The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5493
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Too many things atm! Welp! :(
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack (Up & Running)

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:47 am

May I, the most unimportant person in the SMBX community, make a suggestion for this problem with the Community GFX pack?
  • Put all 7.17 Gigs of SMBX community graphics on Google Drive instead of OneDrive! I put all of my custom GFXs in mine!

Custom Mega Drive playables (Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG Goals (67% complete)
I have Autism & ADHD.
Pokémon Home: QRGBGBRYUKQD

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Murphmario » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm

So, Squishy Rex said on the SMBX Discord that he was going to convert the files in his graphics pack from .GIF to .PNG, and I'm currently considering doing the same thing. I want your guy's opinions.

Benefits to converting all graphics to .PNG:
-Reduced file size
-Compatibility with the SMBX 38A versions
-They would still work in SMBX2

Downsides to converting all graphics to .PNG:
-Original SMBX support would be lost
-Masks might be incorrect
-Transparent masks would definitely be different from their originals
-And of course, the graphics would no longer be in the original format
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Turret 3471
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Turret 3471 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm
So, Squishy Rex said on the SMBX Discord that he was going to convert the files in his graphics pack from .GIF to .PNG, and I'm currently considering doing the same thing. I want your guy's opinions.

Benefits to converting all graphics to .PNG:
-Reduced file size
-Compatibility with the SMBX 38A versions
-They would still work in SMBX2

Downsides to converting all graphics to .PNG:
-Original SMBX support would be lost
-Masks might be incorrect
-Transparent masks would definitely be different from their originals
-And of course, the graphics would no longer be in the original format
Personally I think it's alright since I've moved onto 2.0, and I'm always down for lower file sizes. Only extra thing I would suggest if you end up with graphics with incorrect masks is just editing them manually. It might take longer, but it still works pretty well from my experience. Other than that, not a bad idea.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image Image
Image
Image
Image OHNO

Gud quotes
Spoiler: show
Witchking666 wrote:that looks aweozme alwo, sorrt im ik a big drunk. i may have drunk a lttle rtoo muxj beer with erik.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7948
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm
-Compatibility with the SMBX 38A versions
-They would still work in SMBX2
You can't have both of these. Not because of file format incompatibility, but just in general. The IDs for all types of assets are different between versions. And even if not, there are surely differences in the frame placement or nuances to specific block/bgo/npc configurations that don't seamlessly carry over between engines.
The "simplest" solution that supports all engines would be splitting up the pack in cases where this causes a problem. But a simpler solution would probably be to just ditch one of the two and focus on either 38A or SMBX2 exclusively. And given this is the SMBX CGFX Pack, I know which engine I'm voting for :p

Closer on-topic I definitely support the complete deprecation of masks as a whole. It'll take a while to fix up all the semitransparent ones, but it'll be worth it because it makes all files in this pack inherently easier to edit. An old version could be kept around for people stuck on 1.3

User avatar
Novarender
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:59 pm
Flair: Hi
Current Project: MMX (Mario Maker X) -> including [Super Mario 64X], [Super Mario Universe], [Super Mario Acclivity]
Chat Username: Novarender

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Novarender » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Why are all the folders in the GFX pack empty
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

Ten points to you if you can figure out what my name is.

Look, I'm not telling you what to do but STOP READING THIS SENTENCE

Hagrid: "You're a wizard, Harry!"
Harry: "You're a hairy wizard!"

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Murphmario » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Novarender wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm
Why are all the folders in the GFX pack empty
The OneDrive link is outdated, that's why.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Novarender
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:59 pm
Flair: Hi
Current Project: MMX (Mario Maker X) -> including [Super Mario 64X], [Super Mario Universe], [Super Mario Acclivity]
Chat Username: Novarender

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Novarender » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm
Novarender wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm
Why are all the folders in the GFX pack empty
The OneDrive link is outdated, that's why.
Where is the newest link
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

Ten points to you if you can figure out what my name is.

Look, I'm not telling you what to do but STOP READING THIS SENTENCE

Hagrid: "You're a wizard, Harry!"
Harry: "You're a hairy wizard!"

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Murphmario » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:54 am

There is no newest link. Just use the part 1 and 2 downloads.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:25 am

Novarender wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm
Novarender wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm
Why are all the folders in the GFX pack empty
The OneDrive link is outdated, that's why.
Where is the newest link
The OneDrive link is still usable, it isn't broken. If you use that same link now, you will see some changes that have been made on my end. Until such time as a better fully online option becomes available I will resume uploading to OneDrive again now that the past issues have been resolved. Once I have all of the finish re-adding all of the folders and a backup of the default game graphics I'll start working on uploading all of the custom stuff again. Everything will be converted to suit SMBX2 (maskless PNGs) since legacy 1.3 is no longer supported. This will also save on available space. Also to make things less complicated on my end, at this stage, assets for 38A won't be included, however, I would like to add a separate section specifically for 38A stuff in the future.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Murphmario » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am

Considering uploading my version of the pack to the onedrive, as well as possibly another file hosting service. It's incomplete, but seeing as how a contest is coming up, it would probably be of use.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am
Considering uploading my version of the pack to the onedrive, as well as possibly another file hosting service. It's incomplete, but seeing as how a contest is coming up, it would probably be of use.
I believe you should still have ability to make edits so feel free to whenever you like. And having a backup uploaded somewhere else is always good too.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Squishy Rex » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:16 am

Changes have been made to the first post. For anyone who is interested please read carefully. If there's any questions etc, feel free to PM me here or on the Discord server.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Murphmario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am

I might as well show some screenshots of my pack's layout, so I can get some feedback on whether or not it's better than the current layout.
Image

I further split the blocks, bgos, backgrounds, ect. to further categories, including game style. While this makes the file paths longer, it makes things more organized, as opposed to shoving everything into a single folder without any organization. That method probably worked for the older versions of the pack, but with how many graphics have come since, it's probably not feasible.

Also, I noticed that "Carnival Night Zone" was ported over by a certain user who did some pretty bad things, to say the least. Not sure if that should be removed or not.

Edit: Also, you probably should've converted the graphics using the original 1.3 graphics as opposed to the ones in SMBX2. Some of the masks broke, especially with player blocks and the SMB3 cave blocks.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am
I might as well show some screenshots of my pack's layout, so I can get some feedback on whether or not it's better than the current layout.
Spoiler: show
Image
I further split the blocks, bgos, backgrounds, ect. to further categories, including game style. While this makes the file paths longer, it makes things more organized, as opposed to shoving everything into a single folder without any organization. That method probably worked for the older versions of the pack, but with how many graphics have come since, it's probably not feasible.

Also, I noticed that "Carnival Night Zone" was ported over by a certain user who did some pretty bad things, to say the least. Not sure if that should be removed or not.

Edit: Also, you probably should've converted the graphics using the original 1.3 graphics as opposed to the ones in SMBX2. Some of the masks broke, especially with player blocks and the SMB3 cave blocks.
Well both layouts are quite similar which is good. I like the idea of organizing the blocks etc more like what you've done, but I think you may be right about it not being feasible with the amount of content we have now. Which is a bit of a shame really. OneDrive does have its own search feature, which means you can filter specific things pretty well. That might be a good way to overcome that issue if everything is just dropped into the singular folder. I guess it would come to down what the majority prefers, a longer file path or a search function.

One thing I need to mention on file paths while I think about it though. If a folder name is too long the contents of that folder will not upload. The folder itself will appear, but it will skip its contents. That means you'll have to upload its contents manually or shorten the folder's name. This isn't a so much a OneDrive issue as GIFs2PNGs skips the exact same files as well.

With Carnival Night Zone, I'm not really inclined to the removal of contents made by banned users, since overall there is a lot of older content that was made by older banned users as well. If they were stolen graphics on the other hand I wouldn't hesitate.

The issue with original 1.3 and X2 is going to probably be a bit of a pain early on. Its going to take a bit work fixing that where it happens to pop up. If we can keep on top of that it would be nice, but it will be a bit of a teething issue.

Also as of this point, Red Yoshi's version has been completely transferred as well as a small number of other things . So everything that is in the Part 1 and 2 downloads is now available online.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Murphmario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Squishy Rex wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am
I might as well show some screenshots of my pack's layout, so I can get some feedback on whether or not it's better than the current layout.
Spoiler: show
Image
I further split the blocks, bgos, backgrounds, ect. to further categories, including game style. While this makes the file paths longer, it makes things more organized, as opposed to shoving everything into a single folder without any organization. That method probably worked for the older versions of the pack, but with how many graphics have come since, it's probably not feasible.

Also, I noticed that "Carnival Night Zone" was ported over by a certain user who did some pretty bad things, to say the least. Not sure if that should be removed or not.

Edit: Also, you probably should've converted the graphics using the original 1.3 graphics as opposed to the ones in SMBX2. Some of the masks broke, especially with player blocks and the SMB3 cave blocks.
Well both layouts are quite similar which is good. I like the idea of organizing the blocks etc more like what you've done, but I think you may be right about it not being feasible with the amount of content we have now. Which is a bit of a shame really. OneDrive does have its own search feature, which means you can filter specific things pretty well. That might be a good way to overcome that issue if everything is just dropped into the singular folder. I guess it would come to down what the majority prefers, a longer file path or a search function.

One thing I need to mention on file paths while I think about it though. If a folder name is too long the contents of that folder will not upload. The folder itself will appear, but it will skip its contents. That means you'll have to upload its contents manually or shorten the folder's name. This isn't a so much a OneDrive issue as GIFs2PNGs skips the exact same files as well.

With Carnival Night Zone, I'm not really inclined to the removal of contents made by banned users, since overall there is a lot of older content that was made by older banned users as well. If they were stolen graphics on the other hand I wouldn't hesitate.

The issue with original 1.3 and X2 is going to probably be a bit of a pain early on. Its going to take a bit work fixing that where it happens to pop up. If we can keep on top of that it would be nice, but it will be a bit of a teething issue.

Also as of this point, Red Yoshi's version has been completely transferred as well as a small number of other things . So everything that is in the Part 1 and 2 downloads is now available online.
Should've worded my phrasing with the layout changes better; the old system is becoming not ideal. I've actually already sorted all of the graphics on mine.

Also, in terms of graphics, I literally just changed PGE's config pack to the 1.3 one and ran GIF2PNG through that.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Ah okay I see. Well as I said it won't be hard to change, at least now while each section only has a small amount stuff. Also forgot to ask, what are the "Chat", "Code" and "Organization" folders for. I assume the Code folder would be for things like the Source Code, but would that also include custom LUA scripts?
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Murphmario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:50 pm

The code folder is for LunaLua and Scripting (38A) functions, like enemies for instance. Chat is for talking with other contributors to the pack, without needing to use the forums or Discord. And organization is just a folder for me to sort out the various graphics packs.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Okay no worries, that means the Code folder is the equivalent to the LUA Scripts and LUA NPCs folders I've made and the other two aren't particularly relevant, although a Chat log could be beneficial. Other than that everything seems to be same across both versions save for name differences.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
BabyWeegee
Rex
Rex
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby BabyWeegee » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Does the onedrive contain everything from the old pack? I want to delete it off my hard drive but I'm hesitant out of fear of deleting gfx I may have wanted to use.
"I ain't afraid of nothing... except Rottweilers... and expired mayonnaise."

User avatar
Turret 3471
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Turret 3471 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm

So just a quick little thing, I tried downloading the new pack from the OneDrive link the other day but it wouldn't work. Used both Firefox and Chrome, singing into my Microsoft account, and nothing happened when I clicked Download. It did show it was loading something, but once it was done, there weren't any prompts about where to save the file. Is there anything else I could try?
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image Image
Image
Image
Image OHNO

Gud quotes
Spoiler: show
Witchking666 wrote:that looks aweozme alwo, sorrt im ik a big drunk. i may have drunk a lttle rtoo muxj beer with erik.


Return to “Graphics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests