SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Want to Help With the World Map?)

Official community level contests.
h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/a troll

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Results Part 3!)

Postby h2643 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Good results, thx

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Results Part 4!)

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 pm

And here is the fourth release of results!

Participants' names below will be bolded upon their results being released.
  • krazykat
  • Ludwig_von Koopa
  • Yang
  • Bowser is ded
  • Darkonious Mavakar
  • Shadow Turtle
  • FrozenHeatDesert
  • 7NameSam
  • DreDust DQ
  • Ditchencat
  • ShadowStarX
  • 1AmPlayer
  • Quantumenace
  • The0x539
  • Sanct
  • Zipper
  • Snowy_Desert
  • AndrewPixel
  • Smesblem
  • Quantix
  • Cloth pocket
  • h2643 DQ
  • 55jedat555
  • Taycamgame
  • Artemis008
  • Enjl
  • Yoshi021
  • thehelmetguy1
  • Ryaa
  • Musicality_Minister45
  • Mosaic
  • MECHDRAGON777
  • litchh
  • Pseudo
  • Electriking
  • ap3jmpt
  • Ness-Wednesday
  • kinggodot
  • NegativeBread
1AmPlayer - Pokey Dokey (42.3/100)
Reviews: show
PixelPest (32 | 9 | 14)--55/100: This level didn't bring much to the table. There were some good enemy set-ups but overall the level didn't seem to go anywhere. One of the major issues with this level were the horizontal screen-wrapping sections; in the first there were two goombas right on the other side so unless the player just slowly, carefully slips through they're almost guaranteed to take an unfair hit. The boss battle was super-repetitive and had no need to respawn the same vanilla boss twice when nothing changed in-between the phases. Aesthetically the level also seemed to be a little overworked and cluttered slightly in some respects, but overall a strong effort.

Spinda (19 | 7 | 9)--35/100: This level just had no focus at all. The first section was basically desert romp #363, then there's an ice theme which could have been used to a good effect if some of the mechanics crossed over and then it's desert again for some reason. The last desert section has some screen wrap, but the section is so wide that the screen wrap is actually confusing more than anything since it's super hard to maneuver. The switches are also executed super weirdly because you need the green switch for the purple switch but the purple switch is right after the green switch so why seperate them at all? and then the next section has a roadblock for both switches but then still uses said blocks later even though the player has to have hit both switches at that point?
The Bullseye Bills don't really change up the boss battle too much and also come out of nowhere (I think there were a total of 1 before that?). You can just not jump as high and ignore them. Morton is also quite tanky for how simple this fight is, leading to it feeling like a drag.

bossedit8 (11 | 12 | 14)--37/100: This level went alright at the beginning as in how it goes like it was like how it's mostly designed like NSMBU even with the secrets and such to go with. Pretty neat but there are issues with this level like enemy placements, some of them are so sudden like at some of the wrapping sections like once you just run without jumping you run straight to the enemies which is not a good idea. Speaking of wrapping sections, there's another before the boss room which is even more buggy as in there are some blocks missing at the offscreen area which by that result you are able to clip off inside the blocks and either get stuck or die. Story wise is interesting I would say and how you spread out power ups like that it does help especially for multiplayer but y'know, that doesn't help for the fact that there are some sections that isn't well designed as of what I've just mentioned before. At the green switch area, if you don't trigger it you can't head to the boss at all and it's in such a places where you need some kind of item to trigger it like a shell or anything else that can be triggered with but if you don't have any of them, you are basically screwed! The boss is Morton with a chasing enemy on a generator and the section itself is wrapping so any projectiles will stay on the screen till they go up or down to disappear fully. Also you have to deal with that boss 3 times like you have to jump on that boss 3 times and do that 3 times in total which means 9 hits till the boss is dead. Once is enough... but 2 more... kind of unnecessary to do that. At least the length is alright but it's design isn't all too good... but not too bad either. Could of done better so to say.
55jedat555 - Lakitu Madness (63.3/100)
PixelPest (35 | 9 | 17)--61/100: This level thrived in its simplicity and had some solid platforming challenges, though was relatively short and just didn't really seem to go anywhere. If anything, the third section was much easier than the first two, with the level seeming to get easier from the first to the third sections; the lakitu throwing the hammers was definitely less of a threat than the lakitu throwing spinies and the third section (containing the lakitu throwing hammers) was significantly less busy with enemies and platforming challenges. I wasn't overly fond of the pipe maze section and didn't find it added much to the level other than a break from the lakitus. In terms of the bossfight, the lakitu moved quite fast and it was very difficult to time throwing the blocks at it to harm it, especially when the blocks generated at what seemed to be incredibly long intervals in the heat of the moment. Also, using !-marks to indicate attack patterns is so old; there are many better ways to telegraph attacks than this and in this level especially they made the battle seem very artificial and were on the screen for a very long time. The level had a nice aesthetic feel to it overall and never felt too busy. The angry lakitu boss' death effect was a nice polished ending to the battle that was memorable. A fun level overall.

Spinda (30 | 14 | 16)--60/100: This level was pretty alright, but it sure took a while to get to the titular Lakitus. Then there's also an underground section that has absolutely nothing in common with the rest of the level and feels as though it was ripped from an entirely different level.
The Lakitus don't pose too much of a threat and feel more like a setup to the pretty decent boss. The throw blocks take too long to regenerate for my taste and the red '!'s don't make for an intuitive warning. Something like thunder clouds to generate them or a non-harmful jolt of lightning before they appear would be more fitting.

bossedit8 (35 | 19 | 15)--69/100: The name is right! Lakitus are taking this area up ahead. Well it's not by a lot though but they do preserve as a challenge in a way on this level. I do like how simple yet it's own secrets are pretty neat as of how it goes... but I'm not a real fan of not be able to carry NPCs such as the springboards out of the secret section yet I'm able to carry them inside the same section which is... really weird like there's a super leaf out of the reach to get at the end of the 1st section unless you have a super leaf on your own to get a copy. I thought a springboard is needed here but nope. I do like the underground section as of where you used pipes and grass in the background while in the foreground there are pipes as tiles... it's actually pretty neat as a underground section like that. The second Lakitu throws Hammers instead of the first one where he throws Spiny Eggs at you. I find the hammer thrower easier than the spiny egg thrower since with hammers they go through every blocks while a spiny egg lands on a block then gets a spiny on their own and walks. The boss is honestly pretty clever though since you fight a Lakitu with multiple phases. However the '!' warnings do take quite a while to activate their thunders acting bombs, making them not only too easy to avoid but also it takes a bit of time aswell. Overall, a simple yet neat level.
Cloth pocket - Explosive Tower (50.3/100)
Spoiler: show
PixelPest (28 | 10 | 16)--54/100: This was an interesting level but really didn't seem to expand enough on its few key ideas. The idea of using the bombs to blow vines out of ?-blocks was a creative concept though poorly executed. The player's introduction to this concept is very limited and their first challenge is quite difficult. In general this level is very poor at communicating. If the player enters the castle at the beginning before they have the key, they'll have to backtrack significantly to get it. Likewise in the section with the moving platforms if the player goes right instead of left first they're stuck at a barricade that requires a key to pass, however the moving platform is already gone and they have to wait for it to come back, which is extremely frustrating and time consuming, when a simple string of coins or some other indication could have lead them left to the key at the beginning. A lot of concepts were explored in this level however they were often briefly passed by or not explored in depth, such as the lava being raised and lowered or even the use of the bombs to activate blocks. What this level did have going for it though was its aesthetics, for the most part as the first section was slightly unappealing and didn't have a great music choice, and its enemy set-ups for multiple areas in the castle section that seemed to be intentionally set up to provide the player with progressive challenges. The set-ups of enemies for when the player was on the moving platforms were a little less rewardable and placed significantly more repetitvely. The miniboss fight and vertical section really took away from the fast pace of the level and were really easy compared to the other challenges. In terms of the bossfight, there was some good elements in it but overall it was a little repetitive in the first phase and the second phase was actually significantly easier, but it would've been much better to add a few more phases to give the player a better experience, with the boss having less HP in each phase than it currently does, since it's basically a bullet sponge. I feel like this level has a lot of room to grow, it just needs to introduce the gimmick better and give it a little more focus in the level, since it could have easily been worked into the castle sections.

Spinda (28 | 13 | 16)--57/100: Everything up until the mini-boss is pretty good, but afterwards the level loses a lot of its focus. The usage of the stopwatch in the first section is super neat but I don't really like how you have to backtrack if you miss it and how you have to reset once you lose the key. This feels like something that should be a path to a secondary objective. The initial castle part is pretty neat, although generic and I liked the Bob-Omb boxes. Afterwards, it starts to feel unforgiving, especially with the lack of midpoints. The enemies you have to dodge while on the moving platforms and the lack of a safety net make this part way too stressful. Once you're outside again, you're presented with a challenge which is essentially an easier version of the initial key challenge which is super weird and then there's an elevator which is way too uneventful and boring. The boss is alright but feels too repetitive and feels like a boss for the sake of having a boss.

bossedit8 (10 | 13 | 17)--40/100: Well, what do I say about this level? I'd say by it's graphical design and how the idea went through it went pretty neat but it's desing purposes like specific secrets for this level it's very unclear and unnecessary backtracking involved (and by saying unnecessary, I mean like with very lack of changes altogether like enemy placements and such). I do like what you did with the beginning section though as of how you have to get the key in order to access further in the level and that is by having a bomb and using the timestopper together which makes the bomb not tick and also reach to longer distance when it's not ticking, that's actually a neat idea! Too bad it's only used once in the level which would be really cool if it would of been executed further in the level rather than just once. Anyway, onto the level, I do like what you did with the whole lava turning into rocks where you are able to walk on without getting damaged and such. Forgot to mention but these Mecha Koopas that are replacing SMB3 Bomb-ombs, their hitbox are inaccurate as in when they are trying to walk down a slope they turn around because of it's hitbox being too big. Even while holding the stomped one looks like it looks like it's been slightly in the air which is weird. Enemy placements were fine although as I mentioned before, best to spice it up a bit whenever you actually walk backwards instead of being the same thing altogether (although it can be also unfair for the 2nd player depending of where they appear unless you add warning sings beforehand). Going further, you have those platforms on lines which, once you miss or drop onto different places where the platform goes away from you you have to wait for a very long time till they reappear. Also about that though, here is where the very unclear secret star comes into play. Before the end of the section with a key lock on it, at the top there is a message box which can only be accessed by kicking against it with an item which will logically be a key from this level, right? Well get this, it's in such a place where it's legitimately impossible to reach unless you have multiple keys stacked up eachother or have a flight power up which can be not found in this level anywhere which means, to get to the secret, you need multiple keys or have a leaf from a different level in order to reach it. Also you can't have multiple keys on the linerider platform because there are obstacles on your way, multiples at that! And even if you manage to do it you have to walk backwards, get the secret star and walk all the way to the front again. That's a lot of time just for one star. Anyway, moving on, I do like how you occationally put outside sections which does make the level having it's own variety and such. Then we get back to the castle with an elevator taking place. Depending as of where you place it makes the elevator too easy since you can just hang either one side to the wall or the other. Then we get to the boss which by that matter it's getting better for sure since that boss is quite creative. You even put warning signs for the 2nd phase appearances like that. So overall, the level design is not that good due to high backtracking involvements, unnecessary secret star pathways and a lot of waiting depending if you are not reaching to the platforms and such. Atmosphere was really nice though.
Enjl - him name jorfrey big cat (91.7/100) ***Spinda's Favourite!***
PixelPest (42 | 28 | 18)--88/100: Wow. This level was quite something. It took me a long while to beat but I enjoyed it every step of the way due to the large variety in the challenges, unique and thoughtful set-ups, and the beautiful atmosphere it presented. The gimmick of the cat suit was introduced very well in a room with no enemies so that the player could safely get used to the controls and figure things out, which although not explained in any way, were pretty simple to pick up by just testing things out. There were a lot of different elements introduced in the level, but done in a reasonable manner and not until the player had a chance to master the last one. The large amount of checkpoints nicely allowed the player to take risks and not be worried about failing as the sections were relatively short yet challenging. One of the creative aspects of this level that I loved was the dandelion fluff that turned into nippers. The only section I didn't love was the eighth section, which simply involved killing a few waves of enemies to leave the room. I felt like this was really trivial and elementary, slightly disappointing compared to the action-based and thought-provoking nature of the rest of the level's challenges. In terms of the controls, they were pretty fluid however my only complaint is the recharge time for the swipe, which at times was frustrating when trying to kill enemies that were coming in quick succession, like in the eighth section. Aesthetically this level seemed pretty on point with a nicely developed atmosphere--the falling petals provided a nice touch--and the contrast between the two primary tilesets was quite nice. My only complaint in terms of the visuals were a few elements that didn't seem to fit the style of the level, such as the jumping enemies. Overall I found this level very rewarding though and would definitely play it again.

Spinda (45 | 26 | 19)--90/100: Oh man, that was a level. First of all, the aesthetics were super on point. The atmosphere was super calming and the small effects like the Celeste breakable platforms were used to great effect. The small title cards added a lot of charm as well.
The design was on-point as well. Only issue I have is that controlling the cat suit takes a lot of getting used to and even near the end of the level I still regularly messed up the wall climb, which I think hails from having to release and press run again in midair. I think it might be better if you autmatically wallclimb if you just run up to a wall?
As for using the powerup, the level was pretty varied and I especially enjoyed the areas where you had to jump on enemies or do similar things to stay in the air while the ground is regenerating and the similar one but vertically. The ""defeat all enemies"" one is the only one that seemed out of place, it felt pretty filler-ish. Aside from that, though, the rest of the level was very well-designed.

bossedit8 (47 | 30 | 20)--97/100: A power up from Super Mario 3D World that uses to it's full potential which is the super bell power up on Mario! I really love how this whole level has been structured with like at first you learn how the power up works and then later on it gets more puzzle like as of how you go further with that said power up. Enemy placements and platforming is also very neat aswell. Each sections introduces new mechanics and also they contain checkpoints so you don't have to do the whole level all over. It's very fair as of how the whole level is going through like introducing enemies such as these plants... even coming from the plants themselves and then they're placed in a more challenging way later on. Takes time to get used to these sections especially by the platforming disappearing ones and the slippery blocks. Each section is basically like a challenge on it's own. Suitable for some of the special world levels due to it's difficulty enviorement. Close to the end you encounter enemies where you have to destroy them. At the end, hello other people with suits! I'm gonna join with you guys!
Ness-Wednesday - Danger Oasis (37/100)
PixelPest (13 | 11 | 10)--34/100: I didn't really enjoy this level. It was very long, cluttered, and confusing as to where the player should even go next in quite a number of places. Very few of the graphical elements used actually fit together and the level was really cramped throughout. Enemy variety was through the roof and their placement almost just seemed random instead of providing thoughtful challenges leading to the level flatlining with difficulty and not really going anywhere. That being said, there was obviously an atmosphere trying to be developed that did succeed to an extent and the main mechanic was implemented well, even if it wasn't expanded on very effectively. On the inside part of the level, it was very difficult to distinguish between solid and non-solid pieces, which made it a bit confusing as well.

Spinda (10 | 9 | 7)--26/100: I really didn't enjoy this level. I do think it's neat how you first have to do a linear section before getting thrown into a more open area, but the linear section is already pretty confusing, especially with the switch goombas - with how so many enemies are green, it honestly took me a while to realize that these being green actually serves a purpose. Speaking of enemy variety: It's a mess. There's so many enemies that don't fit with each other at all, both graphically and gameplay-wise. Additionally, the layout is just super confusing. Pipes take you to seemingly arbitrary places and there's no internal logic connecting places. Please try making more linear levels before doing something such as this because honestly it's a pain to navigate.

bossedit8 (19 | 15 | 17)--51/100: What a messy situation! Yes, this place is filled with danger but it's also pretty messy aswell. Like you have NPCs that are not like anything else you'll see in this area like that giant dragon snail shooting out fire projectiles, ghosty masks, a sledge bro throwing out stationary slimes, bouncy balls, jumping cheep cheeps and more that are pretty random and such. Oh well, guess the world isn't always stable like this place here. Onto the level, as of what I can tell you used 2 different playables for it's reasoning being able to go into water or not after hitting a specific switch which is quite neat, however due to how SMBX by itself works and how you even replaced with the playables you hold your items differently like the item's placements aren't the same as of how they are. Can be quite weird and also buggy aswell if you duck and hold while being switched over. Another thing on the first vertical section with wrapping around shenanigans, you are able to be inside the walls because you didn't really designed it all the way as of where the player should be able to be accessed in the level or not. The particles are neat yet they can be quite distracting... especially as of what you are supposed to do in the level in the first place. There are puzzle solving areas, not too bad for the first bit. Oh and forgot to mention, if you are not in the form where you are able to swim in water you instantly die like lava... I would prefer for them to hurt you rather than being instakilled if you are not in that form you are supposed to swim im to be safe... oh well. The design by itself can be quite confusing like there are a couple switches that... some of which you don't know what they are even doing till you figure them out and others are easier to understand as of what they are even doing in the first place. At least this level has multiple checkpoints so you don't have to do a lot of the level again once you die somewhere but it's still quite messy nonetheless. I like how there are also multiple pathways to choose so I don't have to go this one path that is more deadly than the other to go through. The boss is also a mess aswell that this level has but at least on some sections you provided with infinite mushrooms so you don't die that easily and such. Overall, pretty messy but ok I would say... atmosphere is neat aswell including the music and such but it's level design is really all over the place.
Snowy_Desert - Mountains of Courage (55/100)
PixelPest (37 | 11 | 13)--61/100: This level definitely had a lot of effort put into it. I felt like there was some enjoyable platforming in it however it didn't seem to have much direction to it; it seemed to almost flatline in terms of the challenges it presented relatively quickly with no real focus on a progression of any kind in the obstacles. The variation in the different mechanics like the springboards also seemed to be a little superficial and limited. However, the terrain was nicely varied and the level had a nice uplifting atmosphere. In regards to the indoor portion, it seemed especially bland compared to the busy outdoor area. Overall it also just seemed to be a semi-exploration-based romp. Aesthetically, the stars outside that didn't move with the background felt a little out-of-place. One of the biggest issues with this level was the pillars the player could stand on. I got really stuck in one part and then figured out by accident and trial-and-error that you can jump on the background pillars. This wasn't conveyed well towards the player as before this, they were evidently used as background objects and placed against the ceiling, so intuitively they still would be non-interactable later in the level. This could have been fixed pretty easily by just using some coins to lead the player to show them where to jump and maybe even consider brightening the solid ones a little more. Despite its fallbacks this level was still pretty enjoyable.

Spinda (15 | 10 | 6)--31/100: Please please please don't make super big and super long and super expansive levels when you don't have a grasp on good design and use only 1 checkpoint. This was a pain to get through. First of all, most of the platforming was just... super generic. The few gimmicks that were there, like skull rafts or saws, were barely expanded upon.
A lot of things were not clear at all. The dark pillars being completely solid and the small pillars having a solid top were very counterintuitive and I spent like 5 minutes stuck because of the latter. The graphics in general were a mess and didn't really look good together.
This level in general just dragged on for way too long while being utterly uninteresting and I recommend you focus on shorter, more focussed levels in the future before tackling something like this.

bossedit8 (37 | 18 | 18)--73/100: Haaa! The music is so upbeat I love it for this kind of stage! This level takes place in a mountain with quite a couple of mixed NPCs to go by... oh and hey, a Yellow Koopa that doesn't have graphics for Kamikaze Koopa and such... how unfortunate! What I don't like about the tileset is is that there is this one pillar that's from the SMB2 pyramid underground background that's literally a block that you can't pass through which confuses me for sure for this level especially it's coloring and such... and other times we have some pillars that looks like it's a background but then realise you are able to jump on top of the solid ones... but it makes also a little difficult to tell if those are actually solid if there is another pillar stacked up like that. NPC placements were very fine as of how it goes and the story by itself. I only had issues with some of the design choices as of how sometimes I get to feel confused if that's even the right way to go then running straight to the pillar wall once again as I mentioned before. I do like your secrets you have but at the end, you have 2 stars at the same section... ok then! I like how the music changes if you are inside the ruins like it's more quieter... but I do recognize the song from a different SMBX Episode but I'm not too sure where it's from originally though. Overall, a very nice mountainous ruins level with flaws encountered.
Taycamgame - Firebar Fence Fortress (46.7/100)
PixelPest (19 | 2 | 9)--30/100: This level ended up being really short. It didn't experiment with very many creative set-ups of firebars and climbable fences and in a short time managed to get repetitive very quickly. I really didn't understand the placement of the checkpoint and found the mixing of NSMB's graphical style with SMB3 and SMW unappealing. The boss battle had a slightly creative room set-up but still wasn't anything exciting.

Spinda (25 | 8 | 7)--40/100: Don't make a seperate section just for a midpoint.
On my first two playthroughs I genuinely missed the midpoint door. The midpoint also feels as though it's way earlier than the actual middle of the level.
The idea of having a few branching paths is neat in concept and there's a few times where it works, but more often than not there's one path that's just plain superior so it kinda destroys the idea of having them in the first place. The boss is neat in concept but with how easy it is to just keep the fight in one corner the added difficulty is somewhat lost.

bossedit8 (35 | 20 | 15)--70/100: A NSMBWii based tower level with, as the title already suggests, fences and firebars! This level is quite short but I honestly do love how you utulised those fences and firebar in a way where it gets challenging but also is pretty fun how you go through them like that. Some issues to point out though is that on the 2nd section, I mean sure you have some coins there to reward you but for waiting, having a firebar up to boot to get to the top left and such it's a little too worthless like that... if the coins were like double the amount rather than 4 I would probably get to it but since at the beginning I thought there was some kind of secret passageway to traverse through rather than just 4 coins that would of been even more epic... but for now, getting 4 coins... ok, not much but it's just there. Also, in these kind of levels you are unable to head backwards so once you miss that one door that is at the room I pointed out where the 4 coins over the firebar are, you will miss a checkpoint and a fireflower. This level isn't that hard at least but there is this one firebar that can definitely surprise the player once it appears at the 2nd vertical section. Another thing, once the fences move they won't drag along with the player which is quite weird so you have to well, move with the fence. There is a way to prevent that from happening which is to have those as climbable NPCs rather than climbable background objects. The boss is quite challenging which I also like since it's Larry Koopa but with spikes, fence and firebar aswell. Unique for sure! Overall, a very good NSMBWii styled tower level!
Yang - Deserted Desert (20/100)
PixelPest (10 | 6 | 5)--21/100: I could tell that this level was really trying to be creative, but it just wasn't executed well. The friendly NPCs at the beginning didn't really seem to add anything to the level and more took away from it as the goomba's text especially was really long and not very useful to developing anything in the level. The ship wasn't very visually appealing; the blocky flag barely looked like a flag and really could have benefited from either being in a triangular shape rather than square, and probably even a custom graphic in that case. The ship part in itself was very boring as there was a lakitu and only green parakoopas, providing little variety for the player. Besides the ship, the level was very bland and a little too blocky after the first initial landmass. It also ended up being very short and just wasn't very exciting.

Spinda (10 | 6 | 5)--21/100: The little sidequest at the start is interesting and if there was more like that it'd be pretty cool as far as giving this an Odyssey vibe, but there's not much to it and I really feel there could be more done with the idea of ""try getting flight in a limited area"". The ship part, however, is just super boring and then the level just... ends.
The aesthetics are also a mess, especially the ship's sail, and the little NPC interactions feel pretty bland and nonsensical as well.

bossedit8 (5 | 11 | 2)--18/100: Sure, let's have a level that is quite short but has it's own additional design to it like messages and a ship that goes over the quicksand that isn't real quicksand and that's it. What can I say? Well, I can definitely say that you did well with your story as of what these message boxes are aholded of but this level isn't much in terms of contents as of how you are going along with. I mean sure you do have some obstacles to go along while riding on that ship but other than that the level just ends outright. Oh and also, once you finish that little sidequest from that Toad you get a Star which is quite easy to die after obtaining it when you still have momentum involved. Other than that, not much to say.

Well look at that! Enjl swoops in and grabs 1st place, bumping ShadowStarX to 4th. A few other levels continue to fill in the other tiers. With the last round of results tomorrow, will Enjl be able to maintain his standing? bossedit's favourite level is still yet to come, along with others...

Image Top 3 (Tier 5)
  • Enjl - him name jorfrey big cat (91.7/100)
  • Quantumenace - Zenith Weapon Works (84.7/100)
  • Darkonious Mavakar - Granite Mountains (83/100)
Image Tier 4
Rankings: show
4. ShadowStarX - Cyberfrost Facility (79/100)
5. 7NameSam - HEAT (76/100)
6. The0x539 - Explosion Island Excavation Act III: Tragedy on the Solar Express (72.7/100)
7. Electriking - Switch-it Up Desert (70.3/100)
8. Sanct - HD Prismal Towers (70/100)
9. Quantix - Dungeon of Firebar Spam (67.7/100)
10. Pseudo - The Cellar (66.7/100)
11. 55jedat555 - Lakitu Madness (63.3/100)
12. Zipper - Fairy Ravine (61/100)
Image Tier 3
13. AndrewPixel - Line Detonation (57.7/100)
14. Snowy_Desert - Mountains of Courage (55/100)
15. Smesblem - Infernal Ruins (52.7/100
16. MECHDRAGON777 - Toxic Fissure Facility (52.7/100)
17. Yoshi021 - U-turn (51.3/100)
18. Cloth pocket - Explosive Tower (50.3/100)
19. litchh - Fusion;Crossroads (50/100)
20. Artemis008 - City in Turmoil (48.3/100)
21. Taycamgame - Firebar Fence Fortress (46.7/100)
Image Tier 2
22. FrozenHeatDesert - Yellow Switch Palace (45/100)
23. 1AmPlayer - Pokey Dokey (42.3/100)
24. kinggodot - Climbing in the Desert (41/100)
25. krazykat - Bad Boom's Castle of Death and Other Unpleasant Sensations (37/100)
26. Ness-Wednesday - Danger Oasis (37/100)
27. thehelmetguy1 - Into the Desert Temple (29.7/100)
28. Musicality_Minister45 - #Idonthavethetimeorpatienceforacontestlevel (28.7/100)
29. Yang - Deserted Desert (20/100)
Image Tier 1
Empty

Stay tuned for the last round of results will be coming tomorrow!

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 pm

tfw your going to have to wait the maximum amount of time to see how you did...

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

My Level Thread

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16338

Join My Discord Server below!

https://discord.gg/2pHMZg4

My Projects

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
[/center]

Snowy_Desert
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: The Icy Pharaoh
Current Project: Funky no CGFX episode.
Chat Username: This is a mystery.

Postby Snowy_Desert » Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm

(Deleted)
Last edited by Snowy_Desert on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Signatures are boring, they doesn't do anything.

kinggodot
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: kinggodot

Postby kinggodot » Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 pm

so many desert levels.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 am

You actually used to walk up the wall by default but some of my testers reported that it was clunky that way and felt rather weak.
kinggodot wrote:so many desert levels.
The SMBX community collectively decided they have finished making World 1 levels and have now moved on to make World 2 levels.

So when are we gonna see the boss level against Reggienator Bros Deluxe to claim first place?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 am

Enjl wrote:You actually used to walk up the wall by default but some of my testers reported that it was clunky that way and felt rather weak.
kinggodot wrote:so many desert levels.
The SMBX community collectively decided they have finished making World 1 levels and have now moved on to make World 2 levels.

So when are we gonna see the boss level against Reggienator Bros Deluxe to claim first place?
In the span of five years we'll start mass producting beach and water levels.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Daily life of Alagirez
Current Project: Questioning my life
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Wed May 02, 2018 6:41 am

Oh hey, the result announcement system seems different now, Nice.
(I forgot to submit again, I think I've gone for too long.)

Anyways, good luck to the unrevealed participants!

A former SMBX level designner
If you want to to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056
Also a furry

YT Channel |MxW2 for those who wants it
My osu! Profile | My twitter

Awooo!

Snowy_Desert
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: The Icy Pharaoh
Current Project: Funky no CGFX episode.
Chat Username: This is a mystery.

Postby Snowy_Desert » Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Wondering if the episode will have a world map like LCJ or it will have a hub like the TOB series.
:?:
Signatures are boring, they doesn't do anything.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Snowy_Desert wrote:Wondering if the episode will have a world map like LCJ or it will have a hub like the TOB series.
What if it had...both...

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed May 02, 2018 1:06 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Snowy_Desert wrote:Wondering if the episode will have a world map like LCJ or it will have a hub like the TOB series.
What if it had...both...
Having a map with sub-hubs holding each tier from the two individual contests? (SMBXASC and SCC)
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Joey, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle Derp, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"I know who designed Camacho's level" - bossedit8, 2016
"Waddle Derp is a great minigame" - bossedit8, 2016
"Technically I'm not a voice memer" - bossedit8, 2016

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6769&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
What if it had...both...
Having a map with sub-hubs holding each tier from the two individual contests? (SMBXASC and SCC)
That would be a cool use of Zyphre's Map system from a few years past.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed May 02, 2018 2:25 pm

>implying zephyr invented it and was the only person to use it
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6769&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Not really the intention, but he is the only one I am aware of to actually use it in SMBX with a released and finished work. I may be wrong, and I can accept that; Just that his first episode comes to mind when that setup comes up.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

PixelPest
Link
Link

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Final Results!)

Postby PixelPest » Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 pm

We've made it to the final results!

ap3jmpt - Horrendous Hive (53.3/100)
PixelPest (23 | 9 | 15)--47/100: This level wasn't anything exciting. The platforming is varied but often the enemy set-ups seemed very random and not challenging or varied. Probably around 10 enemies were introduced in the first section alone and the level seemed very cluttered in general. It had some interesting concepts such as the sinking platforms, the vertical section in which the fairy power-up was used, and the honey quicksand, however none were built on very effectively and the way they were used was pretty basic and uncreative. The level also didn't communicate very well with the player about these, and originally I thought my computer was lagging as the honey quicksand looks like a background object. Likewise you don't have to tell the player in a message box that the red platforms sink, you can just introduce it in a way that lets the player know without directly telling them; for example you could place some coins underneath the platform so that the player sees that the only way they can collect them is if the platform can sink down. The bossfight was likewise pretty uneventful and although had some apparent creative intentions was mostly just a bullet sponge and took a lot of hits for its phase to change. The second phase was somewhat trivial and easier than the first phase as it could be hit without the player jumping, so they didn't even really have to move.

Spinda (18 | 10 | 13)--41/100
: This level was way way too long for its own good and felt way too unfocussed. There's like a million types of bees, but a lot of them feel pretty underused and it just feels like quantity over quality. Also, the different types of Zingers reacting differently to being jumped on because of their color is just not intuitive at all.
Please don't use signs to explain gimmicks that are obvious? Like, you don't need a sign to tell you that a platform that is clearly moving from side to side is... moving from side to side. There's also better way to introduce the red block than saying what it does.
The length of this level was only made worse by the lack of powerups. There's a total of 1 powerup before the midpoint, and that part would already be long enough for a full level. Add to that the lava that is used and it becomes way too unforgiving.
The challenges also feel uninteresting. Dodging moving enemies while a fairy was not interesting at all and while the idea of the bonus star is neat, it sucks that you basically have to die if you wanna get it and mess up in the upper section. The 1-Up challenge in the 2nd half was also super not rewarding because going through all that for a 1-Up is not worth it.
The boss was pretty alright, I guess? It didn't drag on for too long, but I'm not sure if the 2nd phase (or even the boss itself, considering the length of this level) was necessary.

bossedit8 (36 | 21 | 15)--72/100: Quite a big level to go through. This hive is quite sizeable and has a lot of different bees and whasps in it like the different colors and sizes do different actings as of what the NPC has been replaced with which is quite cool for sure for this kind of level! Obstacles are really neat too as of how it's been structured with like platforms, water and more. Speaking of water though, since everything is yellow, at the beginning I thought these are just background objects without interactional water physics in them but once I touch it made me go slower. I mean least in the first area it's not bad at all because of showing it off as a whole so it's not bad at all of having that as a whole. Secrets as of how this has been going with, I mean some of which are alright but I'm not a huge fan of passing out something important in the previous section where the secret star is but am unable to go back so I have another chance to check the area out. It's just pretty unfortunate, at least the checkpoint is before the vertical section with the fairy power up in it but still. Speaking of that power up, it's used quite well in the vertical section as a whole... for one section. For the other secret room, after traversing it as a whole you get a 1UP... but nothing else other than coins. Eh, not too bad I should say... least the section is short. Oh and we also have a boss where you have to throw those... worms at the giant zinger that acts like a blooper on the first phase and then it changes up at the later forms. It's a pretty cool boss I gotta say. Overall, I do like the level as a whole for sure!
Bowser is ded - Whatever Forest (50.7/100)
PixelPest (32 | 12 | 14)--58/100: This level had some good ideas, I just wish it had been a little more focused. There were some interesting challenges that were pretty challenging, however the difficulty curve was inconsistent and it was often very unforgiving, requiring the player to redo a significant number of challenge sections with one midpoint in the middle of a relatively long level. It also just had a little too much variety and might have been executed better if it had focused on a single type of challenge and expanding on that in some more creative ways than just "here's some enemies; jump on them all...now here's some more enemies; jump on them all", by adding some different obstacles into the sections such as projectiles spawning from the sides, moving blocks that may require the player to adjust their path on the fly, etc. It also lacked flow in some sections which was slightly disappointing when you go from a timed, action-packed section to one that's a significantly more precision-based. The level just needed to find an identity and stick to it. It didn't have much of an atmosphere, however for the most part the elements it used seemed to fit pretty well together, however the general blocky structure was a little unappealing; it never seemed bland nor overworked though. Unless it was intentional, I'd also suggest watching out for parts where you force the player behind the foreground trees at the top of the screen and make sure you can differentiate between precision platforming and cramped platforming. Overall I enjoyed this level's platforming challenges.

Spinda (30 | 20 | 9)--59/100: Man this level had some good stuff but there being only 1 checkpoint kinda ruins it. The beginning was also super weird because of how generic it was and could honestly just be cut and there'd be no I II II L to the level. The individual challenges did a lot of neat things and I just wish there'd be a bit more of a connection between them. That said, their execution is pretty good throughout, but there should be at least a checkpoint ever 2-3 individual challenges because as it is it takes forever to get back to where you've been. More checkpoints would help put the focus on the individual challenges, which this level already is designed around.

bossedit8 (13 | 15 | 7)--35/100: I question quite a bit in this level. First of all, why are you setting several enemies to a pretty high score? In that kind of sense you're getting 1UPs really easily that way. Then there's quite a lot of usages with the bridges but for whatever reason they make the level lag like quite a bit if there are a lot of NPCs being active like this. Or maybe something else is lagging rather than just this like the tiles and background objects but you know, making the level lag on it's own and not with the computer performance by itself that's actually really bad! Other than that though this level is decent like I do like what you did with the timers and other areas where you maneuver through the stages like jumping on enemies and then be fast on certain sections... if it seriously wasn't lagging like this... oh and if it wasn't for grinding for 1UPs that easily aswell!
Bread - The Interstellar Castle of Extreme Space (54/100)
PixelPest (24 | 12 | 10)--46/100: This level was interesting. The space theme was neat however the floaty controls were a little frustrating and there wasn't much exploration of platforming set-ups in this level which made it get boring quickly; there were some good progressions with the spikey enemies however there were only really two types of enemies in the level which made things boring pretty quickly as many of the set-ups seemed repetitive. Consider taking advantage of the floating controls and challenge the player's turning abilities and maneuverability in different respects than just avoiding enemies. Aesthetically, I understand that it's a space level however it still seemed just a little too bland and the fade transitions between the sections were too rapid and janky. The bright light and shaking effect at the one point was also a little too excessive. It has a lot of potential but this level just didn't take advantage of all of it, however it did have some good stuff.

Spinda (25 | 13 | 11)--49/100: The mechanics by themselves were pretty interesting and there were some interesting setups done with them, but overall it just falls a little flat. The first section just feels really empty, which can be attributed to a lack of objects aside from the occasional enemy and very occasional ?-Block as well as the slow movement due to the different gravity. A central issue with most low-gravity levels is that the slow descent makes every jump take so much longer and due to there being little potential in making that interesting, everything drags on for far longer than it ideally should.
The cavern section is better, although little new is added and it largely feels like just more of the same.
The section with normal gravity just feels super out-of-place because it barely takes any time to go through and does very little.

bossedit8 (23 | 25 | 19)--67/100: Space area where gravity has less of an affection here but also you fall down slower where you have to watch out for. This level is pretty neat although moving layers with slopes can be pretty janky upon collision with the player. Also some rock formations can really threw the player off like touching the ceiling and then falling closely to the ledge underneeth it with some spinning firebar replacements and such... yeah, I mean it's not too bad it's an slight annoyance this level has. I do like the jumping enemies that also has gravity involved and not only the player. That's pretty cool. After the halfway point you are like inside the brick building with rocks still but I do find it pretty neat how it's designed like that, pretty open area while still walking one way. Oh and speaking of bricks, you are able to skip portion of the level if you are big and clip through the walls like that. After this big section you get to a switch which... boom! Building destroyed with fire on your way, this is where the section disables the low gravity as a whole. After that the star is waiting for you to collect. Overall, pretty decent level.
Ditchencat - SwitchPalace Shadows (85.3/100) ***bossedit8's Favourite***
PixelPest (37 | 25 | 17)--79/100: This level had so much personality and was great to see in the contest. It had a unique and memorable atmosphere with the switch palace village concept and the cosmic clones mechanic was pretty interesting, however often the way it was executed caused some pretty unforgiving set-ups. It was a great challenge overall and had some really cool platforming set-ups, however the difficulty progression wasn't really consistent and there were a few unnecessarily repetitive parts. The mechanic really keeps the player on their toes which was quite fun and the level has good replay value. Aesthetically, it was pretty unique however I feel like it could have been developed a little better and had some more detail. The custom playable could also use some work as its animations, especially the running one which looked more like legs vibrating rapidly, however the effect for the cosmic clones and some of the other qwirky things the level presented were on-point. Some aspects seemed a little too bright in the level however and slightly took away from the calm, darker nature of the aesthetics; the atmosphere would have had a much stronger impact with the lighting effects if other graphics were a bit darker.

Spinda (40 | 24 | 16)--80/100: I quite liked this level! The combination of the Switch gimmick and the Cosmic Clone gimmick worked rather well, although I feel the delay for the clone's movement was a bit too small? I'm also not a huge fan of the placement of ?-Blocks in the clone sections - they're placed like in a normal section, but the existence of the clone makes getting those far more dangerous and it sucks when you only get a coin for it.
Aside from that, I really liked most of the setups and wish this gimmick would be expanded upon a bit more. The secret exit seemed like it'd be a pain initially, but due to doors being both ways it was actually pretty good and even added some nonlinearity to the mix (since the idea order of events from the midpoint is Remove the first two walls -> go back and get the key -> continue). The atmosphere was pretty weird, but it had quite a bit of charme to it and I personally quite enjoyed it.

bossedit8 (49 | 30 | 18)--97/100: This music brings up memories from the Super Mario Galaxy era! And whould you look at that, something that even brings up Super Mario Galaxy completly which is a dark clone of yourself... but only once you reach to these character's disabled blocks. Once you go over them again the clone die off... clone also dies when you die. This... is a powerful, amazing concept this level has in store! I also like how it gets more puzzle like and also that there are multiple secrets along the way while having to deal with the shadow of yourself or at least for the most part of the whole level. I'm glad there are pauses inbetween and also that it works quite well as of how the shadow even appears and such. I do encounter one issue though which is very random as when the shadow is trying to appear (not sure what causes it exactly)... once the debug window appears, the shadow is pretty much gone in it's entirely and that counts for the whole stage aswell. I mean, it's not like it breaks the entire level and such but it just makes the level way too easy. Eitherway, this level is just simply amazing as of how it's been structured! Also that ending! So cool!
Ludwig_von Koopa - Dark Bowsers Dungeon of Despair (39/100)
PixelPest (20 | 6 | 12)--38/100: This was an interesting level that was a bit enjoyable overall, but not very exciting. There were some good enemy set-ups, like the second thwomp in the first section, but in a lot of cases there was way too much enemy variety that it just felt a little cluttered and unfocused, and losing these good set-ups in exchange for more random set-ups of just varied enemies that often never appeared later in the level. The beginning of the second castle section is a major difficulty spike from the first in which the player immediately upon entering encounters a boo, two Bowser statues shooting fireballs, a goomba, and a paragoomba in a relatively small space, which was a little excessive. The random miniboss fights also just didn't seem to add to the level and a lot of it in general seemed like filler, just to take more time (such as the piranhacus giganticus obstacle). A major issue this level had is conveying certain things to the player, such as the banzai bill in the first castle section and the vertical section with the quickly-rising lava which really surprises the player after they just grab the checkpoint. Both of these obstacles give the player very little time to react and I just barely missed a hit from the banzai bill, probably for no reason other that I was spinjumping and could duck and get to the ground faster. The player should be provided some kind of indication as to these types of obstacles existing so that they don't take an unfair hit. Aesthetically, this level had background appearance but seemed to be a little too cluttered in the midground with all of the enemies, which sometimes took away from the level. A lot of the decorations (BGOs) were also very dark so at times the level seemed a bit bland and lacking when there weren't very many enemies in an area. I liked the music choice in the very first section, but didn't really find the music fitting for the castle sections; something more ominous would have worked quite better. In the end this felt like a pretty basic castle level that had a lot of filler and very few creative ideas.

Spinda (20 | 5 | 9)--34/100: This feels a lot like the designer just throwing a bunch of enemies at the wall and seeing what sticks. Most of this level is just avoiding all kinds of enemies, neither of which ever lead to any consistent progression. There's a part where you have to use throw blocks against giant piranha plant but that's just... never brought up again afterwards. The vertical section was probably the best one due to how it manages to be different from the rest, but be aware that red exclamation points are not a great way to telegraph danger because they feel unnatural. I recommend placing the Thwomps lower so these are not needed.
The boss felt like it was very much just there for the sake of having a boss, and wasn't really all that engaging. Using throw blocks to combat SMB3 Bowser takes way too long and, as with most SMB3 Bowser fights where you have to hit him a bunch, it just gets repetitive.
While the graphics were mostly consistent, it was going too far in that regard: Everything just kind of blends together and some enemies don't really stand out against the background, because everything has similar cholor schemes.

bossedit8 (23 | 12 | 10)--45/100: Bowser never gets old with his castles even though this one does sure look very old huh? Eitherway, entering Dark Bowser's Dungeon with a Banzai Bill right in front of my face after the first pit of the level... this was not a good start for Mario and the near impossible 1 player Luigi. The reason why I mention the near impossible Luigi is because you can't really hit the Luigi Player Block at all when you are anyone else other than Luigi himself which makes it even less sense to be builded up like that. Make sure any characters are available to hit the player blocks so they can switch it during the level rather than outside of the level if you actually designed it this way. Anyway, moving on to these obstacles on this level. They're on the most part alright as of how they've been set it up with but other times it can be a bit too much like a couple Bowser statues next to eachother like that and later on some other NPCs such as Venus Fire Traps with water that contains Bloopers and such is another thing... but well this is Dark Bowser's Dungeon so it's not supposed to be that easy. There are however some annoying aspects in level design such as tight spaces on some areas to go through and then once you reach the halfway point, if you hit those 2 questionmark blocks (either of them) a vine comes out but at the same exact time the lava rises with low time to react to it. Why not make it a switch for example? With a switch it would be way better rather than a triggered questionmark block with a vine inside it since if you hit those blocks first and then do anything else, there is a super high chance that the lava will hit you and die for the first time players. Anyway, onto the bosses in this level. Dark Birdo before the halfway point, not too hard at all. Basic Birdo, basic tactics, basic win. Then Dark Mouser before the main Boss of this level. Again, not that hard but since that the Mouser is placed in such a spot where it almost falls off of the cliff but really isn't and also that the arena is quite tight for his bombs to throw it went into a more weird fight against Mouser like that. At last we have Dark Bowser with a lot of throwable blocks or "ice" blocks as of how they are supposed to be in SMB3. Problem with this fight is that the ceiling is too low which means that the SMB3 Bowser, once he hits the top blocks he immediadly goes down instead of jumping at a full halfway aimed ark, making it in general more challenging. After that the level ends with a SMB3 Star. Overall, a neat Dungeon level including couple flaws thrown about.
Mosaic - Switch Shenanigans (44.3/100)
PixelPest (13 | 11 | 12)--36/100: I didn't enjoy this level. There's a lot of backtracking and the switch-hunting is very confusing. Throughout most of the level the player is given no direction and relies on solely trial and error to find their way through repetitive, uninteresting platforming to succeed. The springboards-on-rails were pretty unvaried and overall I just didn't find myself having much even, even though I do usually like puzzle-oriented levels. There were also some significant issues with the hidden walls such as enemies being too close to the edge inside and the player taking unwarranted hits. Aesthetically, this level wasn't very exciting either and looked unappealing sometimes with the stacked sizables.

Spinda (15 | 14 | 15)--49/100: The concept has potential, but I felt it was too convoluted for its own good and lacking in midpoints. Once you figure out the path, the rest of the level isn't too interesting either.
The fact that you can get a leaf and Yoshi seems to really invite sequence breaking, but they're both so obvious and the level is so confusing that they don't really have too much of a point? There were also some cases where items on lineguides despawned and I had to restart and if you even move any of the springboards you get over a lineguide they become stuck to it forever which is nice because that also forces you to retry.
I found the puzzle before the checkpoint to be the worst of the bunch, mostly because it's super confusing. The last puzzle was pretty refreshing due to the lack of danger meaning you most likely won't have to replay it, so it can get away with not having too much mechanical depth.

bossedit8 (19 | 11 | 18)--48/100: The name is right! A lot of switches to go through! Which yeah it was pretty neat as of how it goes as a whole but I apparently didn't entirely enjoy it especially with some of the bugs and such to go through like springboards that once they touch the lines they go onto that line instead of being free and they won't go off. Other times, these fake walls, at least at some of the areas it's kind of indicational but others where there is just nothing out of the ordinary as of where those pathways are there to begin with it's just gets more confusing in general. Some indications are there, sure... but apparently not all of it. It does take quite a bit out of it in order to get to the secrets but not too bad I should say... some of which require time and such to go through. Some areas you are also be able to get stuck like one of the dragon coins and if the elevator platform is in that spot where it's too high to jump on you are basically screwed! Also a huge amount of secret passageway at the beginning of the next section made the level lag apparently and apparently, at one point the lua just randomly broke and I'm not sure what causes it to happen... but when it did happen I couldn't go forward. Overall, I do find the level neat at least just not fully enjoyable to the full extend.

Ryaa - HD Celestial Kingdom (61.7/100)
PixelPest (20 | 14 | 6)--40/100: It's nice to see a story-based level. However, at some points it became a little excessive and lengthy. There were also a few issues with the messages themselves, such as the player not always having their controls locked. (Didn't really take any points of for it just to be clear since it doesn't really take away from the level, just wanted you to be aware of it.)
The gimmick involving the double jump mechanic was used effectively when it was introduced, however later in the level it seemed to mostly be used for making the player jump higher to reach higher platforms, while it rarely explored interesting set-ups with the double jump. Visually the level was often quite eyesore and cluttered in many areas. Some solid objects were also so dark that it was difficult to see that they were there and ended up surprising me that they were actually solid. The set-ups for enemies were quite repetitive and I didn't like the use of the constantly moving thwomps as the set-ups with them were very repetitive and significantly ruined the flow of the level. The final boss battle was pretty uneventful as well and I feel like for what was put into it already, it could have been a little longer to make it a little more worthwhile.

Spinda (24 | 14 | 17)--55/100: I liked the aesthetics of this quite a lot. Dialogue running while you were playing was a pretty decent implementation and I enjoyed the little missons, but part of me wishes one could speed up the cutscenes because the text moves quite slowly. I really liked the aesthetic style of the first level and wish it'd be used for a more engaging level. The dark bricks were also too dark considering the already black background. The background for the Celestial Kingdom looks pretty dang good and I was pretty impressed by the transition, but the golden castle lacks variety.
I don't think that the double jump was used to its full extent: The fact that it made you spinjump was never used and it usually just amounted to having a bigger jump.
The boss used a lot of exclamation marks to signal its attacks which I am not a fan of, especially considering the boss is already seen being in the background, so it'd be way more intuitive to have him signal his attacks from the background by flying to the direction he's coming from.

bossedit8 (45 | 26 | 14)--90/100: Starting in a dark area where you train yourself as of how your abilities work and party... with broken parts because that's part of the story. This place is REALLY dark like you barely even see those brick blocks around the area. Your double jump mechanic is pretty neat and it's using it quite well throughout the level for sure! The story is pretty interesting and quite funny aswell, heh... but apparently with any talkable NPCs (or at least, 2 available talkable NPCs) these messages can appear at the same place multiple times and it's really weird. You can spam it to make the game lag. What I would recommend is to make sure that once you talk to the NPC you are unable to talk to the NPC again until the whole message box disappears so they don't overlap eachother strangely. Multiple midpoints do really help in this kind of level so that's a plus. I also like what you did to some of the NPCs like the always smashing Thwomps rather than the regular Thwomps you see every day, pretty unique. However, Spinies and regular Thwomps are having missing death effects. At the vertical section, there is an area where one side of the block is missing to give it an illusion that you stand at one side and also on the other but for at least one block it wasn't the case. A little nitpicky on that but it's a notice. For the secrets, they're quite nice even if by behind the keydoor I get a looot of coins but oh well, it's fine anyway. The boss is quite cool and the length is pretty alright as of how it went. I mean, the overall length for the level in it's entirely is alright so yeah, pretty good level as a whole!
Shadow Turtle - Stormy Barrage (58.3/100)
PixelPest (29 | 5 | 15)--49/100: An interesting start, but this level lacked much progression and flow. The first section was action-packed with the fast autoscroll and precision-oriented platforming, however the second section was relatively slow and uneventful with some waiting for obstacles--definitely a step back from the first. Aesthetically this level was pretty solid but definitely nothing exciting and almost the bare minimum, while some parts were a little overworked. The bullet bill spam section started off somewhat reasonable with its difficulty, however later it seemed almost impossible to not take hits, especially when big. The boss was also relatively uneventful and the intermittent parts with the bullets were a bit challenging, however sometimes caused a lot of lag unnecessarily.

Spinda (30 | 12 | 15)--57/100: The first section and the boss were pretty good, but the second section was kind of uneventful and not too engaging.
I liked the quicker pace of the autoscroll in the first section and while it'd be better if the throw blocks were expanded upon later on, I feel it's actually a pretty good wrench to throw in the player's way during a fast autoscroll.
The section after the midpoint didn't add too much new stuff of substance - the flames on a timer mostly just made you wait and then go fast, which feels like a repeat of the first section with extra waiting.
The boss was pretty fun, but I feel the part where the wrenches get shot at you should use a different projectile? The wrenches are pretty small and tough to see.

bossedit8 (29 | 20 | 20)--69/100: Airship Level where you have to be fast at the beginning of the level... reacting fast at that! Dangerous Airships for sure! This level has it's difficulty being high but still fair type of things for the most part. What I dislike about some of the enemy placements and such are those clouds replacing SMW Volcano Lotus. Since the background is like blue, I kept thinking those as actual background objects rather than being an actual enemy... also during autoscroll they're very useless to have anyway since these projectiles won't even reach you what so ever. I do like the variety of obstactles this level contains, keeps the level engaging. There is a huge cluster of background objects just everywhere. I mean I didn't really mind but it's quite weird for an airship to have a loooot of background objects like that. Speaking of that though they do kinda obstruct the view as of where the flames are coming from or at least one of them. Those flames do increase the challenge later on in the level though which is quite neat to have. Before the boss room, that sign is kinda rude but it does make sense otherwise, heh. The boss is Boom Boom... but you have multiple phases of Boom Boom with inbetween doghing phases which is pretty cool. There was some lag though when you are at the 2nd phases with a lot of cannonballs being on the screen. Also on the 2nd and 3rd Boom Boom, the Boom Boom himself shoots out projectiles from his head which does adds up to the challenge but issues with that is is that there's no pipe above his head or so, indicating that he actually shoots out from his head instead of just nowhere... first time players will probably most likely get hit by the first projectile when trying to jump to Boom Boom. Overall, a very good, challenging Airship level with neat atmosphere and music choices!

These are the final results!

Image Top 3 (Tier 5)
Image Tier 4
Image Tier 3
Image Tier 2
Image Tier 1
The posts containing the reviews for each level are now hyperlinked above. (Click on any one to go to the respective post).

Congratulations to Enjl for winning this contest and great job to everyone who participated. Even if you didn't score as well as you thought you would, don't worry--most of these submissions were of very high quality, especially compared to previous contests. You should all be proud of yourselves.

But don't leave just yet!

There is a lot more happening now. Not only are there going to be sneak peeks at the contest episode posted in this thread, but there will also be some exciting new post-contest content, including the chance for more of your work to be in the contest episode and more!

Thank you to everyone for making this contest a success.

Special thanks to bossedit8 for stepping up to judge pretty close to last minute and Spinda for pulling through as well, who put in a great deal of work to make this contest as successful as it was!

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

gotta say, i'm actually rather dissapointed, because it seems like everytime i try to make a level that looks good to me, there's a billion other issues it has. But i guess there's always next contest.
EDIT:
To clarify a bit more, it feels very discouraging to me that i keep on making levels that turn out like this that i think i do a good job on but there's always a zillion issues i don't find in it and always getting bad or mediocre scores and placing bad in contests constently and i just wish that i knew how to not make a level by the definition, "rompy", which btw, i looked up what the word means, i have a hard time trying to figure out how you make a level that it does this.

Basically i'm saying, i wish i did better especially considering how much time and effort i put into making the tileset for my entry.
EDIT(Again):
But again, as i've stated already, i can try to figure out what i'm doing wrong, and act on that.
Last edited by Mosaic on Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

My Level Thread

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16338

Join My Discord Server below!

https://discord.gg/2pHMZg4

My Projects

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
[/center]

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Revelation X (Webcomic)
Chat Username: Ryaa

Postby Ryaa » Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm totally okay with this. These reviews actually inspired me to finish this level since I ran out of time before I could go through the "how can I really explore what this level is" phase. Also this is just a request, but can you put these results on the original post if you haven't already?
Pronounced like "Rai-ah"

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Revelation X (Webcomic)
Chat Username: Ryaa

Postby Ryaa » Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Mosaic wrote:gotta say, i'm actually rather dissapointed, because it seems like everytime i try to make a level that looks good to me, there's a billion other issues it has. But i guess there's always next contest.
"There's always next contest" isn't a good mindset in my perspective. If you want to get better at anything you have to keep working in between contests and explore many different techniques while also seeing what other people think. Take this score and kick its ass by working hard.
Last edited by Ryaa on Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronounced like "Rai-ah"

1AmPlayer
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Current Project: Moonlight Forest (3rd Weather Trio Series)
Chat Username: IAmPx

Postby 1AmPlayer » Wed May 02, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm on Tier 2, and this is the last results... Yes!

Better luck next time, i guess.
Have a lenny. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have come back in SMBX Forums. Finally! :D

Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: The Invasion ln [(π*420/e²)] + log (69*1337¹³)
Chat Username: Thg1

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 pm

eh idk if I should have expected anything different
damn it i didnt get last place
Last edited by Thehelmetguy1 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
My greatest forum achievement:

Return to “Level Contests”