SMBX2 MAGLX3 Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
MalikTheHiro
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: Hiro

Re: SMBX2 MAGLX3 Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby MalikTheHiro » Fri May 10, 2019 6:01 pm

yo, can someone help me fix the (the aplication was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).) error
edit: i tried installing visual stuidios 2015 17 and 19 and none of them worked, even ran it as an admin, still nothing.

Westretroman
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Westretroman » Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 am

MalikTheHiro wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:01 pm
yo, can someone help me fix the (the aplication was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).) error
edit: i tried installing visual stuidios 2015 17 and 19 and none of them worked, even ran it as an admin, still nothing.
I read up that you could try to fix this problem by installing the latest .NET Framework and DirectX, so try that.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Lowser's Conquest "Relowserd"

Postby Sednaiur » Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 am

Hello again after not being far from 2 years gone from the forums. :-P
Now I want to catch up and prepare myself for the use of SMBX 2b4 and learn some basics.

But I am here because of a problem no one else seem to have reported so far. Here it goes:
I downloaded the SMBX2MAGLX3 -package from the main download-link from the Talkhaus-side (using the link on the toppost of this topic) and installed it on drive D (I read not to put it into "programs" or any folder like that, since it may block rights to some programs and render the SBX2-build not working). But when I tried to start SMBX2 in the "SMBX2 MAGLX3"-folder, nothing happens. I double click the icon, a short 1 1/2 seconds it loads, then no further reaction. No error messages pop up, either.
After that, I tried to run it as administrator and still no reaction.
Then, I reinstalled it on desktop, yet the exact same reactions occur.
I also read that installing visual C++ destributable 2015 could help, but I cannot do that since I already got the 2017 version on my notebook-PC and so it will not install itself because of that. So I assume I do not need an outdated 2015-version of it?
Also, after trying to start SMBX2, I cannot move the SMBX2MAGLX3 folder to any other destination, because "the folder or a file in the folder is open in another program at the moment".

Any idea what that is all about and how I can start SMBX2? I have Windows 10 by the way.
Any useful help is appreciated.

愛している、ビアンカ!

Spoiler: show

Hoeloe
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Sun May 12, 2019 6:15 am

Did you actually try installing the redistributable includes in the download? You can have multiple versions of the C++ redistributable no problem.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sun May 12, 2019 6:19 am

Yes, that is the version I tried. When I try to install the x64 version (I have a 64 bit OS) it tells me that the setup has failed because I already got another version of that file installed.
That is the message: Error 0x80070666: Cannot install a product when a newer version is installed.

愛している、ビアンカ!

Penguin998
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Smbx is better than super mario bros
Chat Username: Penguin

Postby Penguin998 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 am

Westretroman wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 pm
Penguin998 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Westretroman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Did you try double clicking vcredist 2017 to install it? Putting it into the folder isn't going to help anyway since it's a installer.
EDIT: My bad, try vcredist 2015. It should fix the problem. Remember to install it by double-clicking it and reply once you've got MAGLX3 up.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=52685
do i put it in the folder after i install it by double clicking?
No, you just install it.
well it didn't work

Yey
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: .

Postby Yey » Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 pm

I haven't found a definitive answer to this, and I've heard conflicting reports, so I'm wondering if one of y'all could just give a straight answer. Is it true that files from previous versions of SMBX 2 won't be compatible with the full version of SMBX 2.0 Beta 4? Might be a dumb question.

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Mah GFX Pack (Containing Sega Mega Drive style, PC Engine style, & 16-bit Monochrome GFXs)
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm

I got 2 questions, 1 about Mega Man's new 16-bit design, and 1 about the features missing!
  • Question 1: Why didn't y'all use the Wily Wars palette for Mega Man?
  • Question 2: Did y'all really omit features from Super Mario Bros. Special in this installment of SMBX 2.0?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun May 12, 2019 6:15 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm
Question 2: Did y'all really omit features from Super Mario Bros. Special in this installment of SMBX 2.0?
What does this even mean? I don't even know what Super Mario Bros. Special is, let alone what kinds of features it has! I don't think it was ever brought up in the history of SMBX2 development.
FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm
Question 1: Why didn't y'all use the Wily Wars palette for Mega Man?
We did. Here's the source. https://www.spriters-resource.com/genes ... eet/33490/
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun May 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:15 pm
I don't even know what Super Mario Bros. Special is
It was an obscure Super Mario Bros styled game by Hudson that only released in Japan. Most people from outside probably only know about it because it was added to Super Mario Bros Crossover in 2013. Most of its unique features could be recreated in SMBX anyway.
Signatures are overrated.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:32 pm
Enjl wrote:
It was an obscure Super Mario Bros styled game by Hudson that only released in Japan. Most people from outside probably only know about it because it was added to Super Mario Bros Crossover in 2013. Most of its unique features could be recreated in SMBX anyway.
I looked up a longplay of it. Does it have unique features? It has barrels (DK origin), falling icicles (present in various mario games) and fighter flies (mario bros origin) from what I've seen.
ImageImageImageImage

1230m 1
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby 1230m 1 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm
Electriking wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:32 pm
Enjl wrote:
I looked up a longplay of it. Does it have unique features? It has barrels (DK origin), falling icicles (present in various mario games) and fighter flies (mario bros origin) from what I've seen.
There are also some new products. Namely: Wing allows you to temporarily float in the air, Hammer from DK, Happy Star, which kills all the enemies on the screen, Clock acting similarly to one of the Yoshi Berries and Hudson Soft icon charging 8000 points (perhaps the most useless innovation).

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Mah GFX Pack (Containing Sega Mega Drive style, PC Engine style, & 16-bit Monochrome GFXs)
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm

1230m 1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 pm
There are also some new products. Namely: Wing allows you to temporarily float in the air, Hammer from DK, Happy Star, which kills all the enemies on the screen, Clock acting similarly to one of the Yoshi Berries and Hudson Soft icon charging 8000 points (perhaps the most useless innovation).
And I was also thinking of adding the Wing, Hammer, & Happy Star power-ups into the next update of SMBX 2.0 might add some extra variety in my opinion

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Feel free to make a library for them and release it. My perspective is that wing is part of the racoon suit and fairy powerup, hammer is starman and the happy star is a pow block, so I'll personally work on things that are unique going forward. What I'm wondering though, is why you said "omit" in your previous post. How can something be omitted if it was never planned for inclusion?
ImageImageImageImage

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm

So, after some days, I tried to see if the package itself would not work for me, by pressing F5 (lua tester) in PGE on a random TI2 level and everything worked fine. The debug-menu popping up when pressing the ESC-key worked without problems and the game runs just fine. So, for some reason, the SMBX2exe does not start the launcher, no matter what.
I also scanned the .exe with an anti virus, just to see how it reacts and it does not react negative to the .exe, either.

Maybe anyone has any idea how I could fix the problem of the SMBX2exe not working?

愛している、ビアンカ!

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm
Maybe anyone has any idea how I could fix the problem of the SMBX2exe not working?
Looks weird: the "SMBX2.exe" is a very simple "shortcut" which executes the REAL launcher which you can find in the "data" folder (`data/SMBXLauncher.exe`). Try to launch it directly. Anyway, on my Win7 VM at my work, the launcher also didn't start by unknown reason... (possibly because of the weirdness of GPU inside of VirtualBox, however, I need to test that again with disabled graphical acceleration)
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed May 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Juuuuust to check... do you have any nonstandard characters (INCLUDING PERIODS) in your filepath to SMBX?
ImageImageImageImage

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:01 pm
Looks weird: the "SMBX2.exe" is a very simple "shortcut" which executes the REAL launcher which you can find in the "data" folder (`data/SMBXLauncher.exe`). Try to launch it directly. Anyway, on my Win7 VM at my work, the launcher also didn't start by unknown reason... (possibly because of the weirdness of GPU inside of VirtualBox, however, I need to test that again with disabled graphical acceleration)
I just tried your suggestion but it does not react there, either.
Enjl wrote: Juuuuust to check... do you have any nonstandard characters (INCLUDING PERIODS) in your filepath to SMBX?
The place I saved the package is as follows: C:\Users\usernamehere\Desktop\SMBX2 MAGLX3\data

愛している、ビアンカ!

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm
Check out your task manager, and you'll see that SMBXLauncher will appear, and then, disappear, with no showing of the stuff. It's the same as at me on my VM. Anyway, you can start the game by starting the "data/LunaLoader.exe" directly.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
Anyway, some news related to PGE and LunaTester from me:

Since May 13, 2019, to get LunaTester work after PGE Update, you need to have the LunaLoader-exec be placed into your SMBX2's "data" folder! Otherwise, LunaTester will not work! It's temporarily, I will provide a fix to the deployment script that will avoid this case. (I'll ship LunaLoader-exec together with PGE toolchain).

Also good news: LunaTester is now able to work with 64-bit Windows build of PGE Editor and also is able to work with native Linux and macOS build of PGE Editor and run LunaTester through Wine that is installed into the system!

Anyway, the manual how to deal with that I'll make in PGE-Wiki as an article...
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed May 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:43 pm
Sednaiur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm
Check out your task manager, and you'll see that SMBXLauncher will appear, and then, disappear, with no showing of the stuff. It's the same as at me on my VM. Anyway, you can start the game by starting the "data/LunaLoader.exe" directly.
For me it does not show up in the task manager, not even for a brief second. :-/
Your other suggestion, however, shos me some mercy and finally lets me start SMBX2 correctly. Thank you so much for the workaround. I am glad I can even start it now.

Now I could see what Mario Challenge is all about. Really beautifully done I like to say. My congratulations to everyone involved into the project so far. It really shows off, I like to say. ^^

愛している、ビアンカ!

Return to “LunaLua”