Treetop [something]

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Eternity
Pokey
Pokey

Treetop [something]

Postby Eternity » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:50 am

An old level I found and decided to upload. I don't like the design that much now, as I think I can do way better (and my overall design style has changed a lot since it), but I think it can still be fun so decided to throw it here.

Screens:
Spoiler: show
Download!
aka Aeon.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Re: Treetop [something]

Postby Waddle » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:51 pm

I saw a playthrough of this level on YouTube a looooooong time ago.
Still looks awesome.

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Postby Yogi_Bear » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:34 pm

That clash at the end ruined it. 0/10.

Jk, this is a very fun level! The graphics were very nice, there wasnt any cutoff (that I could tell) or clash. My audio is messed up causing the music to sound scratchy (not just for your level, every sound/music file played in SMBX for me sounds like its being played too loud) so I cant give any real feedback on that, but the rest of the level was very nice.

The only suggestions I have are to place more hoopsters (those bug things that climb trees) or remove the one you have. It's weird seeing it at the start, and then never again. Then, I would suggest changing the background sky into a sunset color. I dont know why, but the rest of the level seems very sunset-ish, I think it would help the ambiance.

All in all, a very solid level. Great job!
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Level downloaded! Review will come tomorrow, probably.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:24 am

Ahh, yes. This was for the SMBX Revived contest. I was a judge of that, and I still have the review:

Treetop (something) - 6.8/10
For a level like this, it was decorated rather well, and the right combination of blocks, BGOs and even music was probably chosen. Many of the sections were somewhere between linear and nonlinear in order to make the player do some exploring to find all the red coins and Dragon Coins, and even they were placed in good spots. Instant warps were placed nicely and they worked out well, but the second set seems to be placed a bit too low as the Jump Blocks can go higher than the warps. Then I found another problem along with it - some edges of ceilings have not been extended. While this has been put to good use to hide 3-Ups, in some other cases, the player can just fly over the level; in one case, the player can walk across the ceiling and drop into the second set of instant warps in section 2, bypassing the Jump Blocks.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: TBA

Postby Choco » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am

You may not like it, but it looks pretty promising.
I'll review this when I get back from school and some other stuff I have to do.
I'm that guy that you may or may not know who basically died a few months back and decided to exist again.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:49 am

I am playing it year ago i seen this level on knux forum :)

Yeah design and BGOs placement are amazing but you can find when you bit on end... For it needed leaf and when i fly outside level and what happen? I am just teleport on end level yes that happens where you jump at up and you warped, this place can be like error edit it. I am not collect all red coins but whatever :)
Gets 7.1/10 - Pretty Good
Edit: Sorry for wrong words.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Looks pretty cool. You should recolor the vanilla SMB3 wood blocks to match the grass-covered wood block platforms though.
previously known as Kep

Eternity
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Eternity » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:27 pm

I think they're fine like this. The colors are only slightly different, and it's not like everything needs to use the exact same colors or something. Plus it's a very old level and I don't feel like going back to it to do minor edits :/
aka Aeon.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of TREETOP [something] by AEON

This was...an interesting level

Design (4/10)
This level was a bit...all over the place in terms of design. There are sawblades. EVERYWHERE. There are line rides. EVERYWHERE. These enemies feel very spammed, and don't fit with the rest of the level. The red coins are a neat touch, and they are cleverly placed, but the level was very short and open. If you get to a high place you can use a leaf and pretty much fly over the level.

Atmosphere (7/10)
This level looks nice, but, like I mentioned before, there are sawblades and line rides. EVERYWHERE. Isn't this supposed to be a forest? I can't say if the music fits or not, because I have only heard it in SMG4 videos :P Also why do you go up to the sky at the end?

Other Comments: clash 0/10

Overall 5.5/10 (Average)
This level is...okay, I guess, but it isn't the greatest. But this is an old level anyway :P
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Eternity
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Eternity » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 am

Thanks for the feedback! I agree on that being the major issue with the level, which is why I don't really like it - the design feels all over the place and it doesn't give the players a break, keeps throwing enemies again and again in annoying setups.
aka Aeon.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Aeon, the way you worded the first post makes it seem like this is someone else's level until the part where you said that your design has changed "since it." Before I saw that, I was wondering why you'd upload someone else's level outside the Casual Levels section. I'm just saying that you should word your posts better.

Anyway, my review:

This is actually a really, really well made level. Not only does it have a variety of enemies (which so many levels for some reason fail to have), but the block and NPC placement are also done well and complement each other so that there's never a dull moment (except Section 3; that part was pretty bland and just seemed tacked on, and not because it's a cave while the rest of the level is a treetop mountain). It seemed like every enemy had a purpose and actually contributed something to the level instead of just being there (except the blue Hoopster, admittedly). A good example of this would be the final dragon coin: if the player just tries to rush in and grab it, he/she will get hit by the Grinder or the Volcano Lotus's fireballs. By design alone, the player actually has to think about how to get the dragon coin! It's basically a puzzle, and it's done without the use of switch blocks or fancy events, and that's what makes it really impressive!

On top of having solid level design, there's also an optional red coin hunt that has coins in places that aren't well hidden, but make up for that by being tricky to reach. Admittedly, for the first red coin, if the player isn't fast enough, he/she will miss the line-rider going back and be forced to wait for it to return (and waiting = boring = not fun), and the second red coin can be collected by performing a running jump from the coin blocks to the left (meaning the line rider to the right is entirely pointless), but the coins are still a good addition overall. Even the backgrounds have much attention to detail: in Section 1, the player is just above a forest, so there's foliage in front of the mountains, but when the player jumps up to Section 2, a different background is used to show only the mountains with the forest no longer in view. Honestly, the only flaw I can think of that isn't an exception to something the level does well is that the midpoint is placed too soon in the level; it should at least be at the beginning of Section 2.

After having played the level and figuring out about the player's ability to fly over the level (namely the ceiling at the end of Section 2) by reading the comments, I have to agree that this is another flaw with the level. If I understand the first post correctly and you made this level, why didn't you think to add a secret there like you did with Section 1? Just have it lead to some blocks under a sizable in Section 4; it would fix that problem as well as let the player know that there's at least one secret that he/she missed if he/she missed that secret.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Music fits the level well.
--Level design and NPC placement are some of the best I've ever seen (Disclaimer: besides my own, I haven't played any CC levels; I really should get around to doing that).
-The red coin hunt is well implemented for the most part.

BAD:
-The midpoint is obviously placed before the middle of the level.
-Section 3.
-Random Hoopster.
-Placement of the first red coin can force waiting.
-Placement of the second red coin makes the line rider beside it useless.
-The player can fly over parts of the level, including the rock ceiling at the end of Section 2.

In conclusion:
Like I wrote earlier, this has some of the best level design I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it does have its share of flaws, and because of this, I say that it deserves an 8/10.

As little as three months ago, I wouldn't have thought much of this level; I would have reserved a score like that for a level that does something special. However, after I became a judge and played through 4+ pages of levels, I got a sense of what kinds of levels the community normally makes, and I have realized that a level with design this well done is something special. Thank you for sharing this level with us.

P.S. Again, if you did make this level, where are the songs from? They aren't labeled and they don't have album credits, and this is the biggest pet-peeve I have with SMBX levels; everyone in the community seems to put so much emphasis on crediting who made which custom graphic, but custom music isn't held to the same standard, even though music is just as important as graphics to a level.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Ok seriously is Imaynotbehere4long the only level judge here? seriously let someone else get a chance!
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:04 pm

If the other LJs don't review, then it's their faults. IMNBH4L is only doing his job.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:If the other LJs don't review, then it's their faults. IMNBH4L is only doing his job.
Not really, nickname keeps trying to get a review but IMNBH4L keeps stealing it, they just never get the chance because he takes them all the time.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Superiorstar wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:If the other LJs don't review, then it's their faults. IMNBH4L is only doing his job.
Not really, nickname keeps trying to get a review but IMNBH4L keeps stealing it, they just never get the chance because he takes them all the time.
lol im just lazy

It's not even like there aren't any levels to review anymore.
im a girl yo

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:19 pm

The second update of Subcon Masquerade is still waiting for a review; I'll let you have that one.

Besides, I give the other judges ample time to download, play, and review the levels before I get to them. That's usually why there are a couple of unofficial reviews before my own.

Also, Superiorstar, what do you mean about me stealing levels from Nickname? It's not like he announces which levels he plans on reviewing or anything like that (if he did, I wouldn't "steal" the levels from him).
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Return to “Pretty Good”