SMRPG2: Koopa Castle!! [Final Update! I think!]

This is the place to post levels that are made just for fun.
AxelVoss
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Everything. Fuck it.

SMRPG2: Koopa Castle!! [Final Update! I think!]

Postby AxelVoss » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:57 am

SUPER MARIO RPG 2
The Dream Thief [Demo]

The main post for the project can be found HERE!

UPDATE !!11/28/14!!

Spoiler: show
11/28 - I made a few small additions and fixes to the level, and I think I'm finally satisfied with it. What do y'all think?

11/27 - Please, please, PLEASE let all the graphics be there! I did use a lot, but sheesh...
Also, some new areas and characters to talk to, and the Checkpoint Tape is now a Checkpoint Flag because of no reason. :P

11/26 - All missing graphics have been restored (I hope), the level is now slightly longer with a little hidden side quest, and some of the harder parts are changed up a bit. Hope it does better this time around!
Hey there, SMBX Forums! This is Axel Voss, here today to bring you my current and first-ever public SMBX project! SMRPG2 is, as the title implies, a sequel of sorts to the famed Super Mario RPG on SNES, although I call it a sequel more in style and spirit than in story. And no, there is no Geno or Mallow. I do have plans to tie it into the original story somehow though (But I won't say how just yet! ;3). No, this story centers around the return of an old enemy of Mario's, who is significant in that until the moment of his return, he never actually existed. But I won't say more; you'll have to find out for yourself what's going on.

Anywho, I came on tonight to bring you a little taste of the game so far, in the hopes that I can get some support for the project, or better yet, criticism. Not that support isn't good, but I want to be sure that what I produce is perfect in every way before I release it. If this level does well, I may add more little bits from the game, but nothing that would give away the plot too much. >;3

This is the first playable level of the game, which takes place after a short introductory cutscene level where Mario is seen dashing across the Mushroom Kingdom as the almighty text box fills you in on the situation (You'll never guess what it is) and he dives into a black Warp Pipe. The level begins with the player arriving atop Vista Hill, from which he crosses a long (but probably shorter than it should be) bridge that runs over a deep, dark chasm in order to reach Koopa Castle. If you haven't guessed by now, the Princess has been kidnapped. AGAIN. Seems simple and boring enough, right? Well, bear in mind, dear players: This is only the beginning of our tale...

A few small samples...
Well, that's not very nice...

Storming the castle!

Watch your step!

Save Wolley from the Hammer Bros.!

A clash of titans...
Interested? Download and try it for yourself!

CREDITS
  • TheNintendoBros for the SMB3 Revamped Mario .
    SilverDeoxys563 and his AMAZING SMBXR GFX Pack for Blocks, Backgrounds and NPCs.
    Nobuyuki Ohnogi's "A Day of Mario" remix.
    AxelVoss for level design and concept.
    Nintendo for practically everything else.
IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING...
Yvan and Wolley are Blue and Yellow Toad from NSMBWii, respectively. I once read a fanfic that gave the characters those names, and they stuck with me. Better than referring to them as "Blue Toad" and "Yellow Toad", right?

Any questions?
Last edited by AxelVoss on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Re: SMRPG2: Koopa Castle!!

Postby underFlo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:15 am

So, this is a level and you'll make a thread for the project later? I hope I got that right now.

The level itself looks pretty nice, I feel like, if done consistently, this art style will look pretty sweet.
im a girl yo

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:24 am

That's the idea, but I started this post 1.) To see if the project might go anywhere, and 2.) To get early feedback on my design choices. It may be a rather short level, but it showcases a small fragment of my ideas for a Mario game, including using Events to create cutscenes and special encounters.

Thanks for the support, but you have to thank SilverDeoxys for the kickass GFX pack; I'm just using it because I thought it fit the Mario RPG feel. To be honest, the pack was actually my inspiration for this whole thing! I plan to add a few of my own sprites in the same style if I can get some decent image software (Trying to get Paint Shop back on my laptop soon).

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:44 am

AxelVoss wrote:That's the idea, but I started this post 1.) To see if the project might go anywhere, and 2.) To get early feedback on my design choices. It may be a rather short level, but it showcases a small fragment of my ideas for a Mario game, including using Events to create cutscenes and special encounters.

Thanks for the support, but you have to thank SilverDeoxys for the kickass GFX pack; I'm just using it because I thought it fit the Mario RPG feel. To be honest, the pack was actually my inspiration for this whole thing! I plan to add a few of my own sprites in the same style if I can get some decent image software (Trying to get Paint Shop back on my laptop soon).
I knew Deoxys made a redrawn pack, but I didn't know it used this detailed shading.
Also I'd recommend Paint.NET

Edit: Turns out I'm stupid.
im a girl yo

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 am

I sent you a PM about your project, viewable at top where messages is. Size you're new, you've posted more, and you still haven't read it, that's why I'm posting here.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Since no one else has reviewed this yet, I figured I'd go ahead and try it out. Here we go! Unofficial review, go!

The level was short and linear, with only 3 sections if you counted the boss room. That's not a very bad thing, however, although even just one extra section would've been fine.

As a negative, however, if you try to go through the firebars by going on top of the platform, you're guaranteed to get hit. That particular section seems a bit hard for that supposed point in the episode, but this can be averted very easily (I believe) by removing the center firebar. Also, in the first section, the Bullet Bills kind of come out of nowhere.

The level, overall, looked very appealing, and it kinda looks like an oil painting. Which is a pretty unique style that hasn't been done very often. I liked the little touch with the lava being drained at a certain point. The pre-boss fight banter was very Mario RPG-ish, and everyone was in character. The fight itself is just a SMB3 Bowser fight ripped right out of the game itself, and I think everyone knows how that usually goes by now.

Even though it didn't happen on my playthrough, there's something I noticed; if nothing was there when Peach fell, she would fall into the abyss and make the level impossible to beat. Like I said, it didn't happen on my playthrough, but please fix this nonetheless.

The entire level, overall, seems like it'd fit nicely in the Pretty Good section. It's fun to play and great to look at, but there are a couple of bugs here and there that need fixing.
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Oh, man. I've been so busy working on the project that I totally forgot about this post!! '_';
Yeah, I see what you mean about the firebars. I don't think the Bullet Bill thing was that out-of-place though... maybe I could add some cannons sticking out of the walls?

The Bowser fight, and the whole level in fact, was meant to be simple. It's just some pre-plot exposition about the Mario Bros. and friends and what they do. Setting the mood of the game, ya know?

I have noticed some bugs in the level, and some things that might be changed. I've changed most of those things up by now in the full project we're working on, but I haven't updated the Koopa Castle demo I posted here. I'll try to get that uploaded ASAP, I promise!

Still, thanks for your support and guidance! I want Super Mario RPG 2 to be the best it can possibly be, and your feedback helps a lot!

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:55 am

Wow I'm doing a review

Level review: SMRPG2 Koopa Castle by AxelVoss

Design Usage, Gameplay and NPC Placement

This level was very short. So short that I couldn't even start to enjoy it. The first part of this level was just a little, short bridge with some enemies, and some of them aren't well placed. The second part was the interior of the Koopa Castle, and it was good, especially that part where there are some firebars. There aren't flaws about the gameplay, the design and the NPC Placement in this part. Lastly, the boss was just a generic SMB3 Bowser fight, nothing special.
Summarizing, the gameplay was good in some parts of the level, but those parts are very few. Also, I'd suggest to make the level longer.
Score: 3

Music and Atmosphere

The music was the SM64 castle music, but was still fitting for this level. Graphics were fitting for this level, but there are also some SMW and SMB3 vanilla graphics which clash with the other graphics. I'm pretty sure Deoxys made a graphics for the things which are still vanilla. There is also a cutoff here:
The atmosphere was good for the rest, there weren't any lack of BGOs or bland parts, and I liked it.
Summarizing, there are some flaws with the atmosphere, but it's still good.
Score: 6

Overall
First off, make longer levels. Second, remember to get every graphics. Third, the level was quite good, but there were many flaws.
Final score: 4.5. Average level.
im bored

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm

To one Mr. Christian07:

1.) This is not meant to be a long or challenging level: It's the intro to the game. Still I have made it longer and changed up a few things here and there.
2.) In the post literally right above yours, I said that I messed up and forgot to place some of the Deoxys pack graphics in the Koopa Castle zip file. I fixed that, plus the npc image cutoffs (Those were Deoxys's fault, really) and I am going to upload a new version of the level.

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:46 am

1. Didn't know that
2. Didn't see that, sorry. You can have a re-review when you'll update this level, though.
im bored

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:51 am

Er... did ya happen ta notice the big, bold lettering that said: "UPDATE"? ^_^;

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 am

I'll review the updated version, if that's okay.

Well, the level started out very similarly, with Mario going across a rickety bridge to reach the castle. Nothing really changed in that section except for it being a bit longer, so let's move on to section two!

Section two is inside the castle. The cutoff that RudeGuy mentioned is still there, but honestly, I don't see how that's a major problem. A slightly bigger problem is the fact that there's still some missing gfx. Specifically, the flip blocks and the Hammer Brother death effect. There were also some missing graphics and messed-up masks (like with Peach, the coin you collect in Bowser's Room, etc), and I don't know if it's something wrong on my end, or you just neglected to put them in, but again, it's no big deal. The level is still playable in its entirety. Anyways, after you plow through the couple of Hammer Brothers, you jump up through some flip-blocks and enter a new section that wasn't present in the last version of this level. This is the section where the hidden side-quest can be found. (Which I found by accident, believe it or not. Heh.) Basically, you beat a couple more Hammer Bros, and collect an axe (again, missing graphic, here) to save Toad, who gives you a 1-UP.

After heading back to the main section, you get to hop onto a skull raft and dodge a few enemies before jumping off and reaching the door to Bowser's Room. The fight with the big guy himself is, again, same as before. Nothing to say here. But that new cutscene after the fight was amazing, and I absolutely loved it! The dialogue felt like it was really written by people at Nintendo.

All-in-all, despite its issues with graphics, the level was a solid, playable, and endearing experience. It's no super-detailed level with lots of NPC variety and its own mini-story arc, but it's not Trash Can material, either. I'd give it... a 7/10, which is Pretty Good. That's fair, right?
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:
SuperMario12345 wrote:The deadline is tomorrow everyone! Make sure your level is finished, completable, there are no glitches, and it ends with a star!Thats the key to a good score!

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Okay, I'm uploading it one more time, and hopefully I included all the missing graphics and masks this time. If I didn't, please let me know, alright? I'm not giving up until this level is perfect!

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:12 pm

I'd have to say I agree with AxelVoss that this level should be short. It's not good to have a big long castle as level 1.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Re: SMRPG2: Koopa Castle!! [Final Update! I think!]

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:47 pm

@ AxelVoss:

If you want this to be re-reviewed, you should follow the directions in the "Re-Reviewing" topic.
m4sterbr0s wrote:In order for your level to be considered for a re-review, you will need to PM a Level Judge. In the PM, you say what was changed and include a new download link. DO NOT DO THIS IN THE TOPIC.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:@ AxelVoss:

If you want this to be re-reviewed, you should follow the directions in the "Re-Reviewing" topic.
m4sterbr0s wrote:In order for your level to be considered for a re-review, you will need to PM a Level Judge. In the PM, you say what was changed and include a new download link. DO NOT DO THIS IN THE TOPIC.
Er, well, my intention wasn't really to have it reviewed at all. I just wanted to share my level with you guys. I made changes and updated accordingly to problems people found. If you really want me to, I'll gladly do what you ask.

Chip Potato
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Chip Potato » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:40 pm

AxelVoss wrote:Er, well, my intention wasn't really to have it reviewed at all.
Isn't that what the Casual Levels section is for?
Projects I'm supporting:
Enjl wrote:

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:15 pm

T_T;

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:10 pm

AxelVoss wrote:T_T;
Don't make posts like this.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh, for Arceus's sake, all I wanted was to share a level of my first game with all of you, and this is what I get.
Just... stop. play the level, or something, if you want to, I guess... And be happy. Please?

Return to “Casual Levels”