SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Amyrakunejo
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity
Chat Username: Amyrakunejo

Re: SMBX2 MAGLX3 Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby Amyrakunejo » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:51 pm
So why is the installer an exe file?
Because apparently archiving it as a 7z file is too much for people to understand how to unarchive and place in the proper/desired directory.

FTR, one CAN use 7zip to open the exe and unarchive the contents if they so wish. I might end up doing this because the exe likely screwed something up since the launcher doesn't properly work. Yes, the issues I mentioned are valid and I'll post screenshots of them when I get them.
Amyrakunejo, Lady Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 am

Amyrakunejo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 am
FTR, one CAN use 7zip to open the exe and unarchive the contents if they so wish. I might end up doing this because the exe likely screwed something up since the launcher doesn't properly work. Yes, the issues I mentioned are valid and I'll post screenshots of them when I get them.
It works for 99% of people so the problem likely lies elsewhere. We need as much tangentially related information as possible in order to investigate properly.
WildCrazyGoose wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 pm
hellp! the editor won't show me the properties of the levels on the world map! I cant work on my episode world map until its fixed.
World maps work. Share your process of working with world maps and I can pinpoint where the issue lies.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Postby not rockythechao » Thu May 02, 2019 12:20 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am
Enjl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:54 am
The installer does a few things that a compressed archive cannot do. Get permission to install the program.
Well, what does it do?
Rednaxela's the one that set it up but as I understand it the installer mainly allows for installing over an existing Beta 3 directory (though I generally recommend keeping Beta 3 and Mx3 as separate installations, especially if you've got an episode in the works that you'll be releasing in the near future) and it also sets up those shortcuts to the costumes, gifs, screenshots, and worlds folders along with other workflow conveniences and directory permissions that'd have to be manually done otherwise. I'm not super confident about any of this though, so you're really best off checking with Red.

EDIT:
Rednaxela on Discord wrote:So, that's not correct there
1) The current version of the installer is more something Enjl set up, not me
2) "allows for installing over an existing Beta 3 directory" is not correct, the current version of the installer doesn't do anything special for that
3) It does set up those directory aliases from the top level into the data folder versions yes
4) Those are not 'shortcuts' though, they're done as directory symlinks
I don't know what directory symlinks are myself, but they work better than I remember them being in Beta 3 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by not rockythechao on Thu May 02, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spoiler: show
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu May 02, 2019 12:46 pm

not rockythechao wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:20 pm
MarioLover64 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am
Enjl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:54 am
The installer does a few things that a compressed archive cannot do. Get permission to install the program.
Well, what does it do?
Rednaxela's the one that set it up but as I understand it the installer mainly allows for installing over an existing Beta 3 directory (though I generally recommend keeping Beta 3 and Mx3 as separate installations, especially if you've got an episode in the works that you'll be releasing in the near future) and it also sets up those shortcuts to the costumes, gifs, screenshots, and worlds folders along with other workflow conveniences and directory permissions that'd have to be manually done otherwise. I'm not super confident about any of this though, so you're really best off checking with Red.
I set it up, and no. It only sets up the symlinks right now and in the future will make it possible to install SMBX into directories that would otherwise break due to lacking privileges. You should never install a new version of SMBX over an old version's directory. Rednaxela has more things he wants to do in the future, but he didn't manage to finish them in time for this version's release.
ImageImageImageImage

not rockythechao
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Postby not rockythechao » Thu May 02, 2019 12:49 pm

oh, whoops, was hoping to edit in Red's response before anyone else posted lol. Sorry for the misinformation >_<
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

MarioLover64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MarioLover64 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Well I used https://extract.me to turn it into a zip file, so I got that going for me which is nice.

PandaToniiK
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: PandaToniiK

Postby PandaToniiK » Fri May 03, 2019 3:24 am

Hello guys, so new question for you :

I wanna play some episodes and levels shared on the other topic. Do i have to install a fixed SMBX or the MAGLX3 is fine ? I"m not really sure i will be understood.

Thanks you :)

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:52 am

PandaToniiK wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:24 am

I wanna play some episodes and levels shared on the other topic. Do i have to install a fixed SMBX or the MAGLX3 is fine ? I"m not really sure i will be understood.

Its recommended that you use the version of SMBX which the levels or episodes were made in or some stuff might not work.

DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence
Chat Username: DrMekar

Postby DrMekar » Fri May 03, 2019 7:39 am

PandaToniiK wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:24 am

You should use Beta 3 for playing Episodes, except for
fact if they not work, then 1.3. If use 1.4 or 38A you gotta
use it with them.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

Current Project: Mario Heroes 2: The Seal of Darkness
posting.php?mode=edit&f=90&t=23148&p=339823#previewImage

Last Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter

Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

Mushroom King
Rex
Rex

Postby Mushroom King » Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 am

Flurries have a problem to climb the slopes heading to the right, but because I only tested in PGE.

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 am

This happens while one current level starts.
It stops to arise once I remove this file and comes back if I return.
Btw I can't see what can be wrong here:
width=16
height=16
gfxwidth=16
gfxheight=16
frames=4
framespeed=4
grabside=0
playerblocktop=0
playerblock=0
npcblocktop=0
npcblock=0
nohurt=0
jumphurt=1
noblockcollision=1

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am

That's a simple warning, it can happen if your npc.txt file has a blank line. It won't stop anything from working, though, and it will only appear when testing in the editor.

WildCrazyGoose
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: YouTuber
Current Project: Luigi's Adventure
Chat Username: WildCrazyGoose

Postby WildCrazyGoose » Fri May 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Enjl I recorded a quick video to show you what happens. here it is.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 pm

WildCrazyGoose wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:35 pm
Enjl I recorded a quick video to show you what happens. here it is.
I'm not familiar with the "classic" layout of the editor, but I have a suspicion that it might have ended up... offscreen somewhere...
Suggestion:
Go to data/PGE/settings/pge_editor.ini and open the file (in notepad or something).
There's a lot of info here about the positions and sizes of particular windows.
Some of them start with "world":
The highlighted one is the one that's causing you trouble, but for the sake of thoroughness (in case another window is also offscreen somewhere), you can also apply the following to all that start with "world" to hard-reset your world editor settings:

Make sure PGE is closed, then delete the lines. When restarting PGE they should now appear dead center on your screen when the program tries to open them.
I hope this helps!
Also I notice you use the "transform" feature a lot in the video. Have you tried deleting the tile with the "Delete" key and then replacing it with a different tile from the tileset itembox to the left? Seems to me like a faster method unless you're trying to change all tiles of an ID at once.
ImageImageImageImage

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Sat May 04, 2019 4:55 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am
That's a simple warning, it can happen if your npc.txt file has a blank line.
Oh that's what it was. I often leave a blank line without any qualm.

Another things to note:
- Custom gif death effect glitches (its size doesn't fit)
- Tracker music (like *.xm files) is not return to its loops but replays from start
- The music on the invasion2 level38 doesn't resume after Lakitu's death
Last edited by litchh on Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eri7
Banned
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 am

Is it possible to convert lvlx files into normal lvl files? This will surely break maglx3 features, right? If yes,then is it possible to re-open the level in beta 3 even with the features being broken?

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Sat May 04, 2019 5:17 am

Btw is it possible if *.lvl files may run incorrect in this version instead of *.lvlx?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat May 04, 2019 8:32 am

litchh wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:17 am
Btw is it possible if *.lvl files may run incorrect in this version instead of *.lvlx?
No.
litchh wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:55 am
- Custom gif death effect glitches (its size doesn't fit)
Has been in beta 3. It's on the to-fix-list. Happens for PNG effects too, but new effects adapt.
litchh wrote:
- Tracker music (like *.xm files) is not return to its loops but replays from start
Wohlstand maintains SDL Mixer X and it's not only used in SMBX2. https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SDL_Mixer_X
litchh wrote:
- The music on the invasion2 level38 doesn't resume after Lakitu's death
We never touched the invasion 2, what?
Eri7 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 am
Is it possible to convert lvlx files into normal lvl files? This will surely break maglx3 features, right? If yes,then is it possible to re-open the level in beta 3 even with the features being broken?
Why would you wanna open a level using newer editor features in an outdated version of the editor from before those features were included?
ImageImageImageImage

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:41 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:32 am
Eri7 wrote:
Why would you wanna open a level using newer editor features in an outdated version of the editor from before those features were included?
It's a secret but can you please answer my question?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat May 04, 2019 8:55 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:41 am
Enjl wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:32 am
Eri7 wrote:
It's a secret but can you please answer my question?
Reading my response you might've been able to figure out how the logistics behind your attempt make no sense. How would the old version of PGE recognise the features from the new version? You may try to convert a lvlx file in the MAGLX3 build of PGE to a lvl file, breaking the extra settings fields in the process, and then attempt to import it in Beta 3, probably getting a million error messages when attempting to play a level that makes use of any extended ID range.
I presume your end goal is to convert a lvlx level into the format compatible with 38A by bridging over regular lvl files, which is just an extra step since you can convert to 38A-lvl directly and get the same breaking results. I hope that whatever you're trying to convert is not intended to be playable after conversion.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “LunaLua”