Can SMBX be used to make an actual game?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Mystery Man Bro
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: "Real Mario"
Chat Username: M. M. B.

Can SMBX be used to make an actual game?

Postby Mystery Man Bro » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm

I know the phrase "actual game" is super vague but I have a feeling you know what I mean; a game you can see on steam or on the Microsoft store that costs money or at least has ads or micro-transactions. The reason I wanted to make this post was that I really like the SMBX engine and editor and wondered if I could actually publish a fully customized episode on another level (monetized or not.)

It would of course require all graphics and music to be original with leftover files linked to Mario games deleted with only customized files remaining. The episode would have to be opened on its own too; instead of the pop-up, it would have to load the episode directly or an altered title screen. However, I lack knowledge on the editor and engine itself to know whether the physics should be changed or that this is just impossible because copyrighted material is in the files required for the game to work properly.

I don't want to come off as greedy or that publicizing episodes here isn't good enough for more or something, but I just really like SMBX and it's the best editor I have found so far that can make what I want with little to no coding skills. I suppose, the easiest solution is to just move on to a similar editor that isn't linked to copyrighted items, but I'm not quite ready to move on from SMBX yet.
*Law and Order chime*

"...These are their stories..."

Me: "I'm leaving the server because no one cares about my project and I should stop wasting my time here if no one cares. Especially with all the effort I put in just to be ignored. I could've spent my time using an engine that I could actually make a living off of. Good luck to all..."
[REDACTED]: "I'm glad you have realized that you can't make money off of SMBX. People like me want to make games that are fun for other people..."
"Did you really think you could make money off of SMBX?"
Me: What? Where is this coming from? Y' know what I think I'm glad no one's posted here in a month... (So much for speaking from the heart.) Bye... (YEET!)

Eri7
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Chat Username: Eri7

Re: Can SMBX be used to make an actual game?

Postby Eri7 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 pm

As far as i know , i don't think so
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.

I support:

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Non mi avete fatto niente
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki

Postby Cedur » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm

If you like SMBX then be glad that it's completely for free and directly accessible for everyone?? How am I supposed to understand the message of this post?

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Electriking
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here.
Current Project: Not Mushroom Kingdom Massacre ATM
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm

You can make games n the form of episodes and in 1.4 allows you to make it into a standalone file (but this encrypts the file, which doesn't really benefit anyone). And you cannot make money off of it, especially if you are greedy, as that will result in you having less money, not more.
Join my Discord server
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Horikawa Otane wrote:lol
thehelmetguy1 wrote:I wonder who was the idiot that made the fake beta 4 announcement
Enjl wrote:Apologies for knowing how to research.
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.
Literally me when I read that post lol
The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?
WARNING: Quill is in here: show

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: -chan ^^

Postby Enjl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm

SMBX internally uses copyrighted material and references so you're better off using a generic platformer or game engine like Unity or GameMaker.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
Spoiler: show
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Mystery Man Bro
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: "Real Mario"
Chat Username: M. M. B.

Postby Mystery Man Bro » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies, was not expecting to get this many so fast. If you think I'm greedy for mentioning monetization I was only using it as a way of further explaining what I meant by "actual game" and nothing more. SMBX is free to download so it should be free to play, I was just wanting to think aloud. And my question has been answered!
Electriking wrote: You can make games n the form of episodes and in 1.4 allows you to make it into a standalone file (but this encrypts the file, which doesn't really benefit anyone). And you cannot make money off of it, especially if you are greedy, as that will result in you having less money, not more.
Enjl wrote: SMBX internally uses copyrighted material and references so you're better off using a generic platformer or game engine like Unity or GameMaker.
While I am still using SMBX, it seems the solution is to move onto a different engine which I will do eventually at some point. SMBX is legal to use but only for non-profit, as it should be, but it's a shame this amazing editor is limited by its copyrighted material.
Thanks again for answering!
*Law and Order chime*

"...These are their stories..."

Me: "I'm leaving the server because no one cares about my project and I should stop wasting my time here if no one cares. Especially with all the effort I put in just to be ignored. I could've spent my time using an engine that I could actually make a living off of. Good luck to all..."
[REDACTED]: "I'm glad you have realized that you can't make money off of SMBX. People like me want to make games that are fun for other people..."
"Did you really think you could make money off of SMBX?"
Me: What? Where is this coming from? Y' know what I think I'm glad no one's posted here in a month... (So much for speaking from the heart.) Bye... (YEET!)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: -chan ^^

Postby Enjl » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 am

Mystery Man Bro wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm
Enjl wrote: SMBX internally uses copyrighted material and references so you're better off using a generic platformer or game engine like Unity or GameMaker.
While I am still using SMBX, it seems the solution is to move onto a different engine which I will do eventually at some point. SMBX is legal to use but only for non-profit, as it should be, but it's a shame this amazing editor is limited by its copyrighted material.
Thanks again for answering!
It's kind of a shame, but certain limitations tend to come with editors that make some stuff really easy for its users. I find SMBX to be a fantastic stepping stool and using it gave me a big boost when it comes to spriting, game design and scripting. Using bigger engines might be overwhelming at first so familiarising oneself with design processes in an easy level editor like this is pretty valuable.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Hoeloe
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 am

Enjl wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 am
It's kind of a shame, but certain limitations tend to come with editors that make some stuff really easy for its users. I find SMBX to be a fantastic stepping stool and using it gave me a big boost when it comes to spriting, game design and scripting. Using bigger engines might be overwhelming at first so familiarising oneself with design processes in an easy level editor like this is pretty valuable.
Want to second this. I cut my teeth on flash games and mods, but editors like this where many mechanics are pre-made are an incredibly useful resource for practising design.

Return to “Help and Support”