What Happens if Net Neutrality Ends

Off-topic discussion.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: The Invasion ln [(π*420/e²)] + log (69*1337¹³)
Chat Username: Thg1

What Happens if Net Neutrality Ends

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Net Neutrality. This stops internet companies from controlling what people do online. This stops the companies from acting on sites and people, making it so they can't ask for fees from sites, or change the internet speed. Put it short: It is your freedom on the internet.

They want to kill it. The government wants to end Net Neutrality.

Many people in the US(And even who doesn't live there, I will explain later) will only lose with this. Do you really want a slower connection, with companies controlling what you can do?

And what if you don't live in the US? Sites like Twitch and Discord will need to pay huge ammounts of money if this law is approved. Discord as we know, as well as many, many other sites may be in serious danger(This post explains well why). Do you want to never be able to use Discord again? Do you want a site that you like to end suddenly? If this law is approved, this may happen. What you can do to help stopping it is spread the word and support the cause here: https://www.battleforthenet.com/
Save Net Neutrality before it is too late.
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
My greatest forum achievement:
Spoiler: show

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Re: What Happens if Net Neutrality Ends

Postby Uzendayo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:42 pm

if Net Neutrality goes down, there is nothing stopping microsoft from bribing all the isps into absolutely destroying connections with discord in an attempt to bring users back to skype. It probably will though. Polls are predicting a 3-2 vote for getting rid of Net Neutrality.
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

superfido2
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Chat Username: Superfido2

Postby superfido2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Uzendayo wrote:if Net Neutrality goes down, there is nothing stopping microsoft from bribing all the isps into absolutely destroying connections with discord in an attempt to bring users back to skype. It probably will though. Polls are predicting a 3-2 vote for getting rid of Net Neutrality.
Dear god, not skype, noooo!

We need discord and to do that we need net neutrality
Signed by: A person

Things that you should support as well
Quotes: show
Enjl wrote: like why is the cutscene sparking the adventure set up by someone teleporting behind the main character, stabbing him in the back and saying an equivalent to "nothin personell kid"
Memes: show
ImageImageImage

AeroMatter
Palom
Palom
Flair: Tamer of Boomers
Chat Username: luigi

Postby AeroMatter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 am

Proprietary program that sells user data vs proprietary program that sells user data. I think the proprietary program that sells user data will win that fight. Some good that the elimination of NN will do is maybe wiping out some SaaSS.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

IceQracker92
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: N/A
Chat Username: IceQracker92

Postby IceQracker92 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:22 am

You do not need to worry about net neutrality if you have a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast. As long as you do not exceed 1 GB of internet usage per month, then you don't have to worry about the stupid dilemma/rigmarole.

So basically, you're all worked up over something so small. That, unless you have a 3rd party ISP and you are on a very short leash for internet usage.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 pm

IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 pm

The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.
Literally me when I read that post lol

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Current Project: You really think I'll finish one?
Chat Username: AirSoos

Postby AirSeus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:59 am

IceQracker92 wrote:You do not need to worry about net neutrality if you have a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast. As long as you do not exceed 1 GB of internet usage per month, then you don't have to worry about the stupid dilemma/rigmarole.

So basically, you're all worked up over something so small. That, unless you have a 3rd party ISP and you are on a very short leash for internet usage.
This hurts to read, like so much, you don't seem to understand do ya? Well, let me slap you with some good ol' copy and paste:

"The Federal Communications Commission took aim at a signature Obama-era regulation Tuesday, unveiling a plan that would give Internet providers broad powers to determine what websites and online services their customers see and use."
"If you don't get the egg, it will fuck you" - Sanct 2017

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Why are you here? I aint good at poetry?

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young"

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:44 am

I heard from Twitter, I'm pro New Neutrality

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 am

Damn, this really sucks. It's weird to think that huge sites like Twitch and Discord are in danger of shutting down all of a sudden, and I definetly hope that if the law does get approved (Which I'm afraid it's going to be), it'll recieve such major backlash that FCC would be forced to change it back.
Last edited by Snessy the duck on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 am

Keep trying to demonstrate as much as possible, but I'm afraid the end of the story is gonna be the same as always.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Knux » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 am

Uzendayo wrote:if Net Neutrality goes down, there is nothing stopping microsoft from bribing all the isps into absolutely destroying connections with discord in an attempt to bring users back to skype. It probably will though. Polls are predicting a 3-2 vote for getting rid of Net Neutrality.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:05 am

So yeah, if you are American, make sure to make the effort to avoid the third world. These twats are planning to ruin your lives.
Signatures are overrated.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:09 am

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

AeroMatter
Palom
Palom

Postby AeroMatter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 pm

I support net neutrality but I think getting rid of DRM laws, DMCA, 1996 Telecommunications Act is way more important.
Last edited by AeroMatter on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:03 pm

So this video states that the FCC should not be doing what they are doing because there is a majority that are disaproving the NET neutrality repeals.
Signatures are overrated.

AeroMatter
Palom
Palom

Postby AeroMatter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Here's a thought. Hosting a website is very inexpensive, rates are pennies per GB of storage. Same thing goes for bandwidth used. Sites put ads on their web pages in order to pay their bill. These ads bloat websites and can add up to several MBs which is relevant to people with data caps/care about performance. These ads pay site owners pennies, and will be a bigger problem for consumers and site owners if net neutrality enforcement ends. Since it costs pennies to visit a site on a plan with a data cap, and without net neutrality enforcing a standard practice for bandwidth, a plan could exist that replaces this pseudo-microtransaction way of doings this. ISPs would be able to set up a system where it would be site owners paying for the cost of bloat which upends the ad monetization system, and disincentivizes unnecessary scripts and inefficient practices. For example an ISP plan could be one rate for pages that weigh a few hundred KB, another rate for pages weighing more than 1MB, another rate for pages weighing more than 5MB, and so on. Ads would only be present to pay for hosting as necessary rather than shoved anywhere possible, and other models that aren't resource intensive such as affiliate marketing would thrive more. As for video streaming on YouTube and Netflix which downloads at about 1Mb/s (i.e. about 1 standard website per second), this model is not sustainable and only companies that can burn money with their huge amount of capital can provide these services. It's basically impossible for a viable alternative to spring up due to the infrastructure needed to start with, and with the problem of governments enforcing anti-consumer laws that protect companies like YouTube and Netflix. Without net neutrality, these companies would have to pay a lot more to operate to a point where they would be forced to adapt to more efficient and less restrictive technologies or go out of business. ISPs could do all this or create an actual microtransaction system for data which still keeps the changed incentives, but adds an annoyance that may still be worth it since ad monetization and bloat are undermined.

ISPs in America should be dealt with by getting rid of the 1998 Telecommunications Act, the DMCA, and enforcing strict anti-trust laws. With or without net neutrality they'll be fine, and more focus should be on getting rid of their protections that allow them to be monopolies rather than allowing them to be monopolies but also regulated.

Ran a test on SMBX's homepage too: https://whatdoesmysitecost.com/test/171 ... 5bf56ed784
It costs about $0.12 for people with a data plan to visit this site and that cost would be easily accounted for with the current amount of ads, and trimming down page sizes. This would also be the case for independent small sites that don't use a lot of data either, so the only losers here are the bigger companies that built themselves up with restrictions and ad networks. This is with the best plans, but with monopolistic competition similar rules apply. I'm assuming the FCC won't actually get 5G networks out to make the market more competitive, so I'm not under the impression that ISPs will suddenly become a benevolent force with this.

Also some food for thought:
http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefielQeHZY

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:03 pm

If Net Neutrality actually ends, I'm going to go ape shit crazy!!!!!! And ended up in a mental hospital

Oshi
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: Blue Prince
Current Project: Mostly nothing

Postby Oshi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:33 pm

This got me thinking: could something similar happen in the real world where marketing companies like Walmart or Gamestop have to pay a large fee for every piece of merchandise they sell? In other words, would the government have a complete control of the selling of goods in a store? I mean, I know that they have to pay to have the products shipped to their store, but like there would be an extra payment for when they are actually sold them to the people in store.
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY MAFIA THEN GO TO MOSAIC's MUSEUM OR MINIGAME PLAZA PLEASE. WE NEED PEOPLE TO PLAY GAMES.
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show
My own Discord server: https://discord.gg/YgfWZjn

Return to “Sandbox”