SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
GOD_SAMA
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: just a roaming toad
Chat Username: GOD_SAMA

Re: SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby GOD_SAMA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:54 pm

smbx could be a lot more user friendly for new comers who have no clue or no interest in stressing themselves over things like coding etc imo thats all im getting at
but since its in beta i guess thats a couple years from now before anyone sees that
meh ill wait
wouldnt be surprised if smbx couple years from now puts nintendo to shame cause fans did what they didnt and what have you

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:02 pm

people can use smbx2 without coding, though? everything 1.3.0.1 is compatible with smbx2, so nothing stops you from using smbx2 merely for its new out-of-the-box additions. not every user of paint.net writes paint.net plugins, either.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

GOD_SAMA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby GOD_SAMA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:02 pm
people can use smbx2 without coding, though? everything 1.3.0.1 is compatible with smbx2, so nothing stops you from using smbx2 merely for its new out-of-the-box additions. not every user of paint.net writes paint.net plugins, either.
i could but coding is where the extra good stuff are if you know what youre doing

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 pm

GOD_SAMA wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm
i could but coding is where the extra good stuff are if you know what youre doing
There's plenty of "extra good stuff" you can use without writing any Lua at all.

DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence
Chat Username: DrMekar

Postby DrMekar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 pm

GOD_SAMA wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm
all i care about suggestion wise is that the editor becomes easier to use so that ppl without coding knowledge can get by
expanded animations so mario and others can have a ton of animation frames based on what the user needs or wants (smw mario moves weird than how he moves in his original game and mario maker)
more powerup options and an easier way to add more
mario maker like functionality or just make some things alot easier and intuitive like mario maker
and as for bloat , maybe if smbx2 gets big enough split the download into two or more parts

overall in summary just easier for the user to use without needing to code, even more so than now.
more powerups and more animation frames for the characters
and mario maker like functionality or just make smbx2 a lot more easier to use like mario maker is

in my opinion the amount of time for a complete noob to learn to use smbx would make said noob just say eff it
and move to mario maker 2 just cause it feels like you need a degree to use smbx and a lot of ppl dont or want to spend hours learning how to use this when in mario maker 2 or another pc fan game that will release someday ( mario multiverse) it takes a couple minutes to get the hang of everything
what im saying is
the learning curve for this is too high for ppl that just want something to do simple like i dunno
give link more animation frames for instance

Added in 13 minutes 53 seconds:
just a personal gripe i have with all game engines not just this one
but why on earth does everything need a lot of studying and hours of learning just to do some things
when it would be easier if devs of such engines take into account that some ppl are lazy and dont wanna spend hours upon hours doing that and would rather just point and click
drag and drop
and bang progress to make a thing in less time it would take to spend a long day learning how to do anything with said engine

what im saying is
lol
a game boy is pick up and play
while making a game boy game is a damn hassle and a half

its a dumb analogy but i dont know any other one :( hopefully ppl understand what im trying to convey ...i dont wanna sound like an idiot but i am one when it comes to these things :(
Gotta be honest here. All that "like Mario Maker" why you don't just play Mario Maker. You need to Zero LunaDll
Knowledge to build level in PAL, without anythink Special. (I hope you talk about LunaDLL and not Layers and
Events, otherwise...)
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

Current Project: Mario Heroes 2: The Seal of Darkness
posting.php?mode=edit&f=90&t=23148&p=339823#previewImage

Last Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter

Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

GOD_SAMA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby GOD_SAMA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:41 pm

DrMekar wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 pm
GOD_SAMA wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm
all i care about suggestion wise is that the editor becomes easier to use so that ppl without coding knowledge can get by
expanded animations so mario and others can have a ton of animation frames based on what the user needs or wants (smw mario moves weird than how he moves in his original game and mario maker)
more powerup options and an easier way to add more
mario maker like functionality or just make some things alot easier and intuitive like mario maker
and as for bloat , maybe if smbx2 gets big enough split the download into two or more parts

overall in summary just easier for the user to use without needing to code, even more so than now.
more powerups and more animation frames for the characters
and mario maker like functionality or just make smbx2 a lot more easier to use like mario maker is

in my opinion the amount of time for a complete noob to learn to use smbx would make said noob just say eff it
and move to mario maker 2 just cause it feels like you need a degree to use smbx and a lot of ppl dont or want to spend hours learning how to use this when in mario maker 2 or another pc fan game that will release someday ( mario multiverse) it takes a couple minutes to get the hang of everything
what im saying is
the learning curve for this is too high for ppl that just want something to do simple like i dunno
give link more animation frames for instance

Added in 13 minutes 53 seconds:
just a personal gripe i have with all game engines not just this one
but why on earth does everything need a lot of studying and hours of learning just to do some things
when it would be easier if devs of such engines take into account that some ppl are lazy and dont wanna spend hours upon hours doing that and would rather just point and click
drag and drop
and bang progress to make a thing in less time it would take to spend a long day learning how to do anything with said engine

what im saying is
lol
a game boy is pick up and play
while making a game boy game is a damn hassle and a half

its a dumb analogy but i dont know any other one :( hopefully ppl understand what im trying to convey ...i dont wanna sound like an idiot but i am one when it comes to these things :(
Gotta be honest here. All that "like Mario Maker" why you don't just play Mario Maker. You need to Zero LunaDll
Knowledge to build level in PAL, without anythink Special. (I hope you talk about LunaDLL and not Layers and
Events, otherwise...)
i would if i owned a switch but i dont and mario multiverse isnt coming out anytime soon
so smbx is all i got
its the closest thing on pc right now to it ...

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:21 am

GOD_SAMA wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:54 pm
smbx could be a lot more user friendly for new comers who have no clue or no interest in stressing themselves over things like coding etc imo thats all im getting at
but since its in beta i guess thats a couple years from now before anyone sees that
meh ill wait
wouldnt be surprised if smbx couple years from now puts nintendo to shame cause fans did what they didnt and what have you

this was true before the latest releases, now it's not. Multipoints, switch palaces, chucks, star coins ... it all now exists as vanilla features. It's user-friendly enough to support more creativity than 1.3. I still haven't gotten into coding due to my own laziness but I still enjoy it. The more advanced technologies may seem obscure indeed but it's still on you to get immersed into them. Documentation is quite good, Enjl's YT video series is aimed at complete beginners (gotta watch these myself soon) and there are enough helpers out here.

To become really proficient, a basic intellectual level to deal with programming languages is essential, there is no going around that by nature.

Nevertheless, here's a point I wanted to make myself already long ago, the embedded manuals from 1.3.0.1 could be given an update as well, also to introduce the new npcs. (as of now they're just redundant)

GOD_SAMA wrote:i dont wanna sound like an idiot

then you should actually write more formally and not ignore capitalization rules and apostrophes

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

NyanMC
Rex
Rex
Flair: Why isnt a reddit link option on the control panel
Current Project: SMBX 2.0 Episode; more revealed later
Chat Username: NyanMC

Postby NyanMC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:40 pm

If Wario has a mushroom, he can climb semisolids by mashing the Spin-jump key.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in dead memes as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

Animebryan
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Legacy of the Stars & Zelda II Remake

Postby Animebryan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:23 pm

How do I get a Star Coin counter to display in the HUD? Also, it seems that the YI P-Switch ! Blocks & Outlines are still buggy. They toggle when a P-Switch is pressed or when a P-Block is hit, but once the P-Switch effect runs out, it switches back for only a split second then toggles again (back to the same state when the effect was active).
Due to the 'hostility' between me & some of the staff on here, I'm going to start blocking users who post on my topics without posting an actual solution & are just retaliating/reacting to my posts. I'll try to be nicer with my posts but situations like this & the constant problems with SMBX2 & PGE is making that harder & harder to be nice about all this. :(

1AmPlayer
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Current Project: Moonlight Forest (3rd Weather Trio Series)
Chat Username: IAmPx

Postby 1AmPlayer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 am

Animebryan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:23 pm
How do I get a Star Coin counter to display in the HUD?
You just need a Star Coin to be placed in a level.
Have a lenny. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have come back in SMBX Forums. Finally! :D

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 am

Mr General Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm
-Allow every boss, not just a few, to be set as a Legacy Boss. (I'm not sure this is currently in or not though).
in Editor, right-click necessary NPC, and you'll see the "Set as boss" flag, and inside properties toolbox also the "Set as Boss" checkbox you'll see. It's the same "Legacy Boss" option as in Legacy Editor.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Reign
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: On a break from projects.

Postby Reign » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:13 am

PAL seems to display the number of lives and the number of coins with font 2. Is there a way to hide them without just making font 2 graphics invisible? I use font 2 for displaying other important text and it could become a hassle.

The big zero in the lower picture is the star count that I'm displaying with text.print.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to be font 2 either. I have also already hidden hardcoded graphics 50-1 - 50-9 and it doesn't make a difference. The lives and coins are invisible when I play the episode on beta 3.

EDIT 2: Also the star icon is being displayed, even though the graphic hardcoded 33-5 is invisible in the level folder.

Episodes released:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Graphics.activateHud(false) is the standard way of hiding the HUD since Beta 3 and it still works, to my knowledge.
Graphics.activateOverworldHud(WHUD_NONE/WHUD_ONLY_OVERLAY) handles the same for the overworld. NONE hides the border too, while ONLY_OVERLAY keeps the border around.
https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/LunaLua_glo ... _functions
ImageImageImageImage

Reign
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: On a break from projects.

Postby Reign » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Graphics.activateHud(false) is the standard way of hiding the HUD since Beta 3 and it still works, to my knowledge.
Graphics.activateOverworldHud(WHUD_NONE/WHUD_ONLY_OVERLAY) handles the same for the overworld. NONE hides the border too, while ONLY_OVERLAY keeps the border around.
Thanks. The problem with this is, the level names on the world map get hidden too. I guess I'll have to print text instead based on the player's coordinates.
Episodes released:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Reign wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:31 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Thanks. The problem with this is, the level names on the world map get hidden too. I guess I'll have to print text instead based on the player's coordinates.
If the player is standing on a level tile, the world.levelTitle field will be available.
https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/World_(class)
ImageImageImageImage

Animebryan
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Animebryan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm

1AmPlayer wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 am
Animebryan wrote:
I have 5 Star Coins in the level. I'm play-testing it, I collect a Star Coin, but no counter to keep track of them, so no, it's not that simple.
Due to the 'hostility' between me & some of the staff on here, I'm going to start blocking users who post on my topics without posting an actual solution & are just retaliating/reacting to my posts. I'll try to be nicer with my posts but situations like this & the constant problems with SMBX2 & PGE is making that harder & harder to be nice about all this. :(

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Animebryan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm
1AmPlayer wrote:
Animebryan wrote:
I have 5 Star Coins in the level. I'm play-testing it, I collect a Star Coin, but no counter to keep track of them, so no, it's not that simple.
You didn't set the ID in the NPC properties.
ImageImageImageImage

Animebryan
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Animebryan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm
Animebryan wrote:
1AmPlayer wrote:

What do you mean?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Animebryan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm
Animebryan wrote:

What do you mean?
ImageImageImageImage

Mr General Guy
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Many stuff

Postby Mr General Guy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 am
Mr General Guy wrote:
-Allow every boss, not just a few, to be set as a Legacy Boss. (I'm not sure this is currently in or not though).
in Editor, right-click necessary NPC, and you'll see the "Set as boss" flag, and inside properties toolbox also the "Set as Boss" checkbox you'll see. It's the same "Legacy Boss" option as in Legacy Editor.
When I do it for the non-Legacy Bosses and normal enemies, it does absolutely nothing to my knowledge tho.

Enjl wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 am
Mr General Guy wrote:
General
-Not sure how feasible this is, but it would be neat if we could save our preferred editor layouts like in Adobe Animate and other similar products. (Does something like this exist already though? I haven't found anything like it so far...)
The editor remembers your opened windows and window positions whenever you open it again. Is that what you mean?
Yep. I never noticed that before, damn.
We haven't expanded the IDs for world map items yet. In the future, world maps will also have a custom range (751-1000) and more basegame options will be available.
Nice. :)
Legacy Boss only spawns objects on death. Layers and events can do this easily for the ones that don't have it. More precise instructions and ideas would be good for knowing what you expect those settings to do for those bosses.
I'd picture setting the bosses that don't drop items as Legacy Bosses to just make the level end immediately after defeat (and make the respective bosses' music play during the fight like any other Legacy Boss). Maybe Wart and SMB1 Bowser could trigger an end-of-game like SMB3 Bowser does.

Anyways, thanks for the response. I'll probably make a few more suggestions for new features based on my experience playing future versions of the game, but for now, I lurk back in the shadows.

Return to “LunaLua”