[npc pack] paint panic fishing boos

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
deice
Flurry
Flurry

[npc pack] paint panic fishing boos

Postby deice » Tue May 24, 2022 9:00 am

the weak should fear the strong: show
info
i was going to make a level with these guys for perilous frontier, but since i scrapped said level and i didn't want them to go to waste, i cleaned their code up a bit and am publicly releasing them.

"but deice," i hear you say "there's already a custom fishing boo for smbx!"
and indeed there is. bluestorm's fishing boo is entirely serviceable if you just need something (relatively) close to the vanilla smw behavior.

the ones i bring you here, however, come with a few extra caveats:
  • somewhat more accurate to the vanilla movement logic (not entirely, i don't know snes asm very well haha)
  • you can change the offset of the carried npc
  • you can change which npc is attached to the fishing rod in the editor under "contained npc" (might not work well with every npc, handle with care)
  • you can customize it's movement
and all of this without even having to touch any lua! it comes with the following custom configurations:
  • haccel: absolute horizontal acceleration
  • vaccel: absolute vertical acceleration
  • aggression: absolute horizontal speed cap
  • float: absolute vertical speed cap
  • fireoffsetfar: horizontal offset of the carried npc when the fishing rod is fully out
  • fireoffsetnear: horizontal offset of the carried npc when the fishing rod is retracted
if you do want to touch the lua, i've got you covered there as well. this pack comes with an ai script that lets you make your own fishing boo with ease. just use the following code:

Code: Select all

local fishingboo = require("fishingboo")
local customFishingBoo = {}

-- do custom npc stuff here...

function customFishingBoo.onInitAPI()
	fishingboo.register(NPC_ID)
	-- register events here...
end

return customFishingBoo
and you're golden. (just note that you have to provide values for all of the configs listed above otherwise you'll get an error as they have no defaults)

credits
(sprites aren't actually directly ripped, i manually drew them by eyeballing it lmao)
credit to doodlewill and the /v/3 graphics and asm team (full credits here)

download
haha it would definitely be way too hard if you had to deal with multiple of these at the same time haha, jkjk... unless?

Veudeikouq
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: I am very krazy

Re: [npc pack] paint panic fishing boos

Postby Veudeikouq » Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 pm

noice

deice
Flurry
Flurry

Re: [npc pack] paint panic fishing boos

Postby deice » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:33 am

updated the download to fix an esoteric bug where the flame sometimes doesn't animate.

Return to “LunaLua”