Welcome one, welcome all! The Third Installment of the Make a Good Level Contest X has officially started!
Please use the talkhaus X3 forums HERE to SIGN UP (you'll need to sign up to see the forums)
Rules for the Contest:
- It is HIGHLY recommended to use the X3 build/2.0 version of SMBX. Version 1.3 is "technically"allowed but is discouraged due to many potential elements to be received in the gimmick’s NPC list to come from the 2.0 build. 38A is not allowed.
- Utilize the SMB3 star exit as your primary exit for the level.
- Secondary exits are allowed, but it is recommended to limit these to just one (1). This includes the use of the SMW star NPC.
- You may work with up to one (1) partner.
- Please limit your choice of player character to the following: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Link, Wario, Klonoa, and Uncle Broadsword. The other characters may be used, but they are in the process of a big rework, so use them with caution.
- PLEASE try and keep the file size somewhat low. If you’re using 5 different .WAV files for your levels, you should probably take a step back and think about what you’re doing.
- Custom assets and Lua are allowed. Just don’t break the game… k?
- No NSFW or offensive content is allowed. Levels submitted that break this rule will be disqualified and excluded from the episode. Judges will decide what is breaking this rule.
- Be wary of any Content ID issues your selected music might cost. The episode will be played through on Youtube, thus be careful on what you select.
This time around, contestants will receive three (3) different lists of items: locations, adjectives, and NPCs. Here’s an example:
Contestants should do the following with their list:
1) Select one (1) item from each list to integrate into your level.
For example, if you chose Iceberg, Tubular, and Wiggler, you should try and craft a level around those terms.
They can be integrated into the level design or aesthetic, or any other way you can think of!
2) After you have selected three terms, select one (1) additional term from ANY list to craft into your level.
Following with the example, you may choose to add on the term Hellish from the ‘adjectives’ list with your current three terms.
Now, you have four (4) terms to work with: Iceberg, Tubular, Kuribo Shoe, and Hellish.
Some other important stuff to note about the gimmick:
• All contestants should plan to make a level around four (4) different terms. Each term will be graded out of five (5) points based on well the term is implemented.
• Mulligans (re-rolls) are allowed, but there is a -5 deduction to the final score for every mulligan used.
• Graphic swaps for the NPCs are allowed. Contestants can utilize the NPC’s AI or character for their term. We’re looking for how well they are used.
• As some could tell, the gimmick has been slightly altered than what it was a year back. Well, I’m simplifying it after sitting on it for about a year or so.
How to participate:
- Post a comment in this thread: https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewforum.php?f=79 or send me a PM/Email @sturgathonX3@gmail.com stating your interest to participate.
- Wait to receive a reply for your gimmick items. (See Gimmick Rules below)
- Use those gimmick items to craft a level in the X3 Build of the SMBX2 engine.
- Make sure the following things are structured properly:
a. Your level file name is formatted as “USERNAME-LEVEL_NAME.lvl”
b. Your custom assets are placed inside the lvl folder.
- Host your file through a file-sharing service like Mega, Dropbox, Google Docs, etc.
- Post the link on the LEVEL SUBMISSION THREAD ON TALKHAUS
• Please post a link to download your final level submission with your selected terms in the talkhaus submission thread. Your gimmick terms can be put into a .txt file (preferred) or listed in the post itself. Just let us know which terms you use.
• Additionally, please put your preferred Username in the level file name.
• Please note that if the file size to be reduced or your level crashes, it is your responsibility to get any necessary fixes done. We’ll contact you if any problems arise trying to play your level.
General Rules to be listed:
- Only post level work and topics in the provided forum on the TALKHAUS. The forum is invisible to guests, so you’ll need to make an account to see the contest forum. However, DO NOT post your contest gimmick ticket publicly, as to keep some element of surprise for everyone.
- All current Talkhaus forum rules apply to the contest forum. Don’t be a jerk, don’t spam, yada-yada etc. etc.
- Because we are using a newly released build of the engine, please use the bug report topic as a mean to report any bugs you might encounter.
All level submission will be due on or before May 31st
Design: 50 points
Creativity: 30 points
Aesthetics: 20 points
Use of Location: 5 points
Use of Adjective: 5 points
Use of NPC: 5 points
Use of Extra Term: 5 points
SMBX2 X3 DOWNLOAD
Official X3 Build Release Thread
Other Helpful Links:
Enji's NEW Tutorial Series (Highly recommend)
SMBX LunaLua Thread (Very helpful for getting some Lua stuff in)
The “Experience” Disclaimer