WIP Graphics Showcase III

Share anything artistic that you've made, like short stories, drawings, and music.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Mario and Luigi's house from Superstar Saga (WIP)

Postby Eri7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 am

The Graphics are nice, its interesting when people make 2d version of graphics meant to be potrayed as 2.5D/3D. I am excited for more updates, good job!
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Lemlime25
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:15 am
Flair: :)
Current Project: random levels here and there
Chat Username: Lemlime#6026
Contact:

Re: Mario and Luigi's house from Superstar Saga (WIP)

Postby Lemlime25 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Eri7 wrote: The Graphics are nice, its interesting when people make 2d version of graphics meant to be potrayed as 2.5D/3D. I am excited for more updates, good job!
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 am
Now that's a Background image that's 100% faithful to the original source from the hit 32-bit GBA Game: Mario & Luigi RPG 1!
Thanks guys! Your kind words means a lot to me :)
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature!
... Or don't. It's fine if you don't.

ImageImageImage

I support:
Spoiler: show
Nothing lol

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Mario and Luigi's house from Superstar Saga (WIP)

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 am

At first I wasn't convinced but now it looks kinda like the original! keep up the good work!
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
Lemlime25
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:15 am
Flair: :)
Current Project: random levels here and there
Chat Username: Lemlime#6026
Contact:

Re: Mario and Luigi's house from Superstar Saga (WIP)

Postby Lemlime25 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Update 2

I added the kitchen and also altered the colours of the fence, stairs, and bathroom tiles to better match the original. I can't post any screenshots at the moment, but I'll add one to this message once I can!

Edit: Here's a screenshot. Also, I might move the kitchen around a little bit later as I'm not really sure where the best place to put it is.
Image
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature!
... Or don't. It's fine if you don't.

ImageImageImage

I support:
Spoiler: show
Nothing lol

User avatar
64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm
Flair: Flair
Current Project: Dimension X; GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby 64searchman46 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Spoiler: show
Enjl wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:15 am
Posting wip graphics is really hard if you're done after half an hour.
So here's just something that didn't exist earlier today and was done without any specific use cases in mind.
Darkonius found a use for it though so that's good.
Image
Well done sprite work! I can't find any negatives or needed improvements to it. It's a simple crab-type enemy, and it's great. I'm guessing it's meant to replace the hammer bro? Great sprite, I hope to use in an episode someday.
Image
Some stuff:
Spoiler: show
Discord server: https://discord.gg/9Xb452g
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690
Some good quotes:
Spoiler: show
"I slap berries with my tail sometimes."
I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Image
Image
My official YouTube channel:

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7046
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby Enjl » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:12 am

64searchman46 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm
Spoiler: show
Enjl wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:15 am
Posting wip graphics is really hard if you're done after half an hour.
So here's just something that didn't exist earlier today and was done without any specific use cases in mind.
Darkonius found a use for it though so that's good.
Image
Well done sprite work! I can't find any negatives or needed improvements to it. It's a simple crab-type enemy, and it's great. I'm guessing it's meant to replace the hammer bro? Great sprite, I hope to use in an episode someday.
Image

Not meant to replace anything. The frames present are meant to provide everything necessary to make replicating the original AI possible.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 am

And yeah, I still have penlty time to work on my SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive custom Graphics. :|
Image

What's new added so far:
  • A hill BGO that i made a 16-bit version based off of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • A poorly designed 16-bit tree that I tried to add some creative textures to, but failed! :(
  • Part of a tree graphic that is there, can be used a ropes if y'all want!
Anything I need to improve on? :geek:

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby PixelPest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 am
And yeah, I still have penlty time to work on my SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive custom Graphics. :|
Image

What's new added so far:
  • A hill BGO that i made a 16-bit version based off of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • A poorly designed 16-bit tree that I tried to add some creative textures to, but failed! :(
  • Part of a tree graphic that is there, can be used a ropes if y'all want!
Anything I need to improve on? :geek:
Excessive dithering constitutes creative shading? Also why does the tree trunk have a green highlight?

Similarly, the shading on the hills, excluding the highlight, does not make them look very round

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 am

PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 am
Excessive dithering constitutes creative shading? Also why does the tree trunk have a green highlight?
I tried to recreate the tree trunk design from Sonic 1 using the Mega Drive color palette.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby PixelPest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 am
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 am
Excessive dithering constitutes creative shading? Also why does the tree trunk have a green highlight?
I tried to recreate the tree trunk design from Sonic 1 using the Mega Drive color palette.
It still doesn't look good though

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:45 am

PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 am
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 am
Excessive dithering constitutes creative shading? Also why does the tree trunk have a green highlight?
I tried to recreate the tree trunk design from Sonic 1 using the Mega Drive color palette.
It still doesn't look good though
For today's SMXB standards, yeah, it doesn't look that good outside SMB3 style... But I was trying to take inspiration from gfx from other games!

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby PixelPest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:51 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:45 am
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 am


I tried to recreate the tree trunk design from Sonic 1 using the Mega Drive color palette.
It still doesn't look good though
For today's SMXB standards, yeah, it doesn't look that good outside SMB3 style... But I was trying to take inspiration from gfx from other games!
I never said anything about SMB3 or SMBX though. Just in general it doesn't look good. The highlight is really saturated and unfitting especially with the way you've constructed the rest of the tileset.

Similarly the palette and shading of the pillar makes it looks very much more like a bulbous laser

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am

PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:51 am
I never said anything about SMB3 or SMBX though. Just in general it doesn't look good. The highlight is really saturated and unfitting especially with the way you've constructed the rest of the tileset
Okay, I'll change the trunk highlight once i get the time.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby PixelPest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:55 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:51 am
I never said anything about SMB3 or SMBX though. Just in general it doesn't look good. The highlight is really saturated and unfitting especially with the way you've constructed the rest of the tileset
Okay, I'll change the trunk highlight once i get the time.
The pillar also needs work which I edited my post above to mention. The general shape of it is also a little wonky

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 am

PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:55 am
The pillar also needs work which I edited my post above to mention. The general shape of it is also a little wonky
You're talking about the red vase graphic or the graphic used for the tall Mushroom?

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby PixelPest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 am
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:55 am
The pillar also needs work which I edited my post above to mention. The general shape of it is also a little wonky
You're talking about the red vase graphic or the graphic used for the tall Mushroom?
I guess it's a vase then, but that's hard to tell and the palette needs some work as right now it looks like a laser

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 am
but that's hard to tell and the palette needs some work as right now it looks like a laser
I guess i need more room for improvement then. Guess I should go examine the different Mega Drive graphics on the YouTube and/or play some Genesis games.

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7046
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 am
but that's hard to tell and the palette needs some work as right now it looks like a laser
I guess i need more room for improvement then. Guess I should go examine the different Mega Drive graphics on the YouTube and/or play some Genesis games.
Look at vases too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby Taycamgame » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

Maybe even making it just a darker colour such as dark red or light brown would get rid of the "laser effect".
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
Image
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: That's Mama Luigi to you SMBX! ^^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, & PC Engine GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: WIP Graphics Showcase III

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am
Maybe even making it just a darker colour such as dark red or light brown would get rid of the "laser effect".
Okay, I'll keep this in thought whenever i go back to editing my GFX


Return to “Art Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests