Nucleic Bowser

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
rshell78
Goomba
Goomba

Nucleic Bowser

Postby rshell78 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:30 pm

So this is my first attempt at a project. Note: I haven't played any other levels yet, so any similarities to anyone else's levels are purely coincidental.

General Info:
As far as graphics go, I haven't really ventured too far into making custom graphics. My plan is to make all the levels and music, then go through and make some custom graphics. So I understand that it might not be that visually interesting since I am just using the basic graphics for the most part. I am trying to put more energy into making interesting level designs first.

The big feature I guess so far is the custom music. My plan is to write all the music for the game. I am going to make custom music for the world map, but I know you'll have to replace the files manually. If a section has no music right now, chances are I haven't written it yet, so eventually there will be something there. Also, none of the music is completely mixed and mastered yet, so it is a tad quieter than where it needs to be and what you hear may ultimately change.

This is about 1/4 of the way done. I plan on there being 12 worlds. I am up to Level 3-4 right now, which isn't complete yet.
The castle in each world is star-locked. There is generally one star per level, which includes mushroom houses.

Since the number of stars is important to the game, I made a spreadsheet so the player can keep track of their stars. I don't see any way to mark a level on the world map once a star has been obtained. I'll include the spreadsheet with the final upload

It's going to take me a long time to finish. I've been at it for a while in my free time. Just wondering what other people think.

The only playable character right now is Mario, because of the story. I may change that later, but i'm not sure.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rriz7 ... ser(2).zip

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Nucleic Bowser

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Well...don't take this the wrong way but looking at these screenshots, your level design needs a bit of work...
Those levels (and the world map) are very clashy and aren't very appealing to look at. By the way, you don't have to make your own custom graphics, you could get some GFX packs and use other people's.

Also, trust me, DO NOT try to make an episode with 12 worlds.
It will be too much work, just trust me. Try a more standard one with maybe 6-9 worlds? And you can't have only one playable character because 2-player stuffs.

You should probably make sure to think about all of those things before you try to make an episode.
Or look at some other episodes and get some more inspiration.

That's just my opinion :P
Last edited by JupiHornet on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: TBA

Postby Choco » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 pm

True. The level design seems to lack challenge, and there is cutoff and clash everywhere you look. Try to stick to one style per level.
I'm that guy that you may or may not know who basically died a few months back and decided to exist again.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 pm

The yellow pipe has 1x1 pixels since it was saved with Paint. Try using GIMP or Paint.NET.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Jesus how does anyone get through that clusterfack?
Like Turtwig said, your levels need a bit of work. I recommend that you add some recolors to that castle, so it won't clash anymore.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

rshell78
Goomba
Goomba

Postby rshell78 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

All of this is great advice. This is why I figured I would stop here and post it and get some feedback.

Thanks

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:20 pm

No problem. Just make sure you follow all of our advice :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Return to “Projects”