UPDATED - Donkey Kong Country Tilesets and NPCs

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Do not create a topic requesting custom graphic. Do so in Graphic Request.
DoctorBacon
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

UPDATED - Donkey Kong Country Tilesets and NPCs

Postby DoctorBacon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi! I've been playing around with SMBX2 recently, and just started using it a month or three ago. I made some custom GFX based off of DKC and I though I might as well share it sense there seems to be a lack of DKC tilesets.

I currently have made DKC Jungle (Day,Night,Sunset), DKC Cave (Orange,Green), DKC Walkway, DKC2 Ship (Normal,Sunset,Rattle Battle), DKC2 Ship Hold (Normal,Lava,Glimmer), DKC2 Rig, DKC2 Mine, DKC2 Castle, DKC2 Beehive, DKC2 Bayou, and DKC2 Ice Cave.

Keep in mind that some of these tilesets are hard to use. Specifically the Beehive and Ice Cave.

Spoiler: show

Note: The folder name for the Ship Hold files are accidentally named Ship Hull, please ignore that.

Note: The rain effect here are scripted particle effects. Specifically the example rain of the PGE wiki.

I've also added NPCs and enemies.
Just to let you know, some of the enemies are a bit wonky and some look kinda hideous, but I decided to add them anyway.

List of NPCs:
Spoiler: show
Gnawty (Grey,Red)
Klaptrap (Blue,Purple)
Klump
Slippa
Zinger (Yellow,Red,Green,Pink)
Necky
Mini Necky (DKC)
Klomp
Neek
Click-Clack
Flitter
Spiny
Klampon
Kannon (Upwards and Downwards)
Kruncha (Blue,Red)
Klinger
Krook
Mini Necky (DKC2)
Bitesize
Clambo
Croctopus (Blue,Purple)
Puftup (Blue,Brown)
Shuri (Orange,Pink)
Flotsam (Blue,Green)
Lockjaw
Mincers
Banana Collectible
1-Up Balloon
2-Up Balloon
3-Up Balloon
Moving Platform
Skull Cart
Checkpoint Barrel
Throwable Barrel
TnT Barrel
Animal Buddy Box
Krockheads

Also Green Klobber, Yellow Klobber, and Black Klobber, which are new NPCs that use the dummy slots and use custom Lua code. Each runs at a different speed but don't steal anything on contact. When you jump on them they give you a Throwable barrel.
I made this GFX in SMBX2mx3. Not completally sure if that matters, as I have only been using SMBX for a month or two.

Download Link:
I'm planning to add more to this later, including tilesets for DKC2 Lava and DKC2 Rollercoaster. Also i'm planning on converting all NPCs to new NPCs that use Lua coding and the dummy slots so I can give them sfx and proper death effects.

! If somethng doesn't work please tell me so I can fix it !
Last edited by DoctorBacon on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: DKC Tilesets

Postby MegaDood » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:55 am

Are these done by hand? They look pretty cool. I quite like the coloring on them as well as the shading. I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to upload your enemy sprites, who knows, someone might find some good use out of them.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

DoctorBacon
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby DoctorBacon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm

MegaDood wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:55 am
Are these done by hand? They look pretty cool. I quite like the coloring on them as well as the shading. I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to upload your enemy sprites, who knows, someone might find some good use out of them.
Thanks! I made them by hand in paint.net with reference pictures. I'm planning to make all locations in the DKC trilogy, with the only one I think might be impossible being the beehive.

I'm going to update this soon with the DKC2 Rig, Swamp, and Lava areas. And i'll probably release my enemy sprites soon, I just want to polish them up first.

DoctorBacon
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby DoctorBacon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:44 am

I've had a lot of problems with my computer. I should be uploading this sometime soon if anyone cares.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:08 am

I like how you recreate the graphics from Donkey Kong Country 1 in your own 16-bit style! And I'll give you bonus points for it not being in SMB3 style.

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:41 am

These are pretty good. Thank you.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:08 am
I like how you recreate the graphics from Donkey Kong Country 1 in your own 16-bit style! And I'll give you bonus points for it not being in SMB3 style.
Practically anything that is not in the SMB3 style is really refreshing to me, so I agree with you.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

DoctorBacon
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: UPDATED - DKC Tilesets and NPCs

Postby DoctorBacon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm

I just added new tilesets including DKC Walkway, DKC2 Rig, DKC2 Bayou, DKC2 Beehive, and DKC2 Ice Cave.

I also decided to add all my NPCs, and there are a hecking ton of them.

Wiimeiser
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Re: UPDATED - Donkey Kong Country Tilesets and NPCs

Postby Wiimeiser » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Klobbers aren't working for me, could be due to the fact I renamed them as those NPC IDs were already taken.

DoctorBacon
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: UPDATED - Donkey Kong Country Tilesets and NPCs

Postby DoctorBacon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:14 pm
Klobbers aren't working for me, could be due to the fact I renamed them as those NPC IDs were already taken.
Yeah, the Klobbers are bit of a mess.

If they aren't working, i'd try making sure the lua script has all the ids changed. The lua script checks for the other versions of klobber, so just find all instances of id 800, 801, and 802 inside the script and replace them with the new npc ids you were using.

If that doesn't work, then it might be something with the latest version of smbx, MAGLX3 PAL, because I made them in MAGLX3.

Return to “Graphics”