(Playable) Megaman X4-X6 Styled Zero in SMBX 2.0!

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Ljw1765
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

(Playable) Megaman X4-X6 Styled Zero in SMBX 2.0!

Postby Ljw1765 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 am

Hi there!

I've been wanting to try and make a costume like this for awhile now, so I went ahead and gave it a go.

It's Zero from the Megaman X series! Specifically, Megaman X4-X6.

Here's a video of me going through the SMBX 2.0 Mario Challenge as Zero:

You can download the costume here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QXW6D ... xzWgv5EZMu
You can get more info about the SMBX 2.0 Beta 3 here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=16814

It's my first actual costume for a character, and as such I'm sure it's not perfect, but I thought I'd give the whole costume-making thing a shot. I was even able to include some SFX too! Namely, the SFX for when he takes damage and loses a life. I know that the 2.0 characters will be reworked, but I had already gotten close to finishing by the time I found out (and really wanted to finish), so I just finished it. I'm probably going to have to update things anyway because of the reworking, so I could really use some feedback on the costume so that I can improve it when I do!

One thing I'm already aware of is that the Zero costume currently isn't quite as tall as Uncle Broadsword. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that and keep his frames within 100x100 pixels while still being this style and not distorted. I'm also aware that nothing in SMBX is X4-X6 styled, so he doesn't generally "fit in," but this costume wasn't really meant to anyway. :D

Here's how add it to 2.0 if you haven't added costumes before. If anything's incorrect, please correct me:
Instructions: show
1.) Ensure that you are working with the SMBX 2.0 Beta 3. This costume won't work in versions that don't have Uncle Broadsword as a character!
2.) Download the zipped file.
3.) Extract its contents and place the [unclebroadsword] folder in SMBX 2.0's [graphics] -> [costumes] directory. It's important to place the folder in the [costumes] folder, not the [graphics] folder. Otherwise the import won't work.
4.) In the [costumes] folder, open the [Costumes-List.txt] file and make sure that these lines are at the very bottom of the text document:

Unclebroadsword
-Ljw1765-Zero

NOTE: If you already have costumes registered for Uncle Broadsword, just place the second line in his category in the file.

After that, save the text file and you should be ready to use the costume! Just enter the game, play as Uncle Broadsword, and switch to the costume via either the costume-change block or the cheat "dressmeup".
I should also mention that the sprites are from Sprites Inc., but at the time pf posting it looks like their site is down with a 509 error.
Last edited by Ljw1765 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Re: (Playable) Megaman X4-X6 Styled Zero in SMBX 2.0!

Postby Dr Vivian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 am

Awesome! I actually started an X6 style (that idle stance looks so much cooler than in X5-X6) Zero costume for Uncle Broadsword months ago, but never finished. Yours is finished, and has some better frame choices and even a few extra sound effects. I pretty much abandoned mine so I'm glad to see someone else made it.

I'm actually working on a level with...a small amount of X4 graphics. But they are 2x so they still don't really match Zero! (I know you have him small because he wouldn't fit in the 100 x 100 at 2x size though) Here's your costume in action.

Ljw1765
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Ljw1765 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Dr Vivian wrote:
Spoiler: show
Awesome! I actually started an X6 style (that idle stance looks so much cooler than in X5-X6) Zero costume for Uncle Broadsword months ago, but never finished. Yours is finished, and has some better frame choices and even a few extra sound effects. I pretty much abandoned mine so I'm glad to see someone else made it.

I'm actually working on a level with...a small amount of X4 graphics. But they are 2x so they still don't really match Zero! (I know you have him small because he wouldn't fit in the 100 x 100 at 2x size though) Here's your costume in action.
Cool! Glad to hear that you liked it, and it's cool to see that you've got a level with some X4 graphics added in! It's not so great to see that he looks so tiny in your level though.. :lol:

Yeah, I wish I knew how to make the sprites 2x without issues, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'd like him to be able to at least fit in with X4-X6 levels without looking tiny... If anyone has any idea on how that can be done, please let me know.

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 am

I think there's a way that involves using Lua to basically hide the actual player frames and draw other images over the player. I think that Samus' morph ball does that to a small extent...but this is a little more complicated. However, if you knew how to do that, I think you could also bypass the number of frames limit, giving Zero a legitimate walking animation too. That's beyond my level though.

Ljw1765
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Ljw1765 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe I can do a little research into how that works to see if it can be applied here. His walking animation, such as it is, was one of the things that I thought could use a little help too.. I bet lua would be the solution. Thanks for the recommendation!

MegaManOmegaZX
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: MMOZX

Postby MegaManOmegaZX » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Its a shame it doesnt avaiable for the 1.3.0.1 version,i really wanted him on Luigi's place :(

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 pm

MegaManOmegaZX wrote:Its a shame it doesnt avaiable for the 1.3.0.1 version,i really wanted him on Luigi's place :(
Or maybe in Link's place, the only thing Luigi does well is jump high

Download the 2.0 and problem solved!

My project:

MegaManOmegaZX
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: MMOZX

Postby MegaManOmegaZX » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Well said than done,but ok,i will

1AmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Current Project: Mega Man NPC Pack (and more)
Chat Username: IAmPx

Postby 1AmPlayer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 am

This is good, but the only flaw i have is, Zero is too small. Well, i think you can do one for MMZ version. Great job nonetheless!

Return to “Graphics”