A good recording software?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

A good recording software?

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:36 pm

OK, first, I know it has been asked a million of times, I read and I find a lot of sugerences, however, some programs aren't compatible with my PC or have too much lag

Here's an example: I used Bandicam, worked well until I wanted to record SMBX, and it's infernal because no matter what configuration I use, it's impossible to play the game while recording!

If someone knows a good software please tell me, and a software that doesn't need a good computer because mine is... well... it doesn't even open SMBX2... it's that bad

My project:

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Re: A good recording software?

Postby PixelPest » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm

What made it impossible? Too much lag? I hear a lot of people use OBS however it doesn't work on my computer

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm
What made it impossible? Too much lag? I hear a lot of people use OBS however it doesn't work on my computer
Same here, it doesn't work in my computer neither

The problem is mainly the lag, like the game runs almost perfectly and when I turn the recorder it gets an infernal lag that makes the game impossible to play

The lag also makes the recorder slower, I mean it takes a lot to begin to record and when it finally begins and I take a look at the video... the video looks laggy, weird and buggy, and some parts are cut and the video doesn't start where it should

My project:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Recording in itself already requires some level of processing power. SMBX isn't the cheapest software in terms of memory usage (thanks redigit). OBS is VERY lightweight but you have to fiddle with the settings for a while to get a good compromise between pixels and framerate.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Animebryan
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Legacy of the Stars & Zelda II Remake

Postby Animebryan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm

If your computer is that bad then maybe playing SMBX while recording is a no-go. For the record, I use Hyper Cam 4. Records good & doesn't lag the game for me, but since your computer is THAT bad, it may or may not work for you. Not only that, its hard to find a free program that doesn't ruin your videos with a stupid watermark or even one that captures the screen itself. I've had problems with Hyper Cam recording games that have a 'special window' screen to which the damn thing doesn't record it properly (Binding of Isaac for example).
Ganon: I can't afford to get cancelled on social media Link!

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:30 am

Animebryan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm
If your computer is that bad then maybe playing SMBX while recording is a no-go. For the record, I use Hyper Cam 4. Records good & doesn't lag the game for me, but since your computer is THAT bad, it may or may not work for you. Not only that, its hard to find a free program that doesn't ruin your videos with a stupid watermark or even one that captures the screen itself. I've had problems with Hyper Cam recording games that have a 'special window' screen to which the damn thing doesn't record it properly (Binding of Isaac for example).
Well, I used Hyper Cam 2 and it recorded kinda well, however, the video doesn't have sound and looks kinda blurry when something is moving on screen

My project:

SPEEDIE
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Gamer
Current Project: Super Mario - The 24 Stars
Chat Username: Mariobl0xx

Postby SPEEDIE » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:46 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:36 pm
OK, first, I know it has been asked a million of times, I read and I find a lot of sugerences, however, some programs aren't compatible with my PC or have too much lag

Here's an example: I used Bandicam, worked well until I wanted to record SMBX, and it's infernal because no matter what configuration I use, it's impossible to play the game while recording!

If someone knows a good software please tell me, and a software that doesn't need a good computer because mine is... well... it doesn't even open SMBX2... it's that bad
I have used FRAPS before! I was about to tell you OBS but then I read your whole post! Are you using a32bit or 64bit cpu?
We are a team always creating and releasing Mario content both videos and games!
If you want information on how to join, please visit our discord server: https://discord.gg/xnArmqA
______________________________________________________________________________________
And here's our official youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1eWBp ... aSlZkJa_rg
______________________________________________________________________________________

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm

SPEEDIE wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:46 pm
I have used FRAPS before! I was about to tell you OBS but then I read your whole post! Are you using a32bit or 64bit cpu?
I use a 64-bit cpu version of OBS. And I seriously haven't used it yet on my new laptop. :roll:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm

SPEEDIE wrote:
PopYoshi wrote:

I use a 32 bits cpu. And it's so slow that I think I can become important because I discovered the negatives FPS

My project:

goSciu
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: GIMP Master
Current Project: Not revealed yet project
Chat Username: goSciu

Postby goSciu » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:18 am

About OBS, if you have two graphic cards (ex. Intel and nVidia/AMD), go into the latter control panel and check if OBS uses integrated GPU instead of dedicated. It helps solve a lot of problems.
Just a nice guy.

Current project:
Not gonna reveal yet.
I support:

My nickname is read "gos-chyoo" (IPA - 'ɡɔst͡ɕu) and translates into guy (gUy when stylized)

SPEEDIE
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Gamer
Current Project: Super Mario - The 24 Stars
Chat Username: Mariobl0xx

Postby SPEEDIE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm
SPEEDIE wrote:
PopYoshi wrote:

I use a 32 bits cpu. And it's so slow that I think I can become important because I discovered the negatives FPS
Sorry for not answering, well, most screen recorders should work on 32 bit, but I have another laptop that I only use sometimes from 2009 or something, and OBS is totally unusable and it's a 64 bit processor!
Your best bet that I can give is try out a bunch of different recorders but there isn't a sure thing that you will be able to screen record because it may just be so that if your computer struggles with SMBX, then recording is a no-go!

Screen recording takes a lot of computer power! GTA V takes about 90% of all my ram so recording in 60FPS isn't possible! Streaming is even more intensive for the computer! Your best bet is to search up "Screen recorders" and try out a bunch of them, be careful though as you don't want to get a virus! The only recorder that I can come up with that works pretty well on low end hardware is FRAPS and HyperCam but Hypercam will always have a watermark. Try that out but you may just be up Kaby Lake without a paddle!

Try that out!! That's the best help that I can give!!
We are a team always creating and releasing Mario content both videos and games!
If you want information on how to join, please visit our discord server: https://discord.gg/xnArmqA
And here's our official youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1eWBp ... aSlZkJa_rg

Return to “Help and Support”