Yep, as you may have noticed already, this project is all about Yoshi, my all-time favorite video game character.
Here's some more information.
2033 AD. After a nearly endless fight with Mario and Luigi, Bowser was thrown into lava and died, and all Koopalings were kidnapped and cooked by humans for making their video game life tedious and frustrating. Only Larry Koopa was able to survive, and he's up to something really bad...
There are seven territories that are ruled by one Yoshi each. An additional eighth world is under control of Larry. Five of the seven Yoshis were kidnapped by Larry and brought to his castle; only the heads of World 1 and World 7 are still free. The current location of Green Yoshi is unknown - Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad will have to find out where he is as they progress...
The player's goal, obviously is to save all Yoshis so that Yoshi's Paradise can continue to exist in peace and happiness.[/spoiler]
Worlds: (except for the name of the last world, no name is set yet)
[spoiler]World 1: Purple Yoshi's Territory (Grasslands)
World 2: Pink Yoshi's Territory (Forest)
World 3: Ice Yoshi's Territory (Icelands)
World 4: Black Yoshi's Territory (Pipes)
World 5: Blue Yoshi's Territory (Sky)
World 6: Red Yoshi's Territory (Desert)
World 7: Yellow Yoshi's Territory (Cave)
World 8: Larry Koopa's Territory (Lava/Darklands)
World 9: Green Yoshi's Territory (Yoshi's Paradise/mixture of various themes from Yoshi's Island) (the secret world that the player has to find out about)[/spoiler]
Other notable things:
- On the way, the player can use anything but Yoshis (because five are kidnapped, Green Yoshi is lost, and the two free Yoshis are busy maintaining Yoshi's Mall in World 1). However, there are some secret exits for which the player will need Yoshis, so he or she got to find out where to find Yoshi eggs...
- There's a Star Palace similar to the one in The Invasion 2. It's a place where you can get useful items from, and from where you can access every territory except for Larry's territory. In order to get to the Star Palace, the player has to find the Star Warp in each of the accessible territories.
- I use dialogues a lot, especially in levels that aren't important in order to progress. That way, I wanna give the project an RPG'ish and entertaining touch, and add a few mini-stories inside the main story.
- For World 9, the secret world, I've been planning to use only tiles, backgrounds, NPC's, bosses etc. from Yoshi's Island, with the exception of the last level, which will include a few bosses and characters from other Mario games.
- Also, Link and Toad are replaced with playable purple and yellow YI-styled Yoshis, and these Yoshis will be used as the only two playable characters for World 9. That's why these two characters are locked in the rest of the episode.
- There will be one special section in one selected level of each world, called the Music Room. Each of them features an 8-bit remix of a metal song, sometimes more, sometimes less popular, and the player has to find and reach the goal before the music's over; else he or she will fall to his or her death.
World map: (first beta)
Click the image to see a bigger version.[/spoiler]
An excerpt from World 1-3 or Level 3 ("And Yet It Moves"). The first and definitely not last autoscrolling level in the project.
An excerpt from World 3-3 or Level 19 ("Deathly Cold Cave"). The lava was recolored here to represent ice which is so cold that it will cause death from frostburn.
Another excerpt from World 3-3. Yes, it's meant to be a kind of puzzle level. It looks more difficult than it really is, however.
The first Toad House in the game. It looks like a regular Toad House and feels like one. Really. Not all Toad Houses look like this, however.
An excerpt from World 1-7 or Level 7 ("Pit Of No Return"). You will need a Yoshi to finish this level, and even with a Yoshi, this won't be easy... (Of course the level is not on the main route!)
A scene from the long dialogue in the Warehouse in World 1.
Those are some of the tiles, NPC's and backgrounds from Yoshi's Island I've implemented so far, and some of the NPC's that shall be turned into similar enemies from Yoshi's Island later. I'm ripping everything I'll need from Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, using VisualBoyAdvance and its function to export the tiles used in the section you're currently in.
Look who's joining the playable character party! It's Yellow Yoshi, one of the Yoshis who weren't kidnapped! He will be one of the two Yoshis you can play as in World 9, the other one being Purple Yoshi!
Credit for the playable character goes to Tamaki2511! (If the character happens to be stolen from someone, please let me know!)
That's the inside of the Star Palace as it looks at the moment. The sign above the doors show which Yoshi is the head of the territory and what kind of environment you have to expect. The placement of the door to World 9 isn't final yet, I might hide it in another section so it's not all that obvious that World 9 exists. Also, Larry's territory has no Star Exit. The Toad at the very right will explain you why.[/spoiler]
None yet. I think it's too early. (See the Progress section.)
[spoiler]- about 13% -
9/77 levels (regular, dungeon, castle) finished
3/13 Toad Houses finished
1/9 warps finished (this includes the Star Palace)
- First beta of world map is done
- Preliminary names for all levels are set
- World 1 is playable and only has to be polished
- The first level of World 2 is almost done
- One level of World 3 is almost done
- The last level is started
- The Star Palace is almost done
I'm searching for level makers and future beta testers to support me! If you're interested, post a reply here or send me a PM!
2. AYoshiGamer (a friend of mine who isn't registered here)
3. yoshifanatic1 (another friend of mine who's not on this forum)
2. yoshifanatic1 (see above)
5. orangeyoshi13 (not on these forums)
World map designer:
GFX Packs I use in this project:
- NEW SMBX CGFX Pack by Squishy Rex (Kudos to him for collecting all of these sprites, he's awesome!)
If you support the project, you can add this banner to your signature if you want!
Code: Select all