Scorching Desert

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ZA BARUDO

Scorching Desert

Postby Mudkip » Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm

'sup guys. Time has passed since I made a good level. So many children cried, so many people died, so many people were waiting... But now, the day has finally come - Mudkip released a new level!!!
And this one is the best level I ever made IMO. Even though the name is not the most creative and it doesn't have an aliteration, but it was copied from PMD: Gates and from the music which was used in the level. And guess what, this thing is another Pokémon level designed by me, yay. Btw, don't spoiler yourself about the boss or even the level, it is much better if you don't do so. The level is not hard either.
At the start I thought about using Yveltal as a boss in this level (I even drew it with many frames and imported it to SMBX) but then I changed my mind. Lol. I won't spoiler you about the boss this time :P
Yeah and overused Ace Wasteland is overused, didn't found anything which could fit better than that. though. And I have to admit, it is awesome ^-^
Anyways, screenz here:
Spoiler: show
And a download!
*Click me please to download*

If somebody complains the boss is too hard, I'll change it a bit. But I don't think that one is really hard - Beat it in first try :P

CREDITS:
Boss sprite/s, frame/s - PowerCristal
Desert tileset - Ace
Temple / Castle tileset - Natsu and Mudkip
All those Pokemon enemies - Mudkip
SMB3 Recolors - Mudkip and LegendTony
Propeller Block - Elbow
Chekpoint - Dragonmaster
Boss door - Mudkip
Background (Outside) - Mudkip and reghrhre and Paintland(?)
Warning Sign - bossedit8
Everything else was made by me or the CGFX Pack.
Last edited by Mudkip on Sat May 10, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And with her heart of silver, Silva!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Scorching Desert

Postby Enjl » Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 pm

I rq'd when painfully finding out that Skarmory is a thwomp. True story. Might try to finish it another day, though.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Mudkip » Sat May 10, 2014 1:02 pm

I'll maybe add some information and replacements for the NPCs. Seems like more people were surprised by the moves of the NPCs :P

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:17 am

My playthrough of this Level:

Original YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk56MfZCvAY

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Megar » Sun May 11, 2014 9:52 am

b-but i don't want to murder sandshrew
disgusting

Warlock
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: The maddest of scientists.
Current Project: Looking for the next MAJOR DISCOVERY!
Chat Username: Warlock

Review - Scorching Desert

Postby Warlock » Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Review - Scorching Desert

Gameplay - 27/30

I enjoyed this level very much. I like the way you used the graphics and enemies to create a good looking, and very enjoyable level. I wouldn't change it in any way! I've had an overall look at some of the levels and I don't see anything wrong with it. The level was a little difficult for me as there were some areas in the level in which you placed the NPCs to create a formidable formation that was difficult to pass without using an item or worse, a life. But overall I enjoy this level, and would love to play it again.

Music - 20/20

Wow. The music blew my mind! Almost as if it could be made by you yourself!!! The music wen't brilliantly well with the level, which is a bonus, and there wasn't one area of the level in which the music didn't fit. I enjoyed the music you used for the boss, as it was very exiting for me. That is probably the best score I've ever given for music - being a music genius. (I'm so cocky) :P

Graphics - 30/30

You are on a roll! I liked the way you turned graphics for a different area to support a different theme for a different area. The way you use your graphics is important in a level, as you want a level to look good while being precise. You were presice in your graphics, and I enjoy levels with good and high quality graphics. I also really enjoyed the enemy graphics. You provided detail, and the graphics looked as if they came from the game itself! You showed a sign of precision, which I enjoy seeing in high-quality levels. I am proud of you.

Design - 20/20

The design is very good. The background objects were everywhere, but you didn't spam them. You used a wide variety of background objects and yet again changed a background of one theme to suit another. This is important in levels. You also used hills and NPcs to your advantage. I couldn't be happier with this level.

Total: 97/100

Final Score: 9.7

Grade: A[sup]+[/sup]

Summary

This level is one of the best levels I have ever seen. Your custom graphics were used brilliantly to make a soffisticated, well-designed level. Your NPC formations were formidable, but fair. You designed your level perfectly and used hills and bumps to your advantage. A brilliant level.

A score of A[sup]+[/sup] brings you to The Best Levels section!!!

Congratulations!!!

Peace!

Fabman650
Hey there! I'm just a normal lad. Nothing special about me, I promise.

If you have a New Super Luigi U save file on your Wii U, you automatically unlock the Luigi Bros game in SM3DW.

"I'm not sure if you need serious help, are an idiot, came here to troll, or all three at once. I'm gonna guess all three at once."

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

this review is so heavily unbalanced how do you give more points for graphics than for design and how can music be as important as design like srsly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey FabMan you forgot to move it to Best Levels!

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Mon May 12, 2014 1:53 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Hey FabMan you forgot to move it to Best Levels!
In fact he isn't a level judge...
im bored

Warlock
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: The maddest of scientists.
Current Project: Looking for the next MAJOR DISCOVERY!
Chat Username: Warlock

Postby Warlock » Mon May 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Emral wrote:this review is so heavily unbalanced how do you give more points for graphics than for design and how can music be as important as design like srsly.
Oops! I got the score things mixed up!!!
Hey there! I'm just a normal lad. Nothing special about me, I promise.

If you have a New Super Luigi U save file on your Wii U, you automatically unlock the Luigi Bros game in SM3DW.

"I'm not sure if you need serious help, are an idiot, came here to troll, or all three at once. I'm gonna guess all three at once."

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Mudkip » Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks for that review Fabman650, glad you like my level :D
And thanks @bossedit8 for the playthrough :3

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby TLtimelord » Sat May 31, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm not sure, but I think you're a Pokemon fan.

Visual Appeal
Why, must the random person ask? Because every enemy is a beautifully drawn Pokemon, including the boss(es). All of them fit really well with the theme and the general graphics and scenery of the level is great. Both tilesets worked really well in this what I'm guessing to be a Pokemon desert theme, most likely from a Pokemon Dungeon game. Funny, because I've only seen that Ace tileset used in a couple levels, but it goes incredibly well with Natsu's aztec tileset. I'm going to assume you partially made the background, fusing two different ones together to fit the night desert. I truly didn't see any type of graphical error in this level; everything fit together smoothly and no mistakes like cutoff.
I really like the look of this level. 9/10

Design
The first few sections where the level is outside are both very out and open. For this kind of level, it fits very well with the theme. I liked how the player doesn't realize they're at the bottom of a giant canyon until they take one of the propeller blocks and fly up through a certain area. In return the first section is massive and eventually the sizeables slowed down my SMBX. The temple sections were a bit smaller but they were still a smooth transition and they also tell the player that they're now trapped in corridors instead of outside free. The path leading up to the boss was pretty clever and almost acted like a spiral staircase. I would like to note that there are very few powerups, and that doesn't compute well for a harder kind of level. A lot of the pipes felt misleading because they seemed to tell the player they were ways to secret sections, but that's just a nitpick of mine.
Nice open desert area and nice, smaller temple sections. 8/10

Gameplay
This level, like I already said, is pretty hard. It's not hard at all in the first area of the level, though it escalates, gladfully not quickly, with the new variety of enemies that appear each time I got further into the level, and the Flygon mini-boss was a really nice touch. Although it was a hard level, it was a fair level, and the placement of enemies was damn near perfect, minus the second flying Gligar (my goodness am I glad you only placed two of those). It could have been a bit nicer if you had indications on what enemies replace what enemies, but that's also a nitpick of mine. The power-ups next to the boss door were definitely not enough for me to survive. That boss is incredibly hard to fight because the fireballs take up so much space on the screen. I would suggest either adding a lot more mushrooms generating in the boss room or making the hitbox of the flames as well as the flames a lot smaller so I can dodge them. Being a hard boss doesn't mean it's a bad one though. It's an astounding boss and I can clearly see you spent a lot of time into making it. It's just so hard for me.
Great NPC placement, hard but fair difficulty up until the boss. 7/10

Music
Amazing music. The outside desert-like music sounds just beautiful and it fits perfectly with the massive, open sections that the first half of the level has. The inside temple music sounds a bit less crazy and great as the outside music does, so that turns into a somewhat rough music transition, even though it fits those sections perfectly. All I can say about the boss music is that it fits perfectly with the Volcarona boss. I'm going to assume this music also comes from Pokemon Dungeon, just like the theme.
Nice music choices to say the least. 8/10

In general, it's a rather difficult level, but it doesn't stop it from being great. Around 7.5/10
Moved to Pretty Good.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Mudkip » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:I'm not sure, but I think you're a Pokemon fan.

Visual Appeal
Why, must the random person ask? Because every enemy is a beautifully drawn Pokemon, including the boss(es). All of them fit really well with the theme and the general graphics and scenery of the level is great. Both tilesets worked really well in this what I'm guessing to be a Pokemon desert theme, most likely from a Pokemon Dungeon game. Funny, because I've only seen that Ace tileset used in a couple levels, but it goes incredibly well with Natsu's aztec tileset. I'm going to assume you partially made the background, fusing two different ones together to fit the night desert. I truly didn't see any type of graphical error in this level; everything fit together smoothly and no mistakes like cutoff.
I really like the look of this level. 9/10

Music
Amazing music. The outside desert-like music sounds just beautiful and it fits perfectly with the massive, open sections that the first half of the level has. The inside temple music sounds a bit less crazy and great as the outside music does, so that turns into a somewhat rough music transition, even though it fits those sections perfectly. All I can say about the boss music is that it fits perfectly with the Volcarona boss. I'm going to assume this music also comes from Pokemon Dungeon, just like the theme.
Nice music choices to say the least. 8/10

In general, it's a rather difficult level, but it doesn't stop it from being great. Around 7.5/10
I am, lol. I thought this is obvious?

Anyways, how is it possible you don't complain about anything in these and don't give it 10/10? Where is the point of doing that <.< Just tell me pls. About the music, yeah most of it is from Pokemon. The first one (outside) is from the new PMD:Gates, also called Scorching Desert. The whole level is based on that music. The inside area (Temple) is from Pokemon Black/2 and White/2. The name of that theme is Relic Castle, a place you fight Volcarona, too. _But the boss music isn't from Pokemon, it's from the new Kirby game Kirby Triple Deluxe and it is the Arena titlescreen theme. (Sounds really epic for a titlescreen theme, eh?) But hey, I'm glad you liked the way I mixed up graphics.
How could this level be hard anyways? I know I rarely use many power-ups in my levels but I was always like this amount should be okay. And for the boss, it's really an easy boss, dude. You can dodge all its attacks by staying on different spot. I know the wide flame attack at the end is a bit harder to dodge since there were rinka spawner but eh, it shouldn't be too hard.. Everybody who tested this level before I released it managed to beat the boss easily and quickly. They even said I should have placed the checkpoint much earlier in the level :P

Anyways, I'm really grateful for your review. Although I can't understand why you didn't give me 10/10 on Visual Appeal and Music. Screw it though, need to add some moar power ups lol.

Return to “Pretty Good”