SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby Enjl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am

DrMekar wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 pm
Enjl wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 pm
DrMekar wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm
Use the player calibrator and put the custom hitbox ini files you get from it into the level folder.
That's not what I meant. I want to have the right size of the Character for every Episode, so I
wondered to make SMBX read out the ini files and use it in every Episode without having to copy
the Graphics/ini Files in every Episode.
Put them into the costume's folder.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence
Chat Username: DrMekar

Postby DrMekar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am
DrMekar wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 pm
Enjl wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Use the player calibrator and put the custom hitbox ini files you get from it into the level folder.
That's not what I meant. I want to have the right size of the Character for every Episode, so I
wondered to make SMBX read out the ini files and use it in every Episode without having to copy
the Graphics/ini Files in every Episode.
Put them into the costume's folder.
That was my Plan B. So it seems what I had in mind, won't work, okay. Just wanted to be sure
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

Current Project: Mario Heroes 2: The Seal of Darkness
posting.php?mode=edit&f=90&t=23148&p=339823#previewImage

Last Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter

Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

CD20Superness
Bit
Bit
Chat Username: CD20Superness

Postby CD20Superness » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:26 am

So, what happens if I installed it?

Added in 48 minutes 57 seconds:
Sorry for double posting, but this game is least buggy than the older SMBX2 from 2016. It's much more realible.
Get out of my signature, you eeediot!

DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence

Postby DrMekar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Well, okay. After some thinking I decided to use the 'Stay Super' System for MH2 via the PowerUpGuard. When starting a level thought, this message
pops off, but the PowerUpguard works fine.

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm

DrMekar wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm
Well, okay. After some thinking I decided to use the 'Stay Super' System for MH2 via the PowerUpGuard. When starting a level thought, this message
Dunno why you posted in this thread when the code points to your own code file, indicating the error is on your end.
ImageImageImageImage

DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby DrMekar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm
DrMekar wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm
Dunno why you posted in this thread when the code points to your own code file, indicating the error is on your end.
Of course, Sorry.

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

Mr General Guy
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Many stuff

Postby Mr General Guy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Doesn't seem to be an active suggestions thread up. Does this thread double as one, or is there an open thread for suggestions I missed?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm

This thread is for feedback. Feedback includes suggestions.
ImageImageImageImage

mariosonicgamer55677
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: bruh moment
Current Project: Super Mario And The 10 Golden Elements
Chat Username: Dededegenerate

Postby mariosonicgamer55677 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Is it normal for the new SMW thwomps to not have any death animations after you defeat them? I just found out about this when you throw a hammer at one and it shows no effect afterwards. Ive been having bugs with the npc effects in general. It usually happens when I use a custom npc larger than the one it replaced and the death effect of it gets screwed up. Im sure this is a bug because I never had this problem on the original smbx.

Mr General Guy
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Many stuff

Postby Mr General Guy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Alright, I have a few requests (tried to keep it reasonable, most of these suggestions are adding new functions to the game, expanding on existing features/things already in the editors, and QoL changes plus one or two pure wishlisty things)

General
-Not sure how feasible this is, but it would be neat if we could save our preferred editor layouts like in Adobe Animate and other similar products. (Does something like this exist already though? I haven't found anything like it so far...)

World Editor
-Allow us to travel to a location on world maps by typing in the coordinates in some sub-menu or something to transport you there immediately, would be very helpful in editing large world maps. Like, I'm picturing it being an option tied to the "Position Bookmarks" tab. Also, while you can set the coordinates for where Star Warps, Warp Pipes and Doors take you, you can't fast travel to them immediately, so maybe include an option right next to the "Set coordinates" that says "Travel to X Coordinates.
-In terms of world map graphics, damn near everything you could ask for regarding SMW is present, but Super Mario Bros 3 is a bit weirder. Like, I always found it weird there were tilesets for the ground, ice and desert tilesets in SMB3, but there still aren't any Dark Land or Sky Land tilesets available without custom graphics. Those are really the only truly bizarre omissions in the world editor IMO.
- Always thought it'd be neat if the Star Coin Signs from the New Super Mario Bros series (or something similar that serves the same basic purpose) were implemented in a future version; I think they'd be a great inclusion for multiple reasons. I think adding them would really make Toad house feel less expendable. They don't even have to be Toad House exclusive; you could place these signs in front of levels of any type and then set a max number of Star Coins, Dragon Coins or Power Stars needed to remove it. I think this would provide a really interesting route of progression separate from your standard "beat level, unlock next level", and it'd be really solid for puzzle/exploration based episodes. I could see some people taking it to the extreme to make very unique episodes (myself included).

Level Editor
The level editor is already pretty close to perfect to me essentials wise (especially since Charging Chucks are in the game now, plus some other things I didn't even know I wanted), so most of my suggestions here are QoL based with a few basic NPC suggestions/enhancements.
-Allow every boss, not just a few, to be set as a Legacy Boss. (I'm not sure this is currently in or not though).
-Some variation of the basic Goombas that turn around when reaching cliffs.
-Red Gargantuan Koopa Troopas (It really seems like an oversight that green ones currently exist but not red, and while I'm sure this will be changed eventually, doesn't hurt to suggest it)
-I also thought Warp Boxes (from the Super Mario 3D Land games, those orange outlined clear boxes with exclamation marks on the sides that warped you to different places in the level) would be an interesting inclusion. Like, occasionally it gets a little stale traveling through Warp Pipes and Doors, so it'd be nice to have a third warp option to switch it up a little bit from time to time.
-Maybe Red and Green Birdos could be included? Just to have all 3 types of Birdo present to switch it up sometimes and a simple way to beef up the boss roster a bit.
-(Now for wishful thinking): Are there any plans to add SMW Ice Tilesets to the base game without mandating custom graphics? I know, Mario World had only one Ice Level, but I love the ice theme and graphics in the game so much, my favorite Mario ice graphics period. Like, I can't think of an amazing justification for it's inclusion apart from variety, but it's hella slick and it'd just make me so happy if it was base game.
-This also seems very wishlisty considering there's nothing ingame that freezes the player to my knowledge, but we have Fire Bros, Sledge Bros, Boomerang Bros and Hammer Bros currently in the game. I think it'd be cool if the final Hammer Bro species, Ice Bros could be added at some point in the future so we could have all five of the Bros in one level editor. (plus, they my favorite bros)
Last edited by Mr General Guy on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Wiimeiser
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Some good ideas, I think the Goombrats and star coin signs in particular would be very useful.

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:48 am

Mr General Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm
General
-Not sure how feasible this is, but it would be neat if we could save our preferred editor layouts like in Adobe Animate and other similar products. (Does something like this exist already though? I haven't found anything like it so far...)
This question is related to PGE rather than to SMBX2.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-Allow every boss, not just a few, to be set as a Legacy Boss. (I'm not sure this is currently in or not though).
I believe it's in-editor. Not sure if it works in-game though.
Mr General Guy wrote:
Well you can use txt configuration for some goomba npc. There is no need for making new type of goomba i think.

Code: Select all

cliffturn = 1

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 am

Mr General Guy wrote:
General
The editor remembers your opened windows and window positions whenever you open it again. Is that what you mean?
Mr General Guy wrote:
-Allow us to travel to a location on world maps by typing in the coordinates in some sub-menu or something to transport you there immediately, would be very helpful in editing large world maps. Like, I'm picturing it being an option tied to the "Position Bookmarks" tab. Also, while you can set the coordinates for where Star Warps, Warp Pipes and Doors take you, you can't fast travel to them immediately, so maybe include an option right next to the "Set coordinates" that says "Travel to X Coordinates.
Currently you can't edit world maps in the editor. That feature is coming in the future, and when it's there there'll probably be some way to debug the map by moving around it effortlessly.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-In terms of world map graphics, damn near everything you could ask for regarding SMW is present, but Super Mario Bros 3 is a bit weirder. Like, I always found it weird there were tilesets for the ground, ice and desert tilesets in SMB3, but there still aren't any Dark Land or Sky Land tilesets available without custom graphics. Those are really the only truly bizarre omissions in the world editor IMO.
We haven't expanded the IDs for world map items yet. In the future, world maps will also have a custom range (751-1000) and more basegame options will be available.
Mr General Guy wrote:
- Always thought it'd be neat if the Star Coin Signs from the New Super Mario Bros series (or something similar that serves the same basic purpose) were implemented in a future version; I think they'd be a great inclusion for multiple reasons.
Same response as the previous point: World map technology is our aim for a future update. It's relatively low-priority compared to fixing and polishing what we have right now.
Mr General Guy wrote:
Legacy Boss only spawns objects on death. Layers and events can do this easily for the ones that don't have it. More precise instructions and ideas would be good for knowing what you expect those settings to do for those bosses.
Mr General Guy wrote:
Goombrats coooould be neat in basegame, but for the time being you can set cliffturn to true on one of the 5 goombas that already exist in the game and resprite its graphic. Low priority, but I see where you're coming from, yeah.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-Red Gargantuan Koopa Troopas (It really seems like an oversight that green ones currently exist but not red, and while I'm sure this will be changed eventually, doesn't hurt to suggest it)
Sure. For the time being you can resprite a koopa and change its size. Same deal as Goombrat. We might add it just for completeness sake sometime.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-I also thought Warp Boxes (from the Super Mario 3D Land games, those orange outlined clear boxes with exclamation marks on the sides that warped you to different places in the level) would be an interesting inclusion. Like, occasionally it gets a little stale traveling through Warp Pipes and Doors, so it'd be nice to have a third warp option to switch it up a little bit from time to time.
Once we can add new warp modes, sure.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-Maybe Red and Green Birdos could be included? Just to have all 3 types of Birdo present to switch it up sometimes and a simple way to beef up the boss roster a bit.
There are very old custom-made scripts for them. Maybe someone could update them to modern technology. Then if the code is good we can adopt it.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-(Now for wishful thinking): Are there any plans to add SMW Ice Tilesets to the base game without mandating custom graphics? I know, Mario World had only one Ice Level, but I love the ice theme and graphics in the game so much, my favorite Mario ice graphics period. Like, I can't think of an amazing justification for it's inclusion apart from variety, but it's hella slick and it'd just make me so happy if it was base game.
Maybe the Mario Maker 2 set, sure. Variety is neat. We're not adding too many new basegame blocks for the sake of not bloating the overall project size too much with situational graphics, so we can't include EVERY tileset. Custom graphics and the custom range are very good for that.
Mr General Guy wrote:
-This also seems very wishlisty considering there's nothing ingame that freezes the player to my knowledge, but we have Fire Bros, Sledge Bros, Boomerang Bros and Hammer Bros currently in the game. I think it'd be cool if the final Hammer Bro species, Ice Bros could be added at some point in the future so we could have all five of the Bros in one level editor. (plus, they my favorite bros)
I think Ice Bros are inherently unfun as an enemy so you would have to ask someone for an npc pack.
ImageImageImageImage

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:11 am

couldn't you make an ice bro anyway by replacing the enemy Fireball graphic with an Iceball? (you just don't get frozen)

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby DrMekar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am

Cedur wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:11 am
couldn't you make an ice bro anyway by replacing the enemy Fireball graphic with an Iceball? (you just don't get frozen)
Not getting Frozen would take away the whole magic, thought I agree Enjl here. Ice Bros truly are the defenition of annoying.

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

GOD_SAMA
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: just a roaming toad
Chat Username: GOD_SAMA

Postby GOD_SAMA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:28 pm

all i care about suggestion wise is that the editor becomes easier to use so that ppl without coding knowledge can get by
expanded animations so mario and others can have a ton of animation frames based on what the user needs or wants (smw mario moves weird than how he moves in his original game and mario maker)
more powerup options and an easier way to add more
mario maker like functionality or just make some things alot easier and intuitive like mario maker
and as for bloat , maybe if smbx2 gets big enough split the download into two or more parts

overall in summary just easier for the user to use without needing to code, even more so than now.
more powerups and more animation frames for the characters
and mario maker like functionality or just make smbx2 a lot more easier to use like mario maker is

in my opinion the amount of time for a complete noob to learn to use smbx would make said noob just say eff it
and move to mario maker 2 just cause it feels like you need a degree to use smbx and a lot of ppl dont or want to spend hours learning how to use this when in mario maker 2 or another pc fan game that will release someday ( mario multiverse) it takes a couple minutes to get the hang of everything
what im saying is
the learning curve for this is too high for ppl that just want something to do simple like i dunno
give link more animation frames for instance

Added in 13 minutes 53 seconds:
just a personal gripe i have with all game engines not just this one
but why on earth does everything need a lot of studying and hours of learning just to do some things
when it would be easier if devs of such engines take into account that some ppl are lazy and dont wanna spend hours upon hours doing that and would rather just point and click
drag and drop
and bang progress to make a thing in less time it would take to spend a long day learning how to do anything with said engine

what im saying is
lol
a game boy is pick up and play
while making a game boy game is a damn hassle and a half

its a dumb analogy but i dont know any other one :( hopefully ppl understand what im trying to convey ...i dont wanna sound like an idiot but i am one when it comes to these things :(

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 pm

The way to achieve ease-of-use in complex programs such as game engines is to reduce complexity. As you correctly point out using Mario Maker as an example, users would have an easier time learning SMBX if concepts like layers, events, custom graphics and episodes were gone. Engines like Unity, Godot, Unreal, and GameMaker let people do just about anything. When leaving beta, we hope to bring SMBX2 to a similar level of freedom, just bound to the mario engine beneath.

For inquiries about a bad editor UI please direct your attention towards PGE.

That said, laziness is not really an excuse, because it's ridiculously easy to move the goalpost when using it as an argument. Someone unwilling to activate their brain when using a program won't bother with even the simplest of creative software. It'd be more constructive to point to specific weaknesses in your experience that make it hard for you to engage with the problem in situations where you are trying your best to engage with it.

Also, if you examine the spritesheet layout for player characters you will find that expanding it to support more animation frames is impossible without breaking every custom character graphic made. Since powerups will always require some form of instructions toward the game (read: code), however, and it's already possible to pull in secondary player spritesheets when necessary through code, I don't really know what you are expecting with that request.

[[
Edit:
Technically there is one way: stacking new frames BELOW all the existing frames. The wrapping would be hell to remember, though.
]]

Splitting the download into 2 or more parts sounds like it would undermine the idea of a standardized version. "Hey your level isn't working!" "Huh? What's going on?" "These blocks don't display!" "You forgot to download part 2 of SMBX2".
There are plans in the future to offload episodes and costumes into separate downloads, but doing so for basegame elements is not possible without invoking that ficticious conversation from the previous sentence.

You also don't have to repeat yourself thrice.
ImageImageImageImage

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm

There is no extended powerup array yet, so you can't add new powerups. But i believe you can add more animations frame to player. People (including devs) told you that link won't get overhaul.

GOD_SAMA
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: just a roaming toad
Chat Username: GOD_SAMA

Postby GOD_SAMA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Core wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm
There is no extended powerup array yet, so you can't add new powerups. But i believe you can add more animations frame to player. People (including devs) told you that link won't get overhaul.
i only used that as an example tho didnt mean to say he should here

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Core wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm
A few days ago in codehaus a conversation explaining how to add new powerups on a per-level or per-episode basis in the PAL release happened, and one post above yours a few lines about loading in secondary player spritesheets when necessary happened. Just to address the non-link related parts.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “LunaLua”