Site Discussion Thread

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Enjl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm

The_Loaf_Lord wrote:
Enjl wrote:A mockup would help in giving that suggestion some weight. I think it would be both really cool and really hated by many people if the forums used a new modern theme. Idk if the top thing you suggested is possible on phpbb tho.
I love our forum design as is.
Yeah it has this classic 2007 feel to it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am

Enjl wrote:
The_Loaf_Lord wrote:
Enjl wrote:A mockup would help in giving that suggestion some weight. I think it would be both really cool and really hated by many people if the forums used a new modern theme. Idk if the top thing you suggested is possible on phpbb tho.
I love our forum design as is.
Yeah it has this classic 2007 feel to it.
I don't know, I just got the idea when I used Wayback Machine to look at the past of Twitter. It was originally really blocky, but now look at it, it looks much more like a decent website now.
Similar thing could go for this site. I'm not sure if the current look is actually the original used the 1st time this forum was made, but it could be slightly improved. It's like currently you have to either scroll right to the top or bottom of any topic page to use the search, chat, quick links, members etc.
What are the limits to phpbb?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 am

When these forums were opened in december 2013 the look was supposed to resemble the original one. In fact, it's even smoother than the original one. It's perfectly fine as it is so what should be improved on it?

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 am

Cedur wrote:When these forums were opened in december 2013 the look was supposed to resemble the original one. In fact, it's even smoother than the original one. It's perfectly fine as it is so what should be improved on it?
Better support for low viewport width.

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am

I really like the way it is because everything links into SMBX. I think the SMB3 sizeable blocks looks way better than anything that would be made with "fancy modern stuff".
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
rockythechao wrote:Image

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm

A modern style would make the forum not themed to vanilla SMBX. I think the only way to go if we want to improve themes would be to expand the range of themes so that one can use SMB1, SMB2 and SMW styles, and maybe Metroid and Zelda 2. A modern theme would be inherently unfitting to exist.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm totally down to have a NSMB looking SMBX forum if that's what you mean

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
xDestroy wrote:

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Taycamgame wrote:Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
There are some people who volunteered to make the board styles of the different game themes. Idk if they're still working on it. You may get the template for the board styles from Joey if you want to make your own board style/s.

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 am

Eureka wrote:I'm totally down to have a NSMB looking SMBX forum if that's what you mean
Does not fit the theme of vanilla SMBX though

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 am

Radiance wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
There are some people who volunteered to make the board styles of the different game themes. Idk if they're still working on it. You may get the template for the board styles from Joey if you want to make your own board style/s.
But then i'd have to programme it all, right? I don't know how to use phpbb, is it similar to HTML (Which i do know)?
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
xDestroy wrote:

TheLoafLord
Ninji
Ninji

Postby TheLoafLord » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Radiance wrote:
But then i'd have to programme it all, right? I don't know how to use phpbb, is it similar to HTML (Which i do know)?
I really really like the forums right now, honestly. I have no issues with it.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Radiance wrote:
No. Just replace the graphics Joey will send you and follow some directions (e.g. assigning the color of the background). That's what I remember when I downloaded the template. I can't just remember where I downloaded it.

Edit: Board style template. I found it at the archives lol.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Remember the point in time where Joey and the previous administration were tossing around the idea of implementing multiple board styles, and it was heavily supported and praised by a majority of the community, but it never happened?

I think implementing new board styles would be a fun and brand new addition to an otherwise aged forum. I can't say it would necessarily breathe new life into the forum, but a feature we were promised ages ago that never fell through would be a welcome sight to see. From my knowledge of phpbb, board styles are kind of super easy to implement, and the customization would be a neat thing to see here, with some popular styles like SMW, SMB2, and SMB1. Maybe these are something that could be rolled out in bi- or trimonthly updates? Just a suggestion.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

Oshi
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:12 pm

When's the next contest being held? I'm anxious to know.
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:When's the next contest being held? I'm anxious to know.
I guess the next contest will be MAGLX3, which would probably be around the release of 2.0 beta 4.

Otherwise, it will probably be when the admins feel it is time to host one.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Danny wrote:Remember the point in time where Joey and the previous administration were tossing around the idea of implementing multiple board styles, and it was heavily supported and praised by a majority of the community, but it never happened?

I think implementing new board styles would be a fun and brand new addition to an otherwise aged forum. I can't say it would necessarily breathe new life into the forum, but a feature we were promised ages ago that never fell through would be a welcome sight to see. From my knowledge of phpbb, board styles are kind of super easy to implement, and the customization would be a neat thing to see here, with some popular styles like SMW, SMB2, and SMB1. Maybe these are something that could be rolled out in bi- or trimonthly updates? Just a suggestion.
There's a template I made available that is, from a user's perspective, basically a replacement system for the images and colors on the site. I encourage you all to use it and send your designs to me if you want to see more styles (it's not suited for a complete overhaul, but rather for different game styles such as SMW or another SMB3 variant). I'm not going to build any additional board styles for this site by myself. It's not work that I want to do.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 am

Sounds good to me, I'd like to see what happens with it.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am

Note to people creating themes: please don't model your themes after the other designs on the site (SMB3 Desert, SMB3 8-1, and SMB3 Ice) as those designs are just as easily portable to new themes here and I'd rather do that then have something that looks similar.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:32 pm

I have a question about themes: Are you allowed to change the dimensions of any of the images, or must they remain the same?

Edit: Neverming, the instructions saved me.
Shadow Yoshi wrote:Note to people creating themes: please don't model your themes after the other designs on the site (SMB3 Desert, SMB3 8-1, and SMB3 Ice) as those designs are just as easily portable to new themes here and I'd rather do that then have something that looks similar.
Making the other site themes avaliable as forum themes is a pretty good idea imo, tVGR did the same thing.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Return to “Archives”