Super Mario Legends (Lock Please)

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.

How should I do the worlds of this project? Please read comment first.

8 Worlds - 8 Levels Per World
52%
8 Worlds - 6 Levels Per World
34%
5 Worlds - 6 Levels Per World
13%

Total votes: 61
SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

Re: Super Mario Legends (1 Year Anniversary Celebration!)

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Super Mario Legends is celebrating it's one year anniversary! Yeah, I posted this project exactly one year ago from today. And I have some celebrations planned! First of all, I'll show you the progress on this episode so far.
Spoiler: show
W1: 100%
W2: 100%
W3: 50%
W4: 63%
W5: 13%
W6: 0%
W7: 13%
W8: 0%
Overall: 42%
Next, I'll show you a screenshot of a new level I've been working on this morning:
Spoiler: show
Finally, I'm announcing that I will be releasing a demo tonight! This demo will be of the first two worlds. So, please comment on the project so far to give me inspiration to continue, and enjoy the new stuff! Hope you guys enjoy the demo I'll release later today as well!
Check out my current project that I am making with DarkMecha!

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Sat May 31, 2014 1:45 pm

That is great news! I know people will to like SuperMario7, and wow did not know that this project have one year :D

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat May 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Good to here this is still being worked on, SO I guess it is pointless to release another beta! [I completely forgot to review World 2 When I got the last beta! Sorry, but I guess I forgot about it when you said I reviewed World 1 before anyone else started, so I forgot about because of that!

Glad to see this is still being made, and I am disappointed that Worlds nine through twelve are removed! Good luck on the project either way!

ImageImageImage

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Super Mario Legends (Demo 1!!!)

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks for the comments guys! Here is demo 1: https://www.mediafire.com/?c92a7kj8udgnbro

Please give reviews or just comment anything about it! That really helps. :D

ssumday
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby ssumday » Sat May 31, 2014 7:31 pm

Wow very good. I was looking forward to playing some of your levels. That demo contains great levels I think. :)

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

It's great to see you released a demo for this. The levels in this project are extremely well-made and everybody should enjoy them.

That new harbor screen looks great, I might add. The oil idea is rather neat and makes it look more original. I might re-download this and play all the levels again for fun.

I will also be sure to respond to the reviews that you sent me for my project soon so expect those shortly.

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:01 pm

FireLink: Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the demo. :)

sezixor: Thank you too! I'm glad you like the levels in this episode! And take your time with your reviews btw. It's no rush.

IMPORTANT: There's no world map so everyone will have to play the levels in the editor. Sorry, I hope it's not a big problem. :P

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I have finished playing a spectacular demo, it's a shame that the world map is not present in the demo.

Why do not you upload the demo 1 , SuperMario7? You remember the first version of this project ? , That contained a world map, IMO would have been more ideal.
Overall this project looks great , the design looks PERFECT! I don´t view errors in the levels. The levels were never linear , the idea of ​​adding 5 coins dragon and reward a star , it was spectacular , everything looks so perfect. Good job!

PROS
  • Great level design , I think my favorite level was " Yoshi Heights " was such a nice level in all aspects.
  • The graphics are spectacular , I saw no error in them.
  • The songs combine perfectly in levels.
CONTRAS
  • Cut-off sometimes
  • The first levels were extremely shorts.
In conclusion, Your project looks perfect , although I can notice a big problem at all levels , have only 1 output for the player, that is, if you play in cooperative mode, players will come out " shooter " to top level , and the standard "Lush Lumberyard " is not playable for two players , I would recommend fix those little mistakes.

Other than that,Good job! , I like to analyze these levels a bit more, but I have not much time.

And another thing , I suggest you put the link to DISCHARGE the demo on the main page of the project , ie , not in the comments, if not on the cover. :D

SmbxORG
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby SmbxORG » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 am

SuperMario7:The game cannot be load!It said“The game files cannot be find or loading!”,Look this picture.Why??? :?: :?: :?: :|
01.png
Its empty???The game files cannot be find or load.Please check your game files please!

Maruiki
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Maruiki » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:59 pm

May I become a beta tester?
[23:27] <Yoshibrothers> Joey is a hippopotamus
[23:27] <Yoshibrothers> his ass is huge but his tits are terrible

Warlock
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: crazy man
Current Project: Winning University.
Chat Username: Warlock

Postby Warlock » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:09 pm

Maruiki wrote:May I become a beta tester?
Hey there! I'm just a normal lad. Nothing special about me, I promise.

If you have a New Super Luigi U save file on your Wii U, you automatically unlock the Luigi Bros game in SM3DW.

"I'm not sure if you need serious help, are an idiot, came here to troll, or all three at once. I'm gonna guess all three at once."

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Sure, you guys can be beta testers! I'll send you a demo when the next demo is complete! :D

Also: Sorry, but there's no world file guys. You'll have to play it on the editor, unfortunately.

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Super Mario Legends (Poll)

Postby SuperMario7 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 pm

I know this project is probably forgotten about, but I have a question to ask this community. I'm kinda bored of this project, and I kinda want to end it. So...

Would it be okay if I finished this project within the next few days. There will be 5 worlds, with 6 levels per world. This would make the difficulty progression of this game pretty poor, and the game itself relatively short. But it will be done quickly so I can move onto something else. Or...

Should I try to finish this project with 8 worlds, with either 6 or 8 levels per world. The project would turn out better overall this way, but IDK that I want to spend my time doing this.

So I'd like everyone's feedback. Would it be okay if I cut this project short, or do you want me to keep making it as I'm doing? It really depends on everyone's interest in it. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: The previous things results on the poll seem to be the same, so IDK how to reset that. If there is no way then just ignore it I guess.

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 am

Well, the decision is completely up to you, as you are the designer for it, but I see ups and downs regardless of what decision you decide to make.

In my opinion, this is still a great project no matter how short it is. All the levels I tested were all well designed, which is most important. But to the point, you're right that the difficulty would likely take a sharp turn, and I have no idea what worlds you plan to do or what order you plan to do them in, but I do know from the screens and your posts that the forth world of this project is water themed. And the fifth (and final world, as you mentioned) would be volcano, factory, space? It would be kind of illogical transitioning from a water world to one of that nature. Unless of course, you plan to make the final world jungle-themed or something similar to that. Also, you must be pretty close to be finishing those five worlds if you say you will be able to finish this within the next few days. (I mean, I have no idea what progress you've made, but if you have already, or are close to pretty much finished five worlds with at least six levels each, then I don't see too many negatives in releasing it if you want to move onto something else.) However, cutting it short would give off a feeling that it would feel somewhat incomplete, despite the levels being well-designed.

On the flipside, I can almost completely understand how you feel about not wanting to design four or five more worlds. I know that you know as well as I do that it can take forever to come up with a level idea, find the fitting custom graphics and music, plan the level geometry and structure, come up with unique, but enjoyable gimmicks that fit in the current world, place the tiles and scenery, and finally test until all notable flaws have been corrected. If there is one thing that I would absolutely not recommend, that would be designing with low inspiration/motivation or having a stronger desire to work on something else. This can make the level design suffer, as I have experienced several times with the current world of my project. (I started the fourth world of it back in January, and now its August for christ sakes, and I'm not particularly satisfied with how a few of my levels turned out because of low inspiration). I'll save that topic for another time, but I can imagine that the rest of this project won't be as good if you are bored with it and want to work on something else.

Bottom line, there are pros and cons no matter what you choose to do. If you can find the motivation and inspiration to continue this project to its full potential, then I would recommend doing that. But if you would rather start something new because this seems like too much work then I would recommend that even more. I obviously have no idea what your next idea is, and chances are this suggestion will probably not be that good of an idea, but I'll say it anyway. Depending on what your next project will be like, you could possibly not release this project but start your new one and maybe include some of the levels from this project into your new one. I imagine this might not work (for example, I remember you and Snifitguy69 were working on a pure SMW project back a while ago and the levels from this obviously wouldn't fit in that). That's just a suggestion, but I personally wouldn't recommend it considering that the level style of your new project idea will probably be different from this one, or at least I assume that anyway.

That's my input. I think either way could work out, it’s really up to you.

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:26 pm

sezixor wrote:Well, the decision is completely up to you, as you are the designer for it, but I see ups and downs regardless of what decision you decide to make.

In my opinion, this is still a great project no matter how short it is. All the levels I tested were all well designed, which is most important. But to the point, you're right that the difficulty would likely take a sharp turn, and I have no idea what worlds you plan to do or what order you plan to do them in, but I do know from the screens and your posts that the forth world of this project is water themed. And the fifth (and final world, as you mentioned) would be volcano, factory, space? It would be kind of illogical transitioning from a water world to one of that nature. Unless of course, you plan to make the final world jungle-themed or something similar to that. Also, you must be pretty close to be finishing those five worlds if you say you will be able to finish this within the next few days. (I mean, I have no idea what progress you've made, but if you have already, or are close to pretty much finished five worlds with at least six levels each, then I don't see too many negatives in releasing it if you want to move onto something else.) However, cutting it short would give off a feeling that it would feel somewhat incomplete, despite the levels being well-designed.

On the flipside, I can almost completely understand how you feel about not wanting to design four or five more worlds. I know that you know as well as I do that it can take forever to come up with a level idea, find the fitting custom graphics and music, plan the level geometry and structure, come up with unique, but enjoyable gimmicks that fit in the current world, place the tiles and scenery, and finally test until all notable flaws have been corrected. If there is one thing that I would absolutely not recommend, that would be designing with low inspiration/motivation or having a stronger desire to work on something else. This can make the level design suffer, as I have experienced several times with the current world of my project. (I started the fourth world of it back in January, and now its August for christ sakes, and I'm not particularly satisfied with how a few of my levels turned out because of low inspiration). I'll save that topic for another time, but I can imagine that the rest of this project won't be as good if you are bored with it and want to work on something else.

Bottom line, there are pros and cons no matter what you choose to do. If you can find the motivation and inspiration to continue this project to its full potential, then I would recommend doing that. But if you would rather start something new because this seems like too much work then I would recommend that even more. I obviously have no idea what your next idea is, and chances are this suggestion will probably not be that good of an idea, but I'll say it anyway. Depending on what your next project will be like, you could possibly not release this project but start your new one and maybe include some of the levels from this project into your new one. I imagine this might not work (for example, I remember you and Snifitguy69 were working on a pure SMW project back a while ago and the levels from this obviously wouldn't fit in that). That's just a suggestion, but I personally wouldn't recommend it considering that the level style of your new project idea will probably be different from this one, or at least I assume that anyway.

That's my input. I think either way could work out, it’s really up to you.
Thanks for your comment and suggestions!

How I would do the world order would be 1: Grassland, 2: Forest, 3: Water, 4:Mountain, and then world 5 would be some sort of space-like world with islands floating in space with different themes. The way I would finish so soon would be to use pretty much just the levels I've already completed and piece them together to make these worlds.

Thank you for unrecommending designing without inspiration, because you're right, that wouldn't turn out well. My idea of what I wanted to move onto would be a really short project, consisting of about 16 levels, and those levels would all be well designed, longer than my normal levels, and more gimmicky. It would also have more of a story and no distinct worlds, kinda like the Princess Cliche. I'd do this so I could actually complete a project without cutting it short, as I've done for every single project I've attempted so far. Then, if I want to make more levels after that, I can just make a short sequel with about 16 levels again.

However, I do like your idea of incorporating my other levels into my new project. It would actually put these levels, which I have worked hard on, to good use. So I'm considering doing that, but what's holding me back from doing it is the design may not fit into my new project so IDK. For now, I think I'm going to start designing levels for my new project and see how I feel from there. Again, thanks so much for your feedback, and good luck with your own project!

Return to “Projects”