Applying correctly a gimmick

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Applying correctly a gimmick

Postby PopYoshi » Sun May 05, 2019 3:27 pm

When you decide a gimmick for a level, what's the correct way to apply them correctly? It depends of the gimmick but I'm talking more in a general view without going into an specific terrain.

My project:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Applying correctly a gimmick

Postby Enjl » Sun May 05, 2019 3:56 pm

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm

So first, find a gimmick which provides gameplay interactions, the more, the better, then design few setups based on the interactions and if they are fun to play through, start designing the rest of the level, you can use a level design formula to your advantage as to be able to properly design around the gimmick's interactions and to be able to get ideas on more interactions/setups. That's what i do and for the most part it works.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm
So first, find a gimmick which provides gameplay interactions, the more, the better, then design few setups based on the interactions and if they are fun to play through, start designing the rest of the level, you can use a level design formula to your advantage as to be able to properly design around the gimmick's interactions and to be able to get ideas on more interactions/setups. That's what i do and for the most part it works.
Now I get why there's gimmicks videos instead of levels showcasing the gimmick itself

My project:

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am

Eri7 wrote:
"The more, the better" is not a great stance when it comes to gimmicks. More often than not, one or two "gimmick"-elements and their interactions with other NPCs will suffice. If you start piling gimmicks onto each other you risk overwhelming the player. Combining gimmicks is a splendid design strategy- combining too many gimmicks is not.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:47 am

Waddle wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am
Eri7 wrote:
"The more, the better" is not a great stance when it comes to gimmicks. More often than not, one or two "gimmick"-elements and their interactions with other NPCs will suffice. If you start piling gimmicks onto each other you risk overwhelming the player. Combining gimmicks is a splendid design strategy- combining too many gimmicks is not.
I meant gimmick interaction, PopYoshi if you had only one interaction, the level will be boring since it will be repetitive, providing more interaction through different setups and challenges is what makes the level interesting and fun to play. You can also add twists to your gimmick in order to squeeze out more interactions. Anyways I think waddle misunderstood me but his statement is true as well.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 am

Eri7 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:47 am
Waddle wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am
Eri7 wrote:
I meant gimmick interaction, PopYoshi if you had only one interaction, the level will be boring since it will be repetitive, providing more interaction through different setups and challenges is what makes the level interesting and fun to play. You can also add twists to your gimmick in order to squeeze out more interactions. Anyways I think waddle misunderstood me but his statement is true as well.
Regardless of a perceived misunderstanding, "the more the better" is a flawed stance. Quality over quantity baby.

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm

I'd also recommend this: https://smwc.me/835230
im bored

PopYoshi
Boom Boom