SMRPG2: The Dream Thief (8/14 - TOTALLY NOT DEAD... but...)

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.

If the game took the characters to another world, which two you most like to see them visit?

Hyrule (The Legend of Zelda)
23%
Dream Land (Kirby)
30%
Mobius (Sonic the Hedgehog)
12%
Planet Zebes (Metroid)
6%
Dracula's Castle (Castlevania)
6%
Kanto (Pokémon)
14%
Other (PM me your ideas!)
8%

Total votes: 125
AxelVoss
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Everything. Fuck it.

SMRPG2: The Dream Thief (8/14 - TOTALLY NOT DEAD... but...)

Postby AxelVoss » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:01 am

Remember Mario RPG? IT WAS A GOOD GAME!!

SUPER MARIO RPG 2:The Dream Thief

So, there I was, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my SMBX career, when all a sudden, I find a Graphics Pack that reminds me of the style of Super Mario RPG for the Super Nintendo. BAM. All my inspiration for this project, right there.

UPDATES: 8/14/14

Spoiler: show
8/14/14
I am most certainly not giving up on my little Mario baby here... but I was hit with another inspiration bug, and I started creating Harry Potter-themed graphics for a mini-project of a few levels length. That's just how it goes for me, I start a project, get a totally different idea, and start devoting my time to it. Besides, a short episode based on Philosopher's Stone wouldn't take nearly as much planning as crafting an entire story from scratch. Thus, I'm putting Dream Thief on hold... just for now. In time, as I near completion of Philosopher's Stone, I shall return to the Mushroom Kingdom to finish what I started. But for now, enjoy the demo of Koopa Castle, and stay tuned for more Mario RPG 2 news!

Farewell... but not really. : )

1/4/14
Yeah, betcha thought I was giving up on SMRPG2, didn'tcha? Huh, didn'tcha? Well, that is a big N-O, faithful viewers. In fact, I've been spending all this time just coming up with ideas for the game and testing out different scenarios in the editor! I want my first release to be absolutely perfect, and perfection takes time and patience from its followers! >w<

...Wanna sneak peek of what I have planned?
Well... okay. I'll show you. Just for you. 'Cause I like ya a lot.

Interesting pics, no? I don't wanna give too much away; just a few little shots to give you an idea of what's to come.

*Please note that these are not images from the final product. Several things will change; For example, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser's NPC forms will eventually be edited to reflect their playable character graphics.

But wait, there's more! Here are some of my progressions in concept and development thus far:

• -I'm doing away with World-Map-based progression, so as to keep the story flowing without the players ending up replaying the same events over and over again. But there will still be a World Map, for the purpose of saving the player's progress.
    -I was originally going to make the Dream Thief title tie into Wart's role in the game. However, in a recent breakthrough, I decided to give the title to another character entirely. He stands in the shadows, watching Mario and the gang, and helping them from afar. Who is he, and what are his motives? You'll have to find out...
    -I'd like to have intermissions throughout the game where you briefly play as other characters, such as Yvan and Wolley (Whom you probably know as Blue and Yellow Toad from NSMBWii), who didn't make it out of Koopa Castle before Wart took it over, and remain trapped inside.
    -Wart and his Nightmare Soldiers have bigger plans than simply taking over the Mushroom Kingdom. What might they be? Well, shoot, I can't tell you that!
    -Most every location from the original SMRPG will be present and open for exploration: Rose Town, Nimbus Land, Kero Sewers, Yo'ster Isle, Pipe Vault, Forest Maze...
    -I'd expect to visit some more modern locales, too. Hope you packed your Star Bits. ;)

Stay tuned for more as it develops! (Get it? I said a funny.)

11/28/14

-Koopa Castle (First Visit) extended, with bug fixes and new miniquests!
-New secret areas added to the map! Wonder how you reach them?
-Twin Bridges level in progress, courtesy of our first Level Designer Trainee, Waddle Derp!

11/16/14
A little peek at a small section of the World Map. Welcome to Mushroom Land!

-Koopa Castle (First Visit) 100% Completed!
-World Map Construction has begun!
-Mushroom Kingdom, Mario Bros' Pad, and Kero Sewers begun!

~The Team~
(LEVEL DESIGNERS WANTED! INQUIRE BY PM!)

Lead Game Designer and Project Manager
AxelVoss

Level Designers
Waddle Derp
?

Beta Testers
FanofSMBX
goombaguy
?

~What IS SMRPG2?~

Essentially, this episode will be a spiritual successor to the critically acclaimed Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Developed by a miraculous pairing of Nintendo and Squaresoft, Mario RPG was one of the greatest SNES games of all time, and I want to make a game that captures the style and spirit of the whimsical, magical Nintendo classic. While it obviously won't have a lot of RPG elements like battle systems, it will make heavy use of events for cutscenes, quests, a party system, and so on.

~The Story~

Well, the game starts out with Mario and Luigi setting out to retrieve the Princess Peach from Koopa Castle (already an inspired plotline), and as always succeeding in this endeavor. But on the return trip, an actual something happens in the form of a bright, sunny rift being torn in the cloudy black skies of the Koopa Kingdom; a gateway between the Mushroom World and a world beyond imagination... from this interdimensional hole in the sky, a former foe emerges to seek vengeance on the four heroes that took his throne.

...And that's all he wrote. Sorry, but you'll have to wait and play it yourself to find out more! :P
*PRO-TIP: Start with the Koopa Castle demo below!*

~The Characters~

MARIO - The Superstar of the Mushroom Kingdom is brave, loyal, and always eager to assist anyone in need; all qualities that perfectly compliment his heroic reputation. Whenever Bowser or some other force threatens the Kingdom and its Princess, Mario leaps into action to save the day. His gameplay style is as basic as his character: he has average speed, jumping power, and strength, and he can use the Spin Jump attack to take out stronger enemies in a single hit and bounce off of spiky enemies.

LUIGI - The younger twin brother of the legendary Super Mario, Luigi counts just as much as his Big Bro. He never really seems to get as much action as his brother anymore. After all, somebody's gotta stay behind to watch the house! But don't worry; he's back in the limelight this time! Luigi boasts his trademark jumping mastery, but also brings over his trademark lack of traction. Watch yourself on those narrow platforms, Weegie!

BOWSER - The big, bad, brawny King of the Koopas once again has to play buddy-buddy with the Mario Bros. to reclaim his castle from the Dream Thief. Whoopie. Bowser can stomp his own minions like anyone else can, but he also make good use of his clawed fists of doom with his Punch, Rising Uppercut and Bowser Bomb attacks. For some reason, when Bowser bashes a block, he gets Hot Wings instead of Super Mushrooms. Huh.

PEACH - Pure of heart and noble of spirit, the Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom has been kidnapped too many times to count. But don't let that fool you; she can certainly hold her own in a fight. Peach's jumping ability is average, but is boosted by her unique ability to float for a short time by pressing and holding the jump button in midair.

??? - A newcomer to Mushroom Land, he came from another world to seek out the help of Mario and friends when the Dream Thief invaded his home and stole his land's greatest treasure. If I tried to describe him at all, it would just plain give it away, so you'll have to wait and see for yourself who he is. ;3

~A Taste of The Dream Thief~

Want a little sample of what to expect from SMRPG2? Check out my recent post: a demo version of the first level of the game at SMRPG2: Koopa Castle!!

Below are some screenshots from the level, to give you an idea of the visuals this game will offer. But, trust me, dear players: the graphics are only the beginning.

~Credit Where Credit is Due~

Of course, I have to thank first and foremost SilverDeoxys593 for his absolutely AMAZING SMBX Redrawn Graphics Pack, which inspired me to start this project in the first place. Other contributors of graphics and sound are listed below (The list will grow as I collect more useful resources).

NOTE: If I happen to use something of yours in the episode, you notice it, and I didn't list you in the credits, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM me at once and correct me; I hate not to give credit where credit is due.
  • -TheNintendoBros for SMB3 Revamped Mario and Luigi
    -Cyberguy and SilverDeoxys593 for Playable Bowser
    -RedYoshi for SMRPG Blue Font Blocks
    -Nintendo for SMRPG music tracks, and for all characters, games and ideas related to this game
    -The SMRPG2 team for game design and concepts
    -SilverDeoxys593's SMBXR GFX Pack for literally everything else

Any Questions?

Last edited by AxelVoss on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: AKA Kiyoshi
Current Project: 6 Returning Coins

Re: SUPER MARIO RPG 2: The Dream Thief

Postby goombaguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:23 pm

I didn't expect such a great project from a newcomer. Awesome job so far!
DISCORD: kiyoshi#0202

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:37 pm

AxelVoss wrote:Remember Mario RPG? IT WAS A GOOD GAME!!
NO IT WASN'T!!!!! At least not to me anyway :/

That aside, this looks like a very good episode! I wish you luck :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Hm this project looks very promising for me. The whole graphics by deoxys, make it look like smrpg as well. The only thing i could do is beta testing this, since my level design skills aren't that great.

Mr Boboo
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: The Wicked Pissah
Current Project: Super Mario & the Journey to Everlast
Chat Username: Roberto

Postby Mr Boboo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:40 pm

There really isn't much to say here other than, this looks really good. I can't wait to see how this progresses.
I just have one question; what makes this an RPG? If there are some actual RPG elements implemented here, it should be quite interesting.
I shall return with a new episode...... soon.

Check out my Mega Man Maker levels!
Breakneck Quarry: ID 189213
Flash Freeze: Coming soon

I support:

HarrisonTheKitsune
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: SMBX and DeviantArt!

Postby HarrisonTheKitsune » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:13 pm

i suggest for the different worlds, you should replace toad and peach with world-specific characters!

also, i'd like to apply for Level Designer.
for cryin' out loud, give me a break! it's hard enough as is!

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:25 pm

^ that wouldn't work since custom character graphic switching a lot makes the game lag and crash.

Okay my questions.
1. Did you make the labels somehow fit on the ingame map tiles or is it just for the gif map?
2. Who's this "he" that wrote the story? Did someone else make this idea?
3. Will this use LunaDLL for quests (collectible items) (global variables). Yes I went there but I think it's fitting for a Mario "RPG" sequel. There's also a shop system you may want to look into and I can link you.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Okay, so I see I need to clear up a few things...
Mr Boboo wrote:There really isn't much to say here other than, this looks really good. I can't wait to see how this progresses.
I just have one question; what makes this an RPG? If there are some actual RPG elements implemented here, it should be quite interesting.
Well... not exactly. This will be a sequel to Mario RPG in the same way that Super Paper Mario continued the Paper Mario games, if you get my meaning. It won't be quite as... "RPG-ish". But there will be plenty of sidequests, cutscene-developed storyline, and hidden content to make up for it.
FanofSMBX wrote:^ that wouldn't work since custom character graphic switching a lot makes the game lag and crash.

Okay my questions.
1. Did you make the labels somehow fit on the ingame map tiles or is it just for the gif map?
2. Who's this "he" that wrote the story? Did someone else make this idea?
3. Will this use LunaDLL for quests (collectible items) (global variables). Yes I went there but I think it's fitting for a Mario "RPG" sequel. There's also a shop system you may want to look into and I can link you.
1.) No, that's just for the gif map; the logo and labels won't be in the game. ^_^;
2.) The "he" is me. It's a slight alteration of the phrase, "That's all she wrote". ^_^;;;
3.) To be honest, I have not given much thought to LunaDLL. It seems like a nice little addon, but in the end, I just never really got around to trying to figure it out. It seems like it's more complicated than necessary, and I don't want my players to have to go through any kind of process just to play the game.
If you think it would add to the experience, and you know someone who could walk me through it, I might look into it anyway, but right now, I don't see the need.
HarrisonTheKitsune wrote:i suggest for the different worlds, you should replace toad and peach with world-specific characters!

also, i'd like to apply for Level Designer.
Uhm... I guess I wasn't very clear. The world-traveling thing isn't really meant to be a huge multidimensional thing. War--er... the Dream Thief!--can travel into and through people's dreams with his army (Hence the term "Dream Thief") to get around and to cause general mayhem. I had the idea that some people might have dreams about other game worlds, since it's not exactly a secret that video game characters can enter each other's worlds at will. (Lookin' at you, Link in Mario Kart 8 and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. Don't even get me started on Smash Bros.)

I already have one major Dream World in mind, actually, and this world and the playable character that comes from it will play a huge part in the storyline. However, it wouldn't hurt to have a few more game world references in there, too. Why not have the heroes fight the Dream Thief's forces in Hyrule, for example? Or Kanto? Or Planet Zebes, or Eagleland, or Altea, or South Island, or anywhere? They may appear here and there as people's Dream Worlds that you can enter and go nuts in.

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 am

I absolutely love the new logo. The Mario looks so nice!

Are you hiring beta testers? I would love to help!
Last edited by Valtteri on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 am

Don't double post, goombaguy.

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:35 am

Valtteri wrote:Don't double post, goombaguy.
I didn't double post. The two posts I made are very far away from each other, and the aren't even close to the same.

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:48 am

After playing the demo level you provided, I can honestly say that I'm hyped for this project. It looks really cool, and fun to play.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks, everyone! Your support really helps keep me going. ^_^
To Mr. goombaguy, and to anyone else who wants to help out, please submit your requests in PM, okay? Okay. ;)

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Re: SMRPG2: The Dream Thief (1/4 - A Few Ideas and Screensho

Postby AxelVoss » Sat May 16, 2015 1:07 am

CHRIST it's been 6 months!!
I wish I had more time to work on this game, what with senior year coming to a close... but I'm not giving up! I'll get back to work as soon as possible! I'm going to finish this game no matter what. >:3

Masterchief
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Mario's Day off: Cousins

Postby Masterchief » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:17 pm

goombaguy wrote:I didn't expect such a great project from a newcomer. Awesome job so far!
I agree with your Opinion to, Looks great so far, keep it up!
Im master chief, I do more then arby cause arby is a queef
very nice
I support
ImageImage Image
My Projects

Image BOMB AKBAR!
Image Image And thats bye bye Joey
Friends

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Re: SMRPG2: The Dream Thief (8/14 - TOTALLY NOT DEAD... but.

Postby AxelVoss » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:30 pm

I am most certainly not giving up on my little Mario baby here... but I was hit with another inspiration bug, and I started creating Harry Potter-themed graphics for a mini-project of a few levels length. That's just how it goes for me, I start a project, get a totally different idea, and start devoting my time to it. Besides, a short episode based on Philosopher's Stone wouldn't take nearly as much planning as crafting an entire story from scratch. Thus, I'm putting Dream Thief on hold... just for now. In time, as I near completion of Philosopher's Stone, I shall return to the Mushroom Kingdom to finish what I started. But for now, enjoy the demo of Koopa Castle, and stay tuned for more Mario RPG 2 news!

Farewell... but not really. : )

SomeRandomGuy
Bit
Bit
Current Project: 404 Project Not Found

Re: SMRPG2: The Dream Thief (8/14 - TOTALLY NOT DEAD... but...)

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:25 am

I would like to be a level tester, I've poked around in the levels section alot and know how the reviews work. Also, I break everything I touch. So I could test the level for anything that could cause it to break or not work properly.

Tepig125
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Current Project: I'm currently working on an episode in SMBX2 that will(hopefully) have a teaser released soon!

Postby Tepig125 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

This is actually very similar to my game, The Darkness, in the sense that the antagonist is able to affect all the universes, not just the Mushroom Kingdom. This is actually looking great! I haven't seen the sneak-peek level yet, due to being on my school PC, but I will try it out soon. Great job, and keep it up! ;)
I have decided to cancel The Darkness in favor of a new project that I am hoping to have a teaser(featuring some gameplay!) for soon. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to The Darkness!
Some of my favorite quotes from games/movies/etc:
"Great, I think I got it. But just in case... Tell me the whole thing again, I wasn't listening." (Emmet, the LEGO Movie)

MrSpoon
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: nothin'

Postby MrSpoon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:18 pm

The Dream Thief? That sounds like Kirby's Adventure to me! Say, I wonder what the antagonist's plan is. Why is it there? Who knows? Only you know! I recommend focusing on the plot. introducing the main antagonist won't be fun if you don't know every how, what, and why. But at the same time, not knowing a character would give the idea that he/she is elusive and mysterious. I like both ways! I think you should either give little information about antagonist that follow the main one, but give very juicy information about the leader. include 1 character that is very mysterious, but 1 character with interesting backstory, especially the main antagonist. It wouldn't be fun looking at something, especially something important and not knowing why it even exist. Have fun making this project!
Some dreams should be left as dreams. I believe in God!
Don't promise anything.

Game
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Game » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:10 pm

Can I help with the world map? I'm not to good with levels but I can manage a world map.

Return to “Projects”