Page 1 of 1

Giant Yoshi

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm
by TheIronWarrior
I made a giant Yoshi. This is my first sprite so don't expect it to be the best.
The dimensions are 104x126.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 pm
by Gobenstraff
I think it's very well made however, the real dimensions for a good view are actually 52 by 63. I don't know why you would make it zoomed as it gives it a very blocky feeling. Apart from that, yoshi's bottom seems colourless and also devoid of shade, as if the light source was on yoshi's side and under him at the same time. To further add on this, there seems to be another light source on top of him and that kinda confuses my eyes. Look at the attached file to see what I mean by more than one lightsource.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:24 am
by SilverDeoxys563
I dunno what the above poster is talking about, but all I see here is a revamped SMW sprite resized to look better and larger. It looks really good. From a professional standpoint, in this case, don't even worry about lighting. It's perfect.

Now if only SMBX could let you ride that thing... D:

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:49 am
by TheIronWarrior
Gobenstraff wrote:I think it's very well made however, the real dimensions for a good view are actually 52 by 63. I don't know why you would make it zoomed as it gives it a very blocky feeling. Apart from that, yoshi's bottom seems colourless and also devoid of shade, as if the light source was on yoshi's side and under him at the same time. To further add on this, there seems to be another light source on top of him and that kinda confuses my eyes. Look at the attached file to see what I mean by more than one lightsource.
Well, I did make it based on the original sprite. I thought it looks stupid with the whole right side dark., so I added some lighting there. I also drew it with "2x2" pixels, to keep with the smbx style. Plus, the white on the original has no shading. At all.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:13 pm
by Gobenstraff
TheIronWarrior wrote: Plus, the white on the original has no shading.
While I respect everyone's opinion, I think it is bad for someone to justify their choices "because someone else did it" even if they're right. Such a way to reason is fallacious and shouldn't exist.

BTW, I wasn't saying that you did something ugly, I just want to be sure you interpret correctly what I wrote. I simply tried to help you with constructive criticism and it is up to you to take it or not, you don't need to justify or defend yourself.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:52 pm
by Giantfirering27
By a Graphical standpoint, it is perfect, but by a use standpoint, I could only see it being used for something in the background.


You did amazing, and I commend you for that, I just wish there were more uses for this :)

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:17 pm
by NathanBros
Nice work, but also think it would benefit of more shading details.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm
by silent_
Something about the stomach looks weird, but I don't know what--perhaps make the stomach more circular or something? IDK.

This is fine otherwise.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:29 pm
by TheIronWarrior
Kep wrote:Something about the stomach looks weird, but I don't know what--perhaps make the stomach more circular or something? IDK.

This is fine otherwise.
I thought so too. I think I will change that...

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:47 pm
by DerpMcSkerp20
so wait, is this a literal giant yoshi? as in a giant yoshi you can ride?

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 pm
by h2643
DerpMcSkerp20 wrote:so wait, is this a literal giant yoshi? as in a giant yoshi you can ride?
No, you can't ride it, because this graphic is twice as big comparing it to the original graphic.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:58 am
by TheIronWarrior
DerpMcSkerp20 wrote:so wait, is this a literal giant yoshi? as in a giant yoshi you can ride?
No (Sadly). If there was to be such a thing, I would need to edit the size of the Yoshi sprite, and I'm not sure that is possible. Even if it was possible, the sprites would still be in the same place, so the head would be much too low and to the side.

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:13 am
by Zant
Nice resize, would be nice if it was possible to ride it(although it isn't)!

Re: Giant Yoshi

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:09 pm
by DerpMcSkerp20
update 4.0 = Being able to resize sprites,
GIANT YOSHI HYPE!

sadly it isnt here yet ;-;

actually you can make it once of those mole npcs that you can stand on, if you can, cus people resized the spring npc, so maybe you can make the yoshi npc, a friendly npc that you can stand on