Page 2 of 5

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:20 pm
by XerX
Joey wrote:Allowing joke levels would be essentially the same thing as allowing forum games.

We're not going to do it.
Spoiler: show
Image
Just kidding. Thank god though. Seeing so many of those levels popping up, I was starting to lose whatever hope I had seen for this community vanish!

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:56 pm
by Danny
GLuigiX wrote:
8bitmushroom wrote:Will it get more work done in rating and reviewing the levels? The judges seem to laze around in my opinion, haven't seen much work done.
We apologize for this, all of us are incredibly busy with school, work and other stuff right now. We try to review as often as possible, but if we don't have time we just don't have the time. That's also why we allow user reviews now, but the users just seem to be equally un-keen on reviewing levels. We're still discussing every review someone sends us, you just don't see much of it in the public, so it might come off as if we're "lazing around"
Yes I get that but there is a thing called weekends and after-school and whatnot. If you still can't manage to find time to review at least one level in the span of a single hour at least twice per week, then I honestly can't say that you're fit for the job. There are a lot of levels that need reviewing.
DarkMatt wrote:(I guess if you want to have a subforum full of jerks, then, hey, I'd love to see who would dare to post in there.)
I'd post there.
Joey wrote:Allowing joke levels would be essentially the same thing as allowing forum games.

We're not going to do it.
I still don't get why you have a big problem with forum games, they've never hurt any forum. Unless they have and you'd like to show me what forum in question along with your reason as to how the forum got hurt by the forum games, I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Also how does allowing joke levels and allowing forum games correlate with each other?

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 am
by Shadow Yoshi
They don't correlate. I was comparing the two because they both promote stupidity.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:02 pm
by Danny
So does most of anything, so your excuse is null pretty much.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm
by FanofSMBX
I'm not saying I disagree but as a friend I would suggest starting a different topic for "nag Joey"

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 pm
by zioy
DarkMatt wrote:
KoolKat wrote:Although we are still allowed to post them
How did you get this from "joke levels are forbidden"? Forbidden is not a word that means "openly allow and encourage".
I was under the impression that joke levels were forbidden from the Casual section but not the whole board.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 am
by Blck_Guy
What is the "Causal Levels" forum for?

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:09 am
by bossedit8
Blck_Guy wrote:What is the "Causal Levels" forum for?
Making a Level just for Fun actually. Oh and here are the rules directed to Casual Forum: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =81&t=5914

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:24 am
by Blck_Guy
bossedit8 wrote:
Blck_Guy wrote:What is the "Causal Levels" forum for?
Making a Level just for Fun actually. Oh and here are the rules directed to Casual Forum: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =81&t=5914

Yeah I read the rules before even posting here, that's why I asked the question. :)

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:29 am
by HeroLinik
Yep, I don't support a joke levels subforum either. It'll just encourage more people to make joke levels and it'll cause a repeat of when everyone was making joke levels back in summer, and we're going to see more joke levels than serious levels. This will cause the community as a whole to get worse at level design and it might, in the most extreme of cases, cause an elite designer like Kyo or Chad to make a joke level.

And if more and more people do the same kind of joke level (here, Block Bollocks) it isn't going to get funny anymore. The reason no-one likes Block Bollocks now is because everyone was doing it - a trend that was accidentally started by KoolKat's Lock Lollipops level and how it happened to coincide with the moment I was putting joke levels in the TGCA remake.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:45 am
by Aristo
castlewars wrote:It'll just encourage more people to make joke levels and it'll cause a repeat of when everyone was making joke levels back in summer, and we're going to see more joke levels than serious levels. This will cause the community as a whole to get worse at level design and it might, in the most extreme of cases, cause an elite designer like Kyo or Chad to make a joke level.
I'm sorry but what? xD I get what you're saying and you're definitely right that some people would just go along and make stupid joke levels, but that doesn't apply to people who actually have a bit of brain in their head, especially not people like Kyo or Chad. I will eat zlakerboy357 alive before the day comes that Kyo makes a joke level, seriously.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm
by TLtimelord
Joey wrote:Joke levels are not going to be allowed, sorry.
This is final. No more joke levels in this forum. Period.

By joke level I mean levels like Cool Hills. Levels with joke gimmicks like Valtteri's Bladder or Valtteri's Fortstress are fine. We are looking for QUALITY based levels.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm
by Superiorstar
TNTtimelord wrote:
Joey wrote:Joke levels are not going to be allowed, sorry.
This is final. No more joke levels in this forum. Period.

By joke level I mean levels like Cool Hills. Levels with joke gimmicks like Valtteri's Bladder or Valtteri's Fortstress are fine.
That's what we wanted to hear. :mrgreen:

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm
by zioy
TNTtimelord wrote:
Joey wrote:Joke levels are not going to be allowed, sorry.
This is final. No more joke levels in this forum. Period.

By joke level I mean levels like Cool Hills. Levels with joke gimmicks like Valtteri's Bladder or Valtteri's Fortstress are fine. We are looking for QUALITY based levels.

So are levels like Cheezburger Hillz allowed?

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:51 pm
by TLtimelord
I think you can answer that yourself. Is it a QUALITY based level with satire gimmicks? Does it seem at least intended?

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 pm
by zioy
TNTtimelord wrote:I think you can answer that yourself. Is it a QUALITY based level with satire gimmicks? Does it seem at least intended?
My level, Cheezburger Hillz, is about as on-the-line as it gets. The design in the level could TECHNICALLY be serious, but the custom graphics make even the gameplay satirical.

However, it has decent gameplay so I'll assume yes.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:29 pm
by DarkMatt
KoolKat wrote:The design in the level could TECHNICALLY be a serious level
This is not the definition of "serious" we're using.

Are you interested in getting serious not-friendly feedback on whatever it is you made? If no, then it goes into Casual Levels.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 pm
by zioy
DarkMatt wrote:
KoolKat wrote:The design in the level could TECHNICALLY be a serious level
This is not the definition of "serious" we're using.

Are you interested in getting serious not-friendly feedback on whatever it is you made? If no, then it goes into Casual Levels.
I finally understand why joke levels aren't allowed in Casual now, and it's not from this post either.

People would abuse the forum, although joke levels are technically made for fun either way.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 pm
by DarkMatt
KoolKat wrote:I finally understand why joke levels aren't allowed in Casual now, and it's not from this post either.

People would abuse the forum,
Exactly.

Knowing this community, there's got to be A baseline, no matter how low.

Re: ***Forum Update in Progress***

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 am
by HeroLinik
KoolKat wrote:
TNTtimelord wrote:I think you can answer that yourself. Is it a QUALITY based level with satire gimmicks? Does it seem at least intended?
My level, Cheezburger Hillz, is about as on-the-line as it gets. The design in the level could TECHNICALLY be serious, but the custom graphics make even the gameplay satirical.

However, it has decent gameplay so I'll assume yes.
Yeah. Agreed. If you make a serious level then it's serious enough, but what happens if you start putting in silly joke graphics that affect the appearance but not the gameplay? The level should still be allowed because it is technically a serious level.