Contest tips?

Having a problem with SMBX? Need assistance with a tool or with the site? Ask your questions here.
The Dwarven Digger
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A few things :)
Chat Username: The Dwarven Digger

Contest tips?

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:15 pm

I've been thinking of making a contest, but I've been putting it off because I don't have that much experience with either judging levels for contests, or even having my own levels judged, as the first contest I entered still hasn't had the results posted yet.

So, I just want to see if anyone can give me some tips or advice on either running a contest, judging a contest or both, as I don't want my first contest to be a disorganised mess that doesn't get many entries.
I support: show

My current project:

My (sort of) abandoned projects:
I might get back to them at some point
Projects: show
- SMBXPy (SMBX editor coded with Python and Pygame)
- SMB 1.5 (SMB-based project using PGE editor, uses Sedniaur's Expanded SMB1 GFX)
- SMW: Star Rush (SMW-based project in 38-A)
- Possibly a more non-linear episode
- Something dwarf-related
- Learning some LunaLua
- And probably a couple of others I forgot.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: Contest tips?

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:25 pm

1. Be more or less specific. If you say "make a level and you win", people won't know what to do.
2. Use decent judges. Don't just pick random people from the member list, because the chances are you're not going to pick a good judge.
3. If judges are going to participate, get a decent backup to avoid any bias.
4. Allow a lot of time to create and submit the levels for the contestants. Something like a month is fine.
5. Give it time to think through it before posting it to avoid something low-quality. The General forum is currently flooded up with several low-quality contests that are often abandoned after a few weeks or so.

Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.

Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

The Dwarven Digger
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A few things :)
Chat Username: The Dwarven Digger

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 pm

HeroLinik wrote:1. Be more or less specific. If you say "make a level and you win", people won't know what to do.
2. Use decent judges. Don't just pick random people from the member list, because the chances are you're not going to pick a good judge.
3. If judges are going to participate, get a decent backup to avoid any bias.
4. Allow a lot of time to create and submit the levels for the contestants. Something like a month is fine.
5. Give it time to think through it before posting it to avoid something low-quality. The General forum is currently flooded up with several low-quality contests that are often abandoned after a few weeks or so.

Thanks for the tips!
1. I'll try and make sure the rules are specific enough so people know what to do.
2. I'm thinking of having a system where you can choose if you want to be a judge, however I will also try to pick good judges (if they want to judge, that is). Do you know anyone (or the type of users) who is a good judge?
3. I'm still not sure whether I should have a backup judge, but I probably will because it means the judges can submit too, so everyone gets a chance to win.
4. I might do 1-2 months, but probably be a bit flexible as sometimes people don't realise, or are still finishing off.
5. I've got a pretty good idea already.

My current project:

My (sort of) abandoned projects:
I might get back to them at some point
Projects: show
- SMBXPy (SMBX editor coded with Python and Pygame)
- SMB 1.5 (SMB-based project using PGE editor, uses Sedniaur's Expanded SMB1 GFX)
- SMW: Star Rush (SMW-based project in 38-A)
- Possibly a more non-linear episode
- Something dwarf-related
- Learning some LunaLua
- And probably a couple of others I forgot.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

HeroLinik wrote:3. If judges are going to participate, get a decent backup to avoid any bias.

Even the best judge in the world would not be able to get rid of the imbalance created by not having a consistent judge lineup.
Grand Extravaganza Fan Reviews
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
Spoiler: show
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Spoiler: show

Return to “Help and Support”