SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Re: SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Electriking wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:22 pm
vitzie629 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Current repo build? What do you mean?
A version of SMBX2 for the devs.
To clarify, the developers work on a private version of the game, in order to prepare for the next release. This will contain features and fixes not available to the public (yet), but which will be included in the next release.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm
To clarify, the developers work on a private version of the game, in order to prepare for the next release. This will contain features and fixes not available to the public (yet), but which will be included in the next release.
Will this "Private" version of SMBX2 actually have a working controller/gamepad support unlike the recent version? Just because I'm tired of game crashes every time I tried playing SMBX2 Pal using a controller/gamepad!

But y'all couldn't manage that, I just can't blame you for lying about controller support. But that will be described in a upcoming review video about SMBX as one of some of the "Bad Flaws"

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am

We haven't "lied" about anything. We haven't touched controller support, and it's still using the same system Redigit made for 1.3. It's very flawed and we want to update it to a more modern system. Sadly, that is a lot of work involving complex ASM hacks. For the time being, I suggest using something like Joy2Key, which allows you to use your controller to simulate keyboard presses, effectively allowing better controller support if your current controller is having issues.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:03 am

Okay, thank you though

cato
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: My episode
Chat Username: Cato

Postby cato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:09 am

I missed the old credit music. So I modded my SMBX to play that music instead of the Super Mario Galaxy Title one.

ben
Rex
Rex

Postby ben » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:38 pm

I am still patiently waiting for the final version 2.0 of SMBX and I'm really looking forward to it. :)

I would like to ask friendly which different works have to be done for a software of this kind.

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:12 pm

So I just got started using SMBX2 after having used 1.4.4 38A for a long time and I have some inquiries.

So far I've noticed some lack of features that 38A had.

Before I could nearly take any block, BGO, or npc and change its frames number and speed, gfxwidth/height, width/height, etc. Now I cannot do this in SMBX2 PAL, which restricts the possibility of sprite sheeting.
Also, there is no wall jump option anymore. I've already looked into some lunalua code that is supposed to enable wall jumps, but it does not work as intended.

I'm starting to wonder whether or not SMBX2 has a community strong enough to rely on for information and updates. While there's amazing new features in SMBX2, it seems to be missing necessary features from 38A, therefore I am now uncertain whether to precede making my episode in SMBX2 or 38A.

What should I do?
I want a brand new python-support SMBpy one day.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm

electricpretzel0 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:12 pm
Before I could nearly take any block, BGO, or npc and change its frames number and speed, gfxwidth/height, width/height, etc. Now I cannot do this in SMBX2 PAL, which restricts the possibility of sprite sheeting.
You can do this for NPCs in any version of SMBX. SMBX2 PAL adds new options, too. [LINK]
You can do this for BGOs and effectsin SMBX2 PAL, too. Though the ones for effects are formatted a bit differently. [LINK] [LINK]
You can even do it for backgrounds with files similar to the effect files. [LINK]
Blocks have always been a bit more limited as far as SMBX's programming goes. By default, the editor will resize blocks automatically to fit their spritesheet dimensions, so you don't have to worry about txt files for that. Animation is a bit more tricky, since internally Redigit coded it so that all blocks share the same animation timer. It's possible to tap into that with some lua, though I think I'm not best equipped to try to explain it since I have never found myself in a situation where I actually needed that feature (using BGOs overlayed over blocks usually suffices). You can also use small bits of lua to change a block's collision properties. Sample:
Block.config[id].semisolid = true
Others: sizeable, passthrough (= intangible), pswitchable, lava, semisolid, floorslope (-1, 0, 1), ceilingslope (-1, 0, 1), bumpable, and the darkness related ones from the NPC config page.
That stuff will probably be available from block code files in the future.
electricpretzel0 wrote:
Also, there is no wall jump option anymore. I've already looked into some lunalua code that is supposed to enable wall jumps, but it does not work as intended.
SMBX never had a wall jump option. Please keep in mind that SMBX38A 1.4 is in no way related to SMBX2. I did recently post a walljump script, which appears to be the one you are referring to. But since I have not gotten any error reports on the topic where I posted the script, I couldn't have gotten around to fixing these mystery errors nobody describes to me.
electricpretzel0 wrote:
it seems to be missing necessary features from 38A
I'm interested to hear about some of these necessary features we're missing.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

LouiihMigz
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Happiness and smiles in everyone faces
Chat Username: LouiihLukks

Postby LouiihMigz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello there!

i´ve been a fan of SMBX for a LONG time, and when i saw that it had a 2.0 version already? I GOT SOOOO happy.......and got excited to play the game as well!

but the problem is, every single time i try to enter it, it does not work at all! and i don´t know what to do, could you please try to help me or fix something or.......idk? Just please help me :(

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am

How are people supposed to help when it's not even clear how you enter it and how it crashes / doesn't work ...

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm
Please keep in mind that SMBX38A 1.4 is in no way related to SMBX2.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was assuming they were related because of their naming scheme. I naturally assumed SMBX2 was a direct extension of SMBX 1.4.4 38A with the new PGE editor.
Enjl wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm
I'm interested to hear about some of these necessary features we're missing.
I looked into the links you sent me. It appears SMBX2 has capabilities to edit properties for most objects. I am glad.
The issue that I now have is the method of manipulating these properties. If I need to go back to the old ways of editing by text, that's a bit inconvenient.
Here's the feature I'm looking for in SMBX2

So far I don't know how to convert old levels to from SMBX 1.4.4 to SMBX 2. I opened a level that uses sprite sheets for one block, and the results were not pretty. SMBX2 is on the left, SMBX 1.4.4 on the right of the posted image.

I also was playing a level from 1.4.4 in SMBX2 and a door warp would not work, as if it didn't exist anymore. Not sure what happened there.

I just don't want to be overwhelmed with having to redo a lot of work on my levels to transfer over to SMBX2.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:25 am

Apologies for the poor formatting in this post. I'm on the train and can't use bbcodes well on mobile.

So far, a visual editor is only available for npc codes. Not any of the other types. Simply open an existing npc-n.txt in the editor or go to file->new->npc configuration.

Like I said earlier, 38A is unrelated to SMBX2 and tgus hardly compatible. You can expect all features unique to 38A to act up in some way. In the image you posted, tgis appears to be their spriteswap feature where one block id has multiple images. In SMBX2 this is not a thing, because it builds directly off 1.3 and 1. 3 wasn't designed around it. Instead, you can check out the handbook for what we call the custom range, or 751-1000 range, which is a range of IDs for (so far) blocks, bgos, npcs, effects. This range is reserved for customization on a level- or episode-wide basis, so it's difficult to run out of unique collision pieces.

One thing you might be concerned about with that is the practice of arranging tiles however you like. The editor has something for this, too. In the top row, near the debugger hoopster, is a button that, when hovered over, reads Tileset Itembox. By opening the window you will see a tab for custom tilesets. Using the button in the corner you can arrange any type of tile however you like. If you copy the resulting tileset.ini file into your episode folder, it even works for all levels in the episode. Tilesets are a great shortcut for commonly used tiles.

In summary, the expected workload in switching is proportional to your reliance on 38A-specific features. You will need to check all of them and find alternatives like the ones I have illustrated. If it's too much work or you're already too far to consider this, continue in 38A and perhaps try SMBX2 in a few one-off levels to get a taste first.
ImageImageImageImage

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Murphmario » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Found a bug with the effects of the SMB3 Hammer and Boomerang Bros. The top of the left-facing frame is cut off by the right-facing frame. Think something similar occurs with the SMB1 Hammer Bro effect, actually.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Nothing is coming on Christmas. Why? Because I missed my past promises and should stop putting release dates on my stuff.

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm

So Enjl, is it possible to use the same npc but select from multiple sprites in SMBX2? Here's what I have...

I don't want to create a bunch of new npcs in order to to use different sprites for the same behavior. Not sure if there's a shortcut for this...

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:20 pm

electricpretzel0 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm
I don't want to create a bunch of new npcs in order to to use different sprites for the same behavior. Not sure if there's a shortcut for this...
There is no way around it, but if you need more NPC slots than what is provided, then you are probably doing something wrong.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:26 pm

Don't listen to the above. Especially considering there's literally 250 npc slots reserved for people who would like to use more than the default NPC slots.

The "shortcut" is to manually draw the NPC using Graphics.drawImageToSceneWP in lunalua and npcutils.hideNPC(npc) from the npcutils library in the scripts/npcs folder. https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/LunaLua_glo ... _functions.
Additionally, you probably need to use something like extra settings (or a layer) to somehow tell the code what variant to use.
The code would look something like this, for when using a layer that's just a number starting at 0 for normal. With extra settings you can get layer-independent results, but they're more code and I don't wanna write forum posts for hours.

local npcutils = require("npcs/npcutils")
local ID = REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_ID

function onDraw()
local cfg = NPC.config[ID]
for k,v in ipairs(NPC.getIntersecting(camera.x, camera.y, camera.x + camera.width, camera.y + camera.height) do
if v.id == ID then
Graphics.drawImageToSceneWP(Graphics.sprites.npc[v.id].img, v.x + 0.5 * v.width - 0.5 * cfg.gfxwidth + cfg.gfxoffsetx, v.y + v.height - cfg.gfxheight + cfg.gfxoffsety, cfg.gfxwidth * tonumber(v.layerName), cfg.gfxheight * v.frame, v.gfxwidth, v.gfxheight, -45)
npcutils.hideNPC(v)
end
end
end

You can view the draw call arguments on the documentation page. All the math is just to align the NPC correctly and to draw the correct frame.
There is no way that doesn't require coding because, like illustrated in my last post, Redigit never designed SMBX to support variant sprites. They're planned for far down the road as a builtin feature, but it'll literally just be what I described here under the hood. This method is a bit too jank to work for basegame though, which is why we need some more hacks into SMBX before working on it.
ImageImageImageImage

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks a lot Enjl.

I'll see what I can do. Right now I'm adapting my 1.4.4 levels to work for SMBX2. It is not taking as long as I thought and I'm getting a better feel for how this new system works.

I'm curious... Would I be able to help the team develop SMBX2 to get these features built in sooner? I nearly have my computer engineering degree and I'm comfortable coding in C, C++, Java, Lua, and Python.

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:11 pm

electricpretzel0 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 pm
I'm curious... Would I be able to help the team develop SMBX2 to get these features built in sooner? I nearly have my computer engineering degree and I'm comfortable coding in C, C++, Java, Lua, and Python.
You would help, look: source codes of most important components are available in a public:
- PGE Project / Moondust: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project is independent from everything, but used in SMBX2 as a devkit. Coded in C++ in most (there are some libraries coded in pure C). You are free to contribute Moondust development in any moment you want: simply take a most fresh source code and try to build it, try to make some fix or feature and you can submit it. If you want work more and cooperate with me, let's talk about tha in Discord?
- LunaLua: https://github.com/WohlSoft/LunaLua is a main core of SMBX2 which implements most of things and low-level features, coded in C++.
- Other parts like NPCs, gameplay features, environment, coded in lua. Unlike Moondust and LunaLua are developing with Bazaar method, it develiping with Cathedral method: dev repo and most fresh unstable builds and developing in private. Nothing is compiled or closed-sources: all code is publically available per every release in as-is form. You need to join a Discord chat (Codehaus) to contact with most of devs and ask your joining into the dev team.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I looked on discord. I couldn't find any servers named Codehaus. My username is electricpretzel0#9520

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm

electricpretzel0 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 pm
I couldn't find any servers named Codehaus
It's linked on the SMBX2 website and our blog. Here's a direct link: https://discord.gg/aCZqadJ
electricpretzel0 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 pm
Absolutely! Currently we're only a handful of people since many left the team quietly for one reason or another. There's 2 main branches to development: Lua (extending upon lunalua framework) and C++/ASM (hacking smbx and developing lunalua framework). So that mix of languages fits very well. If you join codehaus and send me a dm on discord I can show you around a bit better than I could in this topic, if you'd like.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “LunaLua”