Rhys's Radical Levels (SCC Entry)

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Showcase all of your levels in one topic.
RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Rhys's Radical Levels (SCC Entry)

Postby RhysOwens » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:47 am

Rhys's Radical Levels

The Pure Red Inferno (13th Place in Thwomp King's Lava Level Contest)
Final Review Score: 3.33/10

Old (The One submitted to the Contest)
Spoiler: show
Screenshots:
Requires LunaLua V0.7.3.0 or higher to play.
Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh19y389ne5kc ... o.zip?dl=0
New (Slight Improvements on what the reviewers didn't like)
Screenshots:
Requires LunaLua V0.7.3.0 or higher to play.
Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4f3tbn0qaauq ... 9.zip?dl=0
Humongo Grassland
This level is a Giant SMW-Themed level. I made sure everything was reachable.
Old Version: New Version: Ice-Cold Cave of Shivers (4th Place in Thwomp King's Downwards Level Contest)
Final Review Score: 3.32/10 Ludwig's Damaging Doomships (6th Place in Thwomp King's Structure Level Contest)
Final Review Score: 3.01/10
Home of the Opened Gravestones (7th Place in Thwomp King's Haunted Contest 2)
Final Review Score: 3.38/10 Rise of the Tinsuits (Originally for Electriking's Vanilla Contest, which he decided to forget about.) The Lost Temple of Nifito (Super Community Contest | 19th Place)
Rating: 6/10 More Levels Coming Soon!
Last edited by RhysOwens on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:57 am, edited 8 times in total.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Rhys's Radical Levels

Postby RhysOwens » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:01 am

UPDATE:
The New Version of The Pure Red Inferno has been added. It uses a different tileset and removes the leaf from section 1(It made section 2 too easy). I removed some Podoboos from Section 2 and another fire flower from section 3.

youngtomlin
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby youngtomlin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Here is a review.

Design
The level design is pretty good for a lava themed stage. It has a lot of lava themed areas with a dark BG and red items and enemies. There were a lot of Fire Bros. that added to the theme and created a more difficult level. In the first section I loved the red bushes and the skulls drilled into the ground. It gave the level a very menacing feel too it. The second section was slightly empty and felt a bit vague however there are still the bushes. I would switch those for something else or move them higher up the BG as they are just floating on lava, which does not make much sense. There was also not much else in the design other than the bushes in the interior of the level. The music fit very well and further enhanced the lava/inferno feel. The level was quite short and I think you could of extended it further by mixing the second and third section's together so you had some land platforming and skull raft sections in the same area to extend the level further. I would also add more coins as they are and great way to make the design less repetitive. I would also remove another Fire Flower from Section Three as there are two very close together. The level's design was mostly good however.

Difficulty
There are a lot of Fire Bros which could cause a problem if not dealt with quickly. The first and third sections are a good difficulty as there are good amounts of enemies and jumps that you need to traverse and deal with in you have a Fire Flower. The second section is quite difficult though and you have to deal with random Podoboos jumping from the lava and you also have to dodge the Blargg's too. This creates a lot of difficulty that was quite hard to complete as I took damage a lot from the Podoboos when they were in groups and would just shoot up and damage you. There is a provided Yoshi that is very useful in the second section as you can step on the Podoboos with the shoes and easily dodge them. I would not want to try the original version with even more Podoboos and that would be even worse. Other than that tough the difficult is balanced enough to be fun and tough to play.

Enjoyability
The level is pretty fun to play and keeps you on your feet throughout the second and third sections. As said before I would love to see the level extended with a fourth section and combine the two previous sections together to make the level longer but keeping the player engaged.

Overall
The level was fun to play though and I enjoyed playing it. Would love to see more level's or a new version of this with and extended area. Please take in mind that improvements noted in the review.

7/10

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:30 am

youngtomlin wrote:Here is a review.

Design
The level design is pretty good for a lava themed stage. It has a lot of lava themed areas with a dark BG and red items and enemies. There were a lot of Fire Bros. that added to the theme and created a more difficult level. In the first section I loved the red bushes and the skulls drilled into the ground. It gave the level a very menacing feel too it. The second section was slightly empty and felt a bit vague however there are still the bushes. I would switch those for something else or move them higher up the BG as they are just floating on lava, which does not make much sense. There was also not much else in the design other than the bushes in the interior of the level. The music fit very well and further enhanced the lava/inferno feel. The level was quite short and I think you could of extended it further by mixing the second and third section's together so you had some land platforming and skull raft sections in the same area to extend the level further. I would also add more coins as they are and great way to make the design less repetitive. I would also remove another Fire Flower from Section Three as there are two very close together. The level's design was mostly good however.

Difficulty
There are a lot of Fire Bros which could cause a problem if not dealt with quickly. The first and third sections are a good difficulty as there are good amounts of enemies and jumps that you need to traverse and deal with in you have a Fire Flower. The second section is quite difficult though and you have to deal with random Podoboos jumping from the lava and you also have to dodge the Blargg's too. This creates a lot of difficulty that was quite hard to complete as I took damage a lot from the Podoboos when they were in groups and would just shoot up and damage you. There is a provided Yoshi that is very useful in the second section as you can step on the Podoboos with the shoes and easily dodge them. I would not want to try the original version with even more Podoboos and that would be even worse. Other than that tough the difficult is balanced enough to be fun and tough to play.

Enjoyability
The level is pretty fun to play and keeps you on your feet throughout the second and third sections. As said before I would love to see the level extended with a fourth section and combine the two previous sections together to make the level longer but keeping the player engaged.

Overall
The level was fun to play though and I enjoyed playing it. Would love to see more level's or a new version of this with and extended area. Please take in mind that improvements noted in the review.

7/10
Thanks for the feedback. Way more positive than the contest's final score.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:41 pm

Update: A new level has been added! Humongo Grassland is it's name.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:33 am

Update: My Submission to the Downwards Level Contest has been added. I was supposed to submit it earlier this week but I couldn't be bothered to.

Cidro
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Cidro » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:44 pm

I've just played Humongo Grassland and it was a bit simple and short. I would really love it if you could extend the level in a good way.
The ghost living the afterlife who makes human music.

Stuff that has gained my attention

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:34 am

Goshdarnit, why couldn't humongo grassland be longer!? It's a great level!
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Matt_The_Slime wrote:Goshdarnit, why couldn't humongo grassland be longer!? It's a great level!
I didn't really bother doing more. I may make an update on it soon.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Update: My Submission to the Structure Level Contest has been added, for those who want to see how bad it is.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:22 am

Update: My Submission to the Haunted Contest 2 has been added.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:20 am

I'm planning on updating Humongo Grassland because I realized how easy and short it was.
I'll be keeping the old version as the Short Version.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

The Update I planned on making has just been released.
I made it longer and added Koopas and Dragon Coins.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Rhys's Radical Levels (Level Update)

Postby RhysOwens » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Added Rise of the Tinsuits, which was made for Electriking's Vanilla Contest but the contest failed so was forgot about.
I was impressed by this one so that's why released it.

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Rhys's Radical Levels (SCC Entry)

Postby RhysOwens » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 am

Aight, I added my Super Community Contest entry.

Return to “Levels”