SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Dragon0307
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: I predicted Minecraft Legends!
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Dragon0307 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:08 am

I am against this change, and I think the TNT should be left as-is. As a separate variant of TNT however I'll fine with it. Make it blue or something

0lhi
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: ⚙️TheXTech User

Postby 0lhi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:03 pm

Separate TNT Block is a good idea. The new one could be based on the Japanese TNT Crate and display a bomb icon:

I don't think the new one should get a different color. Red is a good indicator of danger. The new one shouldn't look less dangerous than the old one.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:20 pm

I feel like it's too minor of a difference to warrant a new block entirely. The behaviour in the original game was almost certainly a bug rather than intended behaviour, so I'm hesitant to include it, especially since Mario's spinjump is a very different thing from Crash Bandicoot's spin.

I do think it might be worth having something like the TNT crate with a much shorter timer, though, which would solve the issue here and warrant a new block slot, since it could be used to create interesting setups in its own right.

Marioman2007
Flurry
Flurry
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 pm

What about editor settings?

Countdown time
- default value: 3

Explode on spin jump/tail whip
- default value: false

0lhi
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: ⚙️TheXTech User

Postby 0lhi » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:57 am

Marioman2007 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 pm
What about editor settings?

Countdown time
- default value: 3

Explode on spin jump/tail whip
- default value: false
Activated
- default value: off

Could be used to have TNTs start the countdown as soon as they appear onscreen.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:49 pm

Honestly, I like the idea of a configurable countdown timer, either by making it cap out at 3 or by creating a new numerical font just for TNT countdowns.

I also like the idea of the Activated option, since there were levels in the original Crash that did that - though they were effectively mounted autoscrollers.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 pm

IMO the activated option seems a little superfluous, seeing that it can be achieved by simply playing an NPC on top of a nitro in the editor. Things like stationary firebars can hit both nitro and tnt without spawning an effect, too, and their layer can be hidden upon the nitro/tnt's death. This way of instant activation can also be easily telegraphed if desired, as I think it is in the autoscroller part of the level that was shown at the start of this conversation.
It might be wise to avoid having blocks that need to know when they're onscreen, performance-wise.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:13 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 pm
IMO the activated option seems a little superfluous, seeing that it can be achieved by simply playing an NPC on top of a nitro in the editor. Things like stationary firebars can hit both nitro and tnt without spawning an effect, too, and their layer can be hidden upon the nitro/tnt's death. This way of instant activation can also be easily telegraphed if desired, as I think it is in the autoscroller part of the level that was shown at the start of this conversation.
It might be wise to avoid having blocks that need to know when they're onscreen, performance-wise.
Activation would, in this case, mean beginning the timer, not instantly exploding, though you are right that this should be possible using NPCs.

As for performance, it shouldn't be too performance heavy to handle in this case, as it would only need to check those blocks that have the flag set.

kimox_
Goomba
Goomba

Postby kimox_ » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am

Speaking of suggestions, I would suggest 5 new things, I don't know if they are good enough or that they were suggested earlier but I am still gonna go through them (I hope this will get noticed):
1. Random trigger: randomizes layers, (classic) events and other stuff, invisible in-game, but visible in the editor
2. Lock to player X: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the X position (left and right, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
3. (Similar to the 2nd one) Lock to player Y: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the Y position (up and down, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
4. Text (letters) BGO's from A do Z, including the character filters, as well as numbers from (0) 1 to 9
5. Mario Challenge option: "you can't strafe left/right" which would probabbly make mario challenge basically impossible but it would be funny lmao

deice
Flurry
Flurry

Postby deice » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:12 pm

kimox_ wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am
1. Random trigger: randomizes layers, (classic) events and other stuff, invisible in-game, but visible in the editor
do you mean triggering an event based on a random number? if so, this can already be done through lua:

Code: Select all

local num = RNG.randomInt(1, 3)
if(num == 1) then
	triggerEvent("event1")
elseif(num == 2) then
	triggerEvent("event2")
else
	triggerEvent("event3")
end
kimox_ wrote:
2. Lock to player X: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the X position (left and right, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
3. (Similar to the 2nd one) Lock to player Y: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the Y position (up and down, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
also already possible:

Code: Select all

local xOffset = 10 --arbitrary

function onTick()
	for _, v in NPC.iterate() do
		if(v.layerName == "playerAttachedLayer") then
			v.x = (player.x + 0.5 * player.width) - (0.5 * v.width) + xOffset
		end
	end
end
(this is just a simple example, the same logic can also be applied to a y offset)
kimox_ wrote:
4. Text (letters) BGO's from A do Z, including the character filters, as well as numbers from (0) 1 to 9
this can be done using the in-built Text class or textplus.

kimox_
Goomba
Goomba

Postby kimox_ » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:58 pm

I see what you did, the problem is, I suck at coding lol. thank you for replying, have a nice day.

Return to “LunaLua”