Graveyard Parallax BG

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Do not create a topic requesting custom graphic. Do so in Graphic Request.
Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Graveyard Parallax BG

Postby Daring Tombstone » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:36 pm

A simple parallax background I edited for my halloween level that I'm unsure I'll actually finish before halloween. Ignore the hole in the fence. Supposed to be a sizeable but removed for showing off the background.

Tileset is from witchkings pack and fog is drawn via lua.

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/etswa2ufk2tkn ... s.rar?dl=0

The moon is also being parallaxed. Should your level be long you can change the "depth" setting in the ini file for the moon to be larger to accommodate for it to keep the moon in the background at all times. I normally never put up my horrible work but figured I'd do it for this one for halloween.

To use just plop the contents of the download into your level folder and choose the "SMB3 Hills" background. It won't show up in the editor but will in-game.
Happy Dance
Check out my completed episode
Spoiler: show
Check out my halloween level

Ytagh
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: kaizo levels and more
Chat Username: Ytagh

Re: Graveyard Parallax BG

Postby Ytagh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Is very good to use in one of my levels also i will keep the Bg to my folder collection great work i guess its pretty good for halloween I just liked the bg and wanted to download it really great graphics..

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Just wondering, is there any way I can learn about using that fog effect? Is there a site I can find?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Daring Tombstone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:02 am

MegaDood wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 pm
Just wondering, is there any way I can learn about using that fog effect? Is there a site I can find?
Yeah, here. https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Particles.lua

If you need the example I used in the gif then here.
Edit: Just noticed that onCameraUpdate has effect3 and effect4 in it. Pretend those say effect1 and effect2 instead. I had changed the effect numbers to make the example make more sense but forgot to change them for onCameraUpdate.

SMBX2 PAL comes with particles that can be loaded with, "local particles = API.load("particles")". No need to put a local copy in your world folder like I did here (although it's wise to just in case). However if you want a local copy you can find the particles API in the data/scripts/base directory in the PAL SMBX folder to copy and paste into your worlds folder.

Hopefully this was helpful to you.
Happy Dance

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:29 am

Daring Tombstone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:02 am
MegaDood wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 pm
Yeah, here. https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Particles.lua

If you need the example I used in the gif then here.
Edit: Just noticed that onCameraUpdate has effect3 and effect4 in it. Pretend those say effect1 and effect2 instead. I had changed the effect numbers to make the example make more sense but forgot to change them for onCameraUpdate.

SMBX2 PAL comes with particles that can be loaded with, "local particles = API.load("particles")". No need to put a local copy in your world folder like I did here (although it's wise to just in case). However if you want a local copy you can find the particles API in the data/scripts/base directory in the PAL SMBX folder to copy and paste into your worlds folder.

Hopefully this was helpful to you.
Thank you, it provided a lot of useful information.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:24 pm

The fog looks very realistic, I like it

AndrewPixel
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Italian that likes time travel
Current Project: ???
Chat Username: AndrewPixel#2486

Postby AndrewPixel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 am

Looks really nice, I'm really digging the crazy stuff people can do with parallax
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Switch Friend Code: SW-2755-4824-8495
[PGE Italian Translator] [I make logos for your episodes, ask me via Discord or PM]

Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny
Chat Username: Cigs

Postby Cigarettes » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Can the fog be used with just 1.3? like can i download it and it will work without me needing lua whatever that is. i only use smbx 1.3

Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Daring Tombstone » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Cigarettes wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm
Can the fog be used with just 1.3? like can i download it and it will work without me needing lua whatever that is. i only use smbx 1.3
No. 1.3 has been outdated for years now. It wont know what to do with these files.

It's only compatible with the new PAL version right now. If requested I can make it work with the 2.0 beta 3 version but I don't see a reason to right now.

Edit: Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that. I'm awake now and noticed you asked about the fog, not the background.
Fog is drawn via lunalua so it's smbx 2.0 and up. There's an example I used in the gif in a post in a spoiler above for Megadood with links to instructions of how to make it work, feel free to use that. This particular background doesn't come with this fog effect as everyone's levels would be different lengths but you can use the example to edit it in yourself.
Happy Dance

Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Cigarettes » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Daring Tombstone wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Cigarettes wrote:
No. 1.3 has been outdated for years now. It wont know what to do with these files.

It's only compatible with the new PAL version right now. If requested I can make it work with the 2.0 beta 3 version but I don't see a reason to right now.

Edit: Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that. I'm awake now and noticed you asked about the fog, not the background.
Fog is drawn via lunalua so it's smbx 2.0 and up. There's an example I used in the gif in a post in a spoiler above for Megadood with links to instructions of how to make it work, feel free to use that. This particular background doesn't come with this fog effect as everyone's levels would be different lengths but you can use the example to edit it in yourself.
=( aw man im to scared to try other version....i don't like change!!!

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 am

Cigarettes wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:26 pm
Daring Tombstone wrote:
Cigarettes wrote:

It would definitely be worth it though.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Cigarettes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am

Electriking wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 am
Cigarettes wrote:
Daring Tombstone wrote:

is there a link to this 1.4 i hear so much about or this 2.0?

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:12 am

Cigarettes wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am
Electriking wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 am
Cigarettes wrote:

is there a link to this 1.4 i hear so much about or this 2.0?
Link to SMBX2
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Return to “Graphics”