Overgrown (Update 3)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Overgrown (Update 3)

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:04 am

This is a level that's inspired by Mario & the 7 Orbs, which is an awesome project!

Download Link!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ric029jot4wl4 ... 9.zip?dl=0

!! Updates !!
-Level now has the wood/grass theme all the way til the end
-Changed all the spikes to the SMB3 Munchers (or whatever they're called :D)
-Less powerups
-Made the level a bit harder
-There's now a Toad to tell you about the hidden red coins in the beginning of the level
-Invisible 1-up block placement better
-Section 15 Ace coin placement better

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Overgrown Pic 1.png
Overgrown Pic 2.png
Overgrown Pic 3.png

Credits for the gfx are in the folder!
(The SMB3 Koopas shoes are my own recolour, not sure if it's done before but these were made by me)

Thanks to Choco, Turtwig and Imaynotbehere4long for reviewing the level, and thanks to Yogi Bear for giving tips! Much appreciated!
Last edited by Man1234FK on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Overgrown

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:48 am

Looks interesting!
Downloaded and review should come later.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: TBA

Postby Choco » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 am

Same here. I'll review this soon, looks promising.
I'm that guy that you may or may not know who basically died a few months back and decided to exist again.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:50 am

Turtwig wrote:Looks interesting!
Downloaded and review should come later.
Thank you! :)

And Choco too! Thanks alot! :)

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Tango
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: None
Chat Username: Tango

Postby Tango » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:00 am

I see that you are having some problem with the recolored Koopas.

Let me i guess. For the colored Koopas, you used Paint, and save in gif, because it's the way that you make graphics. However you Koopas are having some "static" effect, that let the graphic ugly. I guessed right?

This have a solution. If you don't know use Photoshop or Paint.net, do like me: Make your graphic on paint, save on PNG. After this, download Paint.net and open your graphic, and save in Gif.

Or you can make all easy and make your graphic in Paint.net.

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:03 am

Miles Troopa wrote:I see that you are having some problem with the recolored Koopas.

Let me i guess. For the colored Koopas, you used Paint, and save in gif, because it's the way that you make graphics. However you Koopas are having some "static" effect, that let the graphic ugly. I guessed right?

This have a solution. If you don't know use Photoshop or Paint.net, do like me: Make your graphic on paint, save on PNG. After this, download Paint.net and open your graphic, and save in Gif.

Or you can make all easy and make your graphic in Paint.net.
Hey thanks! I've had the problem for a while now. Much appreciated! I'll use that in the levels i make in the future atleast Maybe i'll fix them for this one but i don't have time to do that right now.

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Choco » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 am

Overgrown
Unofficial Review by Choco[/size][/color]

Design/Gameplay - 5.5/10
Okay, so you made a nice grassland level. But the name of the level is "Overgrown". I do not see anything involving overgrown things here. It's a good level, but it does not adhere to the level name. Another thing I noticed that was missing is a gimmick. You have the... A Coins or whatever they're called, but that's about it. Now, this is one of the few levels that takes linearity, and kills it. Plenty of secrets and exploration, and MOST of them are well executed. Notice that I said MOST. There's one section that bugs me.
In this section, the player falls out of the pipe and onto the platform. I thought it was a death trap. Then I got that red coin, and the two sizeables just appear. But at that point, you have about a second to hop on one. But there are Koopas on both, which may be a death trap in itself. It is possible to easily not get the red coin. And for almost facing death TWICE, you get an A coin (seriously, what are those things called?)
Otherwise, this level is fun to play. But it is somewhat short, and very easy. And to top it all off, you give the player four powerups. As I said, this level is short. And easy. This is coming from someone who isn't that good with playing SMBX levels. I think you could remove one or two of the powerups, or hide them. Also, the section at the end completely forgets about the wood/grass theme. That one is just grass, and it feels kind of empty. The end of the second main section feels the same way. (I'm mainly talking about the emptiness, kind of forgets the wood though) It's an okay level, but it definitely has some room for improvement.

Graphics - 6/10
Okay, the graphics were similar to the level design. Mediocre. I found that the backgrounds are all over the place. Virtually each section has a different background. And the first and second sections are SMB2 backgrounds. This is a SMB3 level. Otherwise, the graphics were nice. I did not find that static on the Koopas that Miles Troopa mentioned. Mostly everything went together, but those spikes are an issue. They do not really fit with a level of this theme, and some of the positions of the spikes create major cutoff, like on the grass. You were able to stick to the SMB3 style you started with. (minus the background) Most things went together, but the waterfalls in Section 19 don't look like they belong there. It was decent overall.

Music - 5/10
You used 3 different tracks in a short level. One of them fits, the other one is giving me mixed feelings, and the third is... no. Just no. The SM3DW Main Menu theme was the okay one... somewhat. At the end of the level, it feels like the level that music should be for. But at the beginning, it just doesn't seem right. The athletic theme you used in two of the bonus sections is a little odd. I get a sky level feeling from that. But it's okay. Just okay. But in the other two bonus sections, you have a cave theme. In a forest. Look, I get what you were aiming for in those two sections. But it still doesn't fit. Sorry, but I have to give your music selections a 5/10.

Overall Score - 5.5/10
It's a decent level. But it has a lot of flaws. This score would plant your level in the Average section.
I'm that guy that you may or may not know who basically died a few months back and decided to exist again.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:49 am

Choco wrote:Overgrown
Unofficial Review by Choco[/size][/color]

Design/Gameplay - 5.5/10
Okay, so you made a nice grassland level. But the name of the level is "Overgrown". I do not see anything involving overgrown things here. It's a good level, but it does not adhere to the level name. Another thing I noticed that was missing is a gimmick. You have the... A Coins or whatever they're called, but that's about it. Now, this is one of the few levels that takes linearity, and kills it. Plenty of secrets and exploration, and MOST of them are well executed. Notice that I said MOST. There's one section that bugs me.
In this section, the player falls out of the pipe and onto the platform. I thought it was a death trap. Then I got that red coin, and the two sizeables just appear. But at that point, you have about a second to hop on one. But there are Koopas on both, which may be a death trap in itself. It is possible to easily not get the red coin. And for almost facing death TWICE, you get an A coin (seriously, what are those things called?)
Otherwise, this level is fun to play. But it is somewhat short, and very easy. And to top it all off, you give the player four powerups. As I said, this level is short. And easy. This is coming from someone who isn't that good with playing SMBX levels. I think you could remove one or two of the powerups, or hide them. Also, the section at the end completely forgets about the wood/grass theme. That one is just grass, and it feels kind of empty. The end of the second main section feels the same way. (I'm mainly talking about the emptiness, kind of forgets the wood though) It's an okay level, but it definitely has some room for improvement.

Graphics - 6/10
Okay, the graphics were similar to the level design. Mediocre. I found that the backgrounds are all over the place. Virtually each section has a different background. And the first and second sections are SMB2 backgrounds. This is a SMB3 level. Otherwise, the graphics were nice. I did not find that static on the Koopas that Miles Troopa mentioned. Mostly everything went together, but those spikes are an issue. They do not really fit with a level of this theme, and some of the positions of the spikes create major cutoff, like on the grass. You were able to stick to the SMB3 style you started with. (minus the background) Most things went together, but the waterfalls in Section 19 don't look like they belong there. It was decent overall.

Music - 5/10
You used 3 different tracks in a short level. One of them fits, the other one is giving me mixed feelings, and the third is... no. Just no. The SM3DW Main Menu theme was the okay one... somewhat. At the end of the level, it feels like the level that music should be for. But at the beginning, it just doesn't seem right. The athletic theme you used in two of the bonus sections is a little odd. I get a sky level feeling from that. But it's okay. Just okay. But in the other two bonus sections, you have a cave theme. In a forest. Look, I get what you were aiming for in those two sections. But it still doesn't fit. Sorry, but I have to give your music selections a 5/10.

Overall Score - 5.5/10
It's a decent level. But it has a lot of flaws. This score would plant your level in the Average section.
Okay, thanks Choco! I have to say that towards the end where there is no wood anymore is meant to be like the moment you get away from the wooden areas but i get why it feels odd. Also it looks like i really need to start making longer levels and step up my level designing.
Oh and i chose the name "Overgrown" because all of the wood is taken over by the grass so i thought that would be appropriate.

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/a troll

Postby h2643 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:53 am

This level has a good use of Vanilla graphics, I like that. However, as Choco stated there are some flaws, so I hope you don't mind on fixing them.
Good job!

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:55 am

h2643 wrote:This level has a good use of Vanilla graphics, I like that. However, as Choco stated there are some flaws, so I hope you don't mind on fixing them.
Good job!
Thanks a lot! I will start fixing the flaws tonight!

EDIT: I just spent hours working on an update, an error occurred and the level doesn't work anymore, it just displays a black screen...
I might work on it tomorrow again but right now i just can't :(

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Overgrown (Update 1)

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Sorry for late reply, I couldn't get on the website for a while.
Anyway...

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of OVERGROWN by MAN1234FK

This was quite a nice level! I enjoyed this a lot.

Design (9.9/10)
Ok, dude, you have managed to impress me here. For such an easy level, this one never got boring. The red coins are both easy AND hard to get at the same time, for it's easy to find them but hard to actually get them. However, some indication of how many red coins there are and what happens when you get them all would be nice, which is why you lose 0.1 points here.

Atmosphere (8/10)
The atmopshere was a bit...all over the place in this level. You start off in an SMB2 forest with SMB3 tiles. Alright, cool. Then when you get one of the Red Coins, you're in an SMB3 fortress. Then for another Red Coin you're in the sky. And the level ends in an SMB3 blocks background. Just...what? There is a lot of tile mixing and nice graphical recolors in this level, and a lot of effort clearly went into it.

Other Comments:
Dis moosik iz katchy :3

Overall 8.95/10 (Pretty Good)
This is FAR better than your last level. Keep it up, bro! :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Choco » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Okay, since this is updated, I'll probably re-review later.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Choco wrote:Okay, since this is updated, I'll probably re-review later.
Btw the A coins are called Ace Coins

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Choco wrote:Okay, since this is updated, I'll probably re-review later.
Hey cool! Thanks :)
Turtwig wrote:Sorry for late reply, I couldn't get on the website for a while.
Anyway...

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of OVERGROWN by MAN1234FK

This was quite a nice level! I enjoyed this a lot.

Design (9.9/10)
Ok, dude, you have managed to impress me here. For such an easy level, this one never got boring. The red coins are both easy AND hard to get at the same time, for it's easy to find them but hard to actually get them. However, some indication of how many red coins there are and what happens when you get them all would be nice, which is why you lose 0.1 points here.

Atmosphere (8/10)
The atmopshere was a bit...all over the place in this level. You start off in an SMB2 forest with SMB3 tiles. Alright, cool. Then when you get one of the Red Coins, you're in an SMB3 fortress. Then for another Red Coin you're in the sky. And the level ends in an SMB3 blocks background. Just...what? There is a lot of tile mixing and nice graphical recolors in this level, and a lot of effort clearly went into it.

Other Comments:
Dis moosik iz katchy :3

Overall 8.95/10 (Pretty Good)
This is FAR better than your last level. Keep it up, bro! :D
Thank you so much!!! I Appreciate the feedback greatly!
Also now i feel bad for changing the music :c
Last edited by underFlo on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Doiuble Post

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Re: Overgrown (Update 2)

Postby Yogi_Bear » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm no level judge, but I think the 1-up invisible blocks (one in section 8 and the other in section 1) that I found were in bad spots. Both almost killed me because I went to make a jump and was pummeled to the ground instead by the block. Other than that the level is great! The level felt overgrown, like an old wooden town overrun by nature. The ending section was nice, I like how you have the sizable blocks and exit positioned. I liked the secret areas as well, but I would suggest dropping the ace coin in section 15 so that its easier to get when small.
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Overgrown (Update 2)

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Yogi_Bear wrote:I'm no level judge, but I think the 1-up invisible blocks (one in section 8 and the other in section 1) that I found were in bad spots. Both almost killed me because I went to make a jump and was pummeled to the ground instead by the block. Other than that the level is great! The level felt overgrown, like an old wooden town overrun by nature. The ending section was nice, I like how you have the sizable blocks and exit positioned. I liked the secret areas as well, but I would suggest dropping the ace coin in section 15 so that its easier to get when small.
Okay thanks a lot! I'll fix these things for sure! :)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

crusher169
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Getting my life together.

Re: Overgrown (Update 3)

Postby crusher169 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:29 am

honestly this level was kind of good.

playthrough:
I'm not good at making signatures.

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 am

Thanks a lot crusher! Awesome that you made a playthrough! :)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:46 pm

Honestly, I was a bit surprised by how good this level is. It's basically a winding linear level that has a few minor branching paths that each contain an Ace coin and a red coin. Plus, it's almost entirely made of vanilla graphics and only uses vanilla music, and what few custom graphics are used are basically recolored vanilla graphics. However, like Miles Troopa mentioned, the SMB3 sprite-swapped SMW Koopas are grainy, and to prevent this, save the image as a PNG and use an image converter to change the graphic to a GIF (I recommend http://www.coolutils.com/online/image-converter/ ). Admittedly, I didn't notice this until after I beat the level, but it's still something that should be fixed. Something else I noticed about the level is that there's no midpoint and only two power-ups (debugger says 3 but the third one doesn't count since it's invisible and not indicated, meaning the player will never find it), but the level is easy enough that this isn't a problem. Seriously, excluding Piranha Plants, most of the NPCs in this level are either Goombas or SMB3-styled Beach Koopas. Even the red coin hunt was really easy, but good job making it look difficult; the appearance of difficulty can give the player a greater sense of accomplishment when he/she gets each coin on his/her first try. My only complaint about the red coin hunt is that the fifth one is just laying out in the open, unguarded! It might as well not be there.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Most graphics look good.
-Music choice fits the level.
-Block placement is well done.

BAD:
-Grainy Koopas.
-Final red coin is just kinda there.
-Most NPCs are either Goombas, SMB3-styled Beach Koopas (might as well be other Goombas), and Piranha Plants (nonthreatening pipe-filler).

In conclusion: Although the level doesn't have much variety with NPCs, the overall level design is good enough that this doesn't hurt the score too much. In fact, if left as-is, this level would work perfectly as the first level in an episode. I'd say this deserves a...6/10.
Last edited by Imaynotbehere4long on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rebalanced score
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Honestly, I was a bit surprised by how good this level is. It's basically a winding linear level that has a few minor branching paths that each contain an Ace coin and a red coin. Plus, it's almost entirely made of vanilla graphics and only uses vanilla music, and what few custom graphics are used are basically recolored vanilla graphics. However, like Miles Troopa mentioned, the SMB3 sprite-swapped SMW Koopas are grainy, and to prevent this, save the image as a PNG and use an image converter to change the graphic to a GIF (I recommend http://www.coolutils.com/online/image-converter/ ). Admittedly, I didn't notice this until after I beat the level, but it's still something that should be fixed. Something else I noticed about the level is that there's no midpoint and only two power-ups (debugger says 3 but the third one doesn't count since it's invisible and not indicated, meaning the player will never find it), but the level is easy enough that this isn't a problem. Seriously, excluding Piranha Plants, most of the NPCs in this level are either Goombas or SMB3-styled Beach Koopas. Even the red coin hunt was really easy, but good job making it look difficult; the appearance of difficulty can give the player a greater sense of accomplishment when he/she gets each coin on his/her first try. My only complaint about the red coin hunt is that the fifth one is just laying out in the open, unguarded! It might as well not be there.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Most graphics look good.
-Music choice fits the level.
-Block placement is well done.

BAD:
-Grainy Koopas.
-Final red coin is just kinda there.
-Most NPCs are either Goombas, SMB3-styled Beach Koopas (might as well be other Goombas), and Piranha Plants (nonthreatening pipe-filler).

In conclusion: Although the level doesn't have much variety with NPCs, the overall level design is good enough that this doesn't hurt the score too much. In fact, if left as-is, this level would work perfectly as the first level in an episode. I'd say this deserves a...6.5/10.

Okay, thanks a lot! I'll fix the koopa graphics when i have more time since they will take a while to fix, and yes this was meant to be like the first level of an episode. I'm very glad you liked it!

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Pretty Good”