How to use Tilesets in PGE

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

How to use Tilesets in PGE

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:22 pm

So, basically I'm trying to apply a custom tileset palette in PGE (You know, those things that arrange custom tilesets so they'll be easier to use) but I can't get them to work! I've tried placing them in the levels folder, but PGE doesn't seem to register them! I've also tried to reload the level multiple times with no effect! Can someone please tell me how these tilesets work?

Also, the tilesets I'm using come from Sednaiur's SMB1 Expanded GFX Pack, and I'm using the PGE that came with SMBX 2.0 Beta 3.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

kojimkj
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: give PC
Current Project: Idk

Re: How to use Tilesets in PGE

Postby kojimkj » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:So, basically I'm trying to apply a custom tileset palette in PGE (You know, those things that arrange custom tilesets so they'll be easier to use) but I can't get them to work! I've tried placing them in the levels folder, but PGE doesn't seem to register them! I've also tried to reload the level multiple times with no effect! Can someone please tell me how these tilesets work?

Also, the tilesets I'm using come from Sednaiur's SMB1 Expanded GFX Pack, and I'm using the PGE that came with SMBX 2.0 Beta 3.
I think the PGE from SMBX 2.0 is outdated

I don't have a computer, my old one broke so I can't play SMBX or make sprites.

My GFXs packs :

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Older, not so good packs :

Spoiler: show

ImageImageImage

ehh

cool gif by snessy the duck

Gameinsky
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Gameinsky » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Did you include the custom tileset file?
You found my hidden signature... OH NO!

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm

kojimkj wrote:I think the PGE from SMBX 2.0 is outdated
Why would it be outdated in the most recent version that was just released like three days ago lol

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:58 pm

PGE is updated really frequently though. That shouldn't affect it though. Do you have the tileset item box open? If you do then they should be in the custom tab of that.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

kojimkj
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby kojimkj » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm

PixelPest wrote:
kojimkj wrote:I think the PGE from SMBX 2.0 is outdated
Why would it be outdated in the most recent version that was just released like three days ago lol
There is a new SMBX 2.0 Version?

My GFXs packs :

ImageImageImage

ehh

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm

There's a new announcement. It says SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

kojimkj
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby kojimkj » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:01 pm

PixelPest wrote:There's a new announcement. It says SMBX 2.0 Beta 3
Now I saw it =D

My GFXs packs :

ImageImageImage

ehh

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Here also a stuff to read about Tileset Item Box and how use it:
http://pgehelp.wohlsoft.ru/tools/tileset_itembox.html
It's easy ;-)
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:56 am

I didn't even know that the tileset item box existed, which makes sense since I just started using it! Thank you guys for pointing it out! Now I'll have a much easier time building levels with PGE!

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:I didn't even know that the tileset item box existed, which makes sense since I just started using it! Thank you guys for pointing it out! Now I'll have a much easier time building levels with PGE!
In next version of editor I plan to add a greeting dialog to ask which UI is prefered: classic SMBX-Like (modern item boxes are hidden, shown tileset item-box, toggled sub-windowed mode) or new-modern with all ultimate features (filter-search item-box, document tabs mode, etc.). I just want allow newbies don't dig forums or hate world because "unusually" or "too lazy for learning new stuff". Anyway, ability to toggle both designs is able from Help menu or just by manual hiding / showing item boxes and toggling MDI mode. Also don't forget about draggable tool-bars (you can allign them as you want on any screen position or on any side of window)

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:I didn't even know that the tileset item box existed, which makes sense since I just started using it! Thank you guys for pointing it out! Now I'll have a much easier time building levels with PGE!
In next version of editor I plan to add a greeting dialog to ask which UI is prefered: classic SMBX-Like (modern item boxes are hidden, shown tileset item-box, toggled sub-windowed mode) or new-modern with all ultimate features (filter-search item-box, document tabs mode, etc.). I just want allow newbies don't dig forums or hate world because "unusually" or "too lazy for learning new stuff". Anyway, ability to toggle both designs is able from Help menu or just by manual hiding / showing item boxes and toggling MDI mode. Also don't forget about draggable tool-bars (you can allign them as you want on any screen position or on any side of window)
That's a pretty good idea in my opinion! It allows newbies who just moved on from the Legacy editor to get familiar with the basic features of PGE, and then later enable the Modern features once they've grown used to the new editor! That's a really smart feature if you ask me!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Can you add search (by ID or name) to the tileset itembox new tileset dialogue box?
ImageImageImageImage

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:04 am

Enjl wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
Can you add search (by ID or name) to the tileset itembox new tileset dialogue box?
Technically that can be done as pop-up list of search result, or auto-toggling necessary group and opening necessary category, then blinking border around found element if found one

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic

I'm support:

Return to “Help and Support”