Perfect SMBX Screenshot Thread 10

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
DrMekar
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence
Chat Username: DrMekar

Re: Perfect SMBX Screenshot Thread 10

Postby DrMekar » Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Well, look at this.

Just the Right Hitbox and Xia's officialy playable ;)
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

Current Project: Mario Heroes 2: The Seal of Darkness

Last Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter

Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!
Current Project: something idk
Chat Username: *practical

Postby Rhosty » Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm

The Koopas look so real lol

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm

DrMekar wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Well, look at this.

Since i am not familiar with the character, he looks a bit weird when firing the samus's projectiles from my perspective, also is he using 1x1 pixels? Are you planning to make him 2x2 pixels to fit with the rest of the stuff?

DrMekar
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence

Postby DrMekar » Wed May 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm
DrMekar wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Well, look at this.

Since i am not familiar with the character, he looks a bit weird when firing the samus's projectiles from my perspective, also is he using 1x1 pixels? Are you planning to make him 2x2 pixels to fit with the rest of the stuff?
It's a She, named Xia. Don't worry, that's just the 1x1 pixels are just Gif "Damage".
Here a closer look on the Character in General: Image
I had made a firing pose, but since Samus used it while running it looked a bit weird, because Xia had to use a Foot to Shoot in terms of Reality, but
while running it was just looking terrible

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Chat Username: PROX

Postby PROX » Tue May 14, 2019 5:15 am

So this a sneak peek at what's to come in the near future.
Spoiler: show
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

My Project (No logo yet): viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18321&start=20

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 am

man i wish the grass colours were uniform... those leaves look pretty dang neat though
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Tue May 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 am
man i wish the grass colours were uniform... those leaves look pretty dang neat though
You know why I did it, but yeah. I guess you and waddle are in the same boat. Anyway, thanks.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

My Graphics Pack:

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Lowser's Conquest "Relowserd"

Postby Sednaiur » Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Just a test of my newly created worldmap graphics for my project to see what additional assets I may need to do and what I might need to change.
The map in the screenshot will not be used for my project, though. I will build a new one.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PROX wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:15 am
So this a sneak peek at what's to come in the near future.
Yes, you really changed your artstyle a lot. And to me it is not to the worse but to the better. ^^
Your style has become a lot less grainy and more clrear, in my opinion.
I like the treetrunks the most.

I have to agree with Enjl on the grass colors, though. I would not color the right and lower borders of the tileset like this. That is because it somehow always looks like those darker sides are non-solid, as this is how it is commonly depicted in other games.
But do what you like to do, I am not gonna stop you or dislike your graphics for it. It still looks really nice and I think I see the amount of work you put into your graphics. :-D

愛している、ビアンカ!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm
Just a test of my newly created worldmap graphics for my project to see what additional assets I may need to do and what I might need to change.
The map in the screenshot will not be used for my project, though. I will build a new one.
Perhaps it might be neat to add some sceneries dedicated to creating a smoother transition between the animated and still waters, if it's not too much trouble. I'd do it by creating some overlays with different corners being gradually more transparent, to let the animation shine through in specific areas only.

Also, stronger contrast between the level dots would be nice, as the difference is difficult to notice if you have redshift on (from f.lux, for example) or are colourblind. I recommend making the regular dots blue, like in the new soup series.

Here's how they look for colourblind people (tool used: color oracle):
ImageImageImageImage

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Ok I can kinda understand why you would say that, but like, the sun isn't hitting that part of the tileset, so why should I make it just as bright? Inverting the shading would also make it look weird too.

My Graphics Pack:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed May 15, 2019 2:03 am

PROX wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Ok I can kinda understand why you would say that, but like, the sun isn't hitting that part of the tileset, so why should I make it just as bright? Inverting the shading would also make it look weird too.
If you're thinking like that, why not go all the way and apply the same to the NPCs and BGOs as well if they're positioned in a place where the tileset or another object would cast a shadow onto them? (Or, on that thought, changing the shadows depending on which way the level twists and turns relative to the sun...) Since going all the way with that idea is way too much work if you don't use normal maps for all lighting anyway, functionality in tileset design often reigns supreme over realistic lighting (making sure all tiles look solid, and simplifying the shape a little to reduce the amount of intermittent pieces necessary).

Thinking about it... a good way might be to simulate different times of day through the tileset would be to imagine the sun moves from the camera position over to the background, in an arc over the level. Would fall in-line with silhouette levels, which is why I thought of it.
ImageImageImageImage

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:03 am
PROX wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm
If you're thinking like that, why not go all the way and apply the same to the NPCs and BGOs as well if they're positioned in a place where the tileset or another object would cast a shadow onto them? (Or, on that thought, changing the shadows depending on which way the level twists and turns relative to the sun...) Since going all the way with that idea is way too much work if you don't use normal maps for all lighting anyway, functionality in tileset design often reigns supreme over realistic lighting (making sure all tiles look solid, and simplifying the shape a little to reduce the amount of intermittent pieces necessary).

Thinking about it... a good way might be to simulate different times of day through the tileset would be to imagine the sun moves from the camera position over to the background, in an arc over the level. Would fall in-line with silhouette levels, which is why I thought of it.
fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. I'll change the colors for some of the tilesets I made back to being more uniform. I will say that the new cave tilesets I made will stay the same though.

My Graphics Pack:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6769&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am

Sednaiur wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm
This looks nice normally, but the Yellow and Red do appear way to close in color. Enjl posting the color blind versions actually helps me see it as well. Not sure how I did not notice the similarity in color in the past.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm
Perhaps it might be neat to add some sceneries dedicated to creating a smoother transition between the animated and still waters, if it's not too much trouble. I'd do it by creating some overlays with different corners being gradually more transparent, to let the animation shine through in specific areas only.

Also, stronger contrast between the level dots would be nice, as the difference is difficult to notice if you have redshift on (from f.lux, for example) or are colourblind. I recommend making the regular dots blue, like in the new soup series.

Here's how they look for colourblind people (tool used: color oracle):
Yes, the way the water cuts off looks really bad and I would gladly do your suggestion. The problem I have is that I got no sceneries left. What I would like to do is having animated sceneries in different shape and size to cover up all the cutoffs that also occur when placing mountains, ledges etc. But to cover up all possible cutoffs in the water-animation, I would need to use up to 20 additional sceneries (or 24 if we cannot resize sceneries/ animated sceneries yet). To make them is no real hassle for me, but to have them to my disposal is the problem.

About the level icons, I already guessed that it could be a problem, so I am not suprised you and MECHDRAGON777 say that. The screenshot shows the levels in their darkest animation frame and yes, that would look too similar. Here are the levels and how they actually are colored:
ImageMaybe that is still a problem? If so, I could come up with a different color then.
Thank you both for the criticism.

愛している、ビアンカ!

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed May 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm
About the level icons, I already guessed that it could be a problem, so I am not suprised you and MECHDRAGON777 say that. The screenshot shows the levels in their darkest animation frame and yes, that would look too similar. Here are the levels and how they actually are colored:
ImageMaybe that is still a problem? If so, I could come up with a different color then.
Apart from the third and fourth frames, the red and orange levels look too similar, and even in those frames, it still looks similar, which would ultimately lead to difficulty in telling what the colour is when playing. It would just be better to use another colour on th orange or red level that is clearly different (like blue) from the others.
Signatures are overrated.

8lue Storm
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm
Current Project: Many, MANY stuff
Chat Username: 8luestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Wed May 15, 2019 1:34 pm

If the player can tell the difference betwen two objects without relying on color (but by shape, symbols or size), it's even better, because, this way, you don't even need to worry about color at all except for the aesthetics side.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed May 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Okay then. I changed the red to a powerful dark blue. Hopefully it is better now.

愛している、ビアンカ!

DrMekar
Pokey
Pokey

Postby DrMekar » Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:07 pm
Okay then. I changed the red to a powerful dark blue. Hopefully it is better now.
This really looks pretty nice, even if I prefer RPG styled Worldmaps over everythink xD

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Coming soon... after I've worked out some more kinks with this...
ImageImageImageImage

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6769&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:07 pm
To me this looks better for the distinction. I also like that I am seeing the Switch Palaces in this style. I wonder if my suggestion about the way you made the tower still stands now, hahaha. I am guessing that the colors would be explained like last in your demo. Though for some reason, I get a vibe that this looks a lot like the Jump 1/2 map for some reason, even if it is not identical...
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now