Nintendo "Cracking Down" on Speedrunners and Rom-Hacks

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Re: Nintendo "Cracking Down" on Speedrunners and Rom-Hacks

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:34 pm

ShyGuyXP wrote:Is this talking about anything using uncredited Nintendo characters? Because I have a (highly-unfinished) Link's Awakening playthrough that I've been doing, but in every video, I've credited Nintendo.

Even though I shouldn't be worried, since my channel is far from being almost popular. But I'm still a little worried.
It states in the Youtube copyright policy that even if you credit someone or something (in this case Nintendo), they can still copyright claim because you didn't get direct permission from Nintendo.

My channel isn't popular either and I've received copyright notices.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:51 pm

AeroMatter wrote:I'd say just take away their monetization ability on YT and then call it free advertising, and for future videos just require an in-video segment at the beginning and end of the video advertising Nintendo. Tbh they should crack on the piracy sites distributing the ROMs, and emulators since there's no legal gray area there and nobody but pirates would mind.
I agree. It's funny how Nintendo attacks people using illegal software yet they completely ignore people who develop it. I mean, yeah, Nintendo dislikes illegal software creators, but do you see them actually doing anything? Nah, because fucking logic..

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:30 pm

What?!
The let's play thing was far enough, but now it is this?!
I've been watching speedruns and TAS now and then, and now alot of people could be at the risk of loosing their videos (or if 3 copyright strikes, they're users).
Speedrunner example:Wrester is a speedrunner and he does then alot, especially on Pokemon games (He made the WR speedrun of 2:20:20 in Pokemon Heartgold).
And with this, I know that he could loose his record and all of his WRs.
As a matter of fact, Speedrun.com could be at risk with Nintendo doing this.
And for ROM hacks...
WHAAATTT?! This bothers me in a good part.
Nintendo had reffered to these at E3 when we saw footage of the giant Mario Amiibo.
The ones that are bad (and definetley inappropriate) deserve it, but I don't think any of the good ones, especially the best NES rom hack Mario Adventure deserve it.
I was gonna make something special about Mario Adventure in 2016, but how am I gonna do so now (I don't have an Emulator)?!
Nintendo is rich, they shouldn't be wrecking peoples accounts due to the gameplay in it!
They should rather be busy on making plans for 2016.
Sorry for how long this is, it's just that.... WHY?! :x
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

mechamind
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mechamind » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:16 pm

I'll only worry about it if it results in my videos getting blocked instead of just claimed for revenue. Even then, it is just the automated system, as it did claim a few of my videos that were marked as private.
Axiom wrote:Azuritereaction got hit too again.
First he and several others get knocked out for rhythm gaming, and now this?
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

Radishl
Banned
Current Project: Super Mario Hero

Postby Radishl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Nintendo needs to stop before they start loosing us.

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Wow... I usually like to watch that "hardest level ever" SMW level whenever I can't beat a hard task. Now that's probably gone sooner(or already)... :(
The Past still haunts me.

Thundaga_T2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Thundaga_T2 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 am

This could probably mean that at some point they're gonna attack those users who upload the music from their IPs.

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:31 am

Turtwig wrote:It's gonna be SMBX all over again ;A;
What has that to do with this? How many times did we tell people why it was taken down.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:28 am

What's the point of this? It's #@&€!%$#{!ing bullshit. Well, if they were caring about the ROM hacks themselves and not the gameplay videos of them, that wouldn't have been ununderstandable but copyright issues about the gameplay videos of their games, like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox and F-Zero? What's the point of that, they're hurting not just the LPers, but themselves, because their games are usually great and the gameplays would be making them more popular, but no, they can't stay it bc it's their content. Hopefully SMBX episodes wonn't count as ROM hacks.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:32 am

Theres a difference between rom hacks and smbx episodes.

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:30 am

I don't think the actual Nintendo is doing this. It seems like it's just their lawyers being dumbasses. Why would they make Mario Maker and then do this? It doesn't add up.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

AeroMatter
Palom
Palom
Chat Username: aero

Postby AeroMatter » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:48 am

Chip Potato wrote:I don't think the actual Nintendo is doing this. It seems like it's just their lawyers being dumbasses. Why would they make Mario Maker and then do this? It doesn't add up.
Why buy a WiiU + Mario Maker when you can hack roms for free? It's probably because of Mario Maker that this is happening.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:58 am

AeroMatter wrote:
Chip Potato wrote:I don't think the actual Nintendo is doing this. It seems like it's just their lawyers being dumbasses. Why would they make Mario Maker and then do this? It doesn't add up.
Why buy a WiiU + Mario Maker when you can hack roms for free? It's probably because of Mario Maker that this is happening.
I still don't understand it, though. Mario Maker does a lot of things that roms can't do at the moment, and it's got a lot of things going for it. It can easily just be its own thing, and the lawyers could help Nintendo cement that fact by, y'know, not Cease and Desist-ing everything.

I'm really happy Nintendo's trying to encourage kindness and community and all that, and breaking the mold of the typical game-creator company thing, but it seems they still have a ways to go.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

Thundaga_T2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Thundaga_T2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Chip Potato wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:
I still don't understand it, though. Mario Maker does a lot of things that roms can't do at the moment, and it's got a lot of things going for it. It can easily just be its own thing, and the lawyers could help Nintendo cement that fact by, y'know, not Cease and Desist-ing everything.

I'm really happy Nintendo's trying to encourage kindness and community and all that, and breaking the mold of the typical game-creator company thing, but it seems they still have a ways to go.
Actually I doubt there's that much that Mario Maker can do that isnt possible in any rom hacks. Super Mario World is capable of quite a bit of stuff which you wouldnt think was possible in that game with asm hacking.

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Why is this community always comparing mario maker with anything? Is this a new obsession here?

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Why is this community always comparing mario maker with anything? Is this a new obsession here?
Super Mario Maker is the SMBX that never was...

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:39 am

Well F*** Nintendo,im a go get myself a Playstation.

#DealWithIt

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:29 am

Artemis008 wrote:Well F*** Nintendo,im a go get myself a Playstation.

#DealWithIt
have fun with your $400 dvd player
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:19 am

As somebody with intense quality standards for the stuff I create, similar to Nintendo, I think I might understand the company's frustration. If I created something and then saw people taking it and messing around with it in a way I felt wasn't good for the product image, I may very well be inclined to use legal power to take it down. We all have different opinions, and Nintendo might think that somebody playing their games really fast is a gross bastardization of their vision for whatever product is in question. As a creator with high quality standards, it's not surprising that you would want to keep everything related to your creation as close to your standard of quality as possible.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 am

Joey wrote:As somebody with intense quality standards for the stuff I create, similar to Nintendo, I think I might understand the company's frustration. If I created something and then saw people taking it and messing around with it in a way I felt wasn't good for the product image, I may very well be inclined to use legal power to take it down. We all have different opinions, and Nintendo might think that somebody playing their games really fast is a gross bastardization of their vision for whatever product is in question. As a creator with high quality standards, it's not surprising that you would want to keep everything related to your creation as close to your standard of quality as possible.
But some of these game are not even sold by Nintendo anymore,Like SMA4.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Return to “Video Games”