"Styled" and "recolored" graphics - what's the difference?

This is the place for custom SMBX graphics.
Sniperninja564
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: "A World On Fire" Episode

Re: "Styled" and "recolored" graphics - what's the difference?

Postby Sniperninja564 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Linik wrote:Image (credit Chad for this - he used it in SMSE)

What is SMSE?
SHAZAMITYLAM!!

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Sniperninja564 wrote:
Linik wrote:Image (credit Chad for this - he used it in SMSE)

What is SMSE?

Super Mario Star Expedition, an episode by Chad.

I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.

Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

G-Boy
Rex
Rex
Current Project: Bowser Strikes Again!

Postby G-Boy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:15 am

Simple and great explanation.
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

dynastylobster
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: daco

Postby dynastylobster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 pm

HeroLinik wrote:I've seen this problem not just here, but this is also the case on many of the other SMBX forums on the internet, in particular in Graphics, particularly when it concerns modding them to prevent clashing. The problem in question is that there seems to be a major confusion between "styled" graphics and "recolored" graphics, and lots of people seem to use these terms as if they are the same. However, there is a fine line between the two, as shall be explained now:

The truth of the situation is, as blandly as it can be put, the two terms are actually not the same. "Recolored" graphics are basically the same graphic as before, but it has merely been edited just so it can use colours of the style that it is meant to imitate. "Styled" graphics, on the other hand, are completely different to recolored graphics; they look like exactly the same object they are meant to imitate, and their design has been radically changed in order to match that standard, as well as putting the colours on it as well.

You don't get me still? OK, let me demonstrate using images. Suppose I have a SMW blue pipe, as here:

There is nothing special about this pipe. It hasn't been tampered with, styled, recolored or anything. It is, in fact, styled like your average SMW pipe. But watch what happens when I try to apply the SMB3 palette to it so the colours have been altered...

Image (credit Chad for this - he used it in SMSE)

Looking closely, even though the colours have been altered so it looks like it would belong well in SMB3, it still possesses the exact design properties of the other SMW pipe I showed you earlier. It still has the same design of that pipe as well. In other words, the only thing that's changed is the colours - it has been recolored to SMB3's style, or as you would put it in the community, it's a "SMB3 recolor of a SMW blue pipe". However, it has not been styled to SMB3, as we will see now.

Turning to the Ultimate SMBX GFX Pack, we are able to find a graphic that still replaces this SMW pipe, but it is not the same graphic as the one directly above. It is completely different - it looks like it would originate in a SMB3 game. The graphic in question is in Legend-tony980's SMB3 recolor pack, but I found that the pipes are not strictly "recolored" but they are actually SMB3-styled, as we'll see here:

If you look really closely, this pipe actually uses exactly the same colours as the other recolored SMW pipe. It also looks like the pipes that can be seen in the SMB3 pane in SMBX's Blocks and Tiles window; in other words, it looks like an SMB3 pipe, whereas the other pipe still looks like an SMW pipe. This is an SMB3-styled SMW pipe.

Now I hope you've taken all this on board with you when you go around criticising graphics. Now go and criticise some graphics!...but preferably not in AVGN-style.

and also , if you want to know about the artstyles themselves , then go to this topic : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18847
Last edited by Quill on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User notified about post

Return to “Graphics”