Reputation Mod

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
User avatar
Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Kyo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm

KoolKat wrote:Tbh downreps for breaking a rule are OK as long as the person knows better (downrepping a new user for something they don't know isn't cool)
No, downreps aren't the correct penalty for a rule-break. Verbal and real warnings is what you get for breaking rules, and that's what reports are for. Unfortunately, the reputation mod almost fully replaces the report function because you are not the only user to think like that.
Kep wrote:What you're not understanding is that the reputation mod helps users become better people, even if it doesn't look like it. You see, users like Christian started out with about 12 downreps, and now he has 5. Why? Because he listened to the mod and made an effort to become a better person. Same with SMBXxer. He had, like, what, 13 downreps? And now he has about 2. So the system does have a purpose; to help users become better people, and yes, some people ignore it, some people make a big deal out of it, and some people never even mention it, and it is sometimes prone to drama, but it's still there for a reason. In addition, it's been here this long, I doubt it's going to get removed now.
There are other ways to help someone to become a better user. While the reputation mod might have a slightly bigger influence, it causes more controversy than it improves this community. It's not going to get removed, sadly. But the staff team of this forum is quite honestly not good.
XerX wrote:The mod doesnt help a person to become better, only he/she as well as others around help that person to become better. The mod just puts a number that the community can change with the click of a button. A profile commenting mod could have been put into place instead of a rep system, because from what I have seen, a lot of users see their 'rep' as 'popularity/cool-ness' in the community.
Exactly. And because the reputation mod turned this community to a popularity/coolness contest, the amount of drama and controversy is heavily increased, and that again is why we lost a lot of important members. reghrhre is the perfect instance.

This community already is a dramafest, and the reputation mod merely emphasizes that.
Last edited by Kyo on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Current Project: something

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby silent_ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Kyo wrote:And because the reputation mod turned this community to a popularity/coolness contest
No it hasn't. Provide me an instance, please.
Kep wrote:it causes more controversy than it improves this community.
Maybe I could agree with that. But it still doesn't mean the reputation mod doesn't have a good purpose to exist.
Kyo wrote:But the staff team of this forum is quite honestly not good.
Sorry but this is totally irrelevant to what we're discussing right now.
previously known as Kep

XerX
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby XerX » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Kep wrote:
XerX wrote:The mod doesnt help a person to become better
That's false and I don't know how to get people to realize that statements like these are false. People like Christian used to be downright dicks and now they changed into a better person after getting downreps which they listened to and now he's a nice person who makes lots of constructive posts. In fact, I could go on and on with people who have changed after the reputation system came along. And I, myself, learned from the system a bit.
XerX wrote:The mod just puts a number that the community can change with the click of a button.
Not really. You have to type a reason as to why you're increasing/decreasing their reputation and if you don't give a reason justified or constructive enough you'll receive a board warning, so it's not really one of those things where you can change a number within the click of a button.
XerX wrote:a lot of users see their 'rep' as 'popularity/cool-ness' in the community.
Please provide me proof that this is true because I haven't seen one person brag about their reputation count.
A person themselves can choose to be a dick or not. Positive or Negative rep, I can choose myself to be a dick about everything, or I can choose to be friendly to others, which I usually am. Christian may have become a better person, but that doesn't mean it was all from the rep system, maybe it wasn't at all. He could have maybe seen himself he was being a dick and changed his ways.

Just because you have to type a reason to increase/decrease, doesn't mean they are contructive or justified. I have seen some of the comments and they are really just the stupidest reasons to uprep/downrep someone. Like I said, it's just a god damn number.

I would but I really don't feel like searching through 150000+ posts to find some examples on the forum. A lot of bragging has been on the IRC though, which you don't even visit so.

User avatar
Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Kyo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Kep wrote:
Kyo wrote:And because the reputation mod turned this community to a popularity/coolness contest
No it hasn't. Provide me an instance, please.
An instance? I can give you several. This thread, there you go. The opposite of bragging, namely being pissed because you are not in that position to brag does also count to that. And as you can see, there are a shitload of people annoyed by loss of reputation.
Kep wrote:
Kep wrote:it causes more controversy than it improves this community.
Maybe I could agree with that. But it still doesn't mean the reputation mod doesn't have a good purpose to exist.
What's one good purpose against several bad side effects?
Kep wrote:
Kyo wrote:But the staff team of this forum is quite honestly not good.
Sorry but this is totally irrelevant to what we're discussing right now.
It was relevant to the point I made. Also, why are you apologizing?

Mable
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d
Contact:

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Mable » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Kyo wrote:why we lost a lot of important members. reghrhre is the perfect instance.

This community already is a dramafest, and the reputation mod merely emphasizes that.
1. reghrhre wasn't important anymore when he started to go into #smbx and calling everyone a idiot and throwing words around and acting like a baby.

2. If you really think so then why are you still here?
Kyo wrote:But the staff team of this forum is quite honestly not good.
I would like to see you doing better modding a forum with shitload of mostly 10-16 year olds when everyone starts making the same mistake over and over again.

TBH the report button might do his job but do you really think the reported person changes if he gets warned? Do you really think the staffs wants to babysit?
It's time to grow up and decide whats okay and whats not by yourself and when you do something wrong and someone downreps you for it you can clearly see what you can change to show this person that you can change.

We already had a lot of people who didn't change their behavior even after getting warned million of times there are enough examples to mention but i won't cause this would cause another shitstorm.

#Freespech for everyone

User avatar
Natsu
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Kuma-san

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Natsu » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:24 pm

There's a lot of shit going on here, and as always I come here to save the day, or mostly make everyone shut the hell up with my reasoning. =P

First off, this system does not help anybody, that's something to clear up. The system just shows what you did wrong, or mostly what you did to anger somebody, or just what you did that major or just some people do not appreciate. If you become better or not is up to you.

Second of all, I don't see that much drama on the forums, sorry if I don't see that much, perhaps you could illustrate me with some instances. They might be on the IRC, I don't know that much because I don't go that often to the IRC, and when I do so nothing happens at all. If you're going to bring this thread as an example, it's just a matter of time the userbase learns that coming here to cry off their problems won't solve them.

Third of all, it's easy to criticize the staff, but it's not like they are sitting on their comfortable couches watching the "shitstorm" that's happening here. And I actually meant to quote that word because I honestly do not see any. There might be some occasional moments where the staff just do have a hard time, and that moment is when we need to realize that the least thing that we should do is make their day even worse saying the kind of stuff said here. I'm not implying that some of you guys just like to shit everything up, but you're basically giving the staff no breath-taking time.

Something that I have seen lately is that you people think that downreps referring to rule-breaking are unfair. But that's not true. Said downreps are the input of the userbase, and as an input, it has its right to be there. The report button in the other hand is to notify the staff that a rule has been broken somewhere. The staff just won't focus on downreps to find posts that break the rules, they do search for reports though.

I'm going to be fully honest here, I do want to see this forum become a lot more prosper, where people can actually see this system as not an anchor or extra weight but an actual illustrative show that tells you what the rest of the people here think. You might not like it, you might even think it's unfair, but it is indeed what they think, and you can't change that. You may ask the staff to remove that "unfair" downrep of yours, but that doesn't mean the staff shall agree with said downrep being "unfair" (double quoting if you haven't noticed). Give this system a chance to prove itself useful instead of continuously saying it's just not worth it.
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

User avatar
Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Kyo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm

CaptainSyrup wrote:1. reghrhre wasn't important anymore when he started to go into #smbx and calling everyone a idiot and throwing words around and acting like a baby.
You look like a huge asshole when saying something like that, no offense. And let's face it, you wouldn't admit it even if this was a downrep comment.
CaptainSyrup wrote:2. If you really think so then why are you still here?
Are you honestly telling me to leave? The fuck is wrong with you?
CaptainSyrup wrote:I would like to see you doing better modding a forum with shitload of mostly 10-16 year olds when everyone starts making the same mistake over and over again.
Thanks for your support. I don't want to become a mod though. And I wouldn't become one anyway because my grammar isn't perfect, because grammar is the perfect justification for not promoting someone, said Joey. Natsu would have been a mod otherwise. The only good moderators are GhostHawk and DarkMatt, and Valtteri does an alright job as well.
CaptainSyrup wrote:TBH the report button might do his job but do you really think the reported person changes if he gets warned? Do you really think the staffs wants to babysit?
It's time to grow up and decide whats okay and whats not by yourself and when you do something wrong and someone downreps you for it you can clearly see what you can change to show this person that you can change.

We already had a lot of people who didn't change their behavior even after getting warned million of times there are enough examples to mention but i won't cause this would cause another shitstorm.

#Freespech for everyone
A warning has an unarguably stronger effect than a downrep. If someone doesn't change after a bunch of warnings, he or she certainly wouldn't change after a bunch of downreps. Also, I am well aware of the pros that the reputation mod offers.

User avatar
lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:28 am
Current Project: Soundtrack stuff

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby lighthouse64 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:48 pm

You notice how people get like 1 warning. It's normally because they totally messed up.
I love cheep cheep's Image :)
Creator of 100+ 8bit emojis
Smiley tongue fan ImageImage Image :P
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
My 1337 rank was quill Image
Squishy rex has been frozen! Image

Some quotes:
Spoiler: show
[19:59] <Lykie> jacob i swear to god
[19:59] <Lykie> I YELLED AT MY MOM
[19:59] <Jacob> Im sorry
[19:59] <lighthouse64> swearing is bad tho
[19:59] <Lykie> FOR MESSING UP THE PATTERN IN THE EGG CARTEN
[19:59] <Lykie> *CARTON
[20:00] <lighthouse64> lol ocd confirmed

User avatar
FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:53 pm

NATSU HAS BAD GRAMMAR! Hahaha! Though he uses words awkwardly sometimes, he makes longer posts than some people including me (Though Darkmatt beats him). I know it's a cliche for me to disagree with Joey but that is a bit of a non-problem

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
Spoiler: show
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!


User avatar
Astronaut
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:47 am
Current Project: HD Blocks Pack.

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Astronaut » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am

Downrepped by Eric for nothing. "silly be offended of a drawing" What is this. Why should I be offended of a 1 drawing?
ಠ_ಠ :B
☮ ✿ ✈ ♋ ☠ ☯ ♥ ✌ ✖ ☢ ☣ ☤ ❤ ❥ ❦ ❧ ♡ ✗ ✘ ♒ Ω ♦ ♠ ♥ ♣ ♢ ♤ ♡ ♧ ✦ ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ ★ ☆ ✮ ✯ ☾ ☽ ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☺ ♪ ♫ ♬ ✄ ✂ ✆ ✉ ∞ ♂ ♀ ☿ ▲ ▼ ₪ ✓ ✔ ✕ ☥ ☦ ☧ ☨ ☩ ☪ ☫

☬ ☭ ™ © ® ℗ ¿¡ № ∃ ⊥ ∀ ☹ ∞ ⌘ 文 ⑂ ஜ ๏ ت ツ ッ シ Ü ⅟ ½ ⅓ ¾ ⅔ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙ ⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ Ⅰ Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ Ⅺ Ⅻ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ ➀ ➁ ➂ ➃ ➄ ➅ ➆ ➇ ➈ ➉ ➊ ➋ ➌ ➍ ➎ ➏ ➐ ➑ ➒ ➓ ⓐ ⓑ ⓒ ⓓ ⓔ ⓕ ⓖ ⓗ ⓘ ⓙ ⓚ ⓛ ⓜ ⓝ ⓞ ⓟ ⓠ ⓡ ⓢ ⓣ ⓤ ⓥ ⓦ ⓧ ⓨ ⓩ ☚ ☛ ☜ ☝ ☞ ☟ ✙ ✚ ✛ ✜ ✝ ✞ ✠ ❂ ⋆ ✢ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦ ✩ ✪ ✫ ✬ ✭ ✮ ✯ ✰ ★ ✱ ✲ ✳ ✴ ✵ ✶ ✷ ✸ ✹ ✺ ✻ ✼ ❄ ❅ ❆ ❇ ❈ ❉ ❊ ❋ ╰☆╮ ✡ ❂ -‘๑’- ✽ ✾ ✿ ❀ ❁ ❃ ❋ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ ° ø ⊙ ☉ ❣ ✉ ✍ ✎ ✏ ✐ ☑ ☐ ☒ ␟ ␘ ❢ ➟ ➡ ➢ ➣ ➤ ➥ ➦ ➧ ➨ ➚ ➘ ➙ ➛ ➜ ➝ ➞ ➸ ♐ ➲ ➳ ➳ ➴ ➵ ➶ ➷ ➸ ➹ ➺ ➻ ➼ ➽ ← ↑ → ↓ ↔ ↕ ↖ ↗ ↘ ↙

User avatar
Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 pm
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812
Contact:

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Superiorstar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Do we seriously need to downrep the kid just to keep him on this forum? pity..
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Spoiler: show
Image

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?
Image

User avatar
Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Kyo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:03 pm

#Eric4president

But no really, I'm starting to think COPPA users should really have limited permissions, and I'm not saying that because I'm trying to mock him or anything.

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby zioy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Kyo wrote:#Eric4president

But no really, I'm starting to think COPPA users should really have limited permissions, and I'm not saying that because I'm trying to mock him or anything.
The COPPA users group is a bit messed up right now because some users above the age of 12 are in it.

User avatar
Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Kyo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm

You get out of that group once you are 14.

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby zioy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Kyo wrote:You get out of that group once you are 14.
Do you? OK then.
It doesn't matter in my case though since my age is unlisted :P

Mable
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d
Contact:

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Mable » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:30 am

Superiorstar wrote:Do we seriously need to downrep the kid just to keep him on this forum? pity..
Kids shouldn't be allowed on the internet if they don't understand anything and only do stupid things.
Also Mynameiseric isn't one issue anymore since he has obviously the best english here and xensors swear words. Annoys a lot of people keeps advertising his forum, Videos and stuff and yet hes still here soo hmm.

User avatar
AeroMatter
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boomers
Chat Username: luigi

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby AeroMatter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 am

Kyo wrote:#Eric4president

But no really, I'm starting to think COPPA users should really have limited permissions, and I'm not saying that because I'm trying to mock him or anything.
COPPA aren't supposed to be able to post. I don't know why they can though.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

XerX
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby XerX » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 am

GhostHawk wrote:
Kyo wrote:#Eric4president

But no really, I'm starting to think COPPA users should really have limited permissions, and I'm not saying that because I'm trying to mock him or anything.
COPPA aren't supposed to be able to post. I don't know why they can though.
Joey set it up so COPPA users have to get parents permission to post on the forums.

User avatar
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5542
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Current Project: ???

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby Pseudo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's 13 as well.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

User avatar
AeroMatter
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boomers
Chat Username: luigi

Re: Reputation Mod

Postby AeroMatter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Mini-announcement:

There's been frequent reports of downreps with "bad reasoning," or reasons that aren't listed in the rep rules. Unless the downrep is directly against the rules, nothing is going to happen to it. Thanks for your time.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.


Return to “Events and Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests