Bartz Klauser (Link) Playable!

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Do not create a topic requesting custom graphic. Do so in Graphic Request.
AxelVoss
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Everything. Fuck it.

Bartz Klauser (Link) Playable!

Postby AxelVoss » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Remember when I made that Harry Potter skin for Link?
Let's get someone even more out of place!

BARTZ KLAUSER

UPDATE

Spoiler: show
9/19/17 - Whoops! His legs didn't move when walking north on the map screen. Fixed it!

DOWNLOAD

I've been on a HUGE Final Fantasy kick lately. I've beaten VII and III, and I'm currently playing through IV and V. I've come to notice that Final Fantasy V doesn't seem to get a lot of love, likely because it took so long for V to be localized. Even having played little bits and pieces of nearly every Final Fantasy, V sticks out to me. Maybe it's because it's just so goddamn bright and happy compared to other games in the series. Maybe it's that the story is simple, but effective.

Whatever the case, I'm having a blast with it, and I thought that I'd like to bridge two of my favorite game series together... as I am wont to do.

And so we have the wandering protagonist Bartz Klauser, who followed the call of the wind all the way to the Mushroom Kingdom! He replaces Link, of course, and powers up by donning one of his many available Job outfits from FFV!

• Drinking a Tonic restores Bartz's HP, indicated by the addition of the Mime cape and a broadsword to replace his dagger.
• The Rod makes Bartz a Black Mage, allowing him to cast Fire!
• The Staff turns him into a Time Mage that casts Stop to freeze foes in place!
• The Lance suits him up in Dragoon armor, giving him a Jump so powerful it feels like flying!
• The Ninja's Katana gives him the ability to hide in the shadows with the Alt. Jump button, in addition to limited flight.
• The Bow allows him to practice his Hunter's marksmanship by firing magical arrows.
• Finally, the Wonder Wand shrinks him down to Mini size, which allows him free unlimited flight until he lands... somehow.

FINAL FANTASY and all related characters, indicia © SQUARE ENIX. Sprites ripped from Final Fantasy V, SNES version.
Last edited by AxelVoss on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!

Re: Bartz Klauser (Link) Playable!

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Oh man a really nice graphic for a game I don't know/play! Yay! (It looks amazing though omg)
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Maybe I'll do a more familiar character sometime.
Like the kind that wield swords as long as their bodies? ;)

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:06 am

Pretty rad!

He's a little small, and it looks like you didn't change his hitbox with Ini files, so his hitbox is larger than him. And he's got an invisible shield...like most Link costumes...Also, some more distinct/obvious poses for the upstab and downstab could go a long way.

The drastic outfit changes for the different powers is fun. Creative job choices too. This reminds me that Bartz is a costume for Link in Super Mario Bros. Crossover...

I actually really wanted Final Fantasy characters as costumes. My idea involved custom graphics the same height as Link and having a shield, but those are just ideas, not usable costumes like this. Definitely going to do a few Mario Challenges with this!

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 am

You must have played FFV to get this idea! Didn't you? ;)

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am

Dr Vivian wrote:Pretty rad!

He's a little small, and it looks like you didn't change his hitbox with Ini files, so his hitbox is larger than him. And he's got an invisible shield...like most Link costumes...Also, some more distinct/obvious poses for the upstab and downstab could go a long way.

The drastic outfit changes for the different powers is fun. Creative job choices too. This reminds me that Bartz is a costume for Link in Super Mario Bros. Crossover...

I actually really wanted Final Fantasy characters as costumes. My idea involved custom graphics the same height as Link and having a shield, but those are just ideas, not usable costumes like this. Definitely going to do a few Mario Challenges with this!
Y'know, I didn't even think of that. Might update this to include shields so players have a better idea of where they can block.
...You can change player hitboxes??

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 pm

You can change hitboxes using the PGE calibrator tool included with PGE (and SMBX2) and a few short lines of Lua. You can also disable link's shield with a single line of Lua - if you're interested I can try and find the codes.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

AxelVoss
Bit
Bit

Postby AxelVoss » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:54 am

I've been interested in learning how to use 2.0, especially all the Luna stuff

Return to “Graphics”