The Twilight Star

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: The Twilight Star

The Twilight Star

Postby Kyo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks to Natsu for designing the Logo.

Welcome to The Twilight Star.
This episode relies on the standard stars & hub concept. There is one big and exploratory main hub that leads you to the hubs of the respective worlds, which each contain six levels with three stars in each of them, and one boss fight that has one star for itself. Each hub also has one secret star. The main hub features a lot of things, such as mini-games, secret stars, special levels, and also a lot of mysteries, meaning this episode also lies small focus on a background story which has parts of it continuously revealed as you progress.

Plot:
One night, the power stars have mysteriously disappeared once again, without anyone noticing it. Was it Bowser again? On a bright afternoon, Mario and the Elite Toad Soldiers decided to invade Bowser's castle. They quickly realized that nobody was there, though. There wasn't a sign of power stars either. Then, something surprising happened. The old haunted castle that supposedly no one has been living in which is located near the mushroom kingdom suddenly started floating. The Elite Toad Soldiers and Mario followed it with a Starshroom to find out if that's where the power stars are, but nobody was there either. After a little investigation, they found a bunch of doors locked with the power of the stars. In the Control Room, they found documents lying on the ground, with following message:

"Once the power stars and the dark stars have combined, a power that is able to reset the entire universe will be created. That power is, The Twilight Star."

Progress
World 1: Levels 6/6, Boss 1/1 Hub 1/1, Special 1/1, 100%
World 2: Levels 5/6, Boss 0/1, Hub 1/1, Special 1/1, 078%
Minigames: 16/19/40*, 040%
*The first number stands for the amount of minigames that I have finished, the second for how many minigames have to be finished for the upcoming demo, and the third for how many minigames there are in total.

World 1 Screenshots
Spoiler: show

World 2 Screenshots

Videos *new* 09/20/2014

This is the first level. Some might remember this from the first demo, but it was heavily modified. You can't even recognize it anymore. I also chose this level because I thought it represents the nature of the episode extremely well.

There are six types of mini-games. Time Rush, which is the one presented in the video above, is one of those types. This is the easiest Time Rush challenge.

Another type of mini-game is Avoid Coins. If you collect a coin, you die instantly.

Oh, and thanks to Emral for uploading those.
Thanks for visiting this topic. Feedback (as in criticism) highly appreciated.
Last edited by Kyo on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 31 times in total.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Re: Super Mario and the Twilight Star

Postby silent_ » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:15 pm

It took a hell of a time for the screenshots to load since I have an extraordinarily slow computer, but it was worth it. Your level designing pretty much resembles Super Mario Star Expedition, and even though it's indeed not the most creative concept, it's acceptable. The tree level particularly showed that this episode had more than potential, which is perfect quality. However, I have a few complaints, though frankly not much (if there is any they're minor anyway) since I really thought the screens were almost flawless.

Not a complaint, but it's a question. In the fourth screen, why is there a red platform? Does a red switch activate it, or something similar? If it's just a normal platform having no major gimmick, I don't see why it would be more reddish. It should be made of wood.

The third to last screen has a green waterfall, which I consider unrealistic. Usually green is toxic, and even though it could be just Mario logic, the green waterfall should actually harm you. I would replace it with lava, and that could be the main gimmick throughout the level; avoiding the toxic.

Same case with the second to last screen as it was the third to last; you shouldn't be able to swim in green water. Green is the color of toxic, therefore it should be blue, or gray with the sinister recolor you added to make some sort of odd fog.
previously known as Kep

RustyBox
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Larry's Adventure - Dark Bowser's Revenge

Postby RustyBox » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 am

Has your episode a story or has your episode no? If it has a story, you should write it. Otherwise, no one knows what it is in your episode.
An adventure with Larry, Lemmy and Iggy:

I support:
ImageImage Image ImageImage

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:52 am

Kep wrote:It took a hell of a time for the screenshots to load since I have an extraordinarily slow computer, but it was worth it.
I have a fast computer which I almost never encounter any lag with, but it still took 20-30 seconds for me to load these screenshots. Either I did something wrong with the [img] codes, or the site I used is not thought for screenshots, and that's why they load slow. I'll try another site.
Kep wrote:Not a complaint, but it's a question. In the fourth screen, why is there a red platform? Does a red switch activate it, or something similar? If it's just a normal platform having no major gimmick, I don't see why it would be more reddish. It should be made of wood.
There is a gimmick. There are some On/Off switches that activate/deactivate platforms. The red ones are deactivated ones, while the normal ones are activated. So the red one is not moving.
Kep wrote:The third to last screen has a green waterfall, which I consider unrealistic. Usually green is toxic, and even though it could be just Mario logic, the green waterfall should actually harm you. I would replace it with lava, and that could be the main gimmick throughout the level; avoiding the toxic.
Well, the level is called Toxic Timberland, so using Lava instead doesn't seem really smart to me. And if toxic would hurt the player, why wouldn't Lava? Besides, the waterfall is in the background so the player does actually not have physical contact with the waterfall.
Kep wrote:Same case with the second to last screen as it was the third to last; you shouldn't be able to swim in green water. Green is the color of toxic, therefore it should be blue, or gray with the sinister recolor you added to make some sort of odd fog.
I can't use blue water for a swamp level, because this one is supposed to be one. But green water isn't directly toxic. Extremely dirty water is usually dark green, and that's what it's supposed to be. But anyway, thanks for your compliments and criticism, I appreciate it.
Turak500 wrote:Has your episode a story or has your episode no? If it has a story, you should write it. Otherwise, no one knows what it is in your episode.
It has. I'm trying it to make it first seem like it doesn't, but when the player sees the first boss he'll usually think, what the hell is that? In this episode there are continuously revealed parts of the story, until everything is revealed. If I would write the story I had in mind down in the topic, it would be a massive spoiler, and I really wouldn't want that.

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Thu May 01, 2014 7:46 am

2-4 and 2-5 are done and screenshots have been added to the topic. Yes, 2-5 is that third place from the sixth community contest so I basically only got one level and some modifications in one level in like a month. Laziness and Tropical Freeze went into my way, but I don't want to search excuses and am now anyway more actively working on this project, but unfortunately it will still take a while until I will release the next screenshot/s because I still have a lot to do including a lot of project-relevant stuff and if you read the following spoiler, you'll see why. I can definitely guarantee that the second demo will be something you should check out. I'm not trying to be that kind of arrogant guy, but this one will be more than the disappealing first demo that felt like a complete SMSE copy. To make this episode more interesting I have decided to add a lot of more stuff so this game doesn't feel like a SMSE remake, but like a completely new game. In the following spoiler I'll state what exactly will be different from this and SMSE excluding of what was before. For those who plan on playing the demo but don't want to be spoilered, don't read it.
-The main hub is going to be far more exploratory. There will even be secret stars, and other features.
-One of those features are star tips. Since the stars are going to be hidden significantly more difficult than in SMSE, and I felt like giving the main hub and stars more sense, I added this. Once you collected a decent amount of stars, you will be able to go to the main hub to certain rooms where there is "Mario's grandpa", giving you hints for difficultly hidden stars.
-In the main hub with a decent amount of stars you will be able to access challenges, or you can also call them bonuses, or mini-games. Each challenge will be rewarded with a star once you beat it. There are various types of challenges such as collecting coins, time rush, don't touch the ground and more. Most of the challenges also have a time limit. It is kinda NSMBU and DKC inspired.
-Always when you collect a star, a blue star will appear at the same spot where the star was. This way you can always see where a star has been, and whether you collected it or not. It will act as background so you can't interact with it.
-The boss from each world will have its own level. So basically there is a castle, but with a normal exit, and the boss will have its own door, and you will immediately fight it, and it also obviously has its own star so each world has 20 stars, not 19. I think it's better this way because if you die against a boss, I don't like playing the half level again. But if you place the checkpoint right before the boss, the level has to be as short as a half level. It's more like DKC and Kirby than Mario this way.
-The ninth world or special world does work differently. Once you collected all stars you could have collected up to the point before you touched the following world, you can enter the special level of that corresponding world which is in the main hub. So they don't work like in NSMBs for SMSE, but rather like K-Temples from DKCR and DKCTF. They will be extremely long and difficult, and I also plan on making them at least twice as interesting as any level from its world, so I'll save my best ideas for the special levels.
About the demo, I'm expecting to release it somewhen in July. Also yes, I do kinda plan on using LunaDLL. But I'll still have to look what exactly I could do with it, if it's really necessary, and most importantly, how to use it. But don't worry, in either case I'll release a version that you don't need LunaDLL for.

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Thu May 01, 2014 12:24 pm

I can confirm this episode will be teriffic! I'm not a huge fan of the hub worlds but this looks really promising. Hope I'll enjoy this just as nuch as Star Expedition.

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Thu May 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Thank you! If I'll ever be done with this and pull out some motivation for another episode, I'll probably make a world map episode, without collecting anything, just playing for fun, finding some secret exits with optional dragon coins etc. I actually planned this project before hub worlds started getting extremely repetitive, but even if they are now, I don't want to drop this like everything else I have done now. Thanks for your comment. =P

icez
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario:The Rise of Darknesss

Postby icez » Sat May 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Well if you are going to use luna dll here's a couple useful things you can do with it , a timer just like in the regular mario games, the ability to modify boss hp, the ability to disable cheats, and the ability to disable reserve power ups and force player as small, plus the ability to force a certain character for a certain level, there are a lot more things you can do with luna dll as well also that are listed in the command tut, also nice screens they look very colorful and unique

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder

Postby SMBXxer » Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 pm

I can't see the screenshots.
Might be working on an episode maybe.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<Quill> "Let it go." Anna says as Elsa cums

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:45 pm

SMBXxer wrote:I can't see the screenshots.
Maybe because the Site itself is currently not viewable. Mainly because of Updates or certain changes to it so let's wait if the screens are going to catch up if the site is back on work.

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Sat May 03, 2014 5:12 pm

icez wrote:Well if you are going to use luna dll here's a couple useful things you can do with it , a timer just like in the regular mario games, the ability to modify boss hp, the ability to disable cheats, and the ability to disable reserve power ups and force player as small, plus the ability to force a certain character for a certain level, there are a lot more things you can do with luna dll as well also that are listed in the command tut, also nice screens they look very colorful and unique
I already asked Chad about some stuff I could do with LunaDLL. First I have to see how it works and practice using it, and yes, I did decide to use LunaDLL, mainly for its version of "no objects in layer" where you can make an even activate as soon as all npcs of one type are dead, because that's what I really need since no objects in layer with two different layers to activate one event doesn't really work. Forcing a player to be small is new to me, though, and that would be really helpful especially since I was already thinking of a trick that does force the player to be small without LunaDLL. Good to see I don't have to overcomplicate it like that, so thank you for that info. I'm not sure about building in a time counter, since I do think it's better to give the player time for exploration, but we'll see. I'll always have an alternative Non-LunaDLL version though because some people seem to have a lot of trouble with getting LunaDLL to work and I don't want that to keep them from playing the demo that I'll release soon.
I can see them, but it takes really long to load sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the site's fault, but I will definitely try using another site. They should be up within the next two hours.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat May 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Kyo wrote:mainly for its version of "no objects in layer" where you can make an even activate as soon as all npcs of one type are dead, because that's what I really need since no objects in layer with two different layers to activate one event doesn't really work
Why not put all of that npc type on one layer? I don't see why you'd need lunadll here.
Please do not use any of my assets (graphics, scripts) in works affiliated with the Novaverse. This applies to the original releases of those assets as well as any third-party variations (recolours, script alterations). Thank you.

The ABC of Creation

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat May 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Kyo wrote:
icez wrote:Well if you are going to use luna dll here's a couple useful things you can do with it , a timer just like in the regular mario games, the ability to modify boss hp, the ability to disable cheats, and the ability to disable reserve power ups and force player as small, plus the ability to force a certain character for a certain level, there are a lot more things you can do with luna dll as well also that are listed in the command tut, also nice screens they look very colorful and unique
I already asked Chad about some stuff I could do with LunaDLL. First I have to see how it works and practice using it, and yes, I did decide to use LunaDLL, mainly for its version of "no objects in layer" where you can make an even activate as soon as all npcs of one type are dead, because that's what I really need since no objects in layer with two different layers to activate one event doesn't really work. Forcing a player to be small is new to me, though, and that would be really helpful especially since I was already thinking of a trick that does force the player to be small without LunaDLL. Good to see I don't have to overcomplicate it like that, so thank you for that info. I'm not sure about building in a time counter, since I do think it's better to give the player time for exploration, but we'll see. I'll always have an alternative Non-LunaDLL version though because some people seem to have a lot of trouble with getting LunaDLL to work and I don't want that to keep them from playing the demo that I'll release soon.
I can see them, but it takes really long to load sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the site's fault, but I will definitely try using another site. They should be up within the next two hours.
How can you use that no more objects in layer, in a way that can't be done with smbx?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Sat May 03, 2014 6:17 pm

For instance, if you put coins in different layers in order to give them different movements, you can't use no more objects in layer in order to activate one event because you use more than one layer. The no more npc-x in layer from LunaDLL solves that problem.

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Sat May 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Kyo wrote:I can see them, but it takes really long to load sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the site's fault, but I will definitely try using another site. They should be up within the next two hours.
I used to have this problem too with my project thread, Chad told me the reason was because the images are .bmp which is the same case for you. I know SMBX saves images as .bmp's so you'll have to manually change the extension yourself, I'd recommend .png.

Anyways I thought I commented here but I guess I didn't. The images look great! There's a lot of unique themes and the graphics look very pleasing, and I'm sure the levels are the same considering the screens and considering I've obviously played levels by you before, and IIRC the levels are shorter too which is a plus. Good luck with this!

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 pm

reghrhre wrote:
Kyo wrote:I can see them, but it takes really long to load sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the site's fault, but I will definitely try using another site. They should be up within the next two hours.
I used to have this problem too with my project thread, Chad told me the reason was because the images are .bmp which is the same case for you. I know SMBX saves images as .bmp's so you'll have to manually change the extension yourself, I'd recommend .png.
That makes sense. Well, I just reuploaded the screenshots on imgur and it looks to me like they are loading faster now. I want to know if it's just me, or if it loads better for everyone now, because in that case, it was filesmelt's fault and I don't have to manually resave each screenshot and reupload them once again.
reghrhre wrote:Anyways I thought I commented here but I guess I didn't. The images look great! There's a lot of unique themes and the graphics look very pleasing, and I'm sure the levels are the same considering the screens and considering I've obviously played levels by you before, and IIRC the levels are shorter too which is a plus. Good luck with this!
I think you commented on the previous one or two that are now pretty much non-existent because SMBX: Revived was removed for some reason, and Knux's forum had it's projects threads and many other threads deleted as well where I also don't know why. I reposted the topic on Knux's as well but that topic is pretty outdated right now, and I don't feel like updating because; it might just be me but it felt like that board has kinda gotten inactive and I don't feel like updating when I don't get responses because it's inactive.

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ZA BARUDO

Postby Mudkip » Sun May 04, 2014 1:35 pm

I'd like it if you had some graphic designers who could help you on resizing. Y' know what I mean. (Debozz)
And with her heart of silver, Silva!

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Kyo » Sun May 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Mudkip wrote:I'd like it if you had some graphic designers who could help you on resizing. Y' know what I mean. (Debozz)
I'd like a few graphic designers in general, because I'm not really good at graphic designing and there is some stuff I need.

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Re: The Twilight Star

Postby Kyo » Tue May 13, 2014 6:58 pm

1-S, or 9-1 if you want to call it like that, is done. I'm really proud on this one, and would consider it as by far the best level of this project so far. That's what I enjoy about designing special levels. I don't have to hold back, I can use the most spectacular gimmicks that I couldn't use before, can make it as long as I want to, and can also make it difficult, unlike the levels of world 2 I currently have to design, where I have to be super careful with any object I'm going to place. You can find the new screenshot under World 1 screenshots, because it actually belongs to world 1. The last one is the new one.

Oh, and also I've removed the Super Mario from the title, because this obviously is a mario-based game, so that part is actually unnecessary. That's why I left it out. Another thing I want to say is, it will take a while until I'll start designing 2-6, because I'll practice and experiment a little with LunaDLL.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: The Twilight Star

Postby Enjl » Wed May 14, 2014 9:45 am

ah man that level
that level
that level

you should double-check your screen spoilers. The name-ripoff [you know which one I mean] is in both spoilers. It also looks really dark. I'd find it amazing if there were illuminated plants and enemies, just like in this planet's deep sea.
Please do not use any of my assets (graphics, scripts) in works affiliated with the Novaverse. This applies to the original releases of those assets as well as any third-party variations (recolours, script alterations). Thank you.

The ABC of Creation

Return to “Projects”