Playable Yoshi and Baby Team

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Shocker
Spiny
Spiny

Playable Yoshi and Baby Team

Postby Shocker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:47 pm

So I completed my goal of having a playable Wario and Waluigi concurrent with Mario and Luigi. Which is a nice little team. Two Mario Bros, two Wario Bros. However, SMBX has this awkward fifth character named link who isn't quite the same as the others. So what is to be done about that? Well, there's only one person who is entirely unique from the brothers, while still closely related.

Thus, I chose Yoshi as the final member of the quintet. However, he's far from alone. Taking elements from his home series, Yoshi takes care of six infants, each of whom grants him a special ability. Link's sword becomes Yoshi's lick move, but other than that, Yoshi is unaffected by each change. Here's a summary of the team:
  • Baby Mario (Heart Container): The red tot is Yoshi's most frequent ally, and doesn't give him any additional ability besides being able to withstand an extra hit.
  • Baby Luigi (Fire Flower): The younger version of green stache rides Yoshi as well, but he changes things up. Yoshi himself doesn't gain the ability to breath fire. Rather, he ducks out of the way while the baby on his back throws the fireball.
  • Baby Wario (Ice Flower): Like his cousin(?!???) in green, Baby Wario has Yoshi duck out of the way so a projectile can be thrown. He throws ice, however, rather than fire.
  • Baby Wauigi (Hammer Suit): The last and most ambiguous male baby is also a projectile wielder, but he throws dangerous blue shells (which, hint, you can jump on for a short boost if you are really quick). Why? Because Google Image search Baby Waluigi and look for inspiration.
  • Baby Peach (Super Leaf): The royal princess carries her magical parasol with Yoshi, allowing them to briefly transform into it while in the air.
  • Baby Daisy (Tanooki Suit): Toadstool's best friend is also along for the ride, and borrows the same magic parasol. Daisy however, through no explanation, can also turn herself and Yoshi into a statue. Go figure.
Here's an image of each form (SMB3 style, since I forgot to mention it), along with the power-up that lets you collect it. Also pictured are the fairy form and hammer projectile.
Spoiler: show
This is meant to complete the set of SMB3 new playables, so I hope someone finds a good use for it. Also, somewhat felt a desperate need to fulfill my pipe dream of YATQTT lol, at least by proving the characters would've been decent.

And since people get all up in arms about playable Yoshi, here's questions and their answers, to save time:
Spoiler: show
  • Why does Yoshi stab people with his tongue? Because he could do it in the Subspace Emissary, and that's good enough for me.
  • Why does Yoshi have a full mouth after he stabs? Idk, he sucked in a lot of air.
  • Why does Yoshi have a full mouth after Luigi/Waluigi/Wario throws something? Because he's in pain due to the heavy tyke on his back (but also for consistency)
  • What happens to the baby when Yoshi gets hit? It jumps off, idk.
  • Are the hitboxes perfect/LunaLua'ed? No. It's a workaround, if you freak out because something hit you two pixels away, grow up.
And without further ado, the download:
https://mega.nz/#!rkVUnBjI!I-aUln28cN0H ... FZT0vSSdvU

Enjoy!

PS: Look how cool Baby Peach was before she got cut down (http://prntscr.com/9bje71)

SONICTEAM
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Re: Playable Yoshi and Baby Team

Postby SONICTEAM » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:09 pm

The image in the folder seems to be broken for me, is it possible for you to fix it?

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Also, you forgot the sword beam projectile; it's still a sword beam.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Shocker
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Shocker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 pm

SONICTEAM wrote:The image in the folder seems to be broken for me, is it possible for you to fix it?
It works for me, but here: http://prntscr.com/9bkzo9
Murphmario wrote:Also, you forgot the sword beam projectile; it's still a sword beam.
The blue shell replaces it. I checked in the folder, it's in there.

PaperMarioFan
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby PaperMarioFan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:26 am

That's original and actually needed for Yoshi's island episodes designers))

NathanBros
Pokey
Pokey

Postby NathanBros » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Very nice, loved the way they look with Yoshi!
Luigi Time!!!
"I used to be addicted to soap, but I'm clean now."
My blog: VST Plugins

TeamShifted
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: This is a dead account.

this post is no longer available.

Postby TeamShifted » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:16 am

this post is no longer available.
Last edited by TeamShifted on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:22 pm

TeamShifted wrote:Very nice! The graphics are smooth too!
Please don't bump old threads

Return to “Graphics”