SMBXVille Under Siege!(Community PJCT; Need Levels)

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Re: SMBXVille Under Siege!(Community PJCT; Need Levels)

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:35 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Am I allowed to use a level in my episode or no?
I'd prefer if you made an original level for my project rather than re-purpose one of your episode's levels. As far as Lua goes, go ahead.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
Spoiler: show
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Good news:
I've finally gotten some time to work on this again!

Bad news:
I hit the layer cap while working on the Blueoak battle, and I'm only one and a half Pokemon move-sets into it (two and a half if you count Mario's attacks). It's gonna take some ingenuity on my part to get this to work well in 1.3 (not using Lua for various reasons).

One thing's for sure: the other bosses aren't going to be RPG battles. This is taking forever!
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Fri May 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:not using Lua for various reasons
well i mean that's kinda your fault then.
im a girl yo

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 pm

It would make sense to say the reasons bc "for various reasons" is not a valid reason why not. With lunalua the battle could be extended more.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri May 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Spinda wrote:well i mean that's kinda your fault then.
Tinkerbell wrote:With lunalua the battle could be extended more.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Tinkerbell wrote:It would make sense to say the reasons bc "for various reasons" is not a valid reason why not.
Lua is a scripting language. It can to almost anything in regards to level creation as long as the level creator has the patience to learn how to use it. Something unique made in Lua just won't have the same impact as the exact same thing made using 1.3 restrictions because yeah, of course it can be done in Lua. Plus, there are still some people who can't or won't use an SMBX build that's compatible with Lua in the first place, and I don't want to alienate anyone; I'd like my episode to be playable by as many people as possible.

Besides, Lua isn't even that great when compared to other scripting languages: Lua can only exist as part of another program. If I wanted to learn Lua, it would basically be like learning how to use an entirely different program just to be able to do a few more things with a program I already know how to use. The time I would spend learning Lua could be spent learning something much more powerful and versatile, like Unity. Yeah, Unity probably won't work for people who can't get Lua-integrated SMBX to work, but since it creates a stand-alone executable, I could extend my audience beyond just the SMBX community and make games that even Lua would have difficulty recreating.

So yeah, I'd just end up spending a long time learning something (to the point where it would either balance out or even overtake the time it would take me to get it to work in 1.3) that I'd only use once, and it would alienate potential players in the process.
If you disagree with my reasoning, please don't respond. I would genuinely rather have no responses than responses that basically just say "You're not using Lua? lol, your loss."
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat May 07, 2016 6:01 am

"If you disagree with me, don't respond."
What the fuck? Are we playing dictator?

You could see it from this perspective: Even though Lua isn't the greatest scripting language out there, learning it and figuring out how to solve issues you have to overcome will help you solve similar issues when you're trying to create something in other languages. I personally have an easy time getting accustomed to other languages thanks to my experience in Lua. I know how to approach any task and if there's a syntax-related thing I'm missing, I just google it.

It's true that creating something that utilises Lua doesn't have the same impact as something that does not, however, you can't deny that writing a few lines of code for something that would feel very choppy and is very time consuming without it makes your episode better. Take RNG, vertical wrap and multiple choice dialogue. I'm personally not "wow"'d by someone creating something complex without lua because most of the time it's something that takes less time with lua and would be easily as stunning, if not even more.

You can exploit the community's lack of knowledge about lua at this point in time. Nobody expects your episode to have 1000000 new lua gimmicks which haven't been seen before. People are still "wow"'d by para-dry bones, vertical wrap and multidirectional auto scroll in a secondary section.

Besides, writing in lua is just incredibly fun.
The ABC of Creation

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat May 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Enjl wrote:"If you disagree with me, don't respond."
What the fuck? Are we playing dictator?
I said please.
Enjl wrote:Even though Lua isn't the greatest scripting language out there, learning it and figuring out how to solve issues you have to overcome will help you solve similar issues when you're trying to create something in other languages, etc.
The same can be said for other languages, too, but with the added benefit of being able to make more than just SMBX levels; I'd just be skipping the middle man that is Lua.
Enjl wrote:You can exploit the community's lack of knowledge about lua at this point in time.
Exactly; by the time I learn Lua enough to be able to use it in the ways I'd want to use it, that time will have long since passed.
Enjl wrote:Besides, writing in lua is just incredibly fun.
I think we can both agree that's entirely subjective.

Also, don't forget about those who can't or won't use an SMBX build with Lua for whatever reason. They deserve to be able to play creative stuff, too.

Oh, and I almost forgot to post a couple other reasons I'm not using Lua (I have trouble gathering my thoughts sometimes):
- Lua isn't backwards compatible with itself sometimes. You never know what will break in the next update (never forget). By making everything work in 1.3, I'm assuring compatibility with future versions of Lua without having to keep tabs on Lua updates and make any necessary changes.

- Some 1.3 levels won't work in Lua. However, people who can use an SMBX build with Lua can get SMBX 1.3 to work on their computers just fine. The reverse is not always true.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat May 07, 2016 7:23 pm

I agree with the points you make outside the spoiler, however I want to address this one:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:- Lua isn't backwards compatible with itself sometimes. You never know what will break in the next update (never forget). By making everything work in 1.3, I'm assuring compatibility with future versions of Lua without having to keep tabs on Lua updates and make any necessary changes.
This isn't because of updates to lunalua. The team working on LunaLua is strictly focusing on maintaining backwards compatibility. What happened here is that Hoeloe, who made the multipoints API (meaning it's not core lunalua), has made updates to it in the 6-8 months between making the level and raocow playing it. By including the version of an API you're using in the episode folder and referring to that, you eliminate the issue of stuff breaking through updates. (Hoeloe can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what happened back then.)

The other one in the spoiler can be prevented by not using needlessly huge sprites.
The ABC of Creation

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat May 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Another rule specification: To make up for the fact that there will only be five levels, level submissions should have a decent amount of content. I'm not saying they should take Sanctuary Fortress 2 amounts of time to complete; I'm saying that it's preferable to keep them about the same length as your typical The Best level.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Re: SMBXVille Under Seige!(Community PJCT; Need Levels)

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed May 25, 2016 3:51 pm

HenryRichard wrote:ping
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:ping
mariogeek2 wrote:ping
RoundPiplup wrote:ping
Artemis008 wrote:ping
I'm pinging you all because, at some point in the past, you expressed interest in making a level for my project, and I have a couple things to say:
  • How are your levels coming along? Are you even interested anymore?
  • I've reduced the total number of level slots to 4, so if you have the level finished and are only waiting on something like graphics, just submit the level without the graphics so we can iron out the gameplay.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
HenryRichard wrote:ping
mariogeek2 wrote:ping
RoundPiplup wrote:ping
Artemis008 wrote:ping
I'm pinging you all because, at some point in the past, you expressed interest in making a level for my project, and I have a couple things to say:
  • I've reduced the total number of level slots to 4, so if you have the level finished and are only waiting on something like graphics, just submit the level without the graphics so we can iron out the gameplay.
I will start working on it again but I lost all my SMBX levels so I have to start from scratch.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:11 pm

ping
ping
ping
ping
I have the tileset, I have to see if lua was allowed or not. (You might know why)

ImageImageImage

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Wed May 25, 2016 8:14 pm

I don't think the level I've been making for this project is even interesting, based on the current progress it's right now. Even then, it looks a lot more like I abandoned it instead of finishing it.
The Past still haunts me.

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Postby mariogeek2 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm so sorry. I've been intending to work on the level for this project, but I never got past anything but a concept. I had totally forgotten about this, and assumed it was dead. If anybody wants to take my spot, I'll gladly give it to them, but if there's nobody else I'll try to get it done. I won't be able to work on it any till the first of the next month, since I'm in Tinkerbell's contest.

Hopefully, I can make a good level. I just want to apologize for saying I would make something and not working on it any. I'll try to make it up by making a level.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 pm

RoundPiplup wrote:I don't think the level I've been making for this project is even interesting
I'm not asking for interesting levels (although that would be nice); I'm only asking for good levels, and you can probably make it a good level if you go back and polish it up. Besides, once you submit the level, we may be able to think of something interesting to do with it between the two of us. :)
mariogeek2 wrote:I had totally forgotten about this, and assumed it was dead. If anybody wants to take my spot, I'll gladly give it to them, but if there's nobody else I'll try to get it done.
Given the amount of interest (or lack thereof) for this project, I'd say you still have enough time to make a level. :)
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I have the tileset, I have to see if lua was allowed or not.
What exactly do you plan on using Lua for? Depending on what you want to do, it could probably be done in 1.3.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:(You might know why)
...Don't tell me you're repurposing another level. I don't want people to be playing my episode and go "Wait, I've already played this level elsewhere! What gives?"
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:47 pm

OK, thanks. I'll try to get it done ASAP. Hopefully, it'll be better than my CC11 entry.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:14 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I have the tileset, I have to see if lua was allowed or not.
What exactly do you plan on using Lua for? Depending on what you want to do, it could probably be done in 1.3.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:(You might know why)
...Don't tell me you're repurposing another level. I don't want people to be playing my episode and go "Wait, I've already played this level elsewhere! What gives?"
I was going to use My CC12 level's tile-set, and use different gimmicks (It fits as a Castle/Factory). I was thinking of of re-using the gimmick as well, but that would be silly. I was thinking now, I could use reverse controls, which requires lua, no way around that, but that is out of the question since "No lua that affects gameplay". I have ton of Gimmicks and ideas I can use with the theme of that tileset I decided against doing in CC12 due to "overflow of ideas" that cost me in CC11, CC10, CC8, and CC7. Anyway, that sum it up. ...by the way, I also have Tinkerbell's Contest to attend to, so me and Mariogeek2 have to finish are level quickly.

I do hope I can still pull this off. IF we are a "Distressed Forumer" do we need to send a sprite?

ImageImageImage

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:IF we are a "Distressed Forumer" do we need to send a sprite?
You'll either have to make it yourself and send it to me or link me to a sprite-sheet of the character you want to represent you. If you want me to make it myself, I can't promise that it will look good (plus, it would delay the rest of the episode even more).
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Hey, guys, just thought this might help. Here's the sprite of Michel from 2k15 Halloween Hypnosis. Here it is:
width=80
height=76
frames=1
framestyle=1
It replaces npc-77 in the episode, but you can use whatever.

Hope this helps somebody.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:54 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:IF we are a "Distressed Forumer" do we need to send a sprite?
You'll either have to make it yourself and send it to me or link me to a sprite-sheet of the character you want to represent you. If you want me to make it myself, I can't promise that it will look good (plus, it would delay the rest of the episode even more).
Huh, I hope the lua gimmick does not disallow the level I am making. I have a sprite is why I asked that question though.

ImageImageImage

Return to “Projects”