The Ceiling of Doom ( CC12 Entry )

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: SMBX: The Mushroom Island

The Ceiling of Doom ( CC12 Entry )

Postby HVMetal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:58 am

Hello!
As the title says this was my CC12 Entry and I got 66th place with it. (3.94/10)
This is a little SMB1 autumn/pipe world styled level, piranha plants as the main antagonists.
There is a little big hazard, the ceiling.
I highly recomend you to read the ReadMe because there are a lots of informations about this level.
This level is based on a fangame called Mario Forever.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Reviews:
66. HVMetal - Ceiling of Doom (3.94/10)
Chad (2.0/10)
A standard SMB1 overworld with similar design conventions, except with a spike ceiling crashing down at random intervals where only some spots are safe. An interesting idea certainly, except the safe spots are very few and very far between. You have to move really quick to get from one to the next, which would be fine if not for the fact that the block and enemy arrangements are actually pretty tricky by themselves. The level is one big speedrun, but no part of the design is actually suitable for a speedrun because most enemies and jumps require some careful action. The layout doesn't even seen to be made with the ceiling in mind, it just feels like a gimmick that was tacked on later and assumed to work. The level would have been decent without it, but the added gimmick makes the difficulty unreasonable.
ElTipsta (4.0/10)
Firstly, I really like the idea and the music and graphics compliment it well. However, there are issues with the execution of this concept. For example, how does the player know which areas are safe? How do they know how far the ceiling goes down? There are no visual indicators. The evnt itself also stops at an odd point, perhaps a couple of microseconds earlier and it would mean that the player is able to crouch on ground that is two tiles high. And some of the NPCs do not help either, meaning the timing has to be very tight, like the first goombas by the first hole. They aren't needed. Take them out. The player will need to do a LOT of trial and error in order to do this level. It's actually very unfair. I never finished this level as it's very frustrating.
Quill (5.3/10)
I really think the space between the zones needs to be shortened. Sometimes, I only just barely get there. That doesn’t even take into account that if I do reach the spot, it’ll usually be flooded with goombas and if I jump, I die.
Shinbison-Kof (3.4/10)
It's creepy how when the smash blocks appear and you're running, you don't have much time to escape them. The smash blocks are an interesting gimmick, but you need to put some warnings where you have to react quickly. The speed of the smash blocks and the npc placement are the biggest problems. There's piranha plant spam which makes it difficult to dodge the smashers. The background has bad quality if you look closely. The big piranha plants are very hard to dodge. Overall it's a strange level. It reminds me of mario forever.
Valtteri (5.0/10)
At first it isn't clear what parts in the level are safe. Other than that it's an okay level. The crushing ceiling is pretty original.
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/idy2d ... f+Doom.zip

Credits also in the readme folder.
Last edited by HVMetal on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prado
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: The Ceiling of Doom ( CC12 Entry )

Postby Prado » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:40 pm

I played a level with the same gimmick in Mario Forever!
Discord server to play SMBX online via Parsec!

https://discord.gg/FftYYMv

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:47 pm

How did I beat this level?
This looks better than some cramped level with a beta version of a playable (my CC12 level).
I like how the main obstacle is the falling ceiling, but is this something that could've been able to be me?
Also, this is the second level that I've seen you made out of "Mario Forever", this makes me question if you're a fan of that fangame.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Prado
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Prado » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Obviously he/she is a fan of Mario Forever
Discord server to play SMBX online via Parsec!

https://discord.gg/FftYYMv

Rawr
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: A SMBX project, I haven't made up a name yet.

Postby Rawr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:37 am

The frequency of these levels in Mario Forever made me hate levels with falling ceiling or rising lava, whatever, but the level itself looks pretty nice, I'll try it out some day.

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: SMBX: The Mushroom Island

Postby HVMetal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 am

Rawr wrote:The frequency of these levels in Mario Forever made me hate levels with falling ceiling or rising lava, whatever, but the level itself looks pretty nice, I'll try it out some day.
They are not frequent. In the 6.0 version the ceiling only appears in Hardcore world 2 - 3, and the rising lava in world 8-3
Ofc, the ceiling became something "popular" and there are minimum 5 levels with this gimmick in MF.
Altough thanks, I hope you'll like it.

Return to “Average”