Page 1 of 2

SMB2 Styled Beach Backgrounds

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:16 am
by Cloth pocket
A simple background I put together from various other parts of SMB2 backgrounds. :)

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Image Image
Download BG With Hills: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv5q48uv4iz7u ... d.zip?dl=0
Download BG With Islands: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mt30m7zb7umv ... 2.zip?dl=0

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 am
by Scroll
Looks pretty good though I think you should replace the hills for something like an island

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 am
by Eri7
I too think it looks good outside of the first layer of water, i don't think it should be that bright. It looks like a cloud instead because of its colors.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am
by Cloth pocket
VanillaDude wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 am
Looks pretty good though I think you should replace the hills for something like an island
That was sort of the idea of hills (to look like an island), but I see your point.
Eri7 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 am
I too think it looks good outside of the first layer of water, i don't think it should be that bright. It looks like a cloud instead because of its colors.
The water used is actually exactly the same as the water in SMB2's ending cutscene, I don't really see the resemblance to clouds, but okay.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:46 am
by Eri7
Cloth pocket wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am
VanillaDude wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 am
Looks pretty good though I think you should replace the hills for something like an island
That was sort of the idea of hills (to look like an island), but I see your point.
Eri7 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 am
I too think it looks good outside of the first layer of water, i don't think it should be that bright. It looks like a cloud instead because of its colors.
The water used is actually exactly the same as the water in SMB2's ending cutscene, I don't really see the resemblance to clouds, but okay.
It's because of its shape that looks like a cloud and the bright color even suggests that its a cloud as well.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm
by Cloth pocket
Eri7 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:46 am
It's because of its shape that looks like a cloud and the bright color even suggests that its a cloud as well.
But the water is almost a completely unedited copy of water used at the end of SMB2 (palette and shape are the same), so it wasn't my choice to make it look like that.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:54 pm
by Scroll
I don't see the resemblance with clouds, it just looks like clear water for me, also the second water layer (the bright one) looks nearer than the first so if it looked far then I'd consider it as a cloud

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:06 pm
by ThePieSkyHigh
Idk what you guys are talking about, this is great

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm
by h2643
There are small hills in that one castle level from the original game you could use to replace those big hills. I actually used them for my version of SMB2 beach bg which's in my GFX pack.

(link in the description below; like, subscribe, ...)

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 am
by FireyPaperMario
h2643 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm
There are small hills in that one castle level from the original game you could use to replace those big hills. I actually used them for my version of SMB2 beach bg which's in my GFX pack.

(link in the description below; like, subscribe, ...)
I can't tell if you're promoting or giving criticism. :?

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 am
by flame
It looks neat imo, though its' a bit bland
can you add like an island or some trees to make it less-bland if you wish?

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 pm
by AirSeus
FireyPaperMario wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 am
h2643 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm
There are small hills in that one castle level from the original game you could use to replace those big hills. I actually used them for my version of SMB2 beach bg which's in my GFX pack.

(link in the description below; like, subscribe, ...)
I can't tell if you're promoting or giving criticism. :?
Lowkey both probably.

I do agree that it does look a little like clouds but it isn't that bad, I don't know how you could mistaken them for clouds though.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 pm
by h2643
AirSeus wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 pm
I don't know how you could mistaken them for clouds though.
To be fair, that piece of background was used as a cloud layer in the original game.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 am
by Cloth pocket
Anyway, since the first one isn't particularly popular, I made another that I hope serves as an adequate replacement, who knows, maybe I could make this into a pack. :)

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mt30m7zb7umv ... 2.zip?dl=0

This one feels more like a beach than the last.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Backgrounds

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 am
by TheLoafLord
Basically perfect for my project. Excellent work!

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Background

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:56 am
by AirSeus
h2643 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 pm
AirSeus wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 pm
I don't know how you could mistaken them for clouds though.
To be fair, that piece of background was used as a cloud layer in the original game.
Ahh, ok, makes more sense now, thank you for confirming that for me.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Backgrounds

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 am
by Scroll
Definitely better. Good job!

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Backgrounds

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am
by Amine Retro
They still look like clouds to me, i have never seen water that bright.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Backgrounds

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:10 pm
by Eri7
Amine Retro wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am
They still look like clouds to me, i have never seen water that bright.
Same, because they are supposed to be clouds, they are directly ripped from one of the SMB2 backgrounds.

Re: SMB2 Styled Beach Backgrounds

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:55 pm
by Cloth pocket
Amine Retro wrote: They still look like clouds to me, i have never seen water that bright.
Water is transparent, so why shouldn't it be bright? if anything, it should be brighter.
Eri7 wrote:
Amine Retro wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am
They still look like clouds to me, i have never seen water that bright.
Same, because they are supposed to be clouds, they are directly ripped from one of the SMB2 backgrounds.
I've always though SMB2's ending cutscene was a window with an ocean behind it, it really doesn't look anything like clouds at all to me.