Losing Powerups

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Losing Powerups

Postby Yogi_Bear » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:15 pm

In my project, each temple has a unique powerup that you use to get through it. In most instances, this is a suit that Mario wears. (Leaf/Fire Flower/etc) However, entering certain temples with certain suits would effectively break them, as you could shortcut a puzzle, access areas early, or kill enemies that are important.

Now, my idea to force ones to lose them is a complicated system of spikes, hearts, and more spikes, thus forcing the player to lose powerups on spikes, and abandon his stored item to cross another set of spikes. This seems tedious to make, complicated, and anti-plot (why would our hero purposely maim himself?!)

So I ask, is there a better way? Can I force the player to lose powerups without resorting to sketchy means?
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: Losing Powerups

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:38 pm

All else I could say would have to be to use invisible Poison Mushrooms, but I'm not sure.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

I think you can use LunaDLL to change the state of the player, and you can set it up to do so when you destroy an axe npc. Im not sure how exactly, but I think I remember a code doing such a thing.

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Thank you for the ideas. I dont know what LunaDLL is, but I hear it can be a bit of a hassle. As for poison mushrooms, thats great, except it doesnt force a player to abandon his stored item. Though I think invisible poison mushrooms would look better than random spikes.

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:12 pm

LunaDll can be found here. http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=1009 It is also capable of removing the stored item. It may take a bit of getting used to, but its pretty grand in the end. Not saying you have to use it though, as a lot of people still seem to not understand it fully or at all, like me.

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Better solution, after you touched a Poison Mushroom, there is a Event that forces you press the "Drop Button" (also that doesn't allow you to move while that has been activated) and make sure after like multiple Seconds you can move again.

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Bossedit, how do you have an event do that?

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:48 pm

bossedit8 wrote:Better solution, after you touched a Poison Mushroom, there is a Event that forces you press the "Drop Button" (also that doesn't allow you to move while that has been activated) and make sure after like multiple Seconds you can move again.
Can't the player just grab the item as it falls...?

SilverDeoxys563
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:51 pm

The main problem with Poison Mushrooms, I think, would be that the game couldn't check to see if you were small, because in that instance you'd die. LunaDLL seems to be a pretty good solution here.
ImageImage
<Ragont> as303298 the movie.wmmp
In these days, I feel particularly blessed, contented, thankful, and inspired to be Christian.

Please don't Steam message me after midnight, kthx.

bossedit8
Toad
Toad

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 pm

XerX wrote:Can't the player just grab the item as it falls...?
You can make sure that you can't move the player for 4 Seconds while the Item falls off the screen. One thing for sure is to be not at the center of the screen where you Start off. Also:

Works without LunaDLL!!!

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:03 am

The poison mushroom issue could be remedied with hearts being available beforehand. Between that and bosseditors event tactics, I should be able to get the job done. the problem is I have to have it play out right after 5 separate temples, so it will be a ton of events lol.

Thank you all for your help, this should help make my episode run more smoothly.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:06 am

bossedit8 wrote:Better solution, after you touched a Poison Mushroom, there is a Event that forces you press the "Drop Button" (also that doesn't allow you to move while that has been activated) and make sure after like multiple Seconds you can move again.
So the player is forced to watch their stored item leave the screen? What?!?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

bossedit8
Toad
Toad

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:07 am

FanofSMBX wrote:So the player is forced to watch their stored item leave the screen? What?!?
Yes, exactly that. Of course it is somewhat weird but that is sadly the only way to do it...

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:11 am

But it's not the only way to do it. We have LunaDLL.

bossedit8
Toad
Toad

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:00 am

XerX wrote:But it's not the only way to do it. We have LunaDLL.
Well, to be specific by that, yes, there are multiple ways as of how to do it but the only regular way with no helpful program devices what so ever (SMBX alone) is what I described at the earlier Messages in this Topic. Not everyone can utulize and/or doesn't have LunaDLL... just to Point it out.

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/a troll

Postby h2643 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:13 am

bossedit8, LunaDLL isn't even a program, it's just a .dll file. Every computer has .dll files (without them computer just won't work properly, I think), so it's not dangerous to use it, as well as LunaLua too.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:32 pm

I have what I believe is a much simpler solution:

Redesign the levels so that the power-ups can't break the level, and the player is forced to get the next level's power-up (twice to remove the drop box's item) in order to proceed. I've played the levels in question (haven't had a chance to review them yet) and it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to build the levels around this.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 pm

The main issue with that is its almost impossible to make a room that someone with a hammer suit can get through, that a person with a tanooki suit cant get through. I'm sure its possible, but I sure dont know how. Also it *is* impossible to make a room that a person with a leaf can get through that a tanooki suit user cant.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Oh, I forgot that you wanted the levels to be played in any order rather than the order listed on your post. Well, let's take this one step at a time.
Yogi_Bear wrote:The main issue with that is its almost impossible to make a room that someone with a hammer suit can get through, that a person with a tanooki suit cant get through. I'm sure its possible, but I sure dont know how.
Surround the spinning Chomps with solid blocks; that way, they can only be killed by throwing a hammer at them (since a player with a Tanooki Suit won't be able to jump through the blocks).
Yogi_Bear wrote:Also it *is* impossible to make a room that a person with a leaf can get through that a tanooki suit user cant.
Well, when you put it that way, the Earth Temple could be used to break the Fire Temple since the level forces the player to get fire flowers at the end. I guess that the only sure-fire way to make sure that none of your temples are broken is to separate the Grass, Water, and Fire Temples from the Earth, Sky, and Shadow Temples with a star-door (and maybe a transitional section where the player has to use the initial three power-ups in a certain order to solve puzzles and proceed).
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Then theres the earth temple problem, yes. The "screen" that removes a powerup isnt that bad. you only have to go through it right before and right after beating a temple, and it takes 4 seconds. The transitional thing could work, but the hub is already pushing it in size (it will take all 21 sections to pull it off) so complicating it with puzzles is difficult.

Return to “Help and Support”