Turtwig's SMBX Level Music Contest (RESULTS!!!)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Turtwig's SMBX Level Music Contest (RESULTS!!!)

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Inspired by MAGL X2

Ok, so here's how this will work. When you join I'll give you an MP3 that contains a song for you to use. You must use this song throughout the majority of your level. There are 3 difficulties, Easy, Medium, and Hard. It's harder to make a Level with the Hard songs. Levels will be judged out of 10 points, and the winner will get a gigantic folder that has a TON of songs in it, the ones that I use to make my levels.

RULES
1. You cannot tell anyone what your mp3 is, or what level you have made before the deadline (March 31st, so you have over a month) April 7th
2. No joke levels or kaizo levels will be accepted.
3. You can't post a collaborated level, or a Level that someone else made.
4. You must use the song that I give you throughout the majority of your level (not just a boss or a small section)

JUDGES
Those who submitted their reviews are bolded.
- Turtwig
- Ludwig Von Koopa
- Waddle Derp
- RudeGuy07
- Imaynotbehere4long

Replacement Judge: witchking666

PARTICIPANTS
Those who submitted are bold. Those who withdrew are striked.

Easy
- Snessy the Duck
- Ludwig von Koopa
- litchh
- Superiorstar
Medium
- RoundPiplup
- Murphmario
- witchking666
- Thetoxicminecrafter1
- Zant
- dagget10
- dragonfan96
- MAN1234FK
- Pivot40Channel
Hard
- Kep
- BlimpFruit
- Nickname
- Waddle Derp
- Enchlore
- Choco
- Horikawa Otane
- Epoch
- glitch4
- VaatiWindMage
Good luck and have fun!
RESULTS
Spoiler: show
5. The Desolation Zone by BlimpFruit (4.03/10)

Imaynotbehere4long (1.5/10)
I made it to the boss's room, but there's no music, and when I kill the Lakitu disguised as a Boom-Boom (the Lakitu's effect isn't sprite-swapped), nothing happens, and I'm stuck. You forgot to make the Lakitu trigger the boss's events, so the level is impossible to beat. It's a shame, too, since the block placement is well done and there's even a bit of variety with NPCs. Also, the bomb's stomped sprite (npc-137) has no graphical indication as to when it will explode, unlike its vanilla counterpart; you should fix that.

RudeGuy07 (6.6/10)
I feel you haven't tested this: some graphic are cutoff, the hitbox of the bullet cannon is weird and the boss doesn't work. Also, I found that there's another section into the editor, but it's impossible to access. Anyway, the level's alright: the NPC placement was always quite good, although I didn't understand why some were in the ground, and the design has some interesting points, for example when the path splits, and in the low route you have to climb some vines to go forward. I felt there weren't enough enough coins (only 56?), though, and the level was short in my opinion. Also, the midpoint was misplaced. The boss idea was a bit interesting, but I think you could have done more with it. Also, you forgot to put the music for the boss' section, but maybe that's Turtwig's fault. (no it isn't)The atmosphere was great, I really liked it! It really resembled a dark world, and the music was really good for it.

Turtwig (4/10)
Aw man, that level was getting good until I got to the boss and it was broken :(
Anyway, the music I gave you is really for an outer-space level, but it fits surprisgingly well in this level's atmosphere. I like the graphics, particularly the background, and this was a fun little level. But, as I mentioned, the boss is broken, which renders the level unbeatable. Much Sadness ;-;
(You should probably fix that so Ludwig can put this level in his hub.)

4. Aerobic Aerodynamics by dragonfan96 (4.26/10)

Imaynotbehere4long (4.5/10)
You screwed up warp 1 and warp 2! Their entrances are Moving Left when they should be Moving Right!

Anyway, judging by the style of the Goombas' sprite-swaps and the fact that they're missing their death effects, I'd say this is dragonfan96's level. I don't know if you made those graphics yourself or if you got them from a gfx pack, but if they don't also have effect sprite-swaps (or they do but you don't use them), it just looks unprofessional.

Moving on: judging by the sparse NPC placement and high power-up concentration in Section 1, it seems as though it's meant to be played with both Lakitus constantly throwing spinies, but the Lakitus can easily be dispatched with a Koopa shell. You know that you can make Lakitus friendly(invulnerable) and their projectiles will still be harmful, right? Also, what's the point of Section 5? It's just a flat line of Goombas and Koopas with some coins on Mushroom blocks; it doesn't really add much to the level other than to give you an excuse to use another song (which doesn't really fit the stage in my opinion). It would be more streamlined if the Player Start Location were put at the beginning of Section 1 instead. Plus, Section 2 was mildly annoying since the player is forced to go back through the same set of hazards to get a second P-Switch just because there's a coin sandwiched between two used blocks.

By the way, I had quite a bit of trouble entering Warp 3; it's probably not a good idea to put warps on slopes.

...wait, there's a second star in the level? And the only way to reach it is by entering a door warp at a specific part in front of a random hill scenery?? Oh, I see...you screwed up the hint I told you about. Not only were you only supposed to have used one type of hill scenery in the entire level, you had to say that others look up to it. The way it is now, nobody will be able to figure that out. You were close, though.

Also, even if you did implement the hint properly, you should place it earlier in the level so that the player won't have to go through the level twice to get the secret star.

RudeGuy07 (3.3/10)
I didn't like this one. First of all, the tileset was a bit unfitting: I think it should be used in clouds levels at night. It's also really bland, and I'm pretty sure there are some decorations with that tileset. There are lots of cutoffs with some of the sceneries and sometimes with the pipes. Speaking of pipes, most of their warps were broken. The NPC placement was unfair at some points, for example in section 2 there are 2 lakitus and it's almost impossible not getting hit at the start. In section 3 you had to get 2 switches to get past an obstacle, and I would have liked it if it wasn't for the fact that you had to go to the same place for 2 times (which is boring) and that you even have to spinjump on some grinders to get to the switches, and some characters can't do it (you should say at the start if you have to use certain characters). There are too much coins in my opinion (547?!) and the NPC placement had little variety. The design wasn't that special, but I liked some points, for example the start of section 3 and the section 5.

Turtwig (5/10)
Uhh...I don't think you tested this level. The first two warps go to the left when they should go to the right. The level is pretty long, but I didn't really enjoy playing it. The part with the three P-switches is boring and it feels like you put it there just to extend your level. Plus, if you lose one of them you can't beat the level, and the grinders despawn rather easily. The part with the appearing/disapperaing switch blocks was neat, but it was easy to despawn the Koopas that controlled the switches. The Yellow switch is undistinguishable from a regular Mystery Block, and I completely missed it and had to go through the room with the disappearing switch blocks again. Then, there's a Toad at the end of the level that gives you a rather confusing hint about hilltops looking up to see amazing things. APPARENTLY, there was a hill without eyes (between a bunch of hills with eyes) that had a hidden door warp on it! HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO FIGURE THAT OUT?!?!?

3. Totally Easy Metal Water Area by RoundPiplup (4.36/10)

Imaynotbehere4long (3.5/10)
You went overboard with the projectiles. Barely one screen into the level, I'm having to wait for moving layers, Bullet Bill cannons, and a Volcano Lotus to align themselves in just the right way so that I'm able to proceed. You should at least keep the Bullet Bill cannons' layer stationary. The only way I was able to make it past that part without dying is by waiting for the layer to be in its rightmost position (or moving right), then just running past everything before they had a chance to spawn more projectiles (at least this is one of only two levels in the contest that actually has a checkpoint). Right after that, there's a staircase of Bullet Bill cannons, a green Koopa, and two red Koopa Paratroopas; The Paratroopas aren't much of a threat, but the Bullet Bill Cannons make it unnecessarily difficult to neutralize the green Koopa. I recommend removing the green Koopa. Not long after reaching Section 2, the player is met with a similar conundrum with a red Koopa in place of the moving layers, but it's not as bad as the last two areas. Also, putting blocks above the top of the section boundary is just unfair since players won't expect it and it throws off the players' jumps. Honestly, if it weren't for those annoying design choices, this could have been a pretty good level. The boss is well done, though; not too easy, but not too long or hard, either.

By the way, for a level this hard, why did you have to make the secret star an SMB3 star? It forces the player to go through everything again just to get the other star, and that's bad design even for easy levels.

RudeGuy07 (3.6/10)
You lied, this wasn't easy at all! Anyway, this wasn't too interesting, except for probably the moving layers, the boss and the joke area. The NPC placement was usually bad, and there were TOO MUCH bullet bills, to the point that I used godmode to advance. Speaking of NPCs, there was very little variety between them. The design wasn't particularly interesting, there were just bullet bills and sometimes moving layers. There was also a joke section with a star, but that too wasn't really interesting. I can't really say much about the design, since it wasn't that interesting. The boss was plain bad: you have to kill a Ludwig NPC while being shoot by lots of bullet bills and it's really annoying. The atmosphere was good, I must say, there was a nice graphical choice and the music was good for the level.

Turtwig (6/10)
That was pretty interesting. The music is really meant for an underwater level, though. So apparently there are magic doors that warp you through time. And the water is supposedly "unswimmable," but it's actually just the water BGO with no actual water. LAZINESS!!! That said. this was a pretty solid level. It had cool gameplay and pretty interesting graphic choices. You went a bit overboard with the enemies in some parts, though. In the nighttime section, it's a bit hard to tell the blocks apart from the BGOs. The boss was a standard Ludwig Von Koopa fight with some Bullet Bills. There was also a secret star in the level, but I couldn't find it. I looked at the secret star section in the editor and I must say that it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen ;-;

2. Dreary Drainpipe by Thetoxicminecrafter1 (4.93/10)

Imaynotbehere4long (7/10)
Okay, there are five dragon coins in the level, but they're divided by a split path. Aside from that, and the fact that the left path is noticeably longer (and a bit more difficult) than the right path despite both leading to the same star, this is a pretty good level with well done block placement and decent NPC variety.

Also, warp 3 is just there to pad out the level; it (and its pipe) should be removed.

RudeGuy07 (5.3/10)
The level was kinda short and straightforward in my opinion. It wasn't particularaly interesting, except for the split path. There was a nice variation between enemies, and the placement is good overall, although I felt the level was empty sometimes. There was some lack of BGOs, but I'm guessing it was because this level is inside a pipe maze. The level and the design was kinda boring sometimes, maybe a gimmick or some more exploration would help. I liked that there were some secrets, although there were only a few. I found some bugs, by the way, for example at the start of the left path there are 2 volcano lotuses, and the player can go where the lowest one is, and he'll be stuck. I really liked the atmosphere: the level feet you were really into a pipe maze, and the music was quite good for this level, but I felt it was too repetitive sometimes.

Turtwig (2.5/10)
Well, um. That happened. There was a section where you could fall to the left or to the right. I went right, got lost for a while, passed a Dragon Coin and then got the star. Then I restarted the level and went left, got lost again, went through a pipe that SENT ME BACKWARDS, got a 1-up, and got the same star. I don't really get it. The music is meant for an underwater level, but it works fine for this level. At least the level had good graphics! :D

1. 8-4 Koopa Troopa Mountain by Ludwig Von Koopa (5.16/10)

Imaynotbehere4long (5.5/10)
The song sounds like it should be in some mechanical/factory area (nope, it's actually supposed to be in a volcano)so what's it doing in a grassland? I suspect you had this level made prior to receiving your song, so you lose points for not finding a proper tile-set and background to fit the song.

Anyway, aside from the music not fitting the level, this is actually a decent level. However, it's quite short (so short that it doesn't even have a midpoint) and only has three dragon coins. There's also an area where the player can get stuck (in between the pipe stairs in Section 2), but it's not that big a deal. Also, you should make sure that the player can't get killed after getting the star.

RudeGuy07 (6/10)
Well, this one was quite nice. It had a quite good atmosphere, nothing wrong here, but the gameplay is quite bad: first off, the level is really short, you could've done more with it. Second, the design is really uninteresting: you basically have to go right for the whole time, except when you have to carry a springboard. The NPC placement is well done, though, I must admit. The music isn't really good for this level, though. Sorry if this was short, but the level was very short and I can't say more than this.

Turtwig (4/10)
The music doesn't really fit with the level. The song that I gave you, Mt. Chimney, is really supposed to be in a volcano area. You didn't know that, so it won't affect your score much. This was an okayish level. It was pretty fun and had good graphics, but the title is pretty unfitting because it implies that the level is for a World 8, but its difficulty is really only good for a World 3 or 4. The level is also pretty short and has a distinct lack of items (2 Fire Flowers and a Yoshi.) Speaking of Yoshi, this thing breaks the entire level. It further emphasizes my point that the level is too easy for a World 8. Plus, the level didn't feel much like a mountain. More like a grasslands/sky kind of level.

And I'll show you witchking's review even though it wasn't calculated into the score.

witchking666 (8.6/10)
welp, this was pretty sick to be honest
i really loved the gameplay of this level
the placement of those bullet bill blasters in comparison to the other npc's were genius
i also really liked the "get the springboard idea" because even though it is used a lot
its fun every single time
there were some mistakes though
in the second sector there was this "stairway" of pipes
it was a pretty cool feature but next to both of the big pipes the was a ledge
if you would fell down there and land on that ledge , you will pretty much have to kill yourself
there were only 84 coins in the entire level, making it pretty much useless to grab them (since a 1-UP is impossible to get)
this is not going to cost you any poins though.
there were some more small mistakes but not big enough to name
the npc's fit the tileset well and that makes the level so much more appealing
i do have one big complaint about a graphic
Why did you use the special blocks that belong to the tileset in the first sector
and then grab the regular smb3 ones in the second sector
they both fit really good but it really annoyed me that the special blocks were diffenrent in bth sections
i dont know if it was meant to be so damn short or if the deadline killed you but i would have like to see more of this

GOOD
Npc-placement
Springboard gimmick
Graphical choices (other the the special blocks)

BAD
Different special blocks
Suicide ledge

i'm giving you a 8.6 for this
good job!

Congratulations to Ludwig! Thanks to all who participated!!!!!
Last edited by JupiHornet on Sat May 02, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 54 times in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Re: Turtwig's SMBX Level Music Contest! :D

Postby silent_ » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:36 pm

in

i want hard
previously known as Kep

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Kep wrote:in

i want hard
K

Also we need judges, lemme know if you wanna be one :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!

BlimpFruit
Bit
Bit

Postby BlimpFruit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Eh, sure why not. I'll take hard.
Not a dash pepper.
Mafia Achievements:
I support:

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 pm

I can't really be at the computer rn so your songs should come sometime tomorrow, for all who joined after RoundPiplup

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:21 pm

You know what? Sure, why not. I'm in.

I'll take a medium-difficulty mp3.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Turtwig wrote:Inspired by MAGL X2

Ok, so here's how this will work. When you join I'll give you an MP3 that contains a song for you to use. You must use this song throughout the majority of your level. There are 3 difficulties, Easy, Medium, and Hard. It's harder to make a Level with the Hard songs. Levels will be judged out of 10 points, and the winner will get a gigantic folder that has a TON of songs in it, the ones that I use to make my levels.

RULES
1. You cannot tell anyone what your mp3 is, or what level you have made before the deadline (March 31st, so you have over a month)
2. No joke levels or kaizo levels will be accepted.
3. You can't post a collaborated level, or a Level that someone else made.
4. You must use the song that I give you throughout the majority of your level (not just a boss or a small section)

JUDGES
- Turtwig
-
-
-
-

PARTICIPANTS
Easy
-
Medium
- RoundPiplup
- fireflowerhour
Hard
- Kep
- BlimpFruit

Good luck and have fun!

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:27 am

give it to me hard ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
im a girl yo

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:33 am

changing to hard :P

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 am

Give me the easy one.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: none

Postby Erik » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:50 am

Y'know, why the fuck not. I'll take the easy one.

You will also need a replacement judge.
Nothing...at....all......

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Murphmario » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm in!

Medium please.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Nothing is coming on Christmas. Why? Because I missed my past promises and should stop putting release dates on my stuff.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:08 pm

You know, this contest seems familiar...where have I heard this before?

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2789

I was actually planning on hosting a contest similar to this (inspired by the above thread), but I guess I'm too late now. I'd like to be a judge (and, if possible, suggest songs for the contestants to use).
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:You know, this contest seems familiar...where have I heard this before?

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2789

I was actually planning on hosting a contest similar to this (inspired by the above thread), but I guess I'm too late now. I'd like to be a judge (and, if possible, suggest songs for the contestants to use).
I got ninja'd ;-;
Anyway, I already have a huge folder full of songs to pick from, I can send it to you later if you want.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Well, I meant that I'd pick songs to add to your list, but I guess I'd have to know what your list is so that I don't suggest songs already on the list. :)
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Well, I meant that I'd pick songs to add to your list, but I guess I'd have to know what your list is so that I don't suggest songs already on the list. :)
Ya
I'm about to go somewhere so it'll be a while before I can get the folder uploaded to Mediafire, as it's on my computer.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Quest of Fear

Postby Witchking666 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:35 am

Can i be a judge
(i want to be a normal judge but if there are no places available anyore than i will be replacement judge
I will join too (medium)
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:45 pm

witchking666 wrote:Can i be a judge
(i want to be a normal judge but if there are no places available anyore than i will be replacement judge
I will join too (medium)
You can be the replacement judge

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:35 am

I'm gonna try easy this time ;)

Thetoxicminecrafter1
Rex
Rex

Postby Thetoxicminecrafter1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Ya know what, i really like the idea of this contest, I'll see if I can make a level for it, so sign me up for medium! Not sure if i'll have it done on time, but I'll see what i can do.
I Support:

Return to “General”