Mount Kuribo

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Mount Kuribo

Postby Enjl » Tue May 13, 2014 10:05 am

Now with 100% more Top 10
This was my CC7 Entry. It's a level with only goombas as enemies. 10th place is where I'm at. Good, round number.
I only got a giant one for you today.
Spoiler: show
made with PlatGenWohl 0.0.7 Developer Edition

I also have an interactive video! Choose your favourite path!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2l3xq ... Kuribo.zip

REVIEWS:
castlewars: 8.67/10
This was an exciting, high-octane level. What was so special about it was the fact that it was just made out of Goombas and nothing else, and the level was super-nonlinear, particularly with the strange and special gimmicks that this level comes with, such as the double cherry and the berry blocks, both of which were pulled off very well, and a particular mention was the fact that some gimmicks can do negative to the player as well as positive, which is incredibly rare, and also the fact that the player can choose one of three paths at the start of the level, and can't turn back, and each section came with its own gimmick, many of which were facilitated by the use of "event switches" which trigger something special in the level, allowing for completion. This level requires the use of a lot of powerups as well, including the Kuribo's Shoe, Propeller Block, and Yoshi, and the signs were interesting, as the underlying message is shown in the graphic itself. However, in terms of design, if the player goes too far left if they took the second path they can see a blank space where the filler blocks end, and this appears to be the case in other sections as well.

Chad: 8.6/10
I really enjoyed this level a lot! It's a very pretty landscape, with several tilesets combining together in ways that look great, and the layout of the level feels very natural yet complex. It's a lot of fun to explore in every way. There's an excellent variety of unique Goombas, and the fake ones are silly. Yoshi and Kuribo's Shoe are implemented really well, especially with how the shoes are attached to Goombas originally wearing them. The propeller block section is built very well, and I really like the signs that tell you whether or not you can use the various items offered in certain areas. The secret passage containing the Goomba coin is neat as well, and is indicated in a perfectly subtle way since it looks like an empty alcove. Interesting purpose for the Double Cherry, making it clone your powerup actually makes a lot of sense. The messages in the level are helpful, but I found the bridge event to be a little unclear, and I couldn't read the message box at first because I didn't realize it was associated with the switch that it disappeared with. Otherwise, impressive work!

Firespike33: 9/10
This level had a solid aesthetic theme--grass and sky--and always stayed consistent. I never noticed any graphical problems. It’s also nonlinear, in all the right ways: it’s obvious what’s a secret and what isn’t, but you have to do some searching to actually find the secrets. There’s a part with a split path (a Yoshi area, Kuribo area and Propeller Block area) which adds even more to the replay value. Everything was well-placed, and there were some cool features like fruit blocks and wooden Goombas that were fun to stomp. My biggest criticism is that none of the cool things like Yoshi last very long. Sometimes you get a Kuribo’s shoe and lose it five seconds later. I know that’s the level’s theme, but I prefer being able to hold onto really fun things like Yoshi. Other than that, really good.

Quill: 8/10
I really enjoyed this level a lot! The split path added some great replay value and the bonus areas were neat, although they were basic and not that impressive reward wise. The three different sections were really good and had lots of variety when you compared them, which I thought was super neat! They could have been more gimmicks introduced to the level such as moving layers to make it more lively, but I thought it was still very good.

Valtteri: 8.5/10
I enjoyed this one. The level surely lives up to its name, many kinds of Goombas can be seen here. The different signs kind of feel excessive, it's like this is supposed to introduce the game to a player who's completely new to Mario. But on the other hand it's pretty cool. Also, I wouldn't mix that many tilesets as it kind of looks messy but overall it's a great level!
Last edited by Enjl on Tue May 27, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Pizza
Current Project: None as of now.

Re: Mount Kuribo

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Tue May 13, 2014 10:17 am

Screenshot is broken...?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:Screenshot is broken...?
It's 4500x4700 pixels. might just be loading. shows for me anyways.
ImageImageImageImage

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Oh, I using the middle mouse button (press down wheel) for horizontal scroll on BIG image.
P.S. small note: You can disable/enable animation in View menu for good view of exported image, I did fix bug with exported image (Made Animation resets to 1-st frame on export) and with this, in 0.0.8 I will add NPC view supports, I did capture all NPC's parameters, and now I can made NPC's module for we can correctly display them on map. And disabling of animation and collisions (placing block over block protection) for speed-up. If on map too many items (>7000-12000), animation effects will be slow performance. This is style, and not need in editing process.

P.P.S., Nice level ;)
Last edited by Wohlstand on Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Pizza
Current Project: None as of now.

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Oh, since it's already reviewed, shouldn't this be moved to the best levels section?

icez
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario:The Rise of Darknesss

Postby icez » Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Permission to do a Play through video please and thank you?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 am

I'm excited how you'd do it. My video is split in 4, because it takes 3 playthroughs. I'd say just wait for ToB6
ImageImageImageImage

icez
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario:The Rise of Darknesss

Postby icez » Wed May 14, 2014 12:58 am

kool thanks probably do a straight playthrough not covering the whole thing just so it doesn't spoil everything for the player and also depending my computer because i've been having difficulty recording anything, computer is kind of temperamental when it comes to recording if i can get something done i will defiantly post if not, its not the end of the world btw your level looks really unique judging from the screen that is though.

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed May 14, 2014 1:04 am

I really like the mix of tilesets. What are those ghosties in the screenshots, though? I don't see them in the video.

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 14, 2014 3:41 am

Ace wrote:I really like the mix of tilesets. What are those ghosties in the screenshots, though? I don't see them in the video.
Ghosties - is a dummy sprite, what temporary replacing NPC's on map (PlatGEnWohl editor <=0.0.7 Alpha), because I didn't made NPC support in editor, but, in 0.0.8 I will add NPC displaying. Understand, what not everything is so simple, on each NPC of ~75 parameters (grid position and GFX position relative by position included), what need for support them.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Sat May 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Because I already have experimental NPC support in 0.0.8, I will send you the same section screenshot, but with NPCs:
http://wohlnet.ru/sentfile/Mount_Kuribo_Section_7.png
(on this screen my editor displayed bug with render frames of goomba, based on "Dry-Bones" skeleton)
Good job, beautiful level ;)

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:40 pm

This level did get the score 9/10 from a judge so it belongs to The Best.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

SilverYoshi100
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SilverYoshi100 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:23 pm

how can I change the item window?

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:48 pm

SilverYoshi100 wrote:how can I change the item window?
What

Also you're off-topic.
im bored

SilverYoshi100
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SilverYoshi100 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:51 pm

[img]that.png[/img] that frame
that.png

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:56 pm

SilverYoshi100 wrote:[img]that.png[/img] that frame
that.png
You should ask for this problem in the help and support forum.
Also, that graphic is hard-coded, and you have to hack SMBX to change it.
im bored

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:22 am

SilverYoshi100 wrote:[img]that.png[/img] that frame
that.png
Darkchao made an extractor program which extracts every hardcoded file for you. I've put a download link to it in the topic for my graphics pack in the graphics subforum on one of the latter pages, if you want to check it out!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Best”