Powerup Guard (Stay super!)

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Dracyoshi
Spiny
Spiny

Powerup Guard (Stay super!)

Postby Dracyoshi » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am

In SMBX the player is downgraded to Small Mario when they take damage while under the effect of a Stage 3 power-up like the Fire Flower. Ever play some Mario Maker and get used to only being downgraded one stage when you take damage? That's what happened to me! Returning to SMBX and being one hit away from death after taking damage as Fire Mario was jarring. It's quite punishing!

Powerup Guard was made to bring the modern Mario series power-up regression to SMBX. If the player takes damage while under effect of the Fire Flower, Super Leaf or any other power-up with this script active then they'll only be downgraded to Super Mario, not Small Mario. This will effectively make damage less punishing and make it easier to return back to Mario's strongest forms; and it may even allow you more room to design more threatening obstacles in your levels without making it more difficult than intended! You may also find that this script pairs well with another script that disables or nerfs the Reserve Box.

Powerup Guard doesn't effect Peach, Toad and Link. They already have a similar mechanic, and I don't want to interfere with it. I also didn't test it with any of the custom characters added to SMBX2, so be wary of unintended behavior. It might work, but Maker discretion is advised.

A download link can be found here: https://mega.nz/#!FIMmUSZb!fueiw9pev5E8 ... gb9GZHWC7U
Powerup Guard runs under the internal name "powerupGuard". Load it through API.load and you're set! There are no parameters to configure.

1AmPlayer
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Current Project: Moonlight Forest (3rd Weather Trio Series)
Chat Username: IAmPx

Re: Powerup Guard (Stay super!)

Postby 1AmPlayer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:44 am

If I recall correctly, there's a similar system called "altpsystem.lua", but considering this one doesn't really need a configuration might be useful for just a quick setup.
Have a lenny. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have come back in SMBX Forums. Finally! :D

Wiimeiser
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: What?
Chat Username: Wiimeiser

Postby Wiimeiser » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:14 am

I tested the additional custom characters in SMBX2, and characters who use Mario's powerup-health system (Wario, Zelda, Rosalina, Uncle Broadsword, Ultimate Rinka, probably Snake) behave as though it isn't installed, but everyone else works as normal. Bowser always dies in one hit though, even without it, is that normal?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:32 am

I just looked in SMBX2 and I have NO clue why altpsystem is in the legacy folder lol.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dracyoshi
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Dracyoshi » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 am

Oh... I wasn't even aware that altpsystem existed! Oops. Regardless, I've gave it a run and altpsystem lacks an accurate hurt animation; the normal animation of transforming into Small Mario is played, then once the animation is complete Mario is suddenly transformed back into Super Mario. It's a little jarring. And I understand why: There's an issue where the player's position and camera is offset if you manipulate their power-up during the hurt animation, which I had to spend most of my time patching out while making Powerup Guard. Gotta make the transformation look seamless!
Wiimeiser wrote: I tested the additional custom characters in SMBX2, and characters who use Mario's powerup-health system (Wario, Zelda, Rosalina, Uncle Broadsword, Ultimate Rinka, probably Snake) behave as though it isn't installed, but everyone else works as normal. Bowser always dies in one hit though, even without it, is that normal?
Got it! I looked into the issue and it appears that the SMBX2 characters have unique IDs when you retrieve their PlayerSettings, so I'll have to patch in support for them. I'll look into doing it soon; I wasn't initially planning on supporting them as it wasn't necessary for how I'm planning to personally use this script, but it'd be a shame if I left this feature incomplete now that I've posted it publicly.
Last edited by Dracyoshi on Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:58 am

That animation inaccuracy was indeed confusing for me, so this marks an improvement, good job.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Return to “LunaLua”