Impossible Gate

This is the place to post your own levels.
User avatar
PlayerYoshi14
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:43 pm
Current Project: Epic Trylogy: Mario RPG - Lost Prophecy and Super Mario and Seal of the Apocalypse
Location: Poland

Impossible Gate

Postby PlayerYoshi14 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Hello everyone!

I'd like to demonstrate my level - "Impossible Gate". This is a super challenging level, for the best players :twisted: I used the gimmick of darkness, it will be very hinder gameplay. In the game falls pipes too. Level contains autoscroll, lasts three minutes and has lots of events. Have fun :) !

WARNING: People suffering from epilepsy should not test stage.

Screens:
Image
Image
Image

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3p1romccezl6phr/Impossible+Gate.zip
Last edited by PlayerYoshi14 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Image

User avatar
snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 am
Location: meow
Contact:

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby snoruntpyro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Currently playing this and you should reeeallly put an epilepsy warning on this. Will post my thoughts once I beat it.
Spoiler: show
Image

Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Posts: 5344
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Location: Antarctica
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪
Contact:

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:53 pm

PlayerYoshi14 wrote:Hello everyone!

I'd like to demonstrate my level - "Impossible Gate". This is a super challenging level, for the best players :twisted: I used the gimmick of darkness, it will be very hinder gameplay. In the game falls pipes too. Level contains autoscroll, lasts three minutes and has lots of events. Have fun :) !

Screens:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3p1romccezl6phr/Impossible+Gate.zip

The level looks nice I will try to record it with in the next two weeks.

Edit:
Snoruntpyro wrote:Currently playing this and you should reeeallly put an epilepsy warning on this. Will post my thoughts once I beat it.

Wow, simultaneous posting. Thank you for that warning for when I record it latter.

Edit 2: Why did I quote the original post? Probably thinking it was to an episode or something, my bad.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show

Fusion best time

Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image

Image
Image
List of Animés I have watched.
Image
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!
Image

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!
Spoiler: show

Support
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Contests I am in right now
Spoiler: show
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

User avatar
snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 am
Location: meow
Contact:

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby snoruntpyro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Okay played this. It's really not that hard, I beat it in like 20 minutes or so. Overall I found the level to be okay. It was just standard platforming with a random gimmick attached to it.

As for the gimmick itself, I found it to be okay but I could see why people would really hate it. The random complete blackouts are frustrating, and the crazy flashes of darkness tiles are better in terms of gameplay but are an eyesore due to how fast they move. The darkened stone tiles were...okay? Like they weren't particularly interesting but I wasn't confused by them. The secret star was a weird addition too, it could have easily just been a moon or something.

For aesthetics, I found it seriously questionable how there were just random SMB1 castles chillin' in there but otherwise it looked fine.

I don't really like giving scores to things but if I had to I'd give it like a 4 or 5 or something. The gimmick could have been a lot more interesting and better-implemented, especially with LunaLua. The level in general was just...okay. Nothing really stood out.
Spoiler: show
Image

Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
PlayerYoshi14
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:43 pm
Current Project: Epic Trylogy: Mario RPG - Lost Prophecy and Super Mario and Seal of the Apocalypse
Location: Poland

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby PlayerYoshi14 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:44 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:The level looks nice I will try to record it with in the next two weeks.

Edit:
Snoruntpyro wrote:Currently playing this and you should reeeallly put an epilepsy warning on this. Will post my thoughts once I beat it.

Wow, simultaneous posting. Thank you for that warning for when I record it latter.

Edit 2: Why did I quote the original post? Probably thinking it was to an episode or something, my bad.


Thanks, I would be honored, if you record my level :D I apologize for not warned before flashing curtain :| Whether it will be a problem for you? I wrote about this in topic.

snoruntpyro wrote:Okay played this. It's really not that hard, I beat it in like 20 minutes or so. Overall I found the level to be okay. It was just standard platforming with a random gimmick attached to it.

As for the gimmick itself, I found it to be okay but I could see why people would really hate it. The random complete blackouts are frustrating, and the crazy flashes of darkness tiles are better in terms of gameplay but are an eyesore due to how fast they move. The darkened stone tiles were...okay? Like they weren't particularly interesting but I wasn't confused by them. The secret star was a weird addition too, it could have easily just been a moon or something.

For aesthetics, I found it seriously questionable how there were just random SMB1 castles chillin' in there but otherwise it looked fine.

I don't really like giving scores to things but if I had to I'd give it like a 4 or 5 or something. The gimmick could have been a lot more interesting and better-implemented, especially with LunaLua. The level in general was just...okay. Nothing really stood out.


I know, that the level could be better, if I had used LunaLua. Unfortunately, the level I did a year ago. :cry: Beyond that I can not use it so far, sorry. I did as I could. Perhaps, you'd do better. :? It is not so easy to set each event, that all it was calculated. I had to set this speed, because to good effect these waves have to take a long time. If they were slow, it would not looks good. First star is to be easy, the player has only has to notice that there is something.

Thank you for your opinion, I do not know what the truth, if you have grading system. Whether 10 is the highest grade?
Image
Image

User avatar
PixelPest
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Posts: 5537
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Current Project: It's a secret for now...
Location: Canada, Eh?
Chat Username: Pix le Pest
Contact:

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:33 am

10/10 is the highest possible score. The way the rating system works, is that a Level Judge (someone with a pink name) will review your level and move it to subforum based on the score you receive. They are:
  • <3/10 --> The Trash Can
  • 3-5.99/10 --> Average
  • 6-8.99/10 --> Pretty Good
  • 9-10/10 --> The Best
The other two subforums are Battle Levels, which aren't very commonly made anymore, and Casual Levels--levels posted there do not receive an official review
Image
My current project. (Demo 0.1 has been released!)

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC49mUdTYysm3o4qR-A2LGnA

Check out a new dead SMBX Discord server; bots, media, VIP, and more: https://discord.gg/edgBUVM

Check out some cool LunaLua stuff:


My Graphics Pack: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12472

My Levels: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16349

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2491
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Current Project: idk
Location: Teh Interwebz
Contact:

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of IMPOSSIBLE GATE by PLAYERYOSHI14

(Slight change to the system: Replaced Music with Replayability and combined Music with Graphics)

Gameplay (60%): 1.5/10
It's one thing to have a hard level.
It's another thing to have a hard gimmick in a level.
But COMBINING these two things in the cheapest way possible just to make your level artificially harder? That's just not fun.
You see, the darkness gimmick isn't implemented very well at all. You could just be hopping along and then the screen randomly turns black and you die because you fell into a pit! Why would you have the screen turn completely black WITH NO INDICATION right before the player has to make precise jumps over pits? That's completely unfair and it requires memorization from the player instead of actual skill, especially considering the level is already quite hard! A better way to do this would have been to have a few "warning sounds" to give the player time to get used to the level's layout and memorize where the platforms are before the screen turns black. Or you could have just had the whole level dark except for a circle of light around the player!
As the level goes on, the darkness doesn't turn the screen completely black, but it makes an insane effect over the stage to distract you. If this was the darkness gimmick for the whole stage it would have been SO MUCH BETTER!

Graphics/Atmosphere (30%): 8/10
However, this part of the level was actually quite nice. The cave tileset looks great, and the level is actualy very well decorated! The BGOs and castles placed around the level are pretty cool, too!
Also, even though the darkness was really cheap, some of the later darkness effects looked awesome! I've never seen anything like that before, so good job there. The intimodating music also made the level feel...well, "impossible."

Replayability (10%): 0/10
Never again. NEVER. AGAIN.

SCORE CALCULATION

Gameplay: 9/60
Graphics/Atmosphere: 24/30
Replayability: 0/10

Overall Score: 33/100 = 3.3/10 (Average)
This level had a neat idea for a gimmick, but it was executed VERY poorly. Try replaying the level with the gimmicks I suggested, and see how you like it! Remember, there's a fine line between hard and unfair!
AeroMatter wrote:This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.


If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at Megaman9#2897, or go to my YouTube channel, Geometry Dash MegaMan!
You can also visit me at the Geometry Dash Forums! My username is megaman9 and I'm a co-owner :cool:
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby Ace » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:05 am

I don't really see the point of the seizure lines. It really didn't hinder my ability to see the level at all, it was just kind of there.

User avatar
Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Re: Impossible Gate

Postby Yogi_Bear » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:33 am

I honestly like the darkness gimmick, and where it was implemented. I like that im going along them bam. Nothing. I think the full blackouts last a little too long, since it is auto-scrolling quite fast. Sure I died quite a few times, but overall I think the level was very fun. Other than the one-block platforms, I hated those. All-in-all I'd say well done, and the castles dont seem horridly out of place since they whole level felt like an underground mine, and those buildings just seemed like structures in such a mine. But maybe not to everyone.
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.


Return to “Levels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest