Weird movement glitch?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Weird movement glitch?

Postby Chip Potato » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm

So I downloaded the version of SMBX 2.0 available on Horikawa's website, and it was fun at first, but then I started to notice something seemed screwy with the way my character moved. Today, I tested it and realized what it was, specifically; I can't run to the left and jump at the same time. Running to the right and jumping works fine, and so does every other action, it seems, but for some reason, it won't let me run-jump to the left.

Did I install something wrong, or is this a problem encountered by everyone?
Projects I'm supporting:
Spoiler: show
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: Weird movement glitch?

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Try reconfiguring your controls.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Probably your keyboard locking specific button commands... I had that issue on my new keyboard where apparently pressing that kind of button while going in a specific direction locks up the controls and it's annoying when it happens. Similar issues here and how to solve it!

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Is getting a new keyboard really the only way to fix this? There has to be another way, surely.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!
Current Project: I have no idea rn
Chat Username: *practical

Postby Rhosty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Maybe you should try reinstalling SMBX if changing the controls doesn't work.

ok then
I try to log on whenever I can...sometimes I don't post anything. Just wanted to make my current low activity clear.
My Kongregate account
cringey roblox account

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I tried changing the controls, then I tried reinstalling. Both did not work, which probably means the problem is in the hardware.

Just a reminder: The keyboard isn't letting me jump out of running left only. I can still go left at a normal speed, jump to the left, and run to the left. Anything having to do with running right also works fine. It's just that apparently, pressing Z, X, and the left arrow key at the same time is something I'm not allowed to do.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:56 am

This is very likely to do with how your keyboard works. Most keyboards don't use separate wires for each button. Instead they generalise buttons to rows and columns. In order to compute which key you are pressing, the keys send a current across both the row and column, and your computer can locate a single key well from that.

However, multiple keys at the same time get a bit tricky. It works well for one key press, and it works equally well for two key presses, but three key presses start to produce some issues. See this diagram:

There, the bottom left key will not be picked up, because the logic has no way of determining the difference between that and only two keys being pressed.

This issue is quite hard to avoid. Most gaming keyboards put keys on separate circuits to avoid this, and most good modern keyboards will use a hybrid method that separates out the arrow keys. It's like that when you changed your controls, you just changed them into another configuration that causes this.

Being aware of this can help you find a configuration that works, or you could buy a new keyboard, just be sure it doesn't have the same issue if you do.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 am

My keyboard is similar, though it's hard for me to duckjump to the left rather than simply jumping.

Return to “Help and Support”