SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 am

cato wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:09 am
But wait, the game itself is loud for whatever reason. Sound effects and music are louder than they should be.
And I checked in the game file ( This time I listened Mario_Jump ) with Groove Music with 100% in-program volume and still have large differences in the sound loudness.
It's a bug in the current version. We're having sound mixer difficulties.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:50 am

cato wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:09 am
But wait, the game itself is loud for whatever reason. Sound effects and music are louder than they should be.
And I checked in the game file ( This time I listened Mario_Jump ) with Groove Music with 100% in-program volume and still have large differences in the sound loudness.
Please download this archive http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/_Bu ... .0.9-DS.7z (compatible with MAGLX3 and PAL)
and take from it's "SDL-Mixer-X/bin" folder two DLLs: SDL2.dll and SDL_mixer_ext.dll. Replace them in your "data/" folder and try to run the game again. Enjl had the same bug which I have fixed. The reason for this bug - WASAPI usage with VB6 app makes on some computers glitches like this are causing sound clipping (The same bug also happen on SMBX-38A). This happens on Windows 10 after some updates. Anyway, the same WASAPI is worked fine with any no-VB6 apps like PGE Editor, PGE Engine, and PGE MusPlay. The problem is going away when going to use DirectSound API instead of WASAPI which avoids the glitch.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Wiimeiser
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Are mutant vine pieces supposed to turn into coins when you hit a goal? I don't think they're supposed to...

Katsuo
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Two wrongs don't make right, but three lefts do.
Chat Username: Katsuo

Postby Katsuo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am

The download links contain trojan! idp.generic and other "idp..."

Wiimeiser
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wiimeiser » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:45 pm

EDIT: Disregard that. Custom map music does work, just not in the editor for some reason.

However, I found a bug in PGE, the music seems to randomly turn on when switching to world maps for some strange reason, even if the music playback is disabled. This appears to happen if I click on a music box, so yeah, map music is broken in the PGE editor.

Also, unless I'm doing something wrong. If I select a level to be the Game Start Point I start there (which is obvious) but I am unable to start in an intro level like in The Invasion 2 unless I disable that option on the map. But if I do, the player doesn't spawn on the world map, and I can't do anything except press the arrow keys to play the "hit" sound. What am I doing wrong here? Are intro levels and maps mutually exclusive? May also be a PGE bug but I don't know.

EDIT2: Intro level worked? May have been save related...

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:59 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:45 pm
EDIT: Disregard that. Custom map music does work, just not in the editor for some reason.

However, I found a bug in PGE, the music seems to randomly turn on when switching to world maps for some strange reason, even if the music playback is disabled. This appears to happen if I click on a music box, so yeah, map music is broken in the PGE editor.

Also, unless I'm doing something wrong. If I select a level to be the Game Start Point I start there (which is obvious) but I am unable to start in an intro level like in The Invasion 2 unless I disable that option on the map. But if I do, the player doesn't spawn on the world map, and I can't do anything except press the arrow keys to play the "hit" sound. What am I doing wrong here? Are intro levels and maps mutually exclusive? May also be a PGE bug but I don't know.

EDIT2: Intro level worked? May have been saving related...
- What operating system? If Windows 10 after recent updates, I guess, it's expectable as it's recent updates set introduces lots of bugs and crap in the system. Even in the news, I have seen these notices.
- Try to update PGE build and retry again. If bug repeats, I going to inspect a reason for that...

EDIT:
randomly turn on when switching to world maps for some strange reason, even if the music playback is disabled
On the world map, the music is usually playing once you selecting music boxes in toolboxes. If you have switched another file and came back, it should play again.

Okay, Just now I have tested:
- created two new blank levels
- created new blank world map
- selected any musicbox in toolbox to start music
- disabled music
- switched level
- switched world back
- music came back

So, it's a bug: music shouldn't start when it's disabled.
In-Editor World map testing is not intended to test complete episode playing, it's intended to test world map itself, without entering of levels. If you wanna test episode in action include intro levels and include level playing, start a game as Enjl said below.
Last edited by Wohlstand on Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:00 am

P.S. Please make a report here to let me don't forget that https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project/issues if the issue is still in latest PGE Editor build.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:19 am

If you're trying to test your world map through the editor: Don't. Gotta test through the "Play" button on the launcher. In-Editor world map testing is currently not supported.

Custom music and sounds defined through music.ini and sounds.ini only refresh upon editor restart. You might've been experiencing that.
ImageImageImageImage

Wiimeiser
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Wiimeiser » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 am

I am testing via the Play button on the launcher, I didn't even try testing the map from the editor.
Enjl wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:19 am
Custom music and sounds defined through music.ini and sounds.ini only refresh upon editor restart. You might've been experiencing that.
Still displaying the default names. The music.ini file in question is episode-specific, and it works fine in game, it's just the editor displaying the default names.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 am

Oh the names? Can't really help with that, since I never edit the names. May very well be a bug then, yeah.
ImageImageImageImage

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fixed just now: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project ... 6ca9a24ef5
After approximately 1 hour, please pull the update of PGE by "update-pge.cmd" script

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:53 am

Still displaying the default names. The music.ini file in question is episode-specific, and it works fine in game, it's just the editor displaying the default names.
Editor doesn't supports music.ini/sounds.ini yet which just a technical debt on my side. By the fun fact, PGE Engine does full support for music.ini/sounds.ini https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project/issues/266

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 am
Wiimeiser wrote:
Fixed just now: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project ... 6ca9a24ef5
After approximately 1 hour, please pull the update of PGE by "update-pge.cmd" script
To my understanding, the current build still has the issue where the editor process fails to close if lunatester was open at the time of closing. Please don't advise people to upgrading to a version with that issue.
ImageImageImageImage

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:14 am

Enjl wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 am
editor process fails to close if lunatester was open at the time of closing
This bug is one of hard to fix as frozen smbx.exe won't die properly, and attempts to kill it are not stable, and also, I need to solve this problem:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/580 ... -file-path
Otherwise, SMBX38A users having a problem that they can't use SMBX2 and SMBX38A in parallel as Editor does attempt to kill any "smbx.exe", and this also kills running SMBX38A because it's executable also has "smbx.exe" name.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:14 am
frozen smbx.exe
As I understand it, it's not just a "frozen" process that won't terminate properly.

Daring Tombstone
Rex
Rex
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Postby Daring Tombstone » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Kind of a nitpick but for npc-556 and 557 (2 way and 3 way platforms) I figured you can change some stuff with a standard npc-556 (or 557) text document in your level folder from the defaultConfig tiltlift.lua. Wanted to suggest a setting you can throw in said text document to stop the 2-way (or 3-way) platform from moving if the player isn't standing on it as opposed to the platform always moving once an arrow has been activated. I thought about using these platforms in a level but once I seen the platform never stops once activated it kind of lost its usefulness for me. (Or maybe there is a setting I'm not seeing to stop it from moving if it's not being stood on and I'm just being stupid. If so disregard this entire thing and let me know.) These platforms would be more useful (at least for me haha) if we could prevent them from moving through the level on their own.

Otherwise neat stuff in Pal release so far. Having a good time messing with all the things. If someone has asked about this before my apologies but 800 posts is a lot to look through.
Accurate representation of me after seeing the new SMBX version right after posting my new episode.
Check out my completed episode
Spoiler: show

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 pm

The npc config (txt) for the tilt lift has something for this:
defaultArrow = 0, --which arrow to default to when the player steps off. 0 = none, -1 = keepMoving
If it's greater than 0, it will default to the arrows based in the order they're registered in in the npc-n.lua file. If you want to change the preconfigured directions, you will have to make a local copy of the npc in the custom range.

defaultArrow defaults to 0 for 556 and 2 (the middle of 3) for 557 if a txt file doesn't override it.
ImageImageImageImage

Troopa Koopa321
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: egg
Current Project: Mario,luigi and the missing shell.
Chat Username: Troopa koopa 321

Postby Troopa Koopa321 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Some ideas for smbx2

Npcs.

Fully working pokeys
We seriously need to deprecate the current pokey npc or have or make an entire new one like the smw one. It’s so limited on terrain because when it moves on a slope or moving platform it falls apart really easily. You should make it function like a fire snake. With putting the number of each segment of the body. I guessing this is more of a nitpick.

Diagonal bullet bills and targeting bullet bills
These npcs would be great additions. The bullet bill could use more variety types.

More yoshi’s island npcs.
I’m glad that’s some YI npcs where added. But a few more could be good.

Chain chomps
A very obvious npc to add. Seriously chain chomps need to be added.

Angry sun
Another one of my highly requested npcs.

More power ups.
The amount of power ups in smbx is kinda scarce in variety imo
Just mushrooms,Fire flowers,tail/tanookie suits,hammer suits,The Star man and the mega mushroom. I don’t think the shoes count nor yoshis. I would like to see things like the penguin suit,frog suit,propeller mushroom and definitely the cape feather and blue shell.

The smb3 boss bass/cheep chomp
One of my favorite enemies in smb3. Another requested npc that I hope will be added to the game.

Smw flopping cheep cheep.
Remember in some levels where cheep cheeps would randomly get beached up on land and flop around to reach water in smw? I hope these will be added too. I always found them pretty funny. Especially how easy it is to defeat them. This is a bit of an unnecessary addition but it would be great.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Troopa Koopa321 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:30 pm
Npcs.
Packs in the lunalua forum are considered for basegame inclusion, if the creator approves of the inclusion. We're more worried about fixing what's already in basegame at the moment. Feel free to pick up lunalua and give some of your suggestions a go. Some like the cheep cheep and pokey sound like good beginner challenges.
Troopa Koopa321 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:30 pm
More power ups.
As per usual, the response is "not possible in basegame at the moment, but can be done in a per-episode basis by building a system that swaps out powerups that aren't currently used".
ImageImageImageImage

Amyrakunejo
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer
Current Project: Crystal Guardians (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, Custom TrackMania courses via TMInfinity
Chat Username: Amyrakunejo

Postby Amyrakunejo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 pm

I am actually curious about what it would require to add more power-ups...
Amyrakunejo, Lady Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

Return to “LunaLua”