2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

This is the place to post your own levels.
User avatar
Alligator Rice
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm
Current Project: Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land

2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Alligator Rice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Here's a level i just finished up the other day. It's strongly influenced from the factory level in Donkey Kong Country Returns. The level is comprised of a series of hills and obstacles and clouds (haze) that fly past you and occasionally block your view. This level may need some improvement, but in order to improve, I need YOUR feedback! All criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Image
Dowload Link:
Last edited by Alligator Rice on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
"Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land" is very far in development. Because of this, I have decided to release the first world in it's own episode. I'm still perfecting it, but this "demo" episode should be hitting the forums ready to be played very soon!

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3433
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Location: I do not want you Stalkers.
Chat Username: Look below my avatar
Contact:

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Image

I fixed the image for you. I really love how the sunset background blends in with the silhouettes to create some otherwise beautiful scenery.
Image
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

User avatar
Alligator Rice
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm
Current Project: Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Alligator Rice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Linik wrote:Image

I fixed the image for you. I really love how the sunset background blends in with the silhouettes to create some otherwise beautiful scenery.
Thank you! I usually just put the link to the screenshot but this time I decided I'd try to put the image in the post, but I failed. Oh well you live and you learn.
Image
"Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land" is very far in development. Because of this, I have decided to release the first world in it's own episode. I'm still perfecting it, but this "demo" episode should be hitting the forums ready to be played very soon!

User avatar
Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 am
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Quest of Fear
Location: Hell

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Witchking666 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:Here's a level i just finished up the other day. It's strongly influenced from the factory level in Donkey Kong Country Returns. The level is comprised of a series of hills and obstacles and clouds (haze) that fly past you and occasionally block your view. This level may need some improvement, but in order to improve, I need YOUR feedback! All criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Image
Dowload Link:
Dammit! Im doing this too. I thought id be the first one to introduce rhat dk gimmick
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.


Check out my stuff:
Spoiler: show
Image.
Image

User avatar
Ace
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Ace » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:19 pm

witchking666 wrote:
Alligator Rice wrote:Here's a level i just finished up the other day. It's strongly influenced from the factory level in Donkey Kong Country Returns. The level is comprised of a series of hills and obstacles and clouds (haze) that fly past you and occasionally block your view. This level may need some improvement, but in order to improve, I need YOUR feedback! All criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Image
Dowload Link:
Dammit! Im doing this too. I thought id be the first one to introduce rhat dk gimmick
Sorry to break it to you, but you needed to be like 4 years faster in order to be the first one

User avatar
Alligator Rice
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm
Current Project: Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Alligator Rice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Why does it matter who did it first??
Image
"Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land" is very far in development. Because of this, I have decided to release the first world in it's own episode. I'm still perfecting it, but this "demo" episode should be hitting the forums ready to be played very soon!

User avatar
Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!
Location: Somewhere in Canada, Eh?
Contact:

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:46 pm

This level was beautiful! I really wanna try creating a level like this, and this is good inspiration for me!
Video:
Spoiler: show
My Project: Coming Soon!
Image
Image
Image
I support
Spoiler: show
Image
ImageImage Image
Image
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:35 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of 2-SECRET HAZY MOUNTAIN HIKE by ALLIGATOR RICE (nice username bro)

Gameplay (60%): 8/10
For the most part, this was a very fun level! We've all seen sunset levels in SMBX before, but the mountain haze was a nice gimmick that made this level stand out. Speaking of the mountain haze, it was very well implemented! There was enough of it to provide a challenge, but not too much of it so the level wasn't unfair...most of the time. You went a bit overboard with the haze towards the end, to the point where it made my computer lag. And in a level that has a lot of precise jumps, that's not a good thing. Also, I noticed that all of the powerups are mushrooms. Throw in a Super Leaf or two to make the level even more fun!

Graphics (30%): 6/10
It's kinda hard to judge this because...well, the graphics are almost entirely black. However, my main issue is the background. It's too light, and it doesn't look good with everything else being black. Make it darker, but not dark enough so you can't see where you're going.

Music (10%): 5/10
I could barely hear it. After listening to it with my volume turned up a bit, it...doesn't really fit this level. I think a song from Donkey Kong Country or some other game like that would fit much better.

SCORE CALCULATION

Gameplay (60%): 48/60
Graphics (30&): 18/30)
Music (10%): 5/10

Overall Score: 71/100 = 7.1/10 (Pretty Good)
It's a nice level with a VERY nice gimmick! JUst change the music and make the background darker :P
Last edited by JupiHornet on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Alligator Rice
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm
Current Project: Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Alligator Rice » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Turtwig wrote:UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of 2-SECRET HAZY MOUNTAIN HIKE by ALLIGATOR RICE (nice username bro)

Gameplay (60%): 8/10
For the most part, this was a very fun level! We've all seen sunset levels in SMBX before, but the mountain haze was a nice gimmick that made this level stand out. Speaking of the mountain haze, it was very well implemented! There was enough of it to provide a challenge, but not too much of it so the level wasn't unfair...most of the time. You went a bit overboard with the haze towards the end, to the point where it made my computer lag. And in a level that has a lot of precise jumps, that's not a good thing. Also, I noticed that all of the powerups are mushrooms. Throw in a Super Leaf or two to make the level even more fun!

Graphics (30%): 6/10
It's kinda hard to judge this because...well, the graphics are almost entirely black. However, my main issue is the background. It's too light, and it doesn't look good with everything else being black. Make it darker, but not dark enough so you can't see where you're going.

Music (10%): 5/10
I could barely hear it. After listening to it with my volume turned up a bit, it...doesn't really fit this level. I think a song from Donkey Kong Country or some other game like that would fit much better.

SCORE CALCULATION

Gameplay (60%): 48/60
Graphics (30&): 18/30)
Music (10%): 5/10

Overall Score: 71/100 = 7.1/10 (Pretty Good)
It's a nice level with a VERY nice gimmick! JUst change the music and make the background darker :P
Thank you for the review good sir! The main reason for the lack of power-ups is because the Super Leaf would allow the player to skip virtually ALL of the obstacles. With a fire or ice flower, the player could just spam the fire/ice balls when the clouds block the view, thus taking out all of the challenge. As far as the music goes, there isn't anything wrong with the volume from what I can tell. Someone who reviewed the level before you did, uploaded a video of them playing through my level, and the music volume sounds just fine. But overall, I really appreciate your review of the level. It was very fair and you did prove quite a few points that I can improve upon, and for that, I thank you!
Image
"Super Mario World 3: Adventure in a Foreign Land" is very far in development. Because of this, I have decided to release the first world in it's own episode. I'm still perfecting it, but this "demo" episode should be hitting the forums ready to be played very soon!

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:
Turtwig wrote:UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of 2-SECRET HAZY MOUNTAIN HIKE by ALLIGATOR RICE (nice username bro)

Gameplay (60%): 8/10
For the most part, this was a very fun level! We've all seen sunset levels in SMBX before, but the mountain haze was a nice gimmick that made this level stand out. Speaking of the mountain haze, it was very well implemented! There was enough of it to provide a challenge, but not too much of it so the level wasn't unfair...most of the time. You went a bit overboard with the haze towards the end, to the point where it made my computer lag. And in a level that has a lot of precise jumps, that's not a good thing. Also, I noticed that all of the powerups are mushrooms. Throw in a Super Leaf or two to make the level even more fun!

Graphics (30%): 6/10
It's kinda hard to judge this because...well, the graphics are almost entirely black. However, my main issue is the background. It's too light, and it doesn't look good with everything else being black. Make it darker, but not dark enough so you can't see where you're going.

Music (10%): 5/10
I could barely hear it. After listening to it with my volume turned up a bit, it...doesn't really fit this level. I think a song from Donkey Kong Country or some other game like that would fit much better.

SCORE CALCULATION

Gameplay (60%): 48/60
Graphics (30&): 18/30)
Music (10%): 5/10

Overall Score: 71/100 = 7.1/10 (Pretty Good)
It's a nice level with a VERY nice gimmick! JUst change the music and make the background darker :P
Thank you for the review good sir! The main reason for the lack of power-ups is because the Super Leaf would allow the player to skip virtually ALL of the obstacles. With a fire or ice flower, the player could just spam the fire/ice balls when the clouds block the view, thus taking out all of the challenge. As far as the music goes, there isn't anything wrong with the volume from what I can tell. Someone who reviewed the level before you did, uploaded a video of them playing through my level, and the music volume sounds just fine. But overall, I really appreciate your review of the level. It was very fair and you did prove quite a few points that I can improve upon, and for that, I thank you!
No problem! Maybe the music thing was just my computer, though :P
Also, why not add Super Leaves, but make them hard to get? Like invisible blocks or something :P
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Re: 2-Secret Hazy Mountain Hike

Postby Yogi_Bear » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:23 am

Very cool level!
The graphics, the music, the gameplay, everything fit together to make a fun experience that makes me glad I downloaded it. The Dragon Coins were cleverly placed too, I might add. Also, the music sounded fine to me, both in volume and choice. If you do add a leaf, only add one. I found the level quite easy as it is, and more powerups would just make it easier. (not that it was too easy as it is, since its only world 2.)
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.


Return to “Levels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron