Site Discussion Thread

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7608
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Enjl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm

The_Loaf_Lord wrote:
Enjl wrote:A mockup would help in giving that suggestion some weight. I think it would be both really cool and really hated by many people if the forums used a new modern theme. Idk if the top thing you suggested is possible on phpbb tho.
I love our forum design as is.
Yeah it has this classic 2007 feel to it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am

Enjl wrote:
The_Loaf_Lord wrote:
Enjl wrote:A mockup would help in giving that suggestion some weight. I think it would be both really cool and really hated by many people if the forums used a new modern theme. Idk if the top thing you suggested is possible on phpbb tho.
I love our forum design as is.
Yeah it has this classic 2007 feel to it.
I don't know, I just got the idea when I used Wayback Machine to look at the past of Twitter. It was originally really blocky, but now look at it, it looks much more like a decent website now.
Similar thing could go for this site. I'm not sure if the current look is actually the original used the 1st time this forum was made, but it could be slightly improved. It's like currently you have to either scroll right to the top or bottom of any topic page to use the search, chat, quick links, members etc.
What are the limits to phpbb?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
Image
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Cedur » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 am

When these forums were opened in december 2013 the look was supposed to resemble the original one. In fact, it's even smoother than the original one. It's perfectly fine as it is so what should be improved on it?
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby The0x539 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 am

Cedur wrote:When these forums were opened in december 2013 the look was supposed to resemble the original one. In fact, it's even smoother than the original one. It's perfectly fine as it is so what should be improved on it?
Better support for low viewport width.

User avatar
The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:17 am
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am

I really like the way it is because everything links into SMBX. I think the SMB3 sizeable blocks looks way better than anything that would be made with "fancy modern stuff".
I support: show
Image
Image
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
Spoiler: show
rockythechao wrote:Image

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Electriking » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm

A modern style would make the forum not themed to vanilla SMBX. I think the only way to go if we want to improve themes would be to expand the range of themes so that one can use SMB1, SMB2 and SMW styles, and maybe Metroid and Zelda 2. A modern theme would be inherently unfitting to exist.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Rhosty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm totally down to have a NSMB looking SMBX forum if that's what you mean

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
Image
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Radiance » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Taycamgame wrote:Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
There are some people who volunteered to make the board styles of the different game themes. Idk if they're still working on it. You may get the template for the board styles from Joey if you want to make your own board style/s.

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Electriking » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 am

Eureka wrote:I'm totally down to have a NSMB looking SMBX forum if that's what you mean
Does not fit the theme of vanilla SMBX though
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 am

Radiance wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
There are some people who volunteered to make the board styles of the different game themes. Idk if they're still working on it. You may get the template for the board styles from Joey if you want to make your own board style/s.
But then i'd have to programme it all, right? I don't know how to use phpbb, is it similar to HTML (Which i do know)?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
Image
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

User avatar
TheLoafLord
Ninji
Ninji
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 am

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby TheLoafLord » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Radiance wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
There are some people who volunteered to make the board styles of the different game themes. Idk if they're still working on it. You may get the template for the board styles from Joey if you want to make your own board style/s.
But then i'd have to programme it all, right? I don't know how to use phpbb, is it similar to HTML (Which i do know)?
I really really like the forums right now, honestly. I have no issues with it.

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Radiance » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Radiance wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:Why was is chosen to look like SMB3 and not SMB1, 2 or World? It would be a nice feature if you could select between those four styles yet they are still vanilla.
There are some people who volunteered to make the board styles of the different game themes. Idk if they're still working on it. You may get the template for the board styles from Joey if you want to make your own board style/s.
But then i'd have to programme it all, right? I don't know how to use phpbb, is it similar to HTML (Which i do know)?
No. Just replace the graphics Joey will send you and follow some directions (e.g. assigning the color of the background). That's what I remember when I downloaded the template. I can't just remember where I downloaded it.

Edit: Board style template. I found it at the archives lol.

User avatar
Danny
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4038
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Danny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Remember the point in time where Joey and the previous administration were tossing around the idea of implementing multiple board styles, and it was heavily supported and praised by a majority of the community, but it never happened?

I think implementing new board styles would be a fun and brand new addition to an otherwise aged forum. I can't say it would necessarily breathe new life into the forum, but a feature we were promised ages ago that never fell through would be a welcome sight to see. From my knowledge of phpbb, board styles are kind of super easy to implement, and the customization would be a neat thing to see here, with some popular styles like SMW, SMB2, and SMB1. Maybe these are something that could be rolled out in bi- or trimonthly updates? Just a suggestion.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

User avatar
Oshi
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1196
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:34 pm
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Oshi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:12 pm

When's the next contest being held? I'm anxious to know.
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
Spoiler: show
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show
Image
Image

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Electriking » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:When's the next contest being held? I'm anxious to know.
I guess the next contest will be MAGLX3, which would probably be around the release of 2.0 beta 4.

Otherwise, it will probably be when the admins feel it is time to host one.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Danny wrote:Remember the point in time where Joey and the previous administration were tossing around the idea of implementing multiple board styles, and it was heavily supported and praised by a majority of the community, but it never happened?

I think implementing new board styles would be a fun and brand new addition to an otherwise aged forum. I can't say it would necessarily breathe new life into the forum, but a feature we were promised ages ago that never fell through would be a welcome sight to see. From my knowledge of phpbb, board styles are kind of super easy to implement, and the customization would be a neat thing to see here, with some popular styles like SMW, SMB2, and SMB1. Maybe these are something that could be rolled out in bi- or trimonthly updates? Just a suggestion.
There's a template I made available that is, from a user's perspective, basically a replacement system for the images and colors on the site. I encourage you all to use it and send your designs to me if you want to see more styles (it's not suited for a complete overhaul, but rather for different game styles such as SMW or another SMB3 variant). I'm not going to build any additional board styles for this site by myself. It's not work that I want to do.

User avatar
Danny
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4038
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 am

Sounds good to me, I'd like to see what happens with it.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

User avatar
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am

Note to people creating themes: please don't model your themes after the other designs on the site (SMB3 Desert, SMB3 8-1, and SMB3 Ice) as those designs are just as easily portable to new themes here and I'd rather do that then have something that looks similar.

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am
Current Project: idk lol

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:32 pm

I have a question about themes: Are you allowed to change the dimensions of any of the images, or must they remain the same?

Edit: Neverming, the instructions saved me.
Shadow Yoshi wrote:Note to people creating themes: please don't model your themes after the other designs on the site (SMB3 Desert, SMB3 8-1, and SMB3 Ice) as those designs are just as easily portable to new themes here and I'd rather do that then have something that looks similar.
Making the other site themes avaliable as forum themes is a pretty good idea imo, tVGR did the same thing.
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image


Return to “Archives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests